The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02
This is an interesting article but its a bit harsh on Diana. A quote from the article has an interesting snippet of fact about where Diana put her money. I don't think Diana was wrong to do so but the author makes an interesting conclusion. I admit I would have been very disappointed if Diana had left money to anyone other than William and Harry though. They are her flesh and blood.

Quote:
Maybe, on the eve of the 10th anniversary of her death, it's time for a more realistic assessment of Diana. Above all, she was a typical upper-class English girl with not much talent except for self-promotion and self-preservation.
And that's the key. For however much Diana is portrayed as the maverick inside the royals who wanted to modernise the institution, one startling and little-known fact remains. In her will, Diana left her entire fortune to her two sons, Princes William and Harry. Charities got nothing. If that's not a decision in favour of the status quo, then what is?

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Someone always has to be negative. Diana's legacy his her children and her charity work.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
This is an interesting article but its a bit harsh on Diana. A quote from the article has an interesting snippet of fact about where Diana put her money. I don't think Diana was wrong to do so but the author makes an interesting conclusion. I admit I would have been very disappointed if Diana had left money to anyone other than William and Harry though. They are her flesh and blood.
Why would you have been disappointed? Her estate was so large that I think it would have been reasonable to leave some charitable bequests. Her sons are never going to be short of a quid.

How many favourite charities did Diana end up with? I can't remember, but say it was six. If she had left 500,000 pounds to each of the six, a total of 3 million, it would hardly have made a noticeable dent in what her sons will inherit from her yet it would have made an enormous difference to each of those charities.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
How many favourite charities did Diana end up with? I can't remember, but say it was six. If she had left 500,000 pounds to each of the six, a total of 3 million, it would hardly have made a noticeable dent in what her sons will inherit from her yet it would have made an enormous difference to each of those charities.
I agree with all you have said. Some people say she 'left her name', but how many of them give even a penny to the charities she was associated with and how many give purely because she was associated with those charities?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

Diana ‘very proud’ of Harry’s Iraq tenure

Diana ‘very proud’ of Harry’s Iraq tenure
Old 05-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
Why would you have been disappointed? Her estate was so large that I think it would have been reasonable to leave some charitable bequests. Her sons are never going to be short of a quid.

You're right Roslyn. I wouldn't have begrudged Diana leaving some of her money to charity. I would have only been disappointed if she had left one or both of her sons out of her will to donate to charity which has happened in some multimillion dollar estates.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Postcards featuring Britain's late Princess Diana have been banned from royal palace shops.
Postcards featuring Britain's late Princess Diana have been banned from royal palace shops.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lindsay Lohan as Princess Diana: Director Laughs it Off

National Ledger - Lindsay Lohan as Princess Diana: Director Laughs it Off

I can't wait to see his movie on Diana's life.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
Lindsay Lohan as Princess Diana: Director Laughs it Off

National Ledger - Lindsay Lohan as Princess Diana: Director Laughs it Off

I can't wait to see his movie on Diana's life.

For some reason, I just can't visualize Lohan as the princess. I wonder who he is considering?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lohan will never get the part of the Princess.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Lohan will never get the part of the Princess.
Sirhon, it didn't mention who he might be considering in the article, but have read otherwise if this film would be getting done and who he might be considering?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Serene Highness

Diana award for mentors

Diana Award For Mentors (from This Is Cheshire)
Old 05-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Let's get the "banned postcards" nonsense in perspective. The article continues:

"A spokeswoman for the Royal Collection, which runs the souvenir shops at the royal residences, said: 'We do stock some Diana memorabilia, particularly books. It's just the postcards that we don't sell. We have this rule that we only stock postcards of current members of the British Royal Family.' "
Old 05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It's an interesting "rule," since technically she wasn't a member of the Royal Family since 1996, and postcards have been sold until recently. (Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a big anti-Diana plot, more probably some personnel got together and thought about updating the goods sold at the shops.)
Old 05-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Nobility

Has anyone actually seen a postcard of Diana for sale in a royal gift shop recently? Without evidence to the contrary, the spokeswoman for the Royal Collections may very well be telling the truth, and they've been following this rule for years. For all we know, the press is only now deciding to make a brouhaha about it to fill some column space and stir things up.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Yes that's right sassie. The press always make a fuss with all subjects touching to Diana. Although after 10 years, Diana is still the one who sells the most memorabilia in royal gift shops.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
It's an interesting "rule," since technically she wasn't a member of the Royal Family since 1996, and postcards have been sold until recently. (Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a big anti-Diana plot, more probably some personnel got together and thought about updating the goods sold at the shops.)
The Princess of Wales was still regarded as a member of the British Royal family after her divorce from Charles.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Let's get the "banned postcards" nonsense in perspective. The article continues:

"A spokeswoman for the Royal Collection, which runs the souvenir shops at the royal residences, said: 'We do stock some Diana memorabilia, particularly books. It's just the postcards that we don't sell. We have this rule that we only stock postcards of current members of the British Royal Family.' "

That's one example how some can slant the news. Journalists and people alike will take something and speak about it out of context and change the whole meaning of it. For those of us who have worked in newsrooms (both print & television), we can appreciate it more and can discern whether rumours and reporting are actual accurate or if it is to sway a viewer or reader.

Whether Diana was a member of the Royal Family or not at the time of her death, she did play a major role in providing a royal heir and thus should have some printed material about her as what is being done.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The Princess of Wales was still regarded as a member of the British Royal family after her divorce from Charles.
is this true? i'd always heard that she wasn't. i'd only heard her referred to as the mother of the future king.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes it is true, its says so right on her official page.
Diana, Princess of Wales > Biography > Marriage and family

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana