The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 04:20 PM

Diana inquest set for January
Last Updated Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:17:16
LONDON - An inquest into the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, is to be held in January, a British coroner announced Thursday.

Feyed's wrecked car

Michael Burgess, coroner of the Queen's Household, said the inquest into Diana's death will begin on Jan. 6. A separate inquest into the death of Dodi Fayed, who died with her in a 1997 Paris car crash, will also be held that month.

Under British law an inquest must be held when a citizen dies abroad and the body is returned home.

British officials had said an inquest would be held in that country once legal proceedings in France were completed.

On Nov. 28, three photographers who took pictures of the couple at the scene of their deadly crash were acquitted of invading the couple's privacy.

Mohammed Fayed

Mohammed Fayed, Dodi's father, filed a criminal complaint against the photographers for invasion of privacy, but a Paris court decided Friday that a crashed vehicle on a public highway is not a private area.

The photos taken by the three photographers were confiscated and never published.

Diana and Fayed died on Aug. 31, 1997, when the car being driven by their inebriated chauffeur, Henri Paul, smashed into a concrete pillar in a traffic tunnel, then spun around and hit the tunnel wall.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Old 12-19-2003, 10:00 AM
Nobility

Barnes and Noble bookstore has a great new photo book about Diana. It is $9.98 and has 500 pictures from the Daily Mail. THe author is Alison Gauntlett, and it is entitled "Diana, Unseen Archives." There are definitely quite a few great pictures that have never been published before. It looks like it is available only at the store, not on the website.

Old 12-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
BBC

"Appeal in Diana photographer case

The public prosecutor in Paris has appealed against the acquittal of three photographers who took photos of Princess Diana on the night she died.

The appeal should come to court in the coming weeks, said a lawyer for Mohamed Al Fayed, whose son Dodi also died.

The photographers were acquitted in November of invading the couple's privacy by snapping them in their car.

The appeal could coincide with a British inquest into the death of Diana which will open on 6 January.

It was not clear why the prosecutor's office decided to appeal.

Mr Al Fayed's lawyer Fabrice Dubest told Reuters news agency: "The Paris prosecutor first waited to see whether Mohamed Al Fayed would appeal or not.

"He lodged an appeal at the end of November. The prosecutor decided at the beginning of December to follow."

The photographers - Jacques Langevin of the Sygma Corbis agency, Christian Martinez of the Angelis agency and freelancer Eric Chassery - were among eight paparazzi who followed the couple as they left the Paris Ritz on 31 August 1997.

The Paris court acquitted the men on the grounds that it did not consider the inside of a car to be a private space.

Inquiry plea

An earlier French investigation into charging all eight paparazzi for endangering the couple by chasing their car and failing to assist after an accident came to nothing.

Mohamed Al Fayed, the Egyptian-born owner of London's Harrods department store, launched a civil case instead, leading to the charge against three of the photographers.

He has repeatedly called for a British inquiry into the incident, alleging that British security services were involved in the deaths of the princess and his son.

After failures so far in French and English courts, the businessman has been trying to persuade Scottish courts to hold an inquiry, based on the fact that he has a Scottish home in Easter Ross.

A judge in Edinburgh heard the final submissions in the legal bid this week and will announce his decision next year."
Old 12-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Courtier

According to some newspapers in Great Britain Diana was pregnant at the time of her death:

Diana was pregnant at time of her death, says top policeman
By John Lichfield in Paris
21 December 2003

A senior police source in France has told The Independent on Sunday that Diana, Princess of Wales, was pregnant at the time of her death following a road accident in Paris six years ago.

The source - who saw all the documents relating to the case surrounding the Princess's death - dismisses suggestions that there was any murder conspiracy before the death of Diana, her friend Dodi al-Fayed and their driver in a car crash on 31 August 1997.

He was speaking after a British coroner announced that he would hold inquests into the cause of the deaths of Diana and Dodi, beginning on 6 January.

However, the source revealed to The Independent on Sunday that there was "a cover-up of sorts" in the days following the crash. Medical reports, which have never been made public, showed that Diana was pregnant at the time of her death. "I can tell you that she was pregnant," the source said.

Friends of Diana and her butler, Paul Burrell, have strenuously denied in the past suggestions that the Princess was expecting a third child at the time of her death.

The source implied that Diana's pregnancy was hushed up to spare the embarrassment of her family. Since it was not regarded as relevant to the causes of the accident, or her death, it was not mentioned at the end of the two-year judicial investigation into the crash by a French judge, Herv Stephan.

Medical reports from the hospital where Diana died may, however, be included among the 6,000 pages of documents from the French investigation which will be delivered to the British coroner, Michael Burgess, next month.

Reports that Diana was pregnant - first alleged by Mohammed al-Fayed soon after her death - have been seized on by the wilder conspiracy theorists as a possible motive for an assassination plot by the Royal Family and British government.

The same police source in France rejected all these theories and said the investigation file points clearly to an accident, caused in part by the fact that chauffeur Henri Paul had been drinking heavily.

There has also been speculation about the time it has taken to call a British inquest, now routine when a British citizen dies abroad. The coroner has said that he could not open the hearings until he received the French file once legal proceedings were completed in France.

These proceedings have been prolonged mostly by Mr Fayed, who appealed against the original decision by French authorities to bring no action against the photographers who pursued Diana and Dodi's car. When that appeal was lost, Mr Fayed brought another action against three photographers for invading his son's privacy. The case was thrown out by a French court last month.

The royal coroner, Mr Burgess, announced on Thursday that he would begin separate inquests into Diana and Dodi's deaths next month, but indicated that the full hearings will be delayed until the whole French file has been translated and studied.

Mr Burgess said last week: "At neither hearing will I be receiving evidence from witnesses in person. I will, however, make a statement which will cover the purpose of the inquests, how they may be expected to be conducted and the nature and scope of the evidence I expect to receive."
Old 01-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Majesty

I liked Susannah's comments. I really don't see the big deal with her fashion-wise.

"The duo, both pregnant, might find Susannah's latest comments do not help their careers in the US. Three years ago fashion experts voted Diana the best dressed person of all time."

Good grief. Instead of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis or Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with you Dennism, Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly have a better fashion sense in my opinion also
Old 01-06-2004, 06:01 AM
Nobility

From The Mirror..

DIANA'S LETTER: IT WAS CHARLES

Jan 6 2004

EXCLUSIVE

By Jane Kerr, Royal Reporter

PRINCE Charles is the person Princess Diana claimed in a letter wanted to kill her, the Mirror sensationally reveals today.

Before she died in a car crash, Diana wrote: "My husband is planning 'an accident' in my car, brake failure and serious head injury...to make the path clear for him to marry."

She gave the note to butler Paul Burrell who revealed its existence in the Mirror last year. Charles's name was blanked out. Burrell has been asked to hand the document to the coroner who today opens the inquest into Diana's death.

Burrell said: "It has fulfilled its purpose. I wanted to give force to the argument that an inquest must be held."
Old 01-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Courtier

I hadn't expected prince Charles to do this, more prince Philip. But anyway, he is a real bastard if this is true (and I think it is true)
Old 01-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by royal_sophietje@Jan 6th, 2004 - 8:40 am
I hadn't expected prince Charles to do this, more prince Philip. But anyway, he is a real bastard if this is true (and I think it is true)
Oh, boy! If this is true, I'll be very disappointed. Yes, Charles was in part "cruel" to Diana but she, in turn, returned his vollies out of sheer frustration. However, this massive lie regarding their fairytale wedding was also a shock to me. Maybe Charles could/would have been the initial igniter of such a heinous deed as to devise a car accident which would incapacitate Diana , but I'm sure he expected one of his 'ole chronies to do the "dirty work". I do remember reading that he said, after she had been buried, that he "was relieved". Relieved from what?

Last night, for the first time, I saw on Fox News that this "new" investigation was really just now beginning. Could anyone tell me exactly "who" spurred this "new" investigation to take place? Mohammed Al Fayed ?, the French government ?, the British people? I imagine her body will have to exhumed. Could it have anything to do with this "white fiat" by any chance? By now, I bet that Fiat does not even exist or at least someone painted it a different color.

Elizajane
Old 01-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Majesty

"Could anyone tell me exactly "who" spurred this "new" investigation to take place? Mohammed Al Fayed ?, the French government ?,"

"Surrey coroner Michael Burgess has opened and adjourned for a year the inquests into the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales, and Dodi Al Fayed pending the results of a police inquiry into the crash that killed them.

BBC News Online looks at the issues surrounding the inquests.

Q: What are the questions to be answered about the circumstances of the deaths?

A: Inquests in England and Wales are limited fact-finding affairs.

They focus on who the deceased were; when and where the death occurred; and how the cause of death arose.

Expressions of opinion as to who might be to blame are not allowed.

But Mr Burgess has asked Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir John Stevens to lead an inquiry into the crash, to examine whether any findings may have a bearing on the inquest.

The move came as the Daily Mirror reported Princess Diana had written a letter before her death claiming Prince Charles was behind a plot to kill her.

Q: Will the coroner take the letter by Princess Diana into account?

A: BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said: "The coroner has said he wants to see any material that could be significant to the inquiry, and that letter could be such a document.

"But the fact that evidently Prince Charles is named... I think most people would find to be incredible and it would reduce the credibility of that letter."

Q: Is the inquest likely to end speculation over Princess Diana and Dodi's death?

A: Nicholas Witchell said: "This coroner.. is very aware that this inquest needs to be comprehensive and definitive.

"He is facing head on the speculation and conspiracy theories, and he has turned to the Metropolitan Police to investigate if there are any grounds for these suggestions."

Q: Is an inquest likely to satisfy all Mohamed Al Fayed's concerns?

A:Mr Al Fayed, Dodi's father, has said of the inquest: "This is what we have been waiting for six years... At last, I hope we can see the light."

But he has called for a public inquiry into the Paris crash, saying the remit of the coroner's inquest is far too narrow.

Q: Will the inquest re-open old wounds for the Royal Family?

A: The Daily Mirror's story and the intense speculation surrounding the death of Diana and Dodi will put Prince Charles under pressure.

It is also likely to prove very distressing for Princes William and Harry.

Q: Why has it taken six years to open inquests?

A: Before the coroner began, he had to take into account the findings of the investigations and proceedings in France. These have been going on for years.

Only last month a court in Paris cleared three press photographers of breaching strict privacy rules on the night Diana and Dodi died.

About 6,000 pages of documents have been sent from France to the coroner"
Old 01-07-2004, 12:39 AM
Nobility

Former royal butler Paul Burrell carries a delivery outside his flower shop in Holt, England, Tuesday Jan. 6, 2004. The British tabloid newspaper the Daily Mirror said the Prince of Wales was the person named in a letter that Diana purportedly wrote to Paul Burrell the year before she died . In it, she expressed fear that someone would tamper with the brakes of her car. (AP Photo/PA, Phil Noble)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bur1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	34349  
Old 01-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Hello

Fergie 'Horrified' by Diana Crash Allegations

7 JANUARY 2004
Days after a British newspaper revealed that Princess Diana believed her ex-husband the Prince of Wales was plotting "an accident" to kill her, the Duchess of York, has spoken out on the stunning news.

Prince Andrew's flame-haired former wife Sarah made the comments on a US talk show after the Daily Mirror exposed the full text of a letter the princess had written outlining her fears. "I am absolutely horrified," said the Duchess. "I'm lost for words."

The controversial correspondence, written ten months before Diana's death, was made public last year by the Princess' former butler Paul Burrell as he released a tell-all book, A Royal Duty. However, at that time, the name of the person the Princess believed was behind the plot had been blacked out.

"I am not happy about it," said the former servant of the latest revelation, adding later: "It was always my intention never to publish that name. I never ever wanted it to be published."

Meanwhile, Charles's former press secretary Colleen Harris said the allegation was "preposterous". "Anyone that works for the Prince or knows him will think this is complete and utter rubbish," she told a BBC programme. "It is unbelievable."
Old 01-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

1.IBL - Mirror front page with Diana letter

2.IBL - Mirror front page with Diana letter

3.IBL - London, Britain, 6 January 2004 - Princess Diana's sister, Lady Sarah McCorquodale at the inquiry into the death of Princess Diana headed by coroner Michael Burgess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mirror_again.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	34520   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror_cover.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	34521   Click image for larger version

Name:	sarah_sister.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	34522  
Old 01-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

This is so bizarre-can't they leave it alone? Or will it continue on forever, like the JFK conspiracies?
Old 01-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

On Larry King presently, the inquest and the revelation that Diana suspected Prince Charles was going to tamper with her car breaks is being discussed.

Kitty Kelly and Robert Lacey is on the panel, among several other Brits whose names I have not caught yet as I am catching the program halfway through.

But an interesting comment by one of the panel members, who debunked the conspiracy theory by saying that the particular night on which Diana died could not have been planned as Diana and Dodi's plans changed so much. For example, the couple were supposed to fly home straight to London after dinner but following dinner the couple decided (or were headed to) Dodi's apartment instead - something this panelist says nobody could've forseen.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:58 AM
Nobility

Lady Sarah McCorquodale, sister of Princess Diana, leaves the opening of the first coroner's inquest in Britain into the death of Princess Diana.(AFP/Nicolas Asfouri)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sarah.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	34583  
Old 01-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Nobility

I don't think Prince Charles had Diana killed, but her letter does make me feel uneasy because she was obviously afraid of him..
Old 01-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Gentry

I really don't think Charles would plan to kill the mother of his children, a woman the whole world loves...but then again, we never know for sure.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Royal Highness

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- More than six years after her death, audio and videotapes Princess Diana secretly recorded during her ill-fated marriage to Prince Charles will get their first public airing next month on NBC, the network said on Thursday.

NBC said it would present excerpts of the audio tapes, the principal source for Andrew Morton's 1992 international bestseller "Diana: Her True Story," and separate video footage taken of her during the same period, in a special two-part broadcast set for March 4 and March 11.

The two-hour documentary, titled "Princess Diana: The Secret Tapes," also will feature interviews with some of Diana's closest friends and confidants, NBC said.

An NBC spokeswoman said the video comes from an hour of footage shot by a "professional associate" of Diana's with her permission between September 1992 and December of 1993, a period when details of her troubled marriage had already come to light in Morton's book.

NBC said the footage shows a "relaxed, candid Diana at times laughing and interacting with her young sons, illustrating the lighter side of a woman who maintained a very reserved public persona."

The audiotapes, by contrast, offer an exclusive account, in Diana's own voice, of her life before becoming a princess, her long struggle with bulimia, her suicide attempts, the heartache over her husband's infidelity and her strained relations with other members of the Royal family.

Those recordings, about seven hours of taped responses to Morton's written questions, were secretly made in Kensington Palace in 1991 during a series of interviews conducted through an intermediary.

They formed the basis of Morton's 1992 book, which demolished the myth of Diana's fairy-tale marriage to Charles and triggered a chain of events that led to their divorce in July of 1996.

But it was only after Diana's death in a Paris car crash in 1997 that Morton revealed she had collaborated with him on the biography. A revised version of the book, "Diana: Her True Story in Her Own Words," was released weeks after the fatal crash containing edited transcripts of the recordings.

But NBC said those tapes, like the video footage the network has acquired, have never been heard by the public. The General Electric Co.-owned network did not disclose exactly how it acquired rights to the material.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Nobility

I'm interested to hear what people thought of the NBC show "Diana: The Secret Tapes" which aired a few weeks ago (when LTR was down). This featured the audiotapes used by Andrew Morton for his book.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana