The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Thank you all for your replies.....you are right; she did love the Spencer family tiara and was very hurt when her brother demanded she return it--for no good reason. I have more to add.
Does anyone know why the Earl demanded the tiara back?
Did he demand or did he ask? Why would he be so mean?

Old 07-30-2005, 01:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
Diana and her brother did not have a good brother/sister relationship. After they had an argument concerning his rescinding an offer for Diana to have a private cottage on the grounds of Althorp, Charles Spencer demanded the tiara back out of spite.

He offered Diana refuge on the grounds of Althorp. Diana had picked a cottage and was redecorating it. Right then, Earl Spencer pulled the carpet out from under her feet leaving Diana extremely hurt and angry. Why offer and then take it away when the project is already going forward? It has been said that he withdrew the offer because of the presence of bodyguards, but they would only have been there when William and Harry came to visit. Diana did away with her bodyguards upon separating from Prince Charles.

Diana had every right to mad at her brother for this!

Old 07-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't know what the timing was in terms of the return of the tiara and his own wedding, but once he was married his wife would be needing to use the tiara, and Diana did have the use of another one. It could well be that it was the result of a family spat, though. It seems as though they're quite common among the Spencers (not just this generation, either).
Old 07-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I don't know what the timing was in terms of the return of the tiara and his own wedding, but once he was married his wife would be needing to use the tiara, and Diana did have the use of another one. It could well be that it was the result of a family spat, though. It seems as though they're quite common among the Spencers (not just this generation, either).
Diana gave the tiara for Victoria Lockwood to wear on her wedding day in 1989. After the wedding, it was given back to Diana to use upon the condition that she return it whenever Victoria might need it. Also, there are other Spencer tiaras. Diana also liked wearing her family tiara because it was much lighter than the Lover's Knot Tiara. Diana always said that tiara gave her headaches.

The Earl Spencer demanded the complete return of the tiara in 1995 after rescinding his offer to Diana to have a house at Althorp. There was a nasty altercation, and he wanted the tiara back out of spite.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Serene Highness

The whole tiara/cottage business was just spiteful on Earl Spencer's part IMO. So petty..... He didn't want "the crowds and attention" and now is inviting/promoting the attention and crowds to make money off of his sister's death. Ugh! Now that the crowds have started to dwindle, I'm waiting for his next idea on how to make money. I'm hoping he doesn't start offering boat rides to visit her grave on the island. For some reason, that popped into my head--and I put nothing past this man!

I found it so interesting she had to have a light on when she was sleeping and would often keep the TV on till she fell asleep. I wonder why she was so afraid of the dark? She was fearful of things like that but went jogging under the cover of night in not always the safest neighborhoods and was totally fearless about that! It's as if she was more afraid in her own home then elsewhere....... I've also read there was no one in the house at night when the boys weren't home. Wouldn't you think there would be a guard or someone about? I know there were some in the booth outside the Palace; I just think there would be more inside. Then again, that disturbed man did get into the Queen's bedroom years ago......
Old 10-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy_digitalis
Did Victoria Lockwood actually wear the Spencer tiara associated with Diana at her wedding to the (then) Viscount Althorp? I found the following picture, and though it's difficult to say for certain, it doesn't look like the same tiara Diana wore. What a shame if there was a row about it and she didn't even wear it!
Yes, she did wear the Spencer tiara - you can read (& see) more about the wedding on this thread:)

Earl Spencer & Victoria Lockwood 1989
Old 10-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
The Earl Spencer asked Diana to return the tiara a few months after he married as it actually belonged to him. His grandfather had left the tiara to him in 1975 and Diana was only "borrowing" it.

I doubt he was being mean. Diana was separated at that point and rarely wore tiaras anyway. He also knew she had the Lover's Knot Tiara for her use, so it's not like she didn't have one to use.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The whole tiara/cottage business was just spiteful on Earl Spencer's part IMO. So petty..... He didn't want "the crowds and attention" and now is inviting/promoting the attention and crowds to make money off of his sister's death. Ugh! Now that the crowds have started to dwindle, I'm waiting for his next idea on how to make money. I'm hoping he doesn't start offering boat rides to visit her grave on the island. For some reason, that popped into my head--and I put nothing past this man!

I found it so interesting she had to have a light on when she was sleeping and would often keep the TV on till she fell asleep. I wonder why she was so afraid of the dark? She was fearful of things like that but went jogging under the cover of night in not always the safest neighborhoods and was totally fearless about that! It's as if she was more afraid in her own home then elsewhere....... I've also read there was no one in the house at night when the boys weren't home. Wouldn't you think there would be a guard or someone about? I know there were some in the booth outside the Palace; I just think there would be more inside. Then again, that disturbed man did get into the Queen's bedroom years ago......

Very good post Maryshawn!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Commoner

Thanks for the link, Squidgy. Yes, I see now that it definitely is the same tiara... only it looks so huge on her head as she's so much smaller than Diana!
Old 10-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy_digitalis
Thanks for the link, Squidgy. Yes, I see now that it definitely is the same tiara... only it looks so huge on her head as she's so much smaller than Diana!
Not only smaller in height, but Victoria was suffering from anorexia before and during her marriage to Earl Spencer. Victoria has my utmost sympathy for what she had to put up with in that man. I believe Diana was kind to Victoria, understanding her plight all to well within her family and the Royal Family.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
Do we know that Charles didn't come to love her, or was it just that he couldn't live with her? One of the most touching stories I've read about her likes was when Charles went to Paris to collect her body, and they were getting her ready to leave the hospital. He asked them to look for her earrings (one was lost) because, he said, she always liked to wear them when she was out in public.
I remember reading this story too and thought the same thing...it was very touching.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Serene Highness

That story is very, very touching. He was quite disturbed about the fact one was missing and kept saying "Diana always wore earrings in public; we must find it." And, yes, it turned up later in the dashboard of the car.

I also found the french nurses and representatives from the funeral home very sympathetic and kind in their treatment of Diana before Paul Burrell then Prince Charles arrived. One found a recent photo of Diana and they used it as their guide as they carefully made her up and restyled her hair. Before the black dress from Margaret Jay, the British ambassador's wife, arrived, the nurses stood guard to make sure Diana's body was always discreetly covered so no one would see anything but her face. And all of this on their own accord as everyone in administration was busy dealing with the press and other matters.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:00 AM
Aristocracy

According to Paul Burrell, Hermes 24 Faubourg was on her dressing table at the time of her death. Apparently, Diana admitted on Larry King that it was her favorite as well.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Aristocracy

Did someone already mention Diana disliked emeralds? It is true.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I never heard of that story. It is very touching. One of those good and real moments that are overlooked.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakodas
Did someone already mention Diana disliked emeralds? It is true.
Interesting. I think I vageuly remember hearing that when Diana and Charles got engaged, people came to the palace with lots of rings to choose from, and they had been instructed 'not to bring rubies or emeralds' I can't remember where I heard that though, I think it was true.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Aristocracy

Angry

Quote:
Diana and her brother did not have a good brother/sister relationship. After they had an argument concerning his rescinding an offer for Diana to have a private cottage on the grounds of Althorp, Charles Spencer demanded the tiara back out of spite. Diana had every right to mad at her brother for this
This is truly sad. If this is the case. Then I am happy that William & Harry really have nothing to do with him. Kick someone while they are down {ed}.
Quote:
The whole tiara/cottage business was just spiteful on Earl Spencer's part IMO. So petty...
I have always heard somethings about this but, never realy knew the details . I have to stop reading now, {ed}. I am liking this man even less than I already .
Old 11-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Nobility

Diana was never on Larry King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakodas
According to Paul Burrell, Hermes 24 Faubourg was on her dressing table at the time of her death. Apparently, Diana admitted on Larry King that it was her favorite as well.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
The whole tiara/cottage business was just spiteful on Earl Spencer's part IMO. So petty.....
I respecfully disagree Maryshawn. Earl Spencer is not one of my favorite people but I can't understand why people would fault him for this.

The Spencer tiara has traditionally been reserved for daughters of the family at their weddings and for the Countess to wear at tiara functions. Like other family heirlooms, it was meant to stay in the familly. For the Earl to lend it out to Diana for other functions was already being generous, It didn't belong to Diana by right. Surely when he married he was well within his rights to expect the tiara back for his wife.

As far as his conduct after her death, it is just disgusting I agree. I don't know what his game is now, but when he didn't want Diana to come to Althorp he may have been influenced by his wife and children at the time. They could be justified in thinking that the presence of the press would disrupt their lives.

The Earl and Diana were very close as children. I think its sad that they drifted apart in adulthood because I believe her relationship with her brother was one of the few really close relationships she had from childhood.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
Diana was never on Larry King.
She spoke with him. He spoke of her on his show.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana