The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Aristocracy

According to both Burrell in his book and Andrew Morton's Diana:In Pursuit of Love the last time Diana spoke with her mother was when Frances called (rather drunk at the time) and called Diana names for her choice in companions. Frances denies she was drunk but admits that Diana never took another one of her calls and returned her letters unopened.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakodas
She spoke with him. He spoke of her on his show.
I apologize for this statement. What I meant was that when Maria and Paul Burrell were on Larry King, Larry asked what Diana's favorite perfume was and Paul said it was Hermes.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

I found it interesting in his book and/or some articles in 'Hello,' Paul said one of the first things he did after learning of the Princess' death was go to her bedroom and lock up her jewelry and other possessions of value and then cleaned up her dressing table. I remember quite specifically--because I made a point of trying some at a store--that he said he carefully cleaned up her makeup and made sure all the tops of her perfume bottles were put on properly, particularly her hermes and rue de fauburg (sp?). I just was wondering what was going through his head that he would run to her room and tidy up her dressing table. Locking her jewels, I could see. But worrying about her perfumes and makeup seemed odd. He didn't go through her closet looking for a suitable dress; instead he was playing around with her dressing table things.....Seemed strange.

Quote:
I apologize for this statement. What I meant was taht when Maria and Paul Burrell were on Larry King, Larry asked what Diana's favorite perfume was and Paul said it was Hermes.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Serene Highness

I read that, too, and some other reporter who lived near Frances thought it was a "bit of a lark" to call Frances in the evening "after she'd had a few drinks," then ask her questions. I don't know if his name was mentioned; I'l look again but that's just so cruel. He said "well, I'm not sure if she had a problem but it was 'fun' to get her on the telephone after dinner and listen to what she had to say about her daughter and the family." :(

Quote:
According to both Burrell in his book and Andrew Morton's Diana:In Pursuit of Love the last time Diana spoke with her mother was when Frances called (rather drunk at the time) and called Diana names for her choice in companions. Frances denies she was drunk but admits that Diana never took another one of her calls and returned her letters unopened.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I found it interesting in his book and/or some articles in 'Hello,' Paul said one of the first things he did after learning of the Princess' death was go to her bedroom and lock up her jewelry and other possessions of value and then cleaned up her dressing table. I remember quite specifically--because I made a point of trying some at a store--that he said he carefully cleaned up her makeup and made sure all the tops of her perfume bottles were put on properly, particularly her hermes and rue de fauburg (sp?). I just was wondering what was going through his head that he would run to her room and tidy up her dressing table. Locking her jewels, I could see. But worrying about her perfumes and makeup seemed odd. He didn't go through her closet looking for a suitable dress; instead he was playing around with her dressing table things.....Seemed strange.
Well, hate to post in support of Paul but what we do in moments of grief and shock often have no reason. I have the same name as my grandmother. When my grandfather died, I was accidentally notified first after the doctor verified my name on the phone. I started boiling pasta. I wasn't able to contact anyone because they were all on the way to hospital already. This was before the days of common cell phones. So I cooked. I started making casseroles.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

True, we all cope with grief differently. Perhaps he was just reverting to being protective and not wanting anything of Diana's to be seen at less than its best.

Quote:
Well, hate to post in support of Paul but what we do in moments of grief and shock often have no reason. I have the same name as my grandmother. When my grandfather died, I was accidentally notified first after the doctor verified my name on the phone. I started boiling pasta. I wasn't able to contact anyone because they were all on the way to hospital already. This was before the days of common cell phones. So I cooked. I started making casseroles.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn

What I just don't understand is how the two could be so close (and Diana had a close relationship with Victoria Lockwood, as well), having endured so much together--and then this rift occured. I don't think I've ever heard him explain why he thought the rift occured or at whose behest.
I'm not a big fan of Diana's brother (I'm an admirer of his late sister though) but with all due respect, he doesn't owe anyone any explanation as to why there was a rift at the end, now does he? It's an entirely private matter, if you'd ask me.

My 2 cents on all the Spencer siblings is that they just seem very hot-headed (albeit warm-hearted) individuals who are prone to reacting emotionally strongly & taking spontaneous actions/decisions, with good and less-well-received results..
Old 01-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Normally, I don't mind the family coming into some good luck when one of their own makes good but several people close to the Spencers said that her father distrusted the marriage and warned Diana against it. Its hard to reconcile that image with that of the Earl in early interviews who bragged of his daughter's suitability for the role because she 'had never had a lover' and mused about Charles asking his permission saying playfully, 'I wonder what he would have done if I had said no' It seemed he was pushing his daughter to the world as perfect princess material while at the same time privately having grave doubts of how the marriage would turn out. It did look that they were pushing Diana to the fore to make themselves look good and I think that was just irresponsible.
I see what you're saying but I think it's perfectly normal for a father who may have his private doubts about the suitability of a marriage of one of his children, to publicly come to the rescue of, or publicly defend and support and speak well of, a daughter. I think that is even commendable. I don't think he was per se pushing his daughter forward as a candidate so much as he was publicly supporting her: what good parent would NOT do that?

And whatever Diana's father's private thoughts were regarding his daughter's suitability and eventually marriage, the late earl Spencer was a proven loving parent. It is thanks to him that there is so much footage on film and in photographs of the Spencer siblings, and thus of Diana, of their childhood years. I have watched some of the films he shot of his kids and these films just ooze fatherly love: the love of the person behind the camera for his subjects, his kids, is just palpable.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Nobility

Even though she seemed to prefer Fogal tights, I think in general she disliked wearing tights or pantyhose. There are quite a few photos of her with dresses on and no hose. For example, I saw one from Feb. 1982, where she has on the fuschia pink winter coat (w/pom pom ties at neck) and a hat, and she has bare legs.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:17 AM
Commoner

From a book I have Diana also loved frogs and she had a frog theme in her homes.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
There are quite a few photos of her with dresses on and no hose. For example, I saw one from Feb. 1982, where she has on the fuschia pink winter coat (w/pom pom ties at neck) and a hat, and she has bare legs.
There were a lot more photos in later years, especially during the summer, or travelling to warm climates, she went without hoses. Often showing off a good tan.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
I don't know if the earl was misquoted or not but you do bring up a valid point concerning business as usual at Althrop. Maybe the shrine isn't losing money. How is the earl's furniture collection doing? These are issues that make you go "hmm?".
From what I've read here and some other articles in well known papers (don't remember the names right now) but just last year some time, the Earl was planning on opening up Althorp for weddings, and large convention type groups, but he was mostly focusing on weddings. If I remember correctly, he did say the the Diana Memorial or shrine was loosing money and that he planned on loaning it out as a traveling memorial of her, and that the general upkeep of Althorpe was very expensive, which is why he was doing these things. They even had a picture of a roped off area with a marbel shrine with a bench and at the top of the shrine it had Diana written on it. The caption for the picture said that the wedding party would be allowed to take pictures in that area.
Whatever his reasons are for doing this, I find everything this man does as well as the man himself, very distastful. If he wanted to market his house, his furniture, and whatever else he has, he could have gone about it in a different manner if he was a professonal business man that he claims to be, or should I say, "portrays" himself to be.
He is in it for the money and what he can milk out of it by using his sisters name and that's it. He is just money hungry. I'm sure if Diana had not been his sister, he would probably not be vesting himself in these so called business ventures.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Nobility

Not to argue, but Althorp was open to the public for many years before the current Earl inherited it, as a historic home. The upkeep on that size of an estate must be tremendous.

People want to visit Althorp to pay tribute to Diana. If the Earl had refused, that would have sparked another type of bad press. I'm no fan of his, but it seems that he is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

I haven't been to Althorp, but have seen enough pictures of the exhibits there to know it is tastefully done, and extensive. If he is cashing in on his sister's popularity, then, at least, he is allowing people to pay tribute to her in an attractive setting, and he tries to give them some value for their money. It's not as if, in visiting Althorp, people are only given a short glimpse of the Island and a couple of tacky items on display.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Even though she seemed to prefer Fogal tights, I think in general she disliked wearing tights or pantyhose. There are quite a few photos of her with dresses on and no hose. For example, I saw one from Feb. 1982, where she has on the fuschia pink winter coat (w/pom pom ties at neck) and a hat, and she has bare legs.
...for sure, but there are also so many pictures on many different appearances where Diana wore pantyhose...so i don´t think she disliked hosiery
Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Is this the engagement you are refering to Lady Jean? I never realized that she was NOT wearing tights, but now that I look closer, I think you are right.:)

Photo: T Graham

When she was pregnant with William, she was also "caught" wearing knee highs on a few occasions. I'm sure they were much more comfortable for her ...

Photo: J. Fincher

Old 03-13-2006, 10:29 AM

heyy..im new to this forum..i am looking for pictures of Princess Diana and Dodi..can someone plz put them up..thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDfan
heyy..im new to this forum..i am looking for pictures of Princess Diana and Dodi..can someone plz put them up..thanks
first welcome! look in princess diana photo thread I and II:)
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 03-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Nobility

Some questions

Hi all. I remember I read that Diana had to open light, and sometime even tv to fall asleep. And she sometime heared musics very loudly and noisily. Have anyone of you heard of these stories? and where are these things mentioned? Thank you very much. :)
Old 03-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida
Hi all. I remember I read that Diana had to open light, and sometime even tv to fall asleep. And she sometime heared musics very loudly and noisily. Have anyone of you heard of these stories? and where are these things mentioned? Thank you very much. :)
i read these things in Burrell's book.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Serene Highness

No, he certainly doesn't owe anyone anything. In the past though he was quite outspoken about his sister; one of the reasons I think NBC hired him for awhile as a correspondent. Agree 100% about the hot-headed Spencer kids!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
I'm not a big fan of Diana's brother (I'm an admirer of his late sister though) but with all due respect, he doesn't owe anyone any explanation as to why there was a rift at the end, now does he? It's an entirely private matter, if you'd ask me.

My 2 cents on all the Spencer siblings is that they just seem very hot-headed (albeit warm-hearted) individuals who are prone to reacting emotionally strongly & taking spontaneous actions/decisions, with good and less-well-received results..

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana