The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I expect that it's because of the freedom of expression in democracies that people do things like this. It might be distasteful, but the best way to protest is to not buy the t-shirt or pay attention to it.

As for respect for the dead, there's respect for "ordinary" dead people or dead people known to ones-self, but dead celebrities are fair game...unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Has the society from the stable democratic democracies and monarchies got any respect for the dead?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post

I still maintain she was genuinely compassionate at times, though.
I agree with you. She was genuinely compassionate at times. It's only that we don't know how long this benevolent feeling lasted and if she changed her opinion once real labour was getting involved.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
It's a little too much but the designers of this shirt still express what most people think about the media attention on her death. Although they seemed to be all okay with this "propaganda" 10 years ago, it's starting to bother some and I understand that.
As for the bad taste of this T-shirt, I've found worse : sb photo lady diana + mercedes mauvais gout
Well, never before had a Mercedes stand so many tests after an accident and came out quite victoriously, IIRC. If it hadn't been for pillars in the Alma underpass instead of a closed wall, the passengers would have probably survived, even without wearing seat belts. So, well, for Mercedes the Diana-inquest surely was a positive testimonial of the quality of their cars.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Has the society from the stable democratic democracies and monarchies got any respect for the dead?
I believe every society has rules how to deal with their dead. Rules poured into laws and rules that are followed out of the acceptance of their necessity. But death in the Western World does not put a limit to the freedom of speech and the freedom of art and is definately no taboo in these fields. There may be discussions about taste but it's no breach of the law to create such a t-shirt.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Cost of Diana probes passes £12.5m

Cost of Diana probes passes £12.5m - Yahoo! News UK

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that a person would have to have genuine compassion to put ones-self through the trauma of seeing that young girl in the hospital in Angola. She passed away shortly after seeing the Princess IIRC. I remember Diana actually pushing the camera away at that point.
Poor child, having to endure a stranger and her entourage in her dying moments!
I wonder if anyone asked her who she wanted there and if they did, I'll bet she didn't say Diana!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
As for respect for the dead, there's respect for "ordinary" dead people or dead people known to ones-self, but dead celebrities are fair game...unfortunately.
It's too late once someone is dead to worry about being respectful, they haven't suddenly led blame free perfect lives just because they have died!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Poor child, having to endure a stranger and her entourage in her dying moments!
I wonder if anyone asked her who she wanted there and if they did, I'll bet she didn't say Diana!
She probably didn't know who Diana was. But even people who don't like her have said what a compassionate person she was, so it's possible that having her around was helpful to the child.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
She probably didn't know who Diana was. But even people who don't like her have said what a compassionate person she was, so it's possible that having her around was helpful to the child.
Yes. Even I have to say that in that particular case Diana may have made a real difference to the little girl's last hours. I'm sure Diana was touched and was very sweet to the girl. She seems to have instinctively known how to make sick people feel special and comfort them, and that is a rare quality.

Was this the little girl who later asked "Was she an angel"?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Yes. Even I have to say that in that particular case Diana may have made a real difference to the little girl's last hours. I'm sure Diana was touched and was very sweet to the girl. She seems to have instinctively known how to make sick people feel special and comfort them, and that is a rare quality.

Was this the little girl who later asked "Was she an angel"?
Yes she asked someone if Diana was an angel. I heard that from the TLC Documentary Diana: Story of a Princess.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

No, and I wasn't suggesting that anyone who dies is beyond criticism. I've generally found, though, that people do tend to be more respectful about someone once the person died, at least in my experience. I just think that the t-shirt is in bad taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It's too late once someone is dead to worry about being respectful, they haven't suddenly led blame free perfect lives just because they have died!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

A little aftermath from the Inquest hope it's ok to post here I didn't want to bump the Inquest topics. Feel free to delete my post or move it or whatever you'd like.

Princess Diana Remembered : Poll suggests Diana inquest was waste of money
(Even on other royal boards people still believe it was murder)

Princess Diana Remembered : Diana's death no accident: psychic medium claims foreknowledge of 1997 car crash that killed princess

(This one creeped me out because oddly enough my moms friend died of cancer and her husband went to see a psychic for fun and she somehow knew his wife had died of cancer and she had no prior knowledge about his past, although I don't beleive this story it still freaked me out for some reason.)

Princess Diana Remembered : Diana death crash driver's mum tells Scots pal of heartbreak

(I know the last one isn't really about Diana but I thought it was an intresting read so I thought I'd post it)
Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 AM
Heir Apparent

What a weird collection... But thank you for posting it.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Your welcome those were the only "new" articles I could find that haven't already been somehow somewhere been posted in this forum. I know they're kinda weird and random but I found them all intresting in some way.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Royal Highness

The late princess ranks high in a new poll commissioned by Sky TV in which British people of all ages have been asked to name their heroes.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posts about the latest must-have potboiler "Princess Diana - Murder in Paris" have been moved to a new thread in the Royal Library.

To whet members' appetites, here is some of the blurb. You have been warned!

The findings of the discredited Paget Report and the quasi-inquest at the 'Royal' Courts of Justice are shredded...
damning investigation... murder of the People's Princess... devastating...
leaves a ticking time bomb...
The full and unedited truth can now be told by the author who was banned from the inquest on the instructions of the British Establishment.

Conspiracy!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke of Edinburgh sympathised with Princess of Wales over divorce
Duke of Edinburgh sympathised with Princess of Wales over divorce - Telegraph
Old 05-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

Kevin Spacey opts out of Princess Diana death film

Kevin Spacey opts out of Princess Diana death film - Telegraph
Old 05-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Mr. Spacey appears to have some good sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
Kevin Spacey opts out of Princess Diana death film

Kevin Spacey opts out of Princess Diana death film - Telegraph
Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana spoke to rescuers before she died
Princess Diana spoke to rescuers before she died

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana