The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness

She also had a tanning bed in her suite and used it regularly. I find this a bit interesting as she was so conscious of her looks and those beds, in addition to the exposure to the sun, can fry your skin and lead to premature wrinkling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
There were a lot more photos in later years, especially during the summer, or travelling to warm climates, she went without hoses. Often showing off a good tan.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

Earl Spencer's father would agree with you 100%. He said it was very, very costly to maintain and that was one of the reasons he sold off some portraits--much to the dismay of his children. Turned into quite a family fracas and the Earl ended up saying publicly his children were "'too immature to realize how much it costs to keep Althorp running.

I guess some of the raised eyebrows on what the current Earl did/is doing with the Diana memorial and other things is that he was so concerned about crowds and media converging on Althorp he took back his promise to allow P Diana to stay in a cottage on the estate. Many said she was devastated by this decision. So the expected crowds weren't acceptable when she was alive but are now? It's definitely helped him keep up the estate and that's a good thing but there does seem to be something a bit disingeuous about Diana's brother's "take" on the "I don't want crowds here" statements he used to keep his sister from using a cottage there. I find it a bit odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
Not to argue, but Althorp was open to the public for many years before the current Earl inherited it, as a historic home. The upkeep on that size of an estate must be tremendous.

People want to visit Althorp to pay tribute to Diana. If the Earl had refused, that would have sparked another type of bad press. I'm no fan of his, but it seems that he is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

I haven't been to Althorp, but have seen enough pictures of the exhibits there to know it is tastefully done, and extensive. If he is cashing in on his sister's popularity, then, at least, he is allowing people to pay tribute to her in an attractive setting, and he tries to give them some value for their money. It's not as if, in visiting Althorp, people are only given a short glimpse of the Island and a couple of tacky items on display.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Aristocracy

Diana's Likes:
1) She liked tanning
2) Perrier water
3) Muesli,Coffee the occasional croissant
4) Face masks mainly avocado ones
5) Disney songs
6) I Will Always love you by Whitney Houston
7) Being active
8) Her favourtie movie was the English Patient
9) Ohter favourites were Brief Encounter, Ghost, Silk Stockings, Top Hat, Carousel, South Pacific...
10) Ballet, swimming, tennis, piano, jazz, tap, playning wiht her kids,
11)Cartoons, she used to hang them up in her bathroom
12)Henry Reindel, she loved how he painted ballerinas

Diana's Dislikes
1)hated the name Di
2)Corgis
3)She hated the dark
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Nobility

In several of the photographs taken in Diana's sitting room, she also had an exquisite ballerina portrait by Edgar Degas hanging on her wall. I don't know if it was one she bought or borrowed from the Royal Collection, but it was beautiful.

There's a well known photograph of her, sitting on her peach and white striped sofa, wearing a red turtleneck sweater, and the Degas is visible on the wall just behind her.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Aristocracy

Diana also loved things that were unexplainable in a way. She realy liked psychics and mediums. She also enjoyed burning incense in her home when she was dating Hasnat Khan. In Paul Burrell's book it said that she also loved her ballet pointe shoes she kept them on the back of her bedroom door.
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 07-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I guess some of the raised eyebrows on what the current Earl did/is doing with the Diana memorial and other things is that he was so concerned about crowds and media converging on Althorp he took back his promise to allow P Diana to stay in a cottage on the estate. Many said she was devastated by this decision. So the expected crowds weren't acceptable when she was alive but are now? It's definitely helped him keep up the estate and that's a good thing but there does seem to be something a bit disingeuous about Diana's brother's "take" on the "I don't want crowds here" statements he used to keep his sister from using a cottage there. I find it a bit odd.
But, perhaps, Earl Spencer regrets his refusal to allow Diana a cottage on the estate, and, since allowing her burial on the Oval and building this tasteful musuem is all that he has left to give to her, he is doing it the best way he can.

So many of us, when a loved one dies suddenly, have said we wished we had done this or that differently. It's highly likely that is how the Earl felt about Diana as well.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Commoner

Why would any one believe the words of an energy healer?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Aristocracy

Diana likes: She loved listening to music and always listened to Disney songs in the car like "A Whole new world" from "Aladdin" and Beauty and the Beast." She loved tennis and was an avid sun worshipper. She did very good impersonations of The Muppet Miss Piggy and The Queen. Her favourite ballet dancers were Mikhail Baryshnikov and Dame Margot Fonteyn. She also enjoyed jazz and tap dancing. She also enjoyed watching children do ballet performance rehearsals and talked to them about their pleasures and problems.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Gentry

I know that she liked to rise early and also go to bed early. Her favorite meal of the day was breakfast. She also like to watch the odd soap opera. She also liked to write thank you notes as soon as she came in from a dinner or received a gift, something she learned from her father and also taught her sons.

Lily
Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudie
Why would any one believe the words of an energy healer?
I agree, but I had a wonderful friend, who was very bright, but put great faith into such things. Who knows, why people believe this or that.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Nobility

She said she loved bacon sandwiches and would have walked miles for one.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Nobility

Yes, Diana the sun worshiper and she had a fair complexion. I wonder what her skin would have looked like now if she was still alive?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Gentry

I think her skin would still look good as she would still be fairly young, it would be later on when it would have started to show and perhaps she might have wised up and started to not tan as often in her 40's!

Lily
Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily97
I know that she liked to rise early and also go to bed early. Her favorite meal of the day was breakfast. She also like to watch the odd soap opera. She also liked to write thank you notes as soon as she came in from a dinner or received a gift, something she learned from her father and also taught her sons.

Lily
When Charles and Diana were at Balmoral (I think) after the wedding, someone asked Diana if she had cooked breakfast and she replied, "I don't eat breakfast." It's funny how people change as they get older, isn't it?

Hello, everyone, I'm new to the forum.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Smile Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim
When Charles and Diana were at Balmoral (I think) after the wedding, someone asked Diana if she had cooked breakfast and she replied, "I don't eat breakfast." It's funny how people change as they get older, isn't it?

Hello, everyone, I'm new to the forum.
Hello Prim welcome to the royal forums.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 PM

Thank you Sirhon!

I remember reading in a Diana biography (can't remember which one) that she was also into crystals and placed them in her home because she believed they had some sort of calming effect.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

a loving princess

we still needed her in the world .
but we come into the world without invitation
and so we depart it.itis a hindu belief I think, that it if it is
the destiny of someone to be something and another is able to thwart it;
that person's life is shortened because they
are unable to fulfill their purpose in terra nostra.
i often wonder about destiny when I muse
about Diana and I think there is no such thing anymore.
I think that there is the authority of chance ; the collusion of fate;
and people who can and will have skilled manipualtion of situations.
that applies to all our lives and
not Princess Diana's exclusively.
The Princess was a lady full of love
and in a coarse and unforgiving world what a
privilege it was to walk the earth at the same time that she did.
Princess Diana liked to magnanmously shower her love on us without making distinctions for the persons involved
I think she also liked to be fair and her sense of justice and caring were high.
I know that Princess Diana would "like" that she is beloved even in Upper Jerusalem.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie View Post
In several of the photographs taken in Diana's sitting room, she also had an exquisite ballerina portrait by Edgar Degas hanging on her wall. I don't know if it was one she bought or borrowed from the Royal Collection, but it was beautiful.

There's a well known photograph of her, sitting on her peach and white striped sofa, wearing a red turtleneck sweater, and the Degas is visible on the wall just behind her.
hello sassie,
the painting is actually by Robert Heindel it says that in the Andrew Morton book Diana Her true story.
Although it does look like Degas!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Aristocracy

She also loved beans on taost sitting in front of the tv for dinner.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Gentry

Diana's favorite dessert. It was featured yesterday with the chef preparing it on the show.

Eating royally: Diana's favorite pudding recipes - TODAY: Food & Wine - MSNBC.com

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana