The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Who would sue them?
And on what grounds? Just curious.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Aristocracy

Mermaid1962, Diana's family had failed to defend her memory IMO.And it's not the first time.I'm not a fan of Diana but we must be fair, this was very disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
And on what grounds? Just curious.
Is your curiosity satisfied now?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Anna View Post
It is unacceptable and they should be sued for that.

For what - doing some advertising using a model who some people think looks like a dead woman?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Aristocracy

Some people think that? Isn't it obvious?
Oh,and what about the tiara and the name? It's a coincidence right?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree, it was highly disrespectful. But in order to sue, a living person has to sustain a loss. As far as I understand it, there can't be a lawsuit on behalf of a deceased person; and I can't see where Diana's family or sons have sustained an actual loss here.

Quote:
Mermaid1962, Diana's family had failed to defend her memory IMO.And it's not the first time.I'm not a fan of Diana but we must be fair, this was very disrespectful.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I agree, it was highly disrespectful. But in order to sue, a living person has to sustain a loss. As far as I understand it, there can't be a lawsuit on behalf of a deceased person; and I can't see where Diana's family or sons have sustained an actual loss here.
I agree and will add that Diana's memory is well respescted by just looking at these boards and the commentaries. However now and again a situation regarding her memeory and image arises which is unseemly and has to be dealt with.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Aristocracy

We agree on everything mermaid1962, i don't know anything about the lawsuit but i know that everyone eventually took advantage of her.What i am trying to say is that there have been numerous articles (and books) written about her by people who supposedly loved her but took advantage of her and gained money.And now this..And they won't stop acting like this,showing lack of respect until someone reacts angrily.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And now this..And they won't stop acting like this,showing lack of respect until someone reacts angrily.
Helen Anna, I always wondered why her boys or the Spencers did not stop some of the books published since her death. This underwear ad should be taken to court. I think this is the worst injustice to a princess' name. Next we will have her portrayed in a adult film.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Aristocracy

Exactly..I can understand that her young boys were even more devastated.They were feeling numb and sad.But the Spencers..
Anyway speculation is prohibited so i'll stop here.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

How could they have stopped them? These books are published in countries that have the right to a free press. I don't like the trash written about the Princess either, but I can't see how there can be any kind of injunction against a book written after a person dies. The time to do those things was when Diana was still alive; but again, Britain, the USA, Canada...all these nations have a free press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I always wondered why her boys or the Spencers did not stop some of the books published since her death.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
How could they have stopped them? These books are published in countries that have the right to a free press. I don't like the trash written about the Princess either, but I can't see how there can be any kind of injunction against a book written after a person dies. The time to do those things was when Diana was still alive; but again, Britain, the USA, Canada...all these nations have a free press.
Could they have sues to be able to read the book before publication and then have the author change parts of the book? Or band the book in Great Britain and the commonwealth?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Books by Royal employees can't be published in Britain, but they can be published and bought in the Commonwealth AFAIK...certainly books like THE HOUSEKEEPER'S DIARY can be published and sold here in Canada. Ken Wharfe could publish his book in the UK because he wasn't technically a Royal employee--he worked for the police.

But, outside of that stipulation, because those employees sign confidentiality agreements--the same as employees of government offices and insurance companies, etc.--I don't think that a person can be sued for writing or saying something that a person doesn't like. There would have to be actual falsehood in the text or the story. Then a person could be sued for libel or slander. But there are so many books about Diana and so many articles, that a person would have to be suing all the time to keep false stories out of the press. And, if the person's dead, I don't think that anything can be done. The actual victim of the libel or slander has to be the one suing. At least this is what I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Could they have sues to be able to read the book before publication and then have the author change parts of the book? Or band the book in Great Britain and the commonwealth?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

Selfless Dion proud to gain Diana Award

Selfless Dion proud to gain Diana Award (From This is Hampshire)
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Serene Highness

The company in question is in China. If someone sued over this, it would have to be in the Chinese court system.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Dion sounds like a wonderful young person who really cares about others. It's good to give girls like her recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02 View Post
Old 10-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Princess Diana's Shakespeare notes that prove she did pay attention in class | Mail Online

Quote:
She famously described herself as ‘thick as two short planks’. Yet a school book discarded by Princess Diana and found in a bin shows she did at least try hard in class.
Notes scrawled by the teenage Diana Spencer on the copy of ­William Shakespeare’s play The Tempest are signs of an academic interest in ­literature never previously credited to her.
The book bears Diana’s signature and the date 1977 on the first page. At this time she was studying for O-levels at West Heath Girls’ School in Sevenoaks, Kent.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness

I don't believe she was stupid, ever. She tried and maths is not indicator of intelligence either. She was a wonderful mother and Princess of Wales.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Serene Highness

x factor 2010: Sinitta remembers her friend princess diana

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Showbiz :: X Factor 2010: Sinitta remembers her friend Princess Diana
Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posts discussing Diana films have been moved to the Royal Library thread Movies, TV shows and Videos about Diana.
Fashion posts have been moved to the Diana - Style icon thread in the Royal House of Fashion.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness

The Princess's Speech: How George VI & Princess Di Faced Similar Challenges

Richard Greene: The Princess's Speech: How George VI & Princess Di Faced Similar Challenges

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana