The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

A comic book, portraying the life of princess Diana, has been branded “disgusting” for carrying graphic illustrations of the Paris tunnel
where she was killed in a car crash in 1997, and her sons grieving at her funeral.

Margaret Funnell, co-founder of the Diana Circle UK, a group dedicated to her memory, said, “It’s disgusting. Their feeble excuse is that they wanted to show the young people of America her life. They could have done it with lovely stories. They didn’t need to stoop to this.”

UK finds Di comic 'disgusting' - UK - World - The Times of India

Old 11-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The Diana Circle is known to be radically pro-Diana, is it not? Whether they think it disgusting or not, that was Diana's life. I don't think that the "comic book" was intended to be a fan-magazine.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness

Princess-Diana-opened-Xmas-gifts-early

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2780081/Princess-Diana-opened-Xmas-gifts-early.html
Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Serene Highness

An article with the letter
Princess Diana opened her Christmas presents weeks in advance, private letters reveal | Mail Online

Diana's in Britain's most searched list for the 2000s
http://www.examiner.com/x-16629-Brit...e-2000s-photos
Old 01-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Princess Diana regretted marrying into a ‘German family’ review | Non-fiction book reviews - Times Online

Diana, Princess of Wales regretted marrying into a “German family”, she told Anthony Julius, her divorce lawyer.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

German? I thought they were Scotch, at least that's what the Duchess of Kent said. . . .
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The only Scottish, and that's dubious, was the Queen Mother.

Look at Prince Philip. The child of a Battenberg and Sondersburg-Glucksburg, raised partially in Germany.

And Elizabeth Windsor aka Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. The Windsors attempted to make themselves British after the outbreak of World War I.

Sounds pretty German to me!

I did some more research on this point about the Queen Mother. Of her great-great-great-grandparents, 49 of 64 have been identified. And only one, the 8th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, was Scottish. Although she may have identified herself as being Scottish, it's questionable.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

This sounds like Diana had a bit of xenophobia. The British people as a whole are made up of a mixmash of nationalities--Saxon, Norman, Celt, Scandinavian, etc.
The Royal Family certainly have considered themselves British for generations. The last truly German monarch was George 1.
My opinion is that Diana tried to make herself distinct from the Royal Family: she was "English" as opposed to the "Germans." She was saying, in effect, "You and I, Julius, we're alike."
Old 01-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

Wasn't the late Princess Margaret born in Scotland?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Yes, Margaret was born at Glamis Castle, one of the residences of the Bowes-Lyon family. But the Queen Mother might not have been born in Scotland, there seems to be some question as to where she was born.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness

The authors put quotes from Diana to sell more books.
They should let her rest in peace.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Its one of the most ridiculous statements I have heard in a while.

I mean, how long are they going to call the British Royal Family German. And by all means, this is not an insult to the German people. But since George III, I believe all British monarchs were born in Britian. So that would in effect make them British right? Or am I thinking like an American, where parents of Spanish, Italian, German, etc can have a child born in American and that child is American.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

I fail to understand why the pundits of the press repeatedly refer to her German ancestry as something to be made fun of. So, H.M has German heritage...so what? Millions of people around the world are a hodge podge of mixed ancestry. It's such a moot point, really - we are all nationals of the countries we personally hold dear. Confusing "nationality" with "ancestry" seems to be a particular failing of those press pundits.

I'm thinking along the same lines - to me, the Queen is British. She was born in Britain, and she's devoted her life in service to the people of the United Kingdom-"British" is something she has earned.

Thought people might be interested in this thread to do with the Royal Family and German ancestry!

Prince Charles and his siblings :

Father - Prince Philip:
Prince Philip's father was Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark whose parents were King George I of Greece and Queen Olga (nee Grand Duchess Olga Konstantinevna of Russia)
King George I of Greece was born Prince William of Denmark - his parents were King Christian IX and Queen Louise of Denmark .. King Christian was born Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holsetin-Sonderburg-Glucksburg - German .. Queen Louise was Princess Louise of Hesse-Cassel - German

Mother of Prince Philip:
Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark (nee Princess Alice of Battenberg -
Father of Princess Alice - Prince Louis of Battenberg ... Mother of Princess Alice - Princess Victoria Alberta of Hesse-Darmstadt (daughter of Grand Duke Ludwig of Hesse-Darmstadt and Princess Alice of Great Britain and Ireland (daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert) ... very German

Queen Elizabeth II
Father - King George VI
Mother - Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (Scots)

King George VI
Father - King George V
Mother - Princess Victoria Mary of Teck (morganatic branch line of the German House of Wurttemberg) - German

King George V
Father - King Edward VII
Mother - Princess Alexandra of Denmark (daughter of the above mentioned King Christian IX and Queen Louise)

King Edward VII
Father - Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
Mother - Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland

Queen Victoria
Father - Edward, Duke of Kent
Mother - Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saafelfd

Edward, Duke of Kent:
Father - King George III
Mother - Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

... so you can see the British Royal Family was basically German as the Danish Royal Family of the current Royal House of Denmark was founded by two Germans - Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holsetin-Sonderburg-Glucksburg and Princess Louise of Hesse-Cassel

The late Queen Mother brought some Scots blood into the Royal House and the late Diana, Princess of Wales some English.

Queen Elizabeth II is only half British.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Majesty

I always love the comment Philip allegedly made when he and the Queen moved into Windsor Castle in 1952.

One of the retainers there was telling Philip how wonderful Windsor was and how much he would enjoy living there and how many great people had been born there etc - Philip replied 'Yes I know my mother was born here' (along with his maternal grandmother). Something even the Queen can't claim as her royal ancestors weren't that recently born at Windsor.

So Philip born in Greece has a mother born in Britain at the most British of royal homes - Windsor Castle.

When going back through the Queen and Philip's ancestry it is easier to list the main line (the kings/queens) who were not born in Britain than those who were.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Cuts threaten future of HIV respite centre opened by Diana

Cuts threaten future of HIV respite centre opened by Diana - Edinburgh Evening News

Norfolk woman sells Princess Diana letters

Norfolk woman sells Princess Diana letters - Norfolk News - EDP24

LISTEN TO SOUL LEGEND’S MUSICAL TRIBUTE TO PRINCESS DIANA

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Listen to Soul legend’s musical tribute to Princess Diana
Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope the respite centre will be saved. And George Benson's tribute song is beautiful.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

day in the life of diana for tourists
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Day in the life of Diana for tourists

Remembering Diana
Remembering Diana - Travel - NewsObserver.com
Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02 View Post
It is an excellent idea.I hope to do it when I go to London.Remembering Diana is always worth
Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Serene Highness

princess diana was a fan of feng shui

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Princess Diana was a fan of feng shui
Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

As an interior designer, I'm thrilled that Princess Diana likes fung shui....she was truly complex and amazing, imo.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana