The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana never intended to become an icon and nor did she try to persuade little girls to be like her. If I had a daughter I would rather her try to be like Diana as the humanitarian than Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan who only party, sleep around and go to jail. You see these two women do nothing productive with their life Diana did.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Of course sirhon11234. She absolutely made something of her life with the humanitarian work (and I've the same thought as you conserning those 2 other 'celebrities' ). What I meant in my previous post is her private life not public. Fortunately for her she had her boys at least.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well yes Diana's private life was far from perfect but in public she conducted herself with dignity and class unlike a couple of celebrities.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Diana was 'devious, slow and disturbingly neurotic,' mocks Germaine Greer | News | This is London

Very good article for those who raed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
.....is the reason why Charles and Camilla should just concentrate on being happy together and never try or expect Camilla to fill Diana's shoes because it will always be impossible for her to do so.
!0 years further down the line, Diana will just be a distant memory for all but the hard core fans. Camilla is already replacing Diana in people's minds in the UK, IMO. Very few 'normal' people say 'do you remember when Diana' did this or that.

An icon is someone who is seen as someone who's behaviour is worth living up to. Diana had many advantages over most children from one parent families and they don't make a meal out of having all her 'problems'.

She is certainly not someone I would want any girl to aspire to be like!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

Can Diana's legacy end cluster bomb tragedies?

Can Diana's legacy end cluster bomb tragedies? | Voluntary sector | SocietyGuardian.co.uk
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
An icon is someone who is seen as someone who's behaviour is worth living up to.
Rather it seems when someone becomes an icon, that people stop thinking sensibly about them - about the fact that they are flesh and blood human beings who do some things well and other things not so well.

There are probably characteristics of every one in the Royal Family that I would want to emulate but I wouldn't want to emulate any one person totally.

Rather I think I would want to have:
  • Anne's common sense and pluckiness, and her tendency to not suffer fools gladly
  • Charles' intellectual curiosity
  • The Queen's steady nature and ability to remain kind and calm at the same time
  • Andrew's simple charm
  • Diana's ability to connect with individuals for an instance
  • Camilla's ability to concentrate on the people closest to her and maintain her attention on what she has control of rather than waste her time worrying over what she doesn't have control over
  • and lastly Margaret's pure joie de vivre during those times that she really felt joy
But I wouldn't want to emulate any one of them completely.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Royal Highness

Diana...blew the door wide open for what it means to be a "modern royal", for any and ALL of the royal families left in Europe..

I often wonder...would Juan Felipe have married Letizia, Haakon married Mette Marit, Willem marry Maxima, and Frederik marry Mary...had it not been in some way for Diana...

Maybe they thought a little "Well if she could do it so could we"
Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Rather it seems when someone becomes an icon, that people stop thinking sensibly about them - about the fact that they are flesh and blood human beings who do some things well and other things not so well.

There are probably characteristics of every one in the Royal Family that I would want to emulate but I wouldn't want to emulate any one person totally.

Rather I think I would want to have:
  • Anne's common sense and pluckiness, and her tendency to not suffer fools gladly
  • Charles' intellectual curiosity
  • The Queen's steady nature and ability to remain kind and calm at the same time
  • Andrew's simple charm
  • Diana's ability to connect with individuals for an instance
  • Camilla's ability to concentrate on the people closest to her and maintain her attention on what she has control of rather than waste her time worrying over what she doesn't have control over
  • and lastly Margaret's pure joie de vivre during those times that she really felt joy
But I wouldn't want to emulate any one of them completely.
WOW ! With all those qualities you have the perfect person . But with their bad sides you could make the worst

Because it matters...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Diana...blew the door wide open for what it means to be a "modern royal", for any and ALL of the royal families left in Europe..

I often wonder...would Juan Felipe have married Letizia, Haakon married Mette Marit, Willem marry Maxima, and Frederik marry Mary...had it not been in some way for Diana...

I think Diana probably showed that beneath the Royal Families there are human beings who feel emotions just like us. After Diana, they probably thought :"Maybe we could let love do the job". No senior royal would like to see his son or daughter get married to someone he/she didn't love. The shock of the fairy tale marriage of Charles & Diana falling apart made all the RFs really react and see what could happened.

Because it matters...
Old 08-02-2007, 03:29 AM
Courtier

IMHO it was Charles-Diana marriage disaster that changed the perceptions about royal marriages. Then other crown princes and royal families tried to avoid the same things and scandals happening to them. I don't want to dishonour Diana, but she should have kept slience about many things and things must would have turned out to be much more differently. Seeing the royals as humans can be good things but it can be dangerous things as well. I don't think I would have much feelings for William and Harry because I think them as normal young people.At the same time I don't feel much magic depsite their bloodlines.It is a terrible thing and I do doubt how long the monarchy can survive under such a society.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post

King Harald & Queen Sonja married in quite controversial (for those times) situation, and that was before anyone had ever heard about Diana. So I think yes, we would still have Letizia, Mette-Marit, Maxima and Mary, whether the world ever learn of Diana, or not.

I think Diana's contribution to the British Monarchy is a matter of different opinions. For me, Diana contributing to ruining the 'mystique' image Monarchy had, made it more Hollywood/soap opera like, which personally I don't welcome.

Many Royals before her managed to reach out to people, while not forgetting they were Royals, and least of all, not trying to destroy the institution they were part of themselves.

I don't minimize Diana's deeds, I liked her and I still do. But if I like a person, it doesn't mean I want to see only good in them, while keeping a blind eye on the less flattering things she did.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

film Of Diana's Last Days On Love Boat 'is A Travesty'

Daily Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: Film of Diana's last days on love boat 'is a travesty'
Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Special anniversary at Princess Diana's former home

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news?articleid=3079730
Old 08-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

Share your Princess Diana memories

Share your Princess Diana memories

What if Princess Diana had lived?

What if Princess Diana had lived? | the Daily Mail
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

That second article was interesting but also pointless.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness

A decade after Diana

Travel: A decade after Diana | diana, people, visitors, spencer, althorp - OCRegister.com
Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

New portrait of Diana

News Wales > Culture > New portrait of Diana
Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Diana was 'devious, slow and disturbingly neurotic,' mocks Germaine Greer | News | This is London

Very good article for those who raed it!

!0 years further down the line, Diana will just be a distant memory for all but the hard core fans. Camilla is already replacing Diana in people's minds in the UK, IMO. Very few 'normal' people say 'do you remember when Diana' did this or that.

An icon is someone who is seen as someone who's behaviour is worth living up to. Diana had many advantages over most children from one parent families and they don't make a meal out of having all her 'problems'.

She is certainly not someone I would want any girl to aspire to be like!
That's an extremely interesting article. I agreed with some points in it. Yes, Diana was not the sharpest tool in the drawer, and she could be a bit neurotic. But she didn't have an easy life, I wouldn't blame anyone in that situation if they went a bit batty.

I also disagree with some of your points. People are not forgetting Diana and replacing her with Camilla. It will be a VERY long time before anyone forgets who Diana was. Camilla has earned a name for herself, not so much in Diana's shadow. She is being recognized not as much for being Charles' lover, but his beloved wife and for being the good person that she is.

And no, I wouldn't want my daughter to be neurotic, bulimic, have retaliatory love affairs, and take on a new lover by the day after a divorce. But I would want her to be loving, compassionate, a good mother, and a great humanitarian, all of which Diana was.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Diana's Dresses Auctioned

- Starpulse News Blog_
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Diana's Dresses Auctioned

- Starpulse News Blog_

The scorned wives' club

Telegraph newspaper online

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana