The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Heir Apparent

The Late Princess Diana news thread 6: June-September 2007

Coat of Arms of the Late Princess of Wales

The Late Diana, Princess of Wales
News Thread, Part 6

commencing June 2007

The News thread part 5, covering the period from April to June 2007
can be found here

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
William & Harry still angry at Channel 4
The Royalist - William & Harry "Extremely Disappointed" At Channel 4

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 PM

Watched the programme. Nothing majorly scandalous - just a rehash of old rumours with a few grainy pics thrown in. Clearly the fuss was fabricated by Channel 4 to attract viewers.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

So what is the exact schedule of events for the 10th year memorial? There has been no press about this int the US. Will it be televised internationally do we know?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's a commercial on Vh1 for the concert.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
So what is the exact schedule of events for the 10th year memorial? There has been no press about this int the US. Will it be televised internationally do we know?
I'll be surprised if it isn't.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Will it be televised internationally do we know?
Might be although French Televison didn't talk once about this concert. In France we only have 5 free channels so I doubt I'll be able to see it ...

Because it matters...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

I finally managed to watch the Ch4 programme this morning and the only reason you knew it was Diana, was because you were told it was Diana. The parts of the photo's that had not been blocked out, were clear.

On the whole the photographers were puzzled by D & D's behavior that evening. They said that the entire holiday D&D had been happy to pose and now they were hiding. They commented on the fact that Henri Paul kept coming out of the Ritz that evening to tell them the couple would be leaving at such and such a time and then 10 minutes later coming out again - they said, for head of security, he was less than discreet.

What did shock me was the jubilation exibited by Agency managers and the Editors of the Sun & News of the World. They were all excited and celebrating when they were told that there had been an accident - that Dodi and the driver were dead and the photographers had pictures of an injured Diana.

They were wired some of the pictures and 'they were sensational, they showed Diana with a trickle of blood on her forehead and some bruising, we had to have them at all costs!' When the news came through that she might have died, they were all hoping that she would hang on, not for love of the woman, but because the pictures could still be used as long as she was alive!
They complained that they had this great commodity and it would be unusable, they would not be able to profit.

Why any of the royals give interviews or photo ops now is beyond me!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thousands of TV viewers angry at Ch4 after broadcast of "Diana : The Witnesses in the tunnel"
The Royalist - Thousands Complain Over Diana Crash Documentary

Because it matters...
Old 06-07-2007, 11:43 AM

Where are all these angry TV viewers? The news three days ago was, "Channel 4 will show a documentary on Diana". The news two days ago was, "Channel 4 will still show a documentary on Diana". The news yesterday was, "Channel 4 will show a documentary on Diana tonight". The news today is "The documentary on Diana was shown last night on Channel 4". Most people were very bored of the exhaustive news coverage and are glad it's over so we can hear some real news. Most of the people who are supposedly are angry about it are total Mary Whitehouses and haven't even watched the programme.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose that the people thought that the statement of the princes would have changed the decision of broadcasting the photos. It's more like a disapointement, it shows that the media always win ...

Because it matters...
Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Why any of the royals give interviews or photo ops now is beyond me!
Maybe it goes some way to explaining Charles's "bloody people!" outburst. I mean, I think it had already come out in previous programmes that the tabloids were salivating to use those photos, but because Diana had died and at least early on people were blaming the press, they realised there would be a disastrous backlash, so Charles must have been aware of the real motivations behind the press taking the high road over these photos.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
It's more like a disapointement, it shows that the media always win ...
No, it shows that we live in a democracy where things like freedom of speech are valued. Whether we agree with what it said or not, it has a right to be said - that is what freedom is all about and if we begin to censor things because they offend a few fan clubs, then we're in serious trouble.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are you considering William and Harry like : 'a few fan clubs' ?

Because it matters...
Old 06-07-2007, 12:09 PM

No and they're the only ones who have a right to call for it be removed. But in a democratic country, you can't have members of the Royal Family demanding the removal of TV programmes. I'm sure that Charles and Camilla would have liked the character assassination Channel 4 pulled on them not to be shown but they were anyway. It comes down to the age old advice - if you don't like it, don't watch it.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
No and they're the only ones who have a right to call for it be removed. But in a democratic country, you can't have members of the Royal Family demanding the removal of TV programmes. I'm sure that Charles and Camilla would have liked the character assassination Channel 4 pulled on them not to be shown but they were anyway. It comes down to the age old advice - if you don't like it, don't watch it.
Yes, of course I agree on that point. It seems that Channel 4 has a tendency to broadcast some offensive things on Royals ? Am I right ?

Because it matters...
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Well, they're a leftist TV channel, indeed, their mandate for broadcasting was to be controversial and slightly left-wing. Naturally, about 99.9% of the coverage they put out about the Royals will be against them. It was Channel 4 who did the documentary "outting" the late Duke of Kent - was any consideration shown to Princess Alexandra and her brothers who certainly couldn't have enjoyed hearing their father ripped to pieces as a drug addict and bisexual but they remained silent on the issue. Channel 4 comes across as very anti-Royal but then you've got the BBC who are pro-Royal and their programmes never contain the content a programme on Channel 4 would.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Okay. It's good to have 2 different point of view. I think I would prefer watching BBC documentaries on the Royals than Channel 4 's. I like royalty (if I didn't I wouldn't be on that forum anyway ...) Thank you for answering .

Because it matters...
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 PM

No problem.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
William and Harry didn't "demand the removal of (a) television programme[s]". They asked Channel 4 not to include pictures of their dying mother in the documentary. It was a simple request, not a demand.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana