The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

The first article was really touching, I found the comment "Diana's first facelift or whats on Di's ipod" very funny.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02 View Post
The Moment Diana Stumped Philip

The Royalist - The Moment Diana Stumped Philip

From the article, reporting an episode between Philip and Diana as told in "The Diana Chronicles":

The monarch's no-nonsense husband, who the recollections of today had for many years enjoyed a good relationship with Diana, told the increasingly independent Princess: "If you don’t behave yourself, my girl, we’ll take your title away from you."
Referring to her historic Spencer lineage, of which she was proud, the Princess called upon her famous quick wit, telling her father-in-law: "My title is much older than yours, Philip".

Ouch!

End of quote.

Ouch indeed!
What a stupid and uneducated thing to say:

The duke of Edinburgh was born a prince of Greece and Denmark - a member of the oldest dynasty of Europe. His ancestors already reigned in Scandinavia when William the Conqueror had not been born. I doubt the Spencers are left-over Anglo-Saxon nobility thus Diana was simply wrong. IMHO in that case it is not quick witted or even funny, but an uneducated kind of pertiness.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
From the article, reporting an episode between Philip and Diana as told in "The Diana Chronicles":

The monarch's no-nonsense husband, who the recollections of today had for many years enjoyed a good relationship with Diana, told the increasingly independent Princess: "If you don’t behave yourself, my girl, we’ll take your title away from you."
Referring to her historic Spencer lineage, of which she was proud, the Princess called upon her famous quick wit, telling her father-in-law: "My title is much older than yours, Philip".

Ouch!

End of quote.

Ouch indeed! What a stupid and uneducated thing to say:

The duke of Edinburgh was born a prince of Greece and Denmark - a member of the oldest dynasty of Europe. His ancestors already reigned in Scandinavia when William the Conqueror had not been born. I doubt the Spencers are left-over Anglo-Saxon nobility thus Diana was simply wrong. IMHO in that case it is not quick witted or even funny, but an uneducated kind of pertiness.
I think she was actually talking of the title 'Duke of Edinburgh', not his lineage ...
Quote:
From Wikipedia :
The Duke of Edinburgh is a dukedom associated with Edinburgh, Scotland. There have been three creations since 1726. The current holder is Prince Philip, the husband of and royal consort to Queen Elizabeth II.
And if she was talking of her title of Princess of Wales, she was right :
Quote:
From Wikipedia
Princess of Wales is a courtesy title held by the wife of the Prince of Wales since the first "English" Prince of Wales in 1282. Due to the mortality rate and the fact that some Princes of Wales did not marry before ascending to the throne, there have in fact been only ten Princesses of Wales.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
And if she was talking of her title of Princess of Wales, she was right :
She was supposedly talking of the Spencer lineage.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Okay, but if they are talking about lineage, why are they talking about 'title' ? I wouldn't have used this word ...
Again it's a private discussion so there will always be a doubt.

Because it matters...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Nobility

Maybe they were talking about their titles in Britain. HRH Prince Philip had been Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, prior to his marriage to the Princess Elizabeth. He had to relinquish his foreign titles to become a British citizen, did he not?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN View Post
Maybe they were talking about their titles in Britain. HRH Prince Philip had been Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, prior to his marriage to the Princess Elizabeth. He had to relinquish his foreign titles to become a British citizen, did he not?
Until 1975 she was only the honourable Diana Spencer, it was after her grandfather died that she was called Lady. So her title was not older anyway!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

The long-nosed Diana, by Belgium

Belgium has issued a gold coin to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the death of Princess Diana - but something is amiss

The long-nosed Diana, by Belgium | the Daily Mail
Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post

Ouch!

End of quote.

Ouch indeed! What a stupid and uneducated thing to say:

You know, the more I'm seeing of excerpts of this book, the more I think that the character of Rita Skeeter must be based on Tina Brown. She seems to be giving verbatim quotes of private conversations with such confidence that I can only assume that she must really have been able to transform herself into a fly on the wall. Either that, or this is mighty shoddy journalism.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Excellent comparison Elspeth she does seem like Rita Skeeter writing for The Daily Prophet.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Excellent comparison
When I started reading your post, I thought you were talking about the new Diana Belgium coin!
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
When I started reading your post, I thought you were talking about the new Diana Belgium coin!
No, I wasn't but I just read the article her nose is quite large on the coin.
But its interesting that Belgium minted a coin of the Princess?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
No, I wasn't but I just read the article her nose is quite large on the coin.
But its interesting that Belgium minted a coin of the Princess?
I think it is a good likeness, it's probably based on some of Mario Testino's pictures. I don't think it is legal tender in Belgium, (perhaps someone from Belgium can tell us). In the UK we tend to stick with the Queen and national symbols.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Was Princess Diana Headed for Hollywood?
Planet Gossip - Was Princess Diana Headed for Hollywood?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

Blair's farewell was a Diana moment - a flood of phoney emotion

Blair's farewell was a Diana moment - a flood of phoney emotion | the Daily Mail
Old 06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Until 1975 she was only the honourable Diana Spencer, it was after her grandfather died that she was called Lady. So her title was not older anyway!
She wasn't even born when he became Britain's Prince Philip so the gist of what they meant escapes us both. It might be something only the aristocrats and nobles know. Or it might be something Tina Brown made up.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Gee I wonder how the Belgian royal family feels about this.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN View Post
She wasn't even born when he became Britain's Prince Philip so the gist of what they meant escapes us both. It might be something only the aristocrats and nobles know. Or it might be something Tina Brown made up.
Even if she meant lineage, she was wrong as Philips is older, the Spencers were only given the title of Earl in 1765.

But... we don't even know if this conversation took place!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But... we don't even know if this conversation took place!
True, it's the same thing for every conversation or fact published with no proof at all. It makes everyone think they know the royals after reading such a thing but unless living, seeing, talking with them every day, I hardly believe a commoner could pretend knowing them perfectly. Even with a close relationship you can't be sure to know them. It's the same thing in life, you live among people, friends, but how can you be sure to be aware of every side of their personnality ?
And that's why they are so popular, they keep the mystery alive.
There's a proverb which says :" Usually, the ones who know don't speak, the ones who speak don't know". Goes well to some writers

Because it matters...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Commoner

does anyone know if their will be special magazines this week of her birthday vs her death? i want to collect a few. i know newsweek has one out about her that is excellent. any thoughts?

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana