The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I realized something one of the statements read out yesterday were brand new literally just given days ago. I didn't recognize the name from Operation Pagat so I checked out the day of the statement and I realized it's brand new hmm intresting and after all these years they finally decided to file a statement.

I found an article on it here it is:
Princess Diana Remembered : Dodi had planned to make 'very important' announcement two days after fatal Diana crash

Inquest witnesses end next week

Princess Diana Remembered : Testimony in Princess Diana death inquest to end next week

Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
My question of the day:
(I know I ask alot of questions)
I still don't understand what Dodi was planning to tell all these people he apparently phoned on the 29th. What would the surprise be besides an engagement...I can't picture it as being anything else just based on how they all describe it.. I don't know I just somehow can't see her wanting to be re-married as it's been stated before so I just don't see how Dodi could have possibly considered it at that point, unless it was under daddy's order.
It could have been that Diana had agreed to help him and his father with a charitable foundation or even appear in one of his films. If it is true that he spoke to a friend and said he had something important to tell her, it might not have had anything to do with Diana at all!

If he was planning to ask Diana to marry him, there is no guarantee that she would have said yes. She would have wanted to speak to the boys first and see how they felt before shouting to the press, it would also have been something she would have to discuss with HM before announcing, which is one of the reasons, I doubt an engagement had anything to do with Diana's 'watch me' to the press.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Majesty

We've been so imbued with Fayed's "engagement" stories for so long that it's the first thing we think of, even if we don't really believe it!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
We've been so imbued with Fayed's "engagement" stories for so long that it's the first thing we think of, even if we don't really believe it!
And I think that's what happened to Barbara Broccoli as well, if her statement is true at all. Could be that she needs a bit of Fayed's money for a new project...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Nobility

Everyone except Mo Fayed has said they assumed the couple planned to announce their engagement. Perhaps the only one who is not afraid of a perjury charge is Mo? He does have the money to fight such a charge, after all. I wonder if the phone records were checked regarding these phone calls? At any rate, assuming something doesn't make it so, (I do it all the time with very bad results) and I'm sure the jury will weigh in the fact that no one except Mo actually said Dodi or Diana told them they were engaged. Since the ring was supposedly discovered in Dodi's apartment and not on Diana's finger, I seriously doubt Dodi had even proposed. And I doubt he would have given her that awful, gaudy ring as an engagement ring unless he had even less taste than his father (which is possible but one would hope not).

While Diana could be flighty, it is doubtful she would have entertained the idea of marrying a man she had known such a short time. She knew very well her position as the mother of the future King came with a lot of responsibility and she would never take that lightly. She may have taunted the press with her "watch what I do next" remark, but I think that was merely her way of keeping the spotlight on her, I doubt it was indicative of any future plans with Dodi.

I am delighted the testimony will end this week, it seems this inquest has been going on forever! I know it may be weeks after that before we hear from the jury as they have a ton of testimony to wade through and ponder, still the end is near!

Cat
Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
still the end is near!

Cat
Please tell me you were touching wood when you wrote that! We may then have to wait for a few more years while Fayed appeals the verdict a few times!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Princess Diana Inquest Set To Hear From Final Witnesses - The Daily Record

Quote:
Quote : The 11-person jury has sat through the evidence of more than 240 witnesses both live and in statement form
240 witnesses to hear in approx. 180 days when you're only 11 =

Now, don't tell me these guys didn't do their job .

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana planned Bond set visit on day after she died
Princess Diana planned Bond set visit on day after she died - International Herald Tribune
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Please tell me you were touching wood when you wrote that! We may then have to wait for a few more years while Fayed appeals the verdict a few times!
Bite your tongue! Chew it out of your head even! My feet were propped on an ottoman with wooden legs -- does that count?

I know Fayed is likely to appeal the verdict if he doesn't like it, but it is unlikely to be overturned and I doubt (knock on wood) a new inquest will be ordered by any court on appeal. Once the verdict is rendered the 11 jurors can return to their normal lives and the rest of us can discuss other things - like what's for dinner.

Cat
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

You guys are so right even with me it's been so implanted into our brains about the engagement that's the first thing we all think of...it's terrible really. And my god poor jury I'd be soo confused if I was them.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Nobility

At most, I believe Diana and Dodi were probably going to move into together in Malibu..... Paul knows what were Diana's intentions, will he ever tell? Will he ever come back to UK?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
At most, I believe Diana and Dodi were probably going to move into together in Malibu..... Paul knows what were Diana's intentions, will he ever tell? Will he ever come back to UK?
I don't think Diana told him everything, even though he likes to give the impression that she did. He was probably in yet another compartment.

Even moving in together in Malibu would probably have involved discussions with the children and HM, before any announcement.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Even moving in together in Malibu would probably have involved discussions with the children and HM, before any announcement.
I still believe the announcement had something to do with the Diana Hospices that Fayed planned to finance. I can imagine that Fayed is not interested in telling if in fact that was what the announcement would be about. Because he prefers the engagement idea and he did not spend any money as promised after Diana was dead and does not plan to.

As for the visit on the Bond-set: at that time Bond was probably the biggest movie project of the Uk. Dodi was still trying to impress Diana and probably working on convincing her to move with him to Malibu. I guess taking her to the Bond-set was some sort of dangling the carrot "Malibu = Hollywood" in front of her nose. In order to interest Barbara Broccoli (she on shooting a film surely is selective with her appointments) Dodi made her curious and was dangling the carrot "Diana - announcement at your set - publicity!" in front of her nose.

All other explanations sound unbelievable considering that Diana did not talk to her children and the queen about any real change. I even recall having read somewhere that William was very upset because of the Dodi-story and called her - a call which ended in a fight and Diana did not take any phone calls from William before she died. Okay, I don't know how reliable that is, but it would fit Diana's character as far as I understand it from the various statements at the inquest. Poor William if it is true.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think it's true she loved her children too much to turn them away.

As it was said earlier if the Princess wanted to marry Dodi, she would have discussed the subject with the queen and the boys.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Nobility

I doubt Diana refused to take any calls from William at any time. Whatever else she may or may not have been or done, Diana always put her children first. She was a devoted mother to her two boys. That is one reason I find the engagement story so unbelievable. She would never have done anything of the sort without first talking to her sons. And giving them only a day or two to absorb such a massive change in their lives before the press feeding frenzy began simply doesn't wash.

Cat
Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Again it all comes back to her children. I think the fling with Dodi had pretty much run its course by Paris. She simply needed something to fill her time while William and Harry were at Balmoral and Dodi was tapped. If her sister's testimony is to be believed, Diana couldn't talk to Dodi about the campaign to ban land mines and the press she was getting for that. I believe when Sarah suggested Diana talk to Dodi about it Diana's response was something along the lines of -- Fat lot of good that would do. If she didn't feel she could talk to him about the most basic of things I doubt she would have agreed to live with him in Malibu, much less marry him. Of course, Mo Fayed has probably put Sarah's testimony down as "baloney stuff".

And Paul probably had no idea what Diana was doing, she never told one person everything. It's pretty certain
Diana had him comparmentalized as well regarding what she did and did not want him to know.

Cat
Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post

And Paul probably had no idea what Diana was doing, she never told one person everything. It's pretty certain
Diana had him comparmentalized as well regarding what she did and did not want him to know.

Cat
Hm.., I think Paul knew at least about the plans for South Africa and Malibu, it sounds pretty believable what he told. From Dr. Khan's statement we know that Diana in fact checked South Africa as a possibility for them to move to and even went there to see if she could live there. She then decided it was not going to work.

As for Malibu: as I said before I believe Dodi dangled Hollywood in front of Diana and she considered it. She obviously had these brochures about the house Fayed had acquired for Dodi (and Kelly Fisher) and I wouldn't wonder if she planned to check Malibu out. Not necessarily with Dodi, but as a starting point for a move to the US. There was this American millionaire she had in petto as well, remember? Theodore Frost or Forst or something like that?

She must have realised if Dr. Khan is to be believed that she needed a wealthy husband, one who would pay a high price for the daughter of an earl, former future queen and mother of a future king. I believe she was not yet sure what to make of these thoughts, otherwise she wouldn't have told Rosa Monckton that Dr. Khan had deserted her, not vice versa. But I think that was where she was headed. And thus she asked Burrell if he would come with her in case she moved abroad. She knew that her sons would be grown-up men soon and then would not need her so much. As grown-ups they could in addition travel to visit her, no matter where she lived. She was used to having her sons only for visits and holidays, so that wouldn't change so much. Well, that's what I think she was looking forward to, but not a marriage to the first rich man who might offer for her. Especially as she, better than others, must have realised what it meant to be married to the heir, not the souverain.... And Dodi was just the son, not the patriarch ot hte Fayeds.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Nobility

Harry was still quite young - just 12 or 13 when she died. And I don't think Diana would have married Dodi for his money or his high profile as she had received a quite hefty divorce settlement and she had a much higher profile than he did any way. I think with Dr. Kahn Diana knew the fantasy could never become reality no matter how much they loved each other. And while I by no means wish to call the good doctor a liar, I wonder if perhaps he tempered the truth just a bit when he stated it was Diana who ended things after she began seeing Dodi. Others have stated Diana began seeing Dodi after things ended with Hasnat Kahn. Over the course of 10 years he might have convinced himself this was the case or he may have decided to spare Diana's memory the insult of having been dumped by him. Alas, as with many things, we will never know.

As for Paul Burrell, he is just so much hot air, IMO. I don't think he had a clue what Diana was going to do, mainly because Diana didn't have any idea herself. She may have told him of her dreams of leaving England and leading a "normal" life, but that doesn't mean she believed it was going to happen, at least not for several years. And Diana new her life was never going to be normal. Any chance of leading a normal life died upon her walk down the aisle to marry Prince Charles.

Diana may have moved abroad once Harry had reached 17 or 18 but not while he was in the throes of adolescence. She may have dreamed of escaping England and the specter of Charles and Camilla but her ties there were too strong. In any case, she would have discussed it with her sons, the Queen and Prince Charles before she did anything, IMO.

Cat
Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Butler 'took ring off Diana's body' - Yahoo! News UK

Would this be his secret ? In these pictures (pic 1,pic 2,pic 3) we can clearly see that she was wearing the ring before and during the crash. Did the forensic doctor mentioned the jewel in his report ?

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I could see this being his secret but anyways it's not the ring everyone claims was supposed to be the engagement ring. Is she wearing it on her marriage hand, with greeks it's on the opposte hand then with everyone else don't ask me why so I could never figure out which hand is the one for us and which is for everyone else that's why I'm asking.

Closed Thread

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, duke of edinburgh, inquest, mohamed al fayed, prince philip, princess diana