The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

But why wouldn't the verdict be "accidental death"? The car crash was an accident and their deaths were a result of high speed, drunk driving, and not wearing seat-belts.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I hope he'll use use words like "excessive speed", "alcohol" and "not wearing seat-belt", rather than "accident".
I firmly believe it was a tragic accident.

Many people have driven, over the limit at high speed without a seatbelt and not been involved in a crash.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I firmly believe it was a tragic accident.

Many people have driven, over the limit at high speed without a seatbelt and not been involved in a crash.

For the legal instructions on what choices are open to the Jury see:

http://www.scottbaker-inquests.gov.u...ndout_jury.pdf
Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
As has already been stated, there is no warrant out for Burrells arrest, (although I live in hope), therefore no reason for him not to return here. So far there has not even been an investigation into a possible charge of perjury.

Mr Burrell clearly, IMO, lied when giving testimony, especially over the 'secret' note Diana wrote for him that he was unable to reveal.

He was made to look a complete ass and by saying "I was very naughty and I made a couple of red herrings, and I couldn't help doing it", was hoping to keep himself saleable to the Tabloids and especially the US market.

It just went to show his intelligence that he couldn't even use the correct saying!
I suspect we still haven't heard the last from Paul. Along with Al-Fayed, it was Paul going to the media with the "letter" in which Diana wrote about Charles alledgely tampering with her brakes which was another factor for the "need" for the inquest.

Paul has a group of friends and associates that promote his little cottage businesses and skim off their cream off the top. He has agents to handle his speaking enagagements and has made fast friends with some people like Dominic Dunne.

So I don't doubt Paul will write yet another book. He is the keeper to many secrets...not just about Diana, I'm afraid.

I hope the verdict is soon.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
So I don't doubt Paul will write yet another book. He is the keeper to many secrets...not just about Diana, I'm afraid.
While he may like people to believe he is the keeper of secrets, I very much doubt he has very many secrets and even less that he can prove. I have to admit I never liked the ingratiating chuff but with his appearance at the inquest and the video, he really has made a complete ass of himself.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Royal Highness

Accidental death--I still do not completely understand why the rantings of Al-Fayed were even taken seriously. It was tragic that she died so horrifically, it was tragic Dodi died in the same manner. But, let's end this thing. THat being said, is there an end in sight any time soon?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Accidental death--I still do not completely understand why the rantings of Al-Fayed were even taken seriously. It was tragic that she died so horrifically, it was tragic Dodi died in the same manner. But, let's end this thing. THat being said, is there an end in sight any time soon?
No matter what the mess Mr. Al-Fayed finds himself in, he has some sort of pyschological need to be seen with out blemish. This was made clear to me in an article at salon.com when a writer for Vanity Fair set out to write a positive piece on him and ended up digging up all sorts of secrets and plots that could be traced back to his involvement...some major and some minor.

Some of us forget Mr. Al-Fayed was involved in a major scandal prior to the election of May 1997 in England; so he "felt victimized"....and, I am sure some of that victimization led him to invite the Princess on holiday as sort of a way to thumb his nose back at the Establishment.

Having his son and the most famous woman in the world die under his security detail surely put the old man over the edge in many ways...so thus his campaign to vilify the royals (who weren't too happy having their crests hanging over the sign at Harrod's...but that's another cup of tea for another day) by accusing them of an act of double murder(I don't think Al-Fayed cared one bit about Henri Paul).... It's merely a back and forth slug fest and if certain groups can tarnish the Princess' name to make certain others look "better" or make a few quid off Diana's lovelife then all the better...

It's never going to be over with Al-Fayed or Burrell in the picture...I'm afraid.

My hope would be for a verdict which would allow Prince William and Prince Harry to sue Al-Fayed for wrongful death by not providing their mother with adequate security as she was riding in a car hired by the Ritz and driven by a Ritz employee...At least the could recoup some money their agents had to spend to close Diana's estate..and for pain and suffering......
Old 04-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
No matter what the mess Mr. Al-Fayed finds himself in, he has some sort of pyschological need to be seen with out blemish. This was made clear to me in an article at salon.com when a writer for Vanity Fair set out to write a positive piece on him and ended up digging up all sorts of secrets and plots that could be traced back to his involvement...some major and some minor.

Some of us forget Mr. Al-Fayed was involved in a major scandal prior to the election of May 1997 in England; so he "felt victimized"....and, I am sure some of that victimization led him to invite the Princess on holiday as sort of a way to thumb his nose back at the Establishment.

Having his son and the most famous woman in the world die under his security detail surely put the old man over the edge in many ways...so thus his campaign to vilify the royals (who weren't too happy having their crests hanging over the sign at Harrod's...but that's another cup of tea for another day) by accusing them of an act of double murder(I don't think Al-Fayed cared one bit about Henri Paul).... It's merely a back and forth slug fest and if certain groups can tarnish the Princess' name to make certain others look "better" or make a few quid off Diana's lovelife then all the better...

It's never going to be over with Al-Fayed or Burrell in the picture...I'm afraid.

My hope would be for a verdict which would allow Prince William and Prince Harry to sue Al-Fayed for wrongful death by not providing their mother with adequate security as she was riding in a car hired by the Ritz and driven by a Ritz employee...At least the could recoup some money their agents had to spend to close Diana's estate..and for pain and suffering......
Pinkie--you have raised a point I have never even considered--the ability of hte Princes to sue the Ritz--I mean, they could win that easily. The driver was intoxicated, didn't have the proper training for dealing with the paparazzi in this type of situation, etc....Whether they do it or not is another question, but I think they should consider it. Unless the statute of limitations has run out--

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It is a legal requirement for there to be an inquest after an individual's death.

Perhaps if the authorities had had the good sense to do this 10 years ago, we wouldn't be seeing the kind of shambles and farce that this event has turned into.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd be surprised if they sued the Ritz, because that would bring all this back into the public sphere again. All the testimony would have to be gone thru again about Henri Paul and who decided to have him drive, etc., etc. We'd all be doing this:

Quote:
Pinkie--you have raised a point I have never even considered--the ability of hte Princes to sue the Ritz--I mean, they could win that easily. The driver was intoxicated, didn't have the proper training for dealing with the paparazzi in this type of situation, etc....Whether they do it or not is another question, but I think they should consider it. Unless the statute of limitations has run out--
Old 04-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Accidental death--I still do not completely understand why the rantings of Al-Fayed were even taken seriously. It was tragic that she died so horrifically, it was tragic Dodi died in the same manner. But, let's end this thing. That being said, is there an end in sight any time soon?
Under normal circumstances the inquest would have been based on the report from France, but once Fayed and the Di Express started to accuse the Duke and MI6, it was deemed in the best interests of all concerned to hold a full investigation, followed by this very prolonged inquest. If there had been no accusations about the Royal Family, the inquest would have been based solely on the manner of her death, not the months and years leading up to it. I didn't like the woman, but I find it very sad that many of her involvements, faults and neurosis have been aired for all to hear, including her sons.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
It is a legal requirement for there to be an inquest after an individual's death.

Perhaps if the authorities had had the good sense to do this 10 years ago, we wouldn't be seeing the kind of shambles and farce that this event has turned into.
The legal requirement is that an inquest is held for every Briton who dies abroad, but not for every person who dies in the UK.

The inquest here could not start until after the French investigation and all legal matters there had been concluded, which caused a significant delay. The inquest here could not start until after the full investigation of all allegations being leveled against the Duke, Charles etc. Therefore good sense had nothing to do with the delay.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Under normal circumstances the inquest would have been based on the report from France, but once Fayed and the Di Express started to accuse the Duke and MI6, it was deemed in the best interests of all concerned to hold a full investigation, followed by this very prolonged inquest. If there had been no accusations about the Royal Family, the inquest would have been based solely on the manner of her death, not the months and years leading up to it. I didn't like the woman, but I find it very sad that many of her involvements, faults and neurosis have been aired for all to hear, including her sons.
Indeed!
I respected Diana for everything she did but I wasn't keen on her myself. It is too bad that Fayed and crew made it into such a circus. Can they get it behind them now? Or is he going to rear his ugly head up yet again?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith14011 View Post
"During al-Fayed's testimony, he was asked if he was prepared to accept the verdict of the jury. Under oath al-Fayed stated that he would accept whatever the verdict the jury came up with. The Coroner in his summing up made sure he the jury were reminded, he told the jury that Mohammed al-Fayed had stated under oath that he would accept the verdict of the jury."

Yeah, right. Like that's going to happen. He will never believe it was an accident, because that would make him and his dim-witted son responsible for the death of Diana. He will charge "cover up" loudly and incessantly until he dies. And because he is so paranoid, any attempt to quash his rantings will (in his sick mind) be one more indication that Diana and Dodi were murdered, they are trying to silence him, they don't want the truth, etc. etc. etc., ad nauseam.
I agree that al Fayed is unlikely to go quietly but the fact that he on oath has stated that he will accept the ruling of the inquest. (To get him to say yes took the lawyer asking him a number of times, the lawyer was persistent) means that if al Fayed does complain and continue to persue his vendetta then he could also be liable for perjury charges. He lied under oath that he would accept the ruling of the inquest. Legal avenues have now been set up to persue him. That's also why the coroner made a point in his summing up of stating that what al Fayed had said under oath.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
I agree that al Fayed is unlikely to go quietly but the fact that he on oath has stated that he will accept the ruling of the inquest. (To get him to say yes took the lawyer asking him a number of times, the lawyer was persistent) means that if al Fayed does complain and continue to persue his vendetta then he could also be liable for perjury charges. He lied under oath that he would accept the ruling of the inquest. Legal avenues have now been set up to persue him. That's also why the coroner made a point in his summing up of stating that what al Fayed had said under oath.
O, come on. As if that would stop Mo Fayed. He will simply claim to have got another bit of information pointing to murder and say that this changes the situation completely. I only wonder if the media will write about it. Probably yes - and there are so many people out there who don't care one bit about the basics of this case and are too lazy to get more information - they are bound to believe that the whole inquest was in vain because of that one piece of info Fayed will come up with. Believe me.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
For the legal instructions on what choices are open to the Jury see:

http://www.scottbaker-inquests.gov.u...ndout_jury.pdf
Thank you for posting that link, GillW. I believe that the circumstances warrant a finding of unlawful killing due to grossly negligent driving of the Mercedes. There is no doubt Paul owed a duty of care to his passengers, and breached that duty, and I believe his driving was a significant cause of the crash and deaths. I believe his conduct went beyond mere negligence; I believe he drove with reckless indifference to an obvious risk of death to his passengers.

I suspect, however, that the finding will be accidental death.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think the limitation period would have expired years ago. Even if they could sue someone, I doubt they would, partly because the evidence would have to be given all over again before a civil court, and partly because the measure of damages may not be as high as people might think. The mere fact a child's parent is killed in a car accident due to someone else's negligence does not give that child an entitlement to a large chunk of money. There has to be financial dependency and financial loss attributable to the death. It could be argued that Diana's death has actually given William and Harry a financial benefit, since they have inherited a very large amount of money from their mother far earlier than they would otherwise have received it.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The legal requirement is that an inquest is held for every Briton who dies abroad, but not for every person who dies in the UK.

The inquest here could not start until after the French investigation and all legal matters there had been concluded, which caused a significant delay. The inquest here could not start until after the full investigation of all allegations being leveled against the Duke, Charles etc. Therefore good sense had nothing to do with the delay.
IMRIC the French investigation concluded some time ago.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
IMRIC the French investigation concluded some time ago.
The inquest was formally opened in 2004, according to this article printed January 7th, 2004.
Diana's death: Prince Charles may be questioned
Quote:
He added the delay in launching the inquest was the result of an 'extremely lengthy' and detailed French judicial investigation, which was only now drawing to a close. It would have been 'desirable' for the inquests to have been heard and completed long ago, he said
This article also explains why the long delay was necessary. Princess Diana's Inquest Postponed, Originally Scheduled To Begin In May, Hearing Will Now Begin In October - The ShowBuzz

The inquest could begin only after the investigations into the deaths were complete. A two-year French investigation, a three-year Metropolitan Police inquiry in Britain and repeated legal action by al Fayed have delayed the inquest.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think the limitation period would have expired years ago. Even if they could sue someone, I doubt they would, partly because the evidence would have to be given all over again before a civil court, and partly because the measure of damages may not be as high as people might think. The mere fact a child's parent is killed in a car accident due to someone else's negligence does not give that child an entitlement to a large chunk of money. There has to be financial dependency and financial loss attributable to the death. It could be argued that Diana's death has actually given William and Harry a financial benefit, since they have inherited a very large amount of money from their mother far earlier than they would otherwise have received it.
Interesting if Trevor Rees-Jones sues. Would Fayed really dare not to pay in case the verdict is against him? Just think how the media would slam him for not taking responsibility.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Closed Thread

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, duke of edinburgh, inquest, mohamed al fayed, prince philip, princess diana