The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Royal Highness

But just like you said mermaid. How could the writer of the article make a comparison between the two women? Diana, Princess of Wales sells and right now, Sarah Palin is all the news talks about in the states. I only see a love of children, to help her fellow man and the news on their every move, a comparison between the two.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe that it is totally wrong to compare the late Princess Diana and Mrs. Palin because of a huge gap in upbringing, mentality, social status, marriage situations, etc. Similar to millions of other women, these ladies have some things in common such as being good mothers and doing some chairty works. On the other hand, Mrs. Palin has been nominated to be VP of the USA. This may or may not happen. If Mrs. Palin does become the VP, her effectivness as a high ranking offical remains to be seen.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree Al_Bina. I think it's just to sell newspapers. Sarah is the "it" girl right now, whereas Diana will always be the "it" girl. . .
Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I agree Al_Bina. I think it's just to sell newspapers. Sarah is the "it" girl right now
Yes, unfortunatlely, but the article seemed so ridiculous imo.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Sirhon, they ALL are. For goodness sake somebody put Sarah Palin's baby up on E-bay as a "prop". But that's the nature of the beast. Diana got the same stuff, good and bad. When you're in the public eye, ya can't please all of the people all of the time, well, unless you die. . . .
Old 09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

And even then, the goodwill generated doesn't always last very long.

Quote:
When you're in the public eye, ya can't please all of the people all of the time, well, unless you die. . . .
Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Nobility

As much as I love a good conspiracy theory, I would have to seriously decline any opportunity to see the "death car". No interest in seeing such a thing whatsoever.

JFK's car is merely what he was in when he was shot, not what caused his demise unlike the M-B.

Yes, I have heard some of the comparisons of Sarah to Diana. Those were good for a laugh or two! Can't ever imgaine Prince Charles as "The Prince Dude".
Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
I agree Al_Bina. I think it's just to sell newspapers. Sarah is the "it" girl right now, whereas Diana will always be the "it" girl. . .
I don't think there's any reasonable comparison at all. Palin is merely a symptom of the media's and politicians' desires to divert the interest of American voters from the real issues. IMO.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

A Paris appeals court on Thursday convicted British celebrity photographer Jason Fraser of invading the privacy of the late Princess Diana by snapping her on a yacht kissing her boyfriend Dodi Fayed.

Paris court fines British photgrapher for Diana photos - Yahoo! News UK
Old 09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I don't think there's any reasonable comparison at all. Palin is merely a symptom of the media's and politicians' desires to divert the interest of American voters from the real issues. IMO.
No, I don't think so, I think what they are doing is to try and ELEVATE Sarah Palin to draw comparison. Which was dumb on their part. . .
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
A Paris appeals court on Thursday convicted British celebrity photographer Jason Fraser of invading the privacy of the late Princess Diana by snapping her on a yacht kissing her boyfriend Dodi Fayed.
Paris court fines British photgrapher for Diana photos - Yahoo! News UK
Well, if that's the only way Mohamed Al Fayed can get a "guilty" verdict... The conventional wisdom was either the Fayeds or Diana, or both, was cooperating with the press giving out their locations and making themselves available to the photographer.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana speaks about, dancing, her love life, her pregnancy and trips with Charles in these new letters

'Watching me dance is like watching an elephant': Revealing letters written by Princess Diana to former nanny to be auctioned | Mail Online
Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder why Mary Clarke needed to sell these letters.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I'm wondering why she had to sell these letters too. Moreover, the money won't be given to any charities (it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the article, I think). A little selfish to keep it all to yourself since it could have been just paper and ink if Diana hadn't been Diana.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm wondering whether perhaps her arab stallion business isn't doing too well given the economic downturn.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

In light of the current situation in the economical environment, it is not suprising that Ms. Clarke has made a decision to capitalize on her former employer. However, her claims of feeling sad because she sells the letters come across as insincere.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I wondered much more about the riding remark. According to the article Diana wrote: "A vast amount of people are trying to get me on a horse and it looks as though I might as this is the only time I'd actually be able to be with the husband."

Why does she write: "the husband"? Strange wording anyway but this? Why saying that only if she learns to ride she can be with Charles? What kind of view of her life she is giving here?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I took it as saying that he's so busy with other things that getting on a horse might be one of the few times she'd see him. As Prince of Wales, he would have been a really busy man, and she couldn't always go with him because of the children and pregnancies. I wouldn't necessarily read anything else into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Why does she write: "the husband"? Strange wording anyway but this? Why saying that only if she learns to ride she can be with Charles? What kind of view of her life she is giving here?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Royal Highness

I bought Ms. Clarke's book a few years ago but don't have it anymore. Does anybody have a copy? Were the letters included in it?

I remember it as being a cheerful little book but not very profound. According to Ms. Clarke, Diana seemed torn between her parents, particularly when she was being shuffled between households, but she wasn't as distressed as Diana later described herself as being. And it occurred to me that Earl Spencer wasn't very concerned about the qualifications of his help, mostly he seemed desperate to find minders for his younger children.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I've glanced through it but not read it thoroughly cover-to-cover. It struck me as a harmless book about a young aristocratic girl written by a former nanny who was fond of her.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana