The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

i got add news on cnn!

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/world/europe/0...rial/index.html

we have votes polls and pictures gallery there also include!

Sara Boyce

Old 07-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Gentry

Thanks for all the links,guys!

Old 07-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Royal Highness

I heard the meorial ran dry (of water) already !!????

they blamed it on blocking leaves ... ha , that only happens in the fall.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:23 AM
Courtier

The new Memorial Fountain guidelines

The ground around the memorial will be marked out by temporary fencing.

The memorial will be closed overnight, with August opening times of 9am to 8pm. From November until February the memorial will open at 10am and close at 4pm.

Visitors will be able to paddle their feet and dabble their hands in the water of the fountain - but will be told not to walk or run through the water.

There will be six staff "supervising" the site in summer and three in winter. They will be trained in first aid and crowd management.

Signs will ask the public "to respect the fact that this is a memorial to Diana, Princess of Wales".

Dogs - apart from guide dogs - will be prohibited from the area, as will ball games.

Glassware will not be allowed and visitors will be expressly warned not to drop litter or food into the cascades.

Parents will be asked to "actively supervise" their children.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Courtier

Fountain re-opens

London's Diana fountain to re-open, but with restrictions

LONDON (AFP) - An ill-fated new fountain in London commemorating Princess Diana is to re-open, but visitors will now not be allowed to splash around inside it for safety reasons, officials said.

The shallow oval channel filled with running water in the capital's Hyde Park closed last month after three people, one a child, slipped and injured themselves while cooling off in the summer heat.

Royal Parks, which manages Hyde Park and other green spaces around London, announced that the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain would officially re-open on August 20.

However wardens will restrict access to prevent it getting too crowded. An area around the fountain will be fenced off with visitors needing to enter via a gate.

They will then be able to paddle their feet or hands in the water, but will not be allowed to walk through the fountain or splash about, Royal Parks said.

The restriction is somewhat contrary to the original intention of the huge fountain, around 200 metres (660 feet) in circumference, designed by US architect Kathryn Gustafson as both a monument and a play area for children.

However it has been plagued with problems since being opened on July 6, with drains becoming blocked by leaves before the granite surface was found to be perilously slippy.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Serene Highness

A Reconciliation?

I saw a photo in a British magazine at the opening of the Diana Memorial. The Queen and Diana's brother seemed to be having a pleasant, smiling chat. And the article with it said the rift had healed and all was forgiven. Is this true or simply a good face put on for the occasion? Also, did Charles attend? I didn't see him or see him mentioned.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, Charles was there

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/386686...uk/3866863.stm

As far as the rift is concerned, my suspicion is that the pleasantries probably weren't much more than skin deep, but that could just be my native cynicism showing. I'm sure everybody's doing their best for the sake of William and Harry, but there do seem to have been some rather wounding things said on both sides at the time of Diana's death and shortly thereafter, and I don't suppose anybody's forgotten.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Aristocracy

LONDON - JULY 6: (NO UK SALES FOR 28 DAYS) (L-R) Lady Sarah McCorquodale, Lady Jane Fellowes, Earl Spencer, HM Queen Elizabeth II, the Duke of Edinburgh, HRH Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry attend the opening of a fountain built in memory of Diana, Princess of Wales on July 6, 2004 in Hyde Park, London. Gustafson Porter was chosen as the design team for the GBP3 million oval-shaped fountain, which is the size of a football pitch, with one side a gentle slope and the other a cascading stream, flowing together into a tranquil pool. (Photo by Getty Images)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tryrtyrtyr.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	39847  
Old 09-19-2004, 04:26 AM
Courtier

Red face Dianas fountain

I think the memorial of diana should have been a temple for people to come a pray as she really cared about the people out there and really made a difference
Old 09-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Courtier

Well, that kind of idea already exsist on Althorp....
Old 09-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

the temple at Althorp but not plans have temple at fountain no! many people would understood Diana will buried at temple in Althorp but Diana's family cant gives temples or Prince William not allowed gives his mother's temple to the fountain need to more respect by Prince William and 9th Earl Charles Spencer for Princess Diana.

Sara Boyce
Old 09-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Courtier

thats for the info on the temple i didnt know about that...
Old 09-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
the temple at Althorp but not plans have temple at fountain no! many people would understood Diana will buried at temple in Althorp but Diana's family cant gives temples or Prince William not allowed gives his mother's temple to the fountain need to more respect by Prince William and 9th Earl Charles Spencer for Princess Diana.

Sara Boyce

Please explain
Old 09-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Nobility

I personally think they should rename Hyde Park Princess Diana Memorial Park and spruce it up a bit. I'm getting tired of all this crap about safety concerns over something that looks like a storm drain.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennyllorac
Please explain
you ask me?

many people wanted temple at fountain but her brother wouldnt allowed to give temple at fountain but the temple at Althorp where Diana was buried sites but Prince William wanted gives respect to his mother's dead but William will easy more upset about took temple of his mother's

Sara Boyce
Old 05-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Nobility

Is this fountain working now or is it just sitting there
Old 05-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

It reopened about a year ago after some upgrades, but I don't know if it's still open or has run into more problems.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Commoner

Princess Diana needs Memorial Sculpture

One of my favorite sculptures is at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. It is Princess Charlotte's Memorial. Located in Urswick's Chantry, it was sculpted by Matthew Wyatt. She died in childbirth at age 21 and was much beloved as Princess Diana and the information states that only Princess Diana's death since Princess Charlotte's showed such extreme grief. This is a very moving sculpture depicting the rising of Charlotte's soul from her covered body. An angel cradles the body of her stillborn infant. There are other covered figures in mourning around the body. When standing before it, you can feel the grief for this young woman. It is a beautiful monument. The people need a poignant sculpture like this for Princess Diana. She deserves to be commemorated by something better than a fountain that people wash their feet in.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRoyal
She deserves to be commemorated by something better than a fountain that people wash their feet in.
The idea was to allow people to wade in the fountain, not washing their feet.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Commoner

Wade or Wash - Princess Diana still deserves better

To wade or to wash - it does not measure up to what Princess Diana deserves for the contributions she made to the world and the love we all felt for her.

Tags
diana princess of wales, memorial, memorial fountain, princess diana