The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panicgrl View Post
It makes me sad that the simple act of not wearing a seatbelt is the reason she is no longer on Earth. There are tons of pictures of her wearing them in the past. Why that one night did she not clip it on?

If she was constantly turning back to see the paparazzi or leading forward to dodge their cameras, how could she wear a seat belt.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
We don't know that Trevor Rees-Jones didn't tell her to belt up. He could have. I really think you can only partially blame al Fayed Security. Dodi needs to shoulder the burden, with his indecisiveness. You can't tell the Boss's son what to do..
Exactly. If the Boss's son isn't going to follow the rules set by the security team, you can't say that security was so great.

Obviously, I don't know what factors came together to make this tragedy, but it seems like a "perfect storm" of factors -- enough people made bad decisions for something horrendous to happen.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
We don't know that Trevor Rees-Jones didn't tell her to belt up. He could have. I really think you can only partially blame al Fayed Security. Dodi needs to shoulder the burden, with his indecisiveness. You can't tell the Boss's son what to do..
Trevor Rees-Jones was not employed by, nor for Diana. He worked for MAF and did as he was instructed. If you read Trevor's book you get the picture clearly that whatever the thoughts of the bodyguards, they had to obey instructions and no way would it have been allowed nor tolerated for them to give instructions to their "principal" - in this case Dodi. They did what MAF told them to do (- as did Dodi) and it was not up to any of them to instruct him and Diana in what to do nor how to do it. Although they might protest and offer alternative suggestions, the bottom line was that they did what they were told to do - and that did not include making anyone do anything, including wear seat belts...

British Royal Protection Squad Officers MAY have some discretion in such matters and I believe it is "understood" that the Royals should take advice from them, but this was not that scenario - this was private protection and they were employed to protect Dodi - Diana just happened to be his guest.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It's only because of Al Fayed's continued insistence that Diana was pregnant (and that the embalming in Paris was part of the conspiracy to "cover it up") that the inquest must go into such personal detail. Very unsavoury, but it's obvious Mr Al Fayed cares nothing about the consequences of his allegations.
I agree. I think Mr. Al Fayed looks idiotic with his continual quest to try and prove something that's not there!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

He seems arrogant and very spiteful I Hope his case is Destroyed
(my opinions are my on and I Honestly do not mean offense)
Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Exactly. If the Boss's son isn't going to follow the rules set by the security team, you can't say that security was so great.

Obviously, I don't know what factors came together to make this tragedy, but it seems like a "perfect storm" of factors -- enough people made bad decisions for something horrendous to happen.

I think you are spot on - it truly was a perfect storm of factors that led to a horrible tragedy.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
It's bizarre if Diana actually took it into her head the idea of Charles marrying Tiggy. I mean, when was the last time a Prince of Wales and Heir Apparent to the Throne married the royal "social secretary"/nanny? I know times change, but do they change that much? And whatever made Diana think Charles had those kind of thoughts about Tiggy? By 1996/97 he had been going strong with Camilla for many years and didn't seem to have apparent plans of changing that. The idea of him hooking up with Tiggy seems rather random and odd, considering the context of everything that was happening, doesn't it?

But back to the topic of this Inquest news, I have a thought about the "last photos" from the car of them all alive. What does Henri Paul look like a triumphant maniac, smiling like he's enjoying driving like that? Dodi cowers in the back no doubt hoping they get to his apt. fast and it'll be over soon. Trevor is blinded by the bright lights from the motorcycle headlights and the camera flashes. But Henri Paul is the strangest person in these pics.... He looks like a kid delighting in a chase.
If the thought of marrying the nanny is bizarre then marrying a divorced woman who was a long time mistress and had been going strong for years even though they were both married to other people ,is as crazy or even crazier then thinking a nanny could marry a royal

As for the picture of henri Paul driving the car, to me it looks like he has been startled by what he sees in front of him which was probably a motor bike within inches of the moving car he is driving. Officials are saying that trevor rees is looking into the rearview mirror so he is not seeing or looking at what henri paul is looking at
Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Her pre-embalmed and pre-blood transfusion blood was tested for pregnancy and came back negative. The coroner pointed that out in his address to the jury. (Sample of Diana's blood were found and taken from the mercedes and these were tested)

As far as her prescriptions for the contraceptive pill are concerned, Paul Burrell has stated that her prescriptions were made out in the name of various female servants.
No pregnancy tests were done so that is the main reason behind the coronor's statement that the pregnancy will probably never be proven or disproven scientifically
Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygoogles View Post
No pregnancy tests were done so that is the main reason behind the coronor's statement that the pregnancy will probably never be proven or disproven scientifically
And honestly I don't think it changes something to the facts. Who could possibly know if she was pregnant ? And if someone knew it and had told it to the MI6 or whatever, this someone would have confessed it already. Anyway, this was a simple accident, pregnant Diana or not : Drunk driver + overspeeding + no seatbelts = very very bad option.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Aristocracy

You're right. I don't think she was preganant. I never thought she would have put herself into a situation like that.
I was just repeating what I had read from the formal inquest that no blood was was ever tested for pregnancy.
One thing I do disagree about is whether henri paul was drunk or not. As Prince harry said a couple of months ago we'll never know what really went on in the tunnel that night
Old 10-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygoogles View Post
You're right. I don't think she was preganant. I never thought she would have put herself into a situation like that.
I was just repeating what I had read from the formal inquest that no blood was was ever tested for pregnancy.
One thing I do disagree about is whether henri paul was drunk or not. As Prince harry said a couple of months ago we'll never know what really went on in the tunnel that night
Yes, of course we agree . In anycase, the image of the wrecked car can't lie and it proves what is absolutely obvious, it was going to fast. The speed killed them. Drunk or not, Henri Paul could have been excited from all the attention the couple was getting that night and wanted to play the "Starsky and Hutch" (on the orders of Dodi or not).

Because it matters...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Aristocracy

It's time to let this woman rest in peace.

Life is for the living, her life is over and done with.

Time for everyone to move on.

Whatever the circumstances that led up to her death, sinister or not, will never be known and able to be verified. She has two sons that need peace and are able to concentrate on a very full life ahead of each. You can only mourn and "wonder" for so long until it negatively affects you emotionally and mentally if not physically as well.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondBrg View Post

Whatever the circumstances that led up to her death, sinister or not, will never be known and able to be verified. She has two sons that need peace and are able to concentrate on a very full life ahead of each. You can only mourn and "wonder" for so long until it negatively affects you emotionally and mentally if not physically as well.
I wish the Princess of Wales would be able to rest in peace but the media and Muhammed Al Fayed are not allowing that to happen.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

... I am surprised to read the above given your categorical views on Princess Diana
Old 10-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
... I am surprised to read the above given your categorical views on Princess Diana
Every human being is very complex and has many different components to their life. I have repeatedly posted that I respected and admired the public good works she did and all the positive that she contributed and that she should be applauded for doing so. Her legacy from those will be timeless.

I also think she was an excellent mother in most respects.

At the same time I hold negative views towards her marriage to Prince Charles and her conduct as a member of the Royal Family.

You seem to be the one who lives in a black or white world, all or nothing. In my view that is impractical.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Every human being is very complex and has many different components to their life. I have repeatedly posted that I respected and admired the public good works she did and all the positive that she contributed and that she should be applauded for doing so. Her legacy from those will be timeless.

I also think she was an excellent mother in most respects.

At the same time I hold negative views towards her marriage to Prince Charles and her conduct as a member of the Royal Family.

You seem to be the one who lives in a black or white world, all or nothing. In my view that is impractical.
Well I agree with you. It's not with a manichaeist vision (not saying that you're like that at all Al bina ) that you will go far in reflection. Like any human being who died, she has the right to rest in peace (whether you like her or not, that's what it is).

Because it matters...
Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana last moments shown in court
BBC NEWS | UK | Diana last moments shown in court
Old 10-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I do agree that Princess Diana should be allowed to rest in peace and should not be vilified with horrendous assumptions about her mental and physical health.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Courtier

What do most of us really mean when we want someone to be allowed to "rest in peace"? Does it mean that comments about the person are allowed, but only if they are complimentary? Does it mean that discussion should truly be put to rest and thoughts and memories about the person be kept private and internal? I tend toward the latter view, but think that if discussion is brought forward then all facets of the person's life should be allowed as topics...good or bad...factual or speculative (as long as that is made clear).
Old 10-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
What do most of us really mean when we want someone to be allowed to "rest in peace"? Does it mean that comments about the person are allowed, but only if they are complimentary? Does it mean that discussion should truly be put to rest and thoughts and memories about the person be kept private and internal? I tend toward the later view, but think that if discussion is brought forward then all facets of the person's life should be allowed as topics...good or bad...factual or speculative (as long as that is made clear).
Of course we are allowed to talk about good and bad sides of the person (thank god !) but what is annoying, at least from my point of vue, is that some people "spit" (so to speak) on the memory of someone, by putting again some speculations on the front page not thinking that behind there's a person, dead now, who can't fight back those stupid stories. Leaving somebody at peace is letting him go and remembering but definitely not spreading rumours and unproven stuff.

Because it matters...
Closed Thread

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, duke of edinburgh, inquest, mohamed al fayed, prince philip, princess diana