The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I haven't seen it, but recently found some photos on the web, and I think it was a very strange thing to build as a memorial to Diana. Not much thought seems to have gone into practical and safety issues. Diana would be horrified to know people have been hurt using it.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
The idea was to allow people to wade in the fountain, not washing their feet.

Remembering Diana as she was she may have allowed a 'little feet washing' in her fountain to cool those souls who may need cooling, unless it's used for actual washing with soap. I don't remember her to be a selfish lady who objected to a lot of things. In fact, perhaps to honour her even more is to add and foot washer help tired, dirty or achy feet.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
the temple at Althorp but not plans have temple at fountain no! many people would understood Diana will buried at temple in Althorp but Diana's family cant gives temples or Prince William not allowed gives his mother's temple to the fountain need to more respect by Prince William and 9th Earl Charles Spencer for Princess Diana.

Sara Boyce
Sara, sorry but I can't understand what you are trying to say. Can anyone help me out here?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Some of these fountains have been very successful as play areas for children, and I'm sure that with the warm weather that seems to be becoming the norm in summer in England this fountain ought to have been a real blessing. It's a shame that the design appears not have lived up to the intention.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Some of these fountains have been very successful as play areas for children, and I'm sure that with the warm weather that seems to be becoming the norm in summer in England this fountain ought to have been a real blessing. It's a shame that the design appears not have lived up to the intention.
That's my thought, too. The concept behind the fountain is a lovely one-it's the design that disappoints.

Perhaps, it would look better if it wasn't so bare. One idea might be to place some sort of woodland garden in the circular area the fountain surrounds. Trees, benches, flowers, etc. That might enhance the fountain.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I haven't seen it, but recently found some photos on the web, and I think it was a very strange thing to build as a memorial to Diana. Not much thought seems to have gone into practical and safety issues. Diana would be horrified to know people have been hurt using it.
You are right--seemed to me a lot of thought, supposedly, went into intellectualizing the whole thing, as in, the fountain's loop represented the fluency of diana's character, or nonsense of some sort, as explained by the haughty designer of the thing. All this intelectual justifying, but not one thought about whether people will actually like to look at the thing let alone how to use it

Diana would have been appalled indeed
Old 08-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Aristocracy

I had the pleasure of being there for the opening.

I had expected it to be hideous and found that in person, it was quite nice. :)
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

How well has Diana been served by her sister?

How well has Diana been served by her sister? | the Daily Mail
Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM

It's sad to see the Diana Fund destroyed by its own lack of strong presence, strong leadership, and strong unity. It's splintered and weak. Truly, what it needs is Diana herself. For all the good intentions, the Fund simply cannot ever replace Diana. Maybe the payoff idea from Diana's mum was the ticket after all.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
It's sad to see the Diana Fund destroyed by its own lack of strong presence, strong leadership, and strong unity. It's splintered and weak. Truly, what it needs is Diana herself. For all the good intentions, the Fund simply cannot ever replace Diana. Maybe the payoff idea from Diana's mum was the ticket after all.
I certainly think Prince Harry would be the solution to the Diana Fund. He has spoken of intentions to follow in his mother's footsteps and could use a visible "day job" to justify a few of those sunshine holidays.....

He would make a superb spokesperson at his age. He has proved, along with his brother, the ability to creatively memorialize his mother with the concert. He has great presence.

I would hope Lady Sarah would feel confident to pass the torch, so to speak, to Prince Harry and re-focus on her own family. Wasn't her daughter very ill?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

When the time comes I hope Lady Sarah will pass the torch to Harry now that he is older.
I agree with sassie a woodland garden in the circular area the fountain with flowers, trees and benches would be nice.

I found these photos of the fountain.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martin-...7605243715751/
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
When the time comes I hope Lady Sarah will pass the torch to Harry now that he is older.
I agree with sassie a woodland garden in the circular area the fountain with flowers, trees and benches would be nice.

I found these photos of the fountain.
Princess Diana Memorial Fountain - a set on Flickr

I wonder if a statue done in a style that compliments the fountain could also be in the middle with the woodland garden?

Diana, Princess of Wales loved water. Does the fountain have any more problems?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would have preferred a statue or even a "real" fountain. I don´t think that Diana would have been pleased with what turned out to be a safety hazard.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I wonder if a statue done in a style that compliments the fountain could also be in the middle with the woodland garden?

Diana, Princess of Wales loved water. Does the fountain have any more problems?
Well I haven't heard of any problems recently. I watched some videos of the fountain on youtube and its quite but bare and lacks grandeur. A woodland garden might enhance the beauty of the fountain.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Nobility

Yes, the fountain does seem to lack (imo) some landscaping. Diana was all about flowers to me and it is sort of sad not to see her memorialized with such.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Royal Highness

Thinking about the fountain with landcaping. I would like to see a statue of Diana, Princess of Wales there too.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I would have preferred a statue or even a "real" fountain. I don´t think that Diana would have been pleased with what turned out to be a safety hazard.
I like the fountain, but agree it is really plain. When I saw it I was like "this is it?!" I don't know.. would Diana have liked it? Plain and simple? It is nice for a summer day, but is it really respectful if you put up a fountain for a memorial and people are allowed to walk around in it?! It's like the World War II memorial on the mall in D.C. (USA). You're not even allowed to throw change in it as a respect towards the monument. I don't know if they will ever make a statue of Diana. They already have Albert and Victoria in Kensington Park so.. couldn't they do something more modern? I think statues/shrines are for Monarchy.. makes me think of something they did in the "olden" days.. like can you see them making statues of Queen Elizabeth? I'd rather see paintings, colour...
Old 10-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

A woodlawn garden would look great in the center of the fountain.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

My guess is that there won't be a Diana statue, partly as a response to economic hard times and the thought that money might be better spent on needs. And I think the time has passed when a statue might have been regarded as a "must."
Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Are there any statues in the UK erected in memory of a Princess? I thought that royal statues were of kings and queens?

Tags
diana princess of wales, memorial, memorial fountain, princess diana