The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2016, 05:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Something about the story doesn't feel 'real' to me, though it may certainly be so, of course. Do people really eat supper 'on trays' in front of the television? It's the last place my husband and I want to be with our children when we sit down to eat. It always puzzles me why this is the claim, even for the Queen.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Something about the story doesn't feel 'real' to me, though it may certainly be so, of course. Do people really eat supper 'on trays' in front of the television?
Without going into too much detail, I do (plate on tray, tray on lap) so I assume there are more people who do this

Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Without going into too much detail, I do (plate on tray, tray on lap) so I assume there are more people who do this
I certainly do something like that when I am on my own. But with children and the family meal, I would never think to do it. Even when my husband and I are 'solo' for an evening (children off with the grandparents or whoever), for our meal we sit at the table. The most we will do is dessert as we watch a film or news, but that's rare as it's hard to be eating and entwined at the same time.

BTW I just saw something about Ronald and Nancy Reagan and the same thing was stated, that they would sit at the television with supper on trays.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:13 AM
Serene Highness

lots of people eat off trays or tables in front of the TV... no big deal
Old 05-29-2016, 04:56 PM
Majesty

My husband and I eat on the sofa with plates in our laps watching videos on YouTube or movies. Of course, if we have company, we eat at a properly set table.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Something about the story doesn't feel 'real' to me, though it may certainly be so, of course. Do people really eat supper 'on trays' in front of the television? It's the last place my husband and I want to be with our children when we sit down to eat. It always puzzles me why this is the claim, even for the Queen.
Yes people do, they are called TV trays and my family had them when we were young. I think my parents still use some.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Majesty

And remember, the first pre-packaged meals were called "TV Dinners".
Old 05-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Having a very small, tiny little cabin, we don't even own a table. I have an island in the kitchen and we mostly eat our meals in the living room in comfortable chairs near the TV and computer.

I've read it several places that HM likes to dine informally at times on a tray in front of the TV and I'm sure I read where Diana would also do the same with the boys.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Banana ice cream? Eww, gross! Like that Diana spoiled her kids, and most of the food!
Old 05-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent

We have Banana ice cream in Australia and it's delicious.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Understood. I stand corrected, though I do own that I do it when solo. I just find it odd to do when one is dealing with family, young children and all. I don't find the description of Diana's eating habits with her children endearing. Quite the reverse. Yet another example of her unusual attitudes imo. If true and accurate. Can we trust the chef?

I have to admit that I flashed that the claim is made to make the royal appear more 'normal'. Alls it does for me is make it seem strange, because sitting eating in front of the television with your children is not being with one's children imo. Lost time, lost opportunity for conversation and catching-up.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well many of us have memories of tv dinners and eating in front of the TV with our parents. The best times for me were when my parents watched the Superbowl together; I was bored so just listened to them talk.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Royal Highness

Goodness are really discussing if Diana and the boys did or didn't eat dinner on a tray sometimes ? Time for me to check out for a while

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana spent lots of quality time with her boys, taking them places, to friends, having fun with them. If she and they wanted to sometimes sit and watch TV and have supper together, so what!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:25 AM
Serene Highness

Agree. I eat and watch TV with my partner all the time and we talk during the programme..
Old 05-31-2016, 03:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hey! I made an off-the-wall observation that's really not important. Did not intend to offend anyone, truly.

I really have done too much reading on Diana and the constant litany of how 'normal' she wanted to be, and all that, gets wearing. She married into the peak of her social world and proceeded to complain about and denigrate the whole thing. I just had a conversation with one of my British friends and she gave me some context for it all.

Okay. I'm done. Carry on!
Old 05-31-2016, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

It seems a casual TV dinner is very popular. Time to move on now I think!
Old 05-31-2016, 05:50 AM
Serene Highness

To be fair to Diana, she knew little of the world when she married Charles. She had been brought up by a "backwoods peer" who mostly lived in Norfolk on his estate and she had hardly been out of England, even. THen she lived a year or so in London again in a narrow upper class world. How coudl she know what else there was? She married into the world of the upper classes- without having much contact wtih any othter class. But her world was alos a good deal less formal than the social and family rituals of the RF.. She and the other Spencer girls didn't always eat at a formal table or dress for dinner, as teenagers, I think that Di often had a snack in the kitchen and wasn't into a fancy or formal social life, even when she left home. She liked to cook and clean in her flat, and Im sure she and her girlfriends ate casually, watching TV or on the run. So I dont think that she's to blame for finding the RF TOO formal and fussy and complaining about it to soem extent. WIll & Harry also live more casually than their father or older royals, shopping in the supermarket, preparing some of their own meals, going for a burger etc. Diana did take them places like that, and she made them wait in line, etc and NOT use their royal status to delay "ordinary people." I dotn think that Di's to be blamed for wanting a certain amount of "ordinariness" in her life and for her boys.. Somone like the Queen is never going to change but the next generation HAS changed..
Old 05-31-2016, 06:45 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
No matter if you're a prince or a pauper, there isn't a kid between the ages of 8 and 80 that doesn't love the Magic Kingdom. As we were talking about how Diana wanted the boys to do things that a lot of other ordinary children get to do brought this trip to mind. Both parents had leaning towards being on stage and its no wonder that William would follow in their footsteps sooner or later.

This is quite a long video but its very entertaining.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-18-2016, 02:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Diana spent lots of quality time with her boys, taking them places, to friends, having fun with them. If she and they wanted to sometimes sit and watch TV and have supper together, so what!
I agree, the most cursory look at her life shows her spending a lot of time with the boys, taking them out places, being involved in sports iwth them.spending as much time with them as she possibly could. Some freinds did even say to her that she went to Eton too much to see William, that it was embarrassing for a boy to have his mum popping in so much, but I think she really adored her boys and wished that she could spend more time with them.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana