The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:57 PM

No no, I didn't mean it that way. Personally, I don't see the need to mark the anniversary in this way but if it has to be marked, I really don't see how this concert could be seen as a good thing. It'll cost a fortune to put on whereas all they actually need do is invite representatives of charities and hand out large cheques which I'm sure the charities would prefer to a concert that we all know will be taken over by obssessives and could come across as tacky and insulting.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
I don't think william and Harry are trying to make money off of their mother. They're just marking the anneiversary in a unique way.
Then there will be no charge for tickets and they will all be giving a personal donation to charity, I don't think so!

If people want to mark the anniversary, remove the drainage ditch!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
remove the drainage ditch!
They should remove the fountain since it has caused the tax payers millions of dollars for repair. And should be replaced with a more suitable memorial for the princess.

( Beatrixfan is that the duchess of windsor in your avatar)
Old 11-27-2006, 06:16 PM

(It is indeed).

I do wonder how many memorials are needed exactly. We already have the walk and numerous plaques. Poor old Queen Mary only has one plaque and not even a statue.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Personally, I don't think they should celebrate her 46th birthday but rather her 50th...that would be nice touch. And if they could have corporate sponsors underwrite the costs of the concert...why shouldn't they? But it wouldn't be a bad idea to just make monetary donations to charities that have/had relationships with Diana and her sons.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM

I was under the impression that the Princes wanted to acknowledge the 10th anniversary of Diana's death, not her 46th birthday. If they want to honor a birthday however, I agree that the 50th would be more appropriate.

I would be sadly disappointed if this concert goes through and the Princes don't attend for whatever reason. Not sure why this popped into my head, but it did.

Best Regards!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'am sure wills and harry will attend since they're hosting the event.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Royal Highness

i was really surprised to hear about this too. it seems really odd although Diana did love music so it might be appropriate in that sense. anyway these guys can't seem to win...for years now people have been moaning that they haven't marked her death in a public way and now that they want to people are being rather critical of their choice. maybe the concert wasn't their idea??
Old 11-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why am I cynical about this event, well, we only had the one paper reporting this 'event' and now it is on every news channel.

There has been no official announcement and I firmly believe that this is media driven and the princes would be damned if they don't now go ahead with something. A public declaration, to prove they loved their mother!

I have always been of the opinion, that they shouldn't have to boohoo in the street to prove anything. They probably don't need anniversary gatherings or concerts to remember her or prove that they loved her!

They more than anyone, know they miss her and grieve for her.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Personally, I don't think they should celebrate her 46th birthday but rather her 50th...that would be nice touch. And if they could have corporate sponsors underwrite the costs of the concert...why shouldn't they? But it wouldn't be a bad idea to just make monetary donations to charities that have/had relationships with Diana and her sons.
I think the event don't is for the diana 46 birthday, is for the 1 anniversary of her daeth, I think I not sure.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 11-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

Did anyone buy Point de Vue this week??? Diana is on the cover. Maybe you can tell us what´s that of her "last love".
Old 11-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
Diana, Honored by TIME as one of the great Heroes

http://www.time.com/time/europe/hero2006/diana.html
Thanks for the article.

That was a great writeup. & It speaks the truth really. Just to remember the days before diana showed up. There was no emblishment there. It was in a sad state of affairs.

Nice to see something written nice about her
& not something from a Tell all book full of halftruths & out right lies( to make the author look good).
Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

"into a miserable land", he obviously didn't know anyone who lived here at that time!

In fact, it was a liberating celebration of a life that spoke for what Britons now wanted to be; not defined by cups of tea and stiff upper lips; not deferential; not condemned to live in a nation of perpetual, autumnal decline; not quiet; not old-fashioned; not dull; not sexless.

But somehow or other, Britons know, and are grateful.

This article is so funny, it was obviously not written by a Brit! Take a look at some of his other 'articles', how about.

How to deconstruct the strange case of Janet Jackson's breast
Why is fandom so important
Old 11-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Princess Diana
Expected to keep quiet and fit in, she instead learned to speak out and became more potent a symbol than the royal house she joined
Thats exactly true.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
Thats exactly true.
You forgot the 'In your opinion', many people in the UK didn't and don't think so.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
In fact, it was a liberating celebration of a life that spoke for what Britons now wanted to be; not defined by cups of tea and stiff upper lips; not deferential; not condemned to live in a nation of perpetual, autumnal decline; not quiet; not old-fashioned; not dull; not sexless.
Is that meant to insinuate that, without Diana, the British people would never have evolved culturally since 1981?

Not to criticize the Princess, but that's hardly a realistic statement. Evolution is inevitable. This is akin to saying that without Jacqueline Kennedy, American culture would have remained in the 1950's.

JMO.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
Is that meant to insinuate that, without Diana, the British people would never have evolved culturally since 1981?

Not to criticize the Princess, but that's hardly a realistic statement. Evolution is inevitable. This is akin to saying that without Jacqueline Kennedy, American culture would have remained in the 1950's.

JMO.
Now we all know that some believe that the BRF did not exist before Diana
Quote:
not defined by stiff upper lips; not deferential;
This is still the way a lot of Brits would prefer to be defined! IMO.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
"into a miserable land", he obviously didn't know anyone who lived here at that time!

But somehow or other, Britons know, and are grateful.
I doubt Britons wanted to become mentally slightly unstable ("not dull") cheaters on their husbands ("not sexless") who prefered joining their boyfriends on yachts in the Mediterranean (far, far away from "autumnal decline") and blabbing to the media ("not quiet") to doing their duties. If that is old-fashioned, I'd personally prefer to be old-fashioned, enjoy my cup of tea in front of the fire-place and keep my contenance even if confronted with the real world....
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:40 AM
Serene Highness

I admire Diana for the courage she had to rebel against the situation she lived from the very moment she married.What else could she do? keep quiet as her husband and his mistres wanted, but she was not that kind of woman. I liked the article very much,good portrait of the Princess and the society she lived.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana
I liked the article very much,good portrait of the Princess and the society she lived.
As has been proved time and again rosana, there was no 'situation from the moment she married'!

The article does not in anyway portray the society or time in which she lived, how could it. It was written by an American, who was not part of either!

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana