The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Royal Highness

while i do believe that Mr. Al Fayed has dragged this well past the "best before date"...i've also considered this: if it was your child, wouldn't you do EVERYYTHING in your power to convict the person you felt was responsible for the death of your child? now i'm not saying that i agree with him but if you felt, to the very core of your being, that someone had been involved or directly responsible for the death of your child, you would do the same thing. i know i would. even though we all feel he's wrong, he's still doing what a lot of parents would do.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
while i do believe that Mr. Al Fayed has dragged this well past the "best before date"...i've also considered this: if it was your child, wouldn't you do EVERYYTHING in your power to convict the person you felt was responsible for the death of your child? now i'm not saying that i agree with him but if you felt, to the very core of your being, that someone had been involved or directly responsible for the death of your child, you would do the same thing. i know i would. even though we all feel he's wrong, he's still doing what a lot of parents would do.
Yes I would! However, I think initially it was a way for him to divert attention from the fact that they died on his watch. After all these years of spouting the same stuff he may have convinced himself of its truth but I truly believe in the beginning it was a diversion from his own culpability that eventually took on a life of its own.

Cat

Old 04-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

yes i certainly understand your point. we also need to remember that dodi and diana are also responsible. he had no experience dealing with the media and she had the good common sense to wear a seatbelt but chose not to.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I can so see Mr. Fayed changing his story again and he has so many times in court. He won't stop,nor will the conspiracy theorists I'm afraid. But I feel this inquest was well done, you can tell this is no cover up and for me I feel this should mark the end of the Diana saga but unfortunately it won't.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
if it was your child, wouldn't you do EVERYYTHING in your power to convict the person you felt was responsible for the death of your child? now i'm not saying that i agree with him but if you felt, to the very core of your being, that someone had been involved or directly responsible for the death of your child, you would do the same thing. i know i would. even though we all feel he's wrong, he's still doing what a lot of parents would do.
I think the majority of parents would look at the majority of facts and try to come to terms with the loss, rather than see innocent parties blamed and their names tainted.

IMO, because he was trying to use his son to further his own ambitions, three people lost their lives, (something he could not have forseen) and that is why he needs to put the blame elsewhere, if he accepts that it was his machinations that at least indirectly caused the accident, well, that would be unbearable.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
IMO, because he was trying to use his son to further his own ambitions, three people lost their lives, (something he could not have forseen) and that is why he needs to put the blame elsewhere, if he accepts that it was his machinations that at least indirectly caused the accident, well, that would be unbearable.
This is merely what you think.

What evidence do you have to support your contention that these unfortunate and tragic deaths, which have occasioned such turmoil, were the fault of Fayed's ambition? You do say that 'he cost three people their lives...'.

Has the Inquest jury announced its verdict already?

As well, if you've never lost a child, I doubt that you'd have even the remotest conception, whatsoever, of what a grieving parent might or might not do.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
This is merely what you think.
As I clearly stated
Quote:
What evidence do you have to support your contention that these unfortunate and tragic deaths, which have occasioned such turmoil, were the fault of Fayed's ambition? You do say that 'he cost three people their lives...'.

Has the Inquest jury announced its verdict already? As well, if you've never lost a child, I doubt that you'd have even the remotest conception, whatsoever, of what a grieving parent might or might not do
If you look at the beginning of my post, it clearly says - I think - short of putting IMO after every sentence, I can't really see how anyone could read that it was the opinion of the jury, when that verdict is announced, it really will be breaking news with the headlines to back it up!.

As you might have seen from past posts, I can unfortunately claim the distinction of knowing about it, so I don't need to worry about a remote conception!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Courtier

With all due respect, your post said 'I think' when alluding to the death of a child. I can respect and understand that.

Nonetheless, you offered no qualification at all towards your bald statement that Fayed 'cost three people their lives'.

In the absence of a jury's verdict, I question the propriety of such an assertion.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Has the Inquest jury announced its verdict already?

As well, if you've never lost a child, I doubt that you'd have even the remotest conception, whatsoever, of what a grieving parent might or might not do.
Since when do we need to follow a jury's verdict when the info is out in the open and we base our opinion on it?

And even though I haven't yet lost my child and hope I'll never will, I still can have the opinion that what Fayed does is not okay - him being a grieving parent or not. It's not that grieving people don't have rules to follow and it's not that anybody has to accord grieving parents a kind of fool's freedom or jester's license. It's a fact that a quite convincing evidence at the inquest points at the fact that Henri Paul was employed by the Ritz, had a couple of drinks at the Ritz and then he went out driving a car and getting into an accident that killed him and two of the passengers.

In addition we learned quite a bit about how the structures of command were at the Ritz during that fateful night, so saying that Fayed's ambition cost three people their life is nothing unfounded, an interpretation, an opinion, of course, but based on evidence presented during the inquest.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Nonetheless, you offered no qualification at all towards your bald statement that Fayed 'cost three people their lives'.

In the absence of a jury's verdict, I question the propriety of such an assertion.
Many people who have posted their 'verdict' on the thread have done so based on their own opinions and without the benefit of any 'I think' or 'IMO' in their posts, however.....

Fayed was and is well known throughout the UK for his desire to be part of the UK aristocracy, his quest for a British passport is, IMO, well documented. His apparent 'need' to be seen as part of the British establishment is also, IMO, well documented in previous links posted on this thread and also, in many news programmes and articles.

The suggestion from his own staff that Dodi was answering to his father with regards to security on the night in question and the speed with which Fayed was willing to blacken Diana's name with his claim she was pregnant to his son after a short courtship, IMO, backs up my claim.

If Fayed had been more concerned with the safety of Dodi and Diana, he would, IMO, have been heard insisting they stay at the hotel, rather than chance the pursuit that was bound to happen, bearing in mind the gathering of photographers outside the hotel.

I believe that he was encouraging Dodi in his relationship with Diana, not from love of his son or admiration of Diana, but as a way into the society, he IMO, desperately wanted to be part of. Had he been less concerned with the, to him, positive publicity Diana was generating for him and more concerned about their safety and privacy, the accident might not have happened. His lack of care, in not providing better security alone would make him responsible. ALL IMO
Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
And even though I haven't yet lost my child and hope I'll never will, I still can have the opinion that what Fayed does is not okay - him being a grieving parent or not. It's not that grieving people don't have rules to follow and it's not that anybody has to accord grieving parents a kind of fool's freedom or jester's license.
I also hope you never will! Everybody grieves in a different way, and yes I would imagine everyone who has lost someone wants the guilty party brought to justice. I say imagine because nobody can know the individual hell that another goes through with the death of a loved one, especially a child. That is the difference between some people, like Fayed and others. In the heat of the moment and the following weeks even months, it is easy to blame one person or another, but to keep up the foundless accusations 10 years on.... even his rant outside the court, where he accused the BBC reporter of working for MI5/6, shows he has very little hold on reality.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
The thread is now closed. A new one was created on the verdict of the Inquest. All the posts about it have been moved to the following thread :

The Verdict of the Diana Inquest

TheTruth
Diana, Princess of Wales Sub-forum moderator.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Closed Thread

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, duke of edinburgh, inquest, mohamed al fayed, prince philip, princess diana