The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

It has nothing to do with her being young or being a supporter of hers...I fully recognize her faults within her marriage etc.
There have been umpteen books about Diana...all rehashing the same old stuff for the most part with the occasional twist (true or not). So what if she was involved with Clapton...no one cares except the guy writing the book who thinks if he adds this paragraph it will increase his sales.

At some point enough is enough. The woman has been laid bare...now it's just insult to injury.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is a biography about Clapton though - so if they had a relationship then it is relevant to his life and so should be included in a biography about him as well.

Books on Diana will still be being written in 1000 years time and some people will use biographies of other people as part of their research.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

So anyone can say whatever they like about her in their book so it sells. Then the Diana haters can get their jollies by repeating it and writing vile comments IMO
Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Basically yeah. It's sad and downright wrong, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

No it isn't that at all. If she had a relationship with another person then that relationship should be dealt with in a biography of that other person.
A good biographer would have evidence to support that claim.
It isn't a matter of the Diana haters having a field day at all but it is a matter of writing an accurate biography of those whom she came into contact with on a regular basis.

Would anyone expect a biography of James Hewitt or Hasnet Khan or Paul Burrell to not include a discussion of their relationship with Diana? No of course not. So why should any other person's biography, who had any detailed contact with her, not include a discussion of that relationship?
Many people had a relationship with Diana - they weren't all sexual - and those relationships need to be discussed if relevant to the other person's life. It isn't all about Diana but about other people as well.

Clapton was known to have talked to her and had some sort of relationship with her. What the nature of that relationship was, I don't know but that there was one is known. Why should that not be discussed? It is part of his life as well as hers and is therefore relevant to his biography as much as hers.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

Because the other person isn't alive to say if it's true or not. IMO people love to put down Diana and say things about her they would never say about a living person
Anyway I'm just giving oxygen to the haters
Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just because people have an opposing opinion, it suddenly makes them haters does it? That's a new one.
Iluvbertie is right, as pretty much always. If anyone, ever met a royal under any circumstances and had the opportunity to write a biography meeting a royal is going to be included whether they're alive or dead.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Based on a quick google I just did, it seems the book alleges they may - may - have had a fling in 1993 - after Diana was divorced! We know they met earlier than that, because there are photographs of them together. This is a biography of Clapton. Diana was a person he met and, according to a source who provided information to the biographer, later - I repeat: after she was divorced - spent time together in which she seemed to be blatantly flirting.

"According to a society friend of Clapton's, who was also on speaking terms with Diana, the attraction between them was 'absolutely obvious,'" he wrote. "There was a 'Carry On' film element to it,' says the friend. A lot of winking and overtly steamy looks. A story went around that one time when she and Eric were both at San Lorenzo, Diana began sucking suggestively on a piece of ice as she gave him the eye. Everyone loved that."

I think it would be a very strange and incomplete biography of Clapton if the biographer had hold of this piece of information and didn't use it.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana was divorced in 1996.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

My bad. The article said 1993 and I swallowed it. They were well and truly separated though, so they might as well have been divorced and it makes no difference in my mind.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

True. However I always consider their divorce date as 1996. No problem.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Because the other person isn't alive to say if it's true or not.
If the only biographies that can ever be written are those of living persons historians wouldn't be able to write most biographies or even histories as they generally write about dead people.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

So, because Diana, who was quite a flirtatious person when she wanted to be, seemed to onlookers to be flirty with Clapton, the author of this biography is inferring they had an affair! Anything to sell copies!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
So, because Diana, who was quite a flirtatious person when she wanted to be, seemed to onlookers to be flirty with Clapton, the author of this biography is inferring they had an affair! Anything to sell copies!
I think the fact that Diana appeared to have been flirting with Clapton is sufficient to warrant a mention of the event in a biography of HIS life.

If the fact a person is now dead were reason to exclude mention of that person in a biography of another person's life, then mention of interactions between Clapton and his son, Conor, would be prohibited.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Majesty

These are my thoughts as well. There's quite a leap between a public flirtation and an out-right affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Royal Highness

Diana was flirtatious with multiple men.

If a lover, relative, friend or an acquaintance tells the author it led to a fling or a relationship happened, the writer is not making the story up nor is he assuming more than what he was told.

The Daily Mail used Diana to sell its story on the book. It was not the author selling the story to the DM. The author was not interviewed.

Blaming and attacking Eric Clapton as some have done is wrong.

Blaming and attacking the author without reading the book is also wrong.

It is best to see if the writer has named his sources. Or based on the information in the book, if one can surmise the name of the source or the person's relationship to Clapton and Diana.

IMO, blindly dismissing or agreeing with any story without reading it is also wrong.

I personally check dates and timelines to see if the 'story' adds up.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

The bottom line is- people have lied about Diana one too many times to sell books, gain attention to their articles, documentaries and movies. Some people have made a great deal of money out her over the years since her death.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-07-2015, 02:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The bottom line is- people have lied about Diana one too many times to sell books, gain attention to their articles, documentaries and movies. Some people have made a great deal of money out her over the years since her death.

And some people wrote books and articles about her while she was alive that were dismissed as lies and have proven to be true.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

As they do with all historical figures.

Whether they are lies or interpretations is often a fine line based on the way the author sees things as well.

Like it or hate it Diana is a figure of historical interest so her life will be racked over the coals for centuries to come just like Marie-Antionette, Empress Alexandra of Russia or Anne Boleyn for instance - women about whom many books have been written, some with outlandish allegations but they sell and will continue to sell - just as similar books about Diana will do so.

Her fans will object, but they are getting older and to the newer generation who weren't alive through those years she is no different to them than someone like Marie-Antoinette - a divisive figure within her own lifetime.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:57 AM
Royal Highness

When discussing about the docu "Reinventing the Royals" and why, in my view, it was unecessary to rehash the same old stories, i've been told, rightfully that it was a part of the History of the House of Windsor.
Now i would like to know why bringing back stories (often rumors) about the BRF in general and Charles and Camilla in particular is always "History" and the ones about Diana are "Lèse-Majesté".
Don't get me wrong, the Clapton thing is of course a provocative headline to sell the book but i can't help but think that there's is a real double standard regarding Diana, making some unbiased discussions about her very difficult sometimes.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana