The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News & Questions Thread 8: June 2008- 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I've always loved this story about Princess Grace and the then Lady Diana; it shows the remarkable qualities of each woman in very vivid lights. Diana's combination of vulnerability and bravado along with Grace's calm serenity, charm and sense of humour. I doubt anything could have made Lady Diana calm down as much as Grace's ironic but understanding comment.

I found these two stories very interesting. Grace meant so much to Diana, it was a proud moment for the princess when she attended the funeral of her mentor.
I was also happy to read that Barrymore came out of the closet with Diana's support. Not every man and woman has that support when he or she chooses to come out.

I found these two stories very interesting. Grace meant so much to Diana, it was a proud moment for the princess when she attended the funeral of her mentor.
I found the first hard to believe. What young woman with the world at her feet and dressed daringly by her favourite Designers would be wearing a dress two sizes too small. That is a recipe for stress for Diana and potential ruin to the designers who couldn't even get her size right! But it sure made good press!

I was also happy to read that Barrymore came out of the closet with Diana's support. Not every man and woman has that support when he or she chooses to come out.
I was more than a little surprised. Not wanting his wife there when she must have been aware of what was going on, like others, sends up red flags for me.

I found the first hard to believe. What young woman with the world at her feet and dressed daringly by her favourite Designers would be wearing a dress two sizes too small. That is a recipe for stress for Diana and potential ruin to the designers who couldn't even get her size right! But it sure made good press!

I was more than a little surprised. Not wanting his wife there when she must have been aware of what was going on, like others, sends up red flags for me.

I agree. Two sizes too small? And I read that Charles wanted her to change the dress but she refused. I think by the time Grace went to calm her down Diana had realized what an embarrassing situation she had put herself into. Exhibitionism evident at the very start - that back-fired - but totally in-keeping with the fact that she was a teenager and would make such a choice. Teenagers do that sort of thing. (Sadly, though, she never grew out of it and she would always define herself sexually).

The second story shows Diana not a little crass - 'wifey'? And this is the woman who would point fingers at others? 'Three in a marriage' and all that? Ouch!

Last edited:
I remember hearing this story years ago and took it with as much a grain of salt as I do now.

Of course there are those who'll wish to believe it, and choose to believe it.

Anyone can say what they like when a persons dead. Theres no one to clarify or dispell their comments.

I find it hard to believe Diana would actually star in that film - or any film for that matter.
As Kevin Costner said himself, she was going to actually do it; they were just talking about a possible sequel.

I'm inclined to believe it. Now that would've been something to see!;)

I believe even Diana had still a bit of a grip on what was fanatsy and what was real life. She would have never starred in a film, not as herself and not as a fictional character. For her the world was a stage but one on which she preferred to be herself (as leading character). So she certainly did not want to diminish her standing by becoming an actress professionally.

I'm inclined to believe it. Now that would've been something to see!;)

Me too. Why would Kevin Costner now come up with this story if it wasnt true. He is not exactly a gossip person, has behaved very dignified re his own private life & not taken the opportunity to seek the limelight re Whitney Houston.

I do believe that Diana thought about various options re a life in America and if such offer would have come up, why not. Perhaps she wouldnt have ended up as leading character but an appearance of some kind, why not?

Had she done it more people would have seen her in the socialite/actress/publicity seeker role than as the princess of hearts/wronged woman/victim role she tried to portray herself in.

Diana also gave consideration to moving to Australia for a while, though the distance between here and Europe was not at all agreeable. Especially when her two boys would remain in Britain (natually).

I think we would have heard a lot more about this if she was really considering taking on a speaking role in this movie. When I first heard about it, what flashed through my mind was a possible cameo appearance similar to the one Beatrice did in "Young Victoria". Mostly something done for the fun of it. :D

I believe even Diana had still a bit of a grip on what was fanatsy and what was real life. She would have never starred in a film, not as herself and not as a fictional character. For her the world was a stage but one on which she preferred to be herself (as leading character). So she certainly did not want to diminish her standing by becoming an actress professionally.

And she definitely would have been at the mercy of the press who would be voracious in following her new public role from princess to actress. As an actress, her life would really be an open door. Whether or not that's what she truly wanted, we'll never know. But, again, I never believed that report when I first heard it years ago.

Last edited:
The key word is talked. The Princess and Kevin Costner talked about the sequel. He never said she was going to do it. Personally I doubt she would've done it.

The key word is talked. The Princess and Kevin Costner talked about the sequel. He never said she was going to do it. Personally I doubt she would've done it.

Hi sirhon, I agree. I read in one of mine Diana, Princess of Wales' books that the princess told Kevin Costner no to the role, but she was flattered. Diana wanted to film documentaries and not be an actor. I still wonder if Diana got over staying silent in a talking part for a school play that she was in?

Had she done it more people would have seen her in the socialite/actress/publicity seeker role than as the princess of hearts/wronged woman/victim role she tried to portray herself in.

I agree with you, if she would have done this (if the whole thing is true) it would have been a totally wrong choice!

I wouldn't put ANYTHING past that woman...

I wouldn't put ANYTHING past that woman...

I don't know if it's true because it's much easier to blame the dead for many things but then again, it was during the time where Diana and Charles was going through a very tough and hurtful time.

I believe the story. The time from the early 90s until her divorce is when she started "spilling the beans" to devastating effect. If there hadn't been a "gag clause" in the divorce, goodness only knows what else could have come out.:ermm:

Ok, so what is this phone book then - am I to understand that it was a directory or list of telephone numbers for staff and/or members of the royal family? I wish they'd give more details!!
Nonetheless, if Diana did do this, I think had she lived, it would be something she would have regretted doing by now.

Diana did admit that she regretted some of the things she did during those very hard times. Its no excuse but things really did get ugly at some point.

As The Queen said, there were good times and there were difficult times but a lot of it has mellowed with the passing of the years.

:previous:

Hardly surprising ...
It 's not difficult to imagine how nasty was the "War of he Wales".
Utterly sad.

It was nasty at the time. Also, Charles's senior valet, Kenneth Stronach, provided Clive Goodman with two telephone directories too. It wasn't just Diana doing some dirty work.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the article, it seems as though the information was already available, but it was organized in a way that showed that Charles had more staff than Diana--which shouldn't have been surprising. There is nothing that indicates Diana knew that the News of the World was hacking into voice mails-- and I don't believe she would have helped them do that, no matter how bad things got between Diana and Charles. If nothing else, she knew that things like that would have been a two edged sword.

Unfortunately, she did have a vindictive streak a mile wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom