The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

How very interesting.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it was interesting. I disagree with the writer's view of Diana's panorama interview, though. That interview achieved nothing besides the end of her marriage. For those who already thought that Diana was some kind of paranoid egomaniac, the interview gave them the proof they needed. As for George VI, his speeches were for the benefit of the people of the UK and the Commonwealth. There weren't any references to his own personal problems, unlike there were in many of the speeches that Diana gave in the 1990s. I actually prefer her earlier speeches. She was indeed shy and rushed, but I preferred those speeches over the bold, look-at-me, speeches of the 90s.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I felt that her later speeches held a lot more meaning than her earlier one's. I know her 1992 or 1993 speech on bulimia was very inspirational to a few of my friends who suffer from eating disorders.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Did Diana's speech about bulimia help them to recover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I know her 1992 or 1993 speech on bulimia was very inspirational to a few of my friends who suffer from eating disorders.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
There weren't any references to his own personal problems, unlike there were in many of the speeches that Diana gave in the 1990s. I actually prefer her earlier speeches. She was indeed shy and rushed, but I preferred those speeches over the bold, look-at-me, speeches of the 90s.
I appreciattee the point you are making. Perhaps I am being slightly harsh here, but IMO, in her later years, a lot of Diana's speeches were about Diana herself, rather than the specific issues she was talking about. I am not suggesting that she did not care about the causes she was supporting, but there was an over riding desire to manage her image and sending out covert (and sometiems overt) messages that was probably paramount.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Did Diana's speech about bulimia help them to recover?
Well in a way, but the support of their friends, family, and a psychiatrist are helping them on their path to recovery. They felt ashamed to suffer from the disease and that shame prevented them from coming to me and others for help. So hearing Diana's speech on Anorexia & Bulimia, reading books such as Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter, and Portia De Rossi's Unbearable Lightness, inspired them to seek help and to not feel shame. I am very happy that my two friends are getting help and are on the road to recovery.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm glad to hear that your friends are doing better, sirhon.
Quote:
Well in a way, but the support of their friends, family, and a psychiatrist are helping them on their path to recovery. They felt ashamed to suffer from the disease and that shame prevented them from coming to me and others for help.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, and her tone was more strident as well. I don't think that her role as Princess of Wales was to lecture people, but that's what her speeches came across as at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am not suggesting that she did not care about the causes she was supporting, but there was an over riding desire to manage her image and sending out covert (and sometiems overt) messages that was probably paramount.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Diana fretted about her dress before Princess Grace told her, 'It'll only get worse' | Mail Online
Old 09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I hadn't heard the Diana-and-Grace story with so many details before, and I'd always imagined the conversation taking place at the poetry venue, not at Buckingham Palace. I found the Barrymore story more disturbing, particularly that Diana didn't want his wife around when she talked with him. That should have been a red flag.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Aristocracy

I've always loved this story about Princess Grace and the then Lady Diana; it shows the remarkable qualities of each woman in very vivid lights. Diana's combination of vulnerability and bravado along with Grace's calm serenity, charm and sense of humour. I doubt anything could have made Lady Diana calm down as much as Grace's ironic but understanding comment.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I found these two stories very interesting. Grace meant so much to Diana, it was a proud moment for the princess when she attended the funeral of her mentor.
I was also happy to read that Barrymore came out of the closet with Diana's support. Not every man and woman has that support when he or she chooses to come out.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Royal Highness

The Princess's Speech: How George VI & Princess Di Faced Similar Challenges

I really enjoyed this article,thanks for sharing!
And how true: I told her that Charles could not, in a million years, match what she had -- one of the most inherently compelling and charismatic personalities I had ever encountered.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I found these two stories very interesting. Grace meant so much to Diana, it was a proud moment for the princess when she attended the funeral of her mentor.
I found the first hard to believe. What young woman with the world at her feet and dressed daringly by her favourite Designers would be wearing a dress two sizes too small. That is a recipe for stress for Diana and potential ruin to the designers who couldn't even get her size right! But it sure made good press!

Quote:
I was also happy to read that Barrymore came out of the closet with Diana's support. Not every man and woman has that support when he or she chooses to come out.
I was more than a little surprised. Not wanting his wife there when she must have been aware of what was going on, like others, sends up red flags for me.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I found the first hard to believe. What young woman with the world at her feet and dressed daringly by her favourite Designers would be wearing a dress two sizes too small. That is a recipe for stress for Diana and potential ruin to the designers who couldn't even get her size right! But it sure made good press!

I was more than a little surprised. Not wanting his wife there when she must have been aware of what was going on, like others, sends up red flags for me.
I agree. Two sizes too small? And I read that Charles wanted her to change the dress but she refused. I think by the time Grace went to calm her down Diana had realized what an embarrassing situation she had put herself into. Exhibitionism evident at the very start - that back-fired - but totally in-keeping with the fact that she was a teenager and would make such a choice. Teenagers do that sort of thing. (Sadly, though, she never grew out of it and she would always define herself sexually).

The second story shows Diana not a little crass - 'wifey'? And this is the woman who would point fingers at others? 'Three in a marriage' and all that? Ouch!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

'Princess Diana was in talks to star in The Bodyguard 2', reveals Kevin Costner | Mail Online
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I remember hearing this story years ago and took it with as much a grain of salt as I do now.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course there are those who'll wish to believe it, and choose to believe it.

Anyone can say what they like when a persons dead. Theres no one to clarify or dispell their comments.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I find it hard to believe Diana would actually star in that film - or any film for that matter.
As Kevin Costner said himself, she was going to actually do it; they were just talking about a possible sequel.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

I'm inclined to believe it. Now that would've been something to see!

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana