The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:I am a great believer in, once someone is dead, it is too late. The only one to benefit from that is the person who believes saying sorry at the graveside makes up for anything nasty they may have done If it eases their sense of guilt, then they weren't that bothered to start with.

Quote:To me, it doesn't make any difference, but.... In 40-50 years time, if William is made King, many who haven't heard any of the story will only have read about Williams mother. Over these years, she will be listed without an HRH and that will make no difference to those who read about her. Do you feel she needs an HRH for people to be able to remember the charity work and good parts of her life? Many of the ardent supporters may themselves have been involved in marriage breakups and time and experience does change most people's views. She will be a small chapter in the history of the Royal Family and if she is suddenly given posthumously an HRH, not only will it not alter anything, a lot of people will reason that it is not worth raking all that up again. It could also cause a great deal of turmoil to the start of Williams reign.

Quote:One doesn't honor a person's memory with an HRH. The HRH status is for living members of the Royal Family who are undertaking to be part of the Firm with all that entails.

Its not the mark of personal distinction but a mark of those whose lives are expected to be devoted to royal service. Not only is Diana dead, but towards the end of her life, Diana showed that she hated living within the restrictions of the Firm and she made public moves against the Firm.

A group hardly confers a sign of membership to a person who has shown disdain for the other fellow members or who has cast bad press about the group itself.

Its like rewarding someone who has given you a slap in the face.

Quote:I'm quite perplexed by the suggestion that William might restore his mother's HRH. It might be nice for the King's mother to be an HRH, but only the living can have styles, and she didn't have it when she died and unless she is resurrected she can't get it again. Death is final. End of story.

Prince William knows his mother fought to retain her HRH. Read pgs. 304-306 in Diana by Sarah Braford. Maybe a King can change rules and show an honor to a died person because that honor was taken away when she divorced Prince Charles. Look what Prince William just did last week with his garter emblem honoring his mother. The craftsman that made the piece said a maternal line is never been used in these garter emblems. He is only a prince an look what he did to honor his mother. Just think what Prince William might do for her when he is King. And if there is no turmoil now with this, then giving his mother back her title in 40 years or so there should not be a great deal of turmoil. Who of the establishment with be around to care? It will probably be a note in an article about King William for the week. But at least King William and Prince Harry with have given her the title she should have had. The above Posters I am sorry to disagree to agree with you all. We all will have to wait an see what King William will do to honor his mother.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Look what Prince William just did last week with his garter emblem honoring his mother. The craftsman that made the piece said a maternal line is never been used in these garter emblems.
And if you read the replies from 'our' experts, you would find that it was nothing new, it was already on his coat of arms and Harry's. It was an invented revelation. The craftsman clearly knew very little.
Quote:
He is only a prince an look what he did to honor his mother. Just think what Prince William might do for her when he is King. And if there is no turmoil now with this, then giving his mother back her title in 40 years or so there should not be a great deal of turmoil.
There is no fuss now because it was a non story and did not involve restoring the HRH.
Quote:
Who of the establishment with be around to care? It will probably be a note in an article about King William for the week. But at least King William and Prince Harry with have given her the title she should have had. The above Posters I am sorry to disagree to agree with you all. We all will have to wait an see what King William will do to honor his mother.
If none of the establishment will be around what would be the point. Many of the public will not care, they don't care that much now. I'm sorry georgiea, she forfeited the right to such an honour, not only with her treatment of the Royal Family, but with her adulterous affairs. Charles wasn't the only one who played that game.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:

Prince William knows his mother fought to retain her HRH. Read pgs. 304-306 in Diana by Sarah Braford. Maybe a King can change rules and show an honor to a died person because that honor was taken away when she divorced Prince Charles.
Yes, and William being closest to her, knew her innermost feelings and knows whether she deserved to have the HRH bestowed on her. Don't be so quick to think that William, with what he's seen of his parents, believes his mother deserves the HRH.

William must also come to grapple with the fact that bestowing a royal honour on his mother can be construed as giving an open insult to his father and his grandmother the Queen. Why should William be forced to choose between his parents this way? Don't you think he's tired of being torn between the two?

I do think William will choose to honor his mother, but in a more personal way and in a way that has no bearing on his royal standing or the monarchy, just a sincere gesture from a son to a mother.

Similar to his coat of arms which carried a small motif from her family crest.

For some reason, I foresee him naming a park after her. I don't know why but a park is as big as her personality.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
.If none of the establishment will be around what would be the point. Many of the public will not care, they don't care that much now.
Well if both Charles and the Queen live till 100 (which is not unheard of given the family history), the Queen will be on the Throne for another 20 years and Charles will be on the throne for yet another 20 years. That's 40 years from now; a lot of things can change.

I imagine William's actions as King depend on the influences he has. Right now he doesn't have close relations with the Spencers and its hard to imagine William staying close to the Spencers as he has children who marry and have grandchildren. Families tend to spread apart at that stage. I don't even know what the Spencers position as to whether Diana should have an HRH. If he's still close to Peter and Zara, they may influence him and they will be knowledgeable about the family history during Diana's life. I have no idea on what way they will influence William in this matter. Of course, Harry will be an influence.

As you say, its hard to predict.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

All that is true but William will have advisors, as does HM, so will Charles. It won't be a simple case of what he wants, it will be what is best for the country. If the republican movement has grown, as I expect it will, nobody will want to give them ammunition. That ammunition would be the undoing of a decision the Queen had, after careful consideration, made.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

Should William decide to honor his mother's memory with the HRH, there's no danger of it offending anyone as he would do so once he is king. This would be similar to Charles not marrying Camilla until after the QM died.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Barry George 'obsessed' with Princess Diana - mirror.co.uk

Very scary
Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Of course there were no laws available for use against stalkers back then, but if he was carrying a weapon, he should have been charged and if necessary received treatment!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
What is terrible is that some people blamed remorselessly Prince Charles for her death, but such wackos were never suspected. Find the logic ...

--------------

On a happier note, Princess Di named 'The Most Elegant Women Ever' | Hollywood News - Yahoo! India Movies

I wouldn't take this list too seriously as we don't have any information on when, where and how many people voted (if there was a vote).

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Aristocracy

I think what is ''terrible" is the overt need to continuously put Diana down. Even an innocent list such as this sets off sad commentary.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Well, I'm only telling the truth. We can't see any numbers or information on who voted for what. But if you have found something on this poll, please post it here.

May I also add that this 'sad commentary' was only intended to avoid any ambiguity or debate on if yes or no the list was properly done with an existent poll.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Well, I'm only telling the truth. We can't see any numbers or information on who voted for what. But if you have found something on this poll, please post it here.

May I also add that this 'sad commentary' was only intended to avoid any ambiguity or debate on if yes or no the list was properly done with an existent poll.
Call me a trouble maker.... The LIST was compiled by none other than the D Express, it wasn't a poll at all and we know that this tabloid still believes in conspiracy theories!

Sunday Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: Fashion & Beauty :: Are these the most elegant women ever?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

I don't know how a poll got mixed up in this as the article states "we've compiled a list".
The list changes from "the most elegant women ever" to "the ten most glamorous icons ever" to "top ten icons of elegance".
As an aside, Marilyn Monroe may figure in a top ten "It" girls or top ten "sex appeal" icons, but I've never figured her as an "icon of elegance".
Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it stems from the note under the photograph of Diana.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Royal Highness

how did jacqueline kennedy figure so far down the list? catherine zeta jones....how did she make it all? and isn't it a bit soon to have carla bruni on there?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Royal Highness

1. Princess Diana
2. Sophia Loren
3. Grace Kelly
4. Audrey Hepburn
5. Marilyn Monroe
6. Catherine Zeta Jones
7. Ava Gardner
8. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
9. Greta Garbo
10. Carla Bruni (ANI)

I am fine up to number 4. After that I think: Onassis, Grabo and Gardner.
But the others are to new on the sence or in Monroe's case to slutty. This is just my opinion about class and style.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
I think what is ''terrible" is the overt need to continuously put Diana down. Even an innocent list such as this sets off sad commentary.

Monika-Using Diana, Princess of Wales' name sells papers.It is a sad commentary on the media.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Portrait of Princess Diana made from lint is among items at new Ripley’s in London
http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal...princess-2542/

Row over Keira Knightley's new film trailer which includes references to Princess Diana
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ess-Diana.html

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...0wales/2425922
Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Portrait of Princess Diana made from lint is among items at new Ripley’s in London
http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal...princess-2542/
Pretty good likeness made out of lint.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Pretty good likeness made out of lint.
Hmm. It looks more than Rue McLanahan to me, but it is very good. Artists certainly come up with some interesting ideas for media to work with.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana