The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News & Questions Thread 8: June 2008- 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This post could equally belong in the Spencer, Diana Legacy or other threads. Let's not go off topic but stay on the KP theme. Or Mods, move this. Regarding: New Diana exhibition at Kensington Palace opens February 2017 | Historic Royal Palaces
In the interest of fairness, I just want to say, I'm not so sold on this exhibit at KP from Historic Royal Places.
I've read so often on the Spencer thread that the family is just cashing in on her memory. I've read so many people post here that Wills and Harry are offended by what the Spencers have done with her legacy. I know I believe there is more to Royal History than the past 20 years and fashion.
Well, while I understand the timing of this exhibit, I think this can be lumped with said Spencer-ish behavior. If it's bad from the gander, can it be wonderful coming from the goose?
How many exhibits of Diana's fashion have we seen over the years? Did KP need to do one more? Obviously, this exhibit will make money. But the mission of HRP: "Our Cause is to help everyone explore the story of how monarchs and people have shaped society, in some of the greatest palaces ever built."
I guess it just makes me sad to see HRP making what I see as a fairly obvious and well-worn money grab when there is so much other royal history they could be exploring.
Hate on me if you like, I just had to share that. And in the interest of further disclosure, were I in London in March, I would go see KP and I would see this exhibit. I'd still wish it were something else that was new learning and not a rehash of what we have seen over and over for more than 20 years.

This post could equally belong in the Spencer, Diana Legacy or other threads. Let's not go off topic but stay on the KP theme. Or Mods, move this. Regarding: New Diana exhibition at Kensington Palace opens February 2017 | Historic Royal Palaces
In the interest of fairness, I just want to say, I'm not so sold on this exhibit at KP from Historic Royal Places.
I've read so often on the Spencer thread that the family is just cashing in on her memory. I've read so many people post here that Wills and Harry are offended by what the Spencers have done with her legacy. I know I believe there is more to Royal History than the past 20 years and fashion.
Well, while I understand the timing of this exhibit, I think this can be lumped with said Spencer-ish behavior. If it's bad from the gander, can it be wonderful coming from the goose?
How many exhibits of Diana's fashion have we seen over the years? Did KP need to do one more? Obviously, this exhibit will make money. But the mission of HRP: "Our Cause is to help everyone explore the story of how monarchs and people have shaped society, in some of the greatest palaces ever built."
I guess it just makes me sad to see HRP making what I see as a fairly obvious and well-worn money grab when there is so much other royal history they could be exploring.
Hate on me if you like, I just had to share that. And in the interest of further disclosure, were I in London in March, I would go see KP and I would see this exhibit. I'd still wish it were something else that was new learning and not a rehash of what we have seen over and over for more than 20 years.

I agree 100%. Is her legacy just her clothes? because thats what this looks like. They could add areas covering her work re HIV/AIDS and lndmine clearance.

I have some sympathy with HRP which is a charity and need to earn money to maintain buildings and conserve treasures but they need to broaden the subject matter.

They have a limited amount of space and a need to have people come to a see a palace that is open all the time and may have already visited. The best way to do this is display famous clothing.

Its not any different than what the royal collection does for their summer opening. The temporary exhibit they put in is usually clothing base. This year was Fashioning a Reign which featured clothing worn by the Queen.

Diana's clothing is part of the history of the BRF. As such, it's a legitimate subject for display. Those dresses are works of art.

They have a limited amount of space and a need to have people come to a see a palace that is open all the time and may have already visited. The best way to do this is display famous clothing.

Its not any different than what the royal collection does for their summer opening. The temporary exhibit they put in is usually clothing base. This year was Fashioning a Reign which featured clothing worn by the Queen.

Well, I'm in the midst of a clothing display event and have a reason to differ with this.
I belong to a social group with many couples in it. The Dressing Downton Exhibit is here and some of our members thought it would be fun to see this as a group. So, I've polled people to see if they were interested and if so, when.
Well we will have a robust group of women going as not a single man in the group had any interest. Not everyone is into fashion. As I have learned.
And there are interesting other kinds of topics out there for historic venues. Architectural choices/details/additions/renovations can look not only at architecture but economics, finance, building methods, craftsmanship, politics, etc.
A history of military units, transportation, Royal Warrants or food at KP are things that spring to mind that would be of interest to a wide audience. I am certain there are many more.
Displays of Diana's fashion started before she died. It's time to give it a rest.

I imagine Diana had had enough of towers, royal or otherwise by then! :whistling:

Not that that would stop The Donald! :lol:

Museums (and KP is mostly a museum) must put on exhibits that people would like to see.

There's no point in spending staff time and funds to mount a display that not very many people will be interested in.

This is true of many venues. If you work for a non-profit, you quickly learn that certain things are sure-fire money-makers.
(An exhibit on Ancient Egypt, for instance, will always generate a crowd.
Or an art exhibit that focuses on the Impressionists will get more traffic than one focusing on Primitive sculpture).

I'm not trying to exalt one over the other, I'm just saying that is the way it is. If you are going to invest your resources in a costly time-consuming exhibit, you want a decent turn-out.

KP basically promotes the royals with ties to the location. The big 2 for KP are Victoria and Diana. An exhibition about Queen Anne isn't going to draw people to the palace and the palace isn't going to put an exhibition about Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII at KP where they have no ties to. That would go to Hampton Court.

I don't think it's surprising considering the circumstances (that Camilla launched this initiative.) I do think it's a pity, however.

I'm sure it will be a well put together moment, whatever is planned out.

I for one am relieved. Contrary to what daily fail says about it bring some historical milestone, it isn't. She has been gone for twenty years. This is not a memorial for a battle or big tragic event. Yes she was loved and will be remembered, but the need to hold public memorials for twenty years seems excessive at best. If her family wishes to have a private memorial, for people who actually knew and loved her, that's great.

Perhaps take the money and time devoted to such an event and donate it to one of her charities. Instead of another memorial concert or garden, honor what she is being remembered for.

Perhaps through Sentable for instance, create a Diana legacy bursary, to help educate children. Africa and AIDS were so close to her heart. It is something that could be added to every year. And would be an honor to her legacy Diana would approve of.

Last edited:
:previous: Excellent suggestions Countessmeout. I agree that the time for a large scale memorial has passed and her sons honored her in that manner ten years ago. Now if they choose to memorialize her in a more low key and private manner that is entirely appropriate.

If we look closely at some of the things both William and Harry are involved in, its ongoing work is a day to day memorial of their late mother. They are taking the work that she started doing because she believed in what she was doing and continue to keep that alive. Causes that easily come to mind for me is Centrepointe for William and Sentebale for Harry. What better memorial for a beloved mother than to keep her memory alive through things close to her heart?

I am sure that if there are people out there that would like to have a public event to remember and honor Diana, there would be no problem with that at all. The boys have just stated that, as a family, they will not be planning any kind of a public event to honor the 20th anniversary. I'm sure that they'll remember her and honor her themselves in their own private ways.

They did the concert and I'm sure it helped them as much as anything else at the time, ten years on and both in their mid twenties. It was a celebration in memory of the life of their mother. And a good day out!

As suggested I wouldn't be surprised at a charity based tribute such as The Diana Trust etc.

:previous: I find this to be absolutely tasteless, tacky and inconsiderate. I would think that those kind of letters would be the ones that William and Harry would wish to hold onto themselves rather than have them out on the money market for sale.

Totally agree Osipi. They should be returned to her boys IMO not sold.

LaRae

Yes, the letters should've been returned to her sons. Letters like this should be put in the royal archives, imo.

Yet no comment on the letters and pictures, even queens wedding cake, should be returned to the family :ermm:

Yes tasteless, but not surprising. When a family member died, the rest of the family divides up what he or she hasn't left specifically in a will, and sell what until wanted. Estate sales are a big thing. The only reason this is shocking bud becayse the items have Royal background. These items go on sale all the time, things with roual connection, the family likely didn't see the difference. They didn't want to keep them, so why not sell and split the money. Not saying I agree with it at all, but not surprised by it.

Interesting - however I think she would have looked neither as lined or as "stringy" as those last two pictures suggest.
56 is no great age for any woman who takes reasonable care of herself :flowers:

Yes because she would have aged horribly, the first photo looks much older than 56, and her styling would have remained in the 90s:bang:

This is just creepy. Like the photos when they put her into photos with William and his kids. Creepy, uncalled for and please stop :ermm:

Yes because she would have aged horribly, the first photo looks much older than 56, and her styling would have remained in the 90s:bang:

Well, she did like sun and sea, and that usually takes its toll.

But of course no one knows.

I agree that the 'ageing' photo looks odd. Diana fan though I am I do feel that, especially if she was still somewhat in public life, that Diana would have gone in for a little 'refreshing' in her forties and fifties. If not full cosmetic treatments I do believe she would have probably gone the Botox and bee-sting route.

She would have taken care of herself of course but the sun and beach life that she adored would certainly have taken a toll. Other Royal women have had Botox as well so she wouldn't have been alone!

I also feel that the colour of Diana's hair might have undergone a change over the years as well. She may not have chosen to remain a golden blonde in her later life but perhaps tried an ash or reddish brown hair colour. Of course, it's all speculation but that's what we're here for! :lol:

Last edited:
It's too painful to even think about how she would've looked like had she lived. Miss her too much for that.

It's too painful to even think about how she would've looked like had she lived. Miss her too much for that.

I completely agree Dman. I want her back and I don't care a bit what she would have looked like now.:sad:

I suppose that anything that resurrects the Diana/Camilla/Charles triangle will get viewings. :rolleyes: I just think that it's a stupid few sentences. Who knows what Camilla thinks; and really, why should we care?

Why DM still feels the need to post articles like this is beyond me...

What a spiteful and nasty article. An it's not even one, only few words.
We can expect such literature for the next months i presume. I remember vividly back in 2007 when it was announced that Camilla had to attend the memorial service for Diana. I though 'well what a wonderful opportunity to make peace and to show respect to the late princess". Alas the Daily Mail was already more than pleased to blow on the embers ... At the end Camilla didn't go, and her statement at the time was quite unusual and personnal for a member of the BRF.

Last edited:
What a spiteful and nasty article. An it's not even one, only few words.
We can expect such literature for the next months i presume. I remember vividly back in 2007 when it was announced that Camilla had to attend the memorial service for Diana. I though 'well what a wonderful opportunity to make peace and to show respect to the late princess". Alas the Daily Mail was already more than pleased to blow on the embers ... At the end Camilla didn't go, and her statement at the time was quite unusual and personnal for a member of the BRF.

The media backlash is what caused the palace officials and The Queen to advise Camilla to back out. It would've been a good good opportunity for Camilla to pay her respects along with the family. I'll never forget the way some folks and the media showed their behinds on the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom