The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Commoner

At first I did think it strange that Diana's letters will be sold -- perhaps it does have something to do with the economic downturn.

But then it got me thinking -- wouldn't it be a waste to have something just sitting in a corner of your house gathering dust when it might really be valuable to someone else? I know of several people who sold things they received as inheritance after keeping it in their house for a while because these items were just sitting there collecting dust.

And it's not like she sold these letter immediately after Diana died -- she kept them as long as she could until it dawned on her that she won't have any "use" for them.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that I'd be more offended as well had she sold them within a few years of Diana's death; but it's been over 10 years now. She could probably make a lot more money writing a tell-all book about living with the Spencers, but she hasn't done that.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Royal Highness

Seems like whoever hasn't cleaned out their closets/attics feel it's safe to sale the last of their Diana-related items, first moldy cake, then the nanny-grams, now an engagement blouse that's really not by the author's own admission:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ficulties.html
The dressmaker who designed Diana, Princess of Wales's wedding gown is to auction the Princess's "engagement blouse" after falling into financial difficulties.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Mary follows Diana in mine sweep - World - smh.com.au
Old 10-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Gentry

Oh Thats so good, i think that Diana Show everyone how should be a princess in this years, good for mary
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angl3 View Post
why they were glad if Sarah didn`t marry Charles??
Hi Angi, Diana didn't say in the letter why they were glad Sarah didn't marry Charles. I thought it was interesting though how the Spencer children were trying to marry her off though. I wonder if she appreciated it.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sarah Palin related to Princess Diana and Franklin D Roosevelt - Telegraph
Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I am so sick of hearing people say they predicted the princess' death but anyways...

http://diana-remembered.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2244878A8C9B75DA!3675.entry
Old 10-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I am so sick of hearing people say they predicted the princess' death but anyways...

http://diana-remembered.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2244878A8C9B75DA!3675.entry
But she must have thought hard about which reason to give why she wasn't heard at the inquest when she was such an important advisor to Diana.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Hi Angi, Diana didn't say in the letter why they were glad Sarah didn't marry Charles. I thought it was interesting though how the Spencer children were trying to marry her off though. I wonder if she appreciated it.
It is really interesting to see along which lines Diana's thoughts went back then: not about a career for her sister, about a certain way to live but about whom to marry: the higher ranked the better. No matter if Sarah loved him or not. It seems Diana followed suit with her own decision about whom to marry.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
It is really interesting to see along which lines Diana's thoughts went back then: not about a career for her sister, about a certain way to live but about whom to marry: the higher ranked the better. No matter if Sarah loved him or not. It seems Diana followed suit with her own decision about whom to marry.
But that was still the norm back then, wasn't it Jo? Nowadays, a scant 30 years later, you don't really see that as much, though I will tell you that they are in droves around the Army bases my son is at, little 18 year olds hoping for a Richard Gere Officer and a Gentleman scenario. . . .
Old 10-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is most definetly still going around, I hear women who are my friends and in my family say "I want to marry a doctor, lawyer, business exec" but what about a sanitation worker they make pretty good money.

In a way I guess we all want to marry well.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Officer and a Gentleman . . . .
Classic oxymoron?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Classic oxymoron?
There are some exceptions. Mr S and the little Skydragons for instance, most are complete *********'s Nice but dim is the usual description, thank goodness the forces are normally led by the NCO's.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Administrator

I take it Mr S and the little skydragons are oblivious to what you've been saying about them on TRF.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
There are some exceptions. Mr S and the little Skydragons for instance, most are complete *********'s
That is a masterly (or is that mistressly) understatement, Mr S et al excepting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Nice but dim is the usual description, thank goodness the forces are normally led by the NCO's.
Amen sister! You don't have to be thick to be an officer . . . but it helps!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I take it Mr S and the little skydragons are oblivious to what you've been saying about them on TRF.
I tell them on a regular basis that they are complete idiots!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I tell them on a regular basis that they are complete idiots!
Do they reply with a smart "Yes, Madam, Yes!"?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Do they reply with a smart "Yes, Madam, Yes!"?
Children yes, Husband, Mmmm tends to be 'Indeed madam, you did however marry me'
Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Children yes, Husband, Mmmm tends to be 'Indeed madam, you did however marry me'
Mr. Skydragon has a point here, definately. Though being a true gentleman he should not flaunt it in your presence.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana