The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I'm assuming he's referring to a Catholic priest since Maria B. is Catholic. I CANNOT imagine any Catholic priest agreeing to marry a non-Catholic divorcee princess to a Muslim man. It would even seem silly to me to approach a Catholic priest with such a question.

And what's the point of the little farce about revealing the name of the mystery royal who warned Diana that her apartments were bugged?
I too am puzzled as to why he would approach his wife's catholic priest, Diana was not a catholic. As you say the rules concerning divorce are even stricter than the CoE. Reading through the transcript, they told Hasnat the day after he had been to see the priest and they had also prepared rooms for him at KP, without checking with Hasnat or HM!

Frances, if she did in fact call Diana a whore, would have done so because she had become a strict catholic, where in Scotland even marrying somebody from the CoE was marrying the devil incarnate!

I add, if she did in fact call her that!

I have no idea what the problem is with naming the royal Diana said had warned her, unless it is someone who is willing and able to deny it, thus resulting in a perjury trial.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It's a puzzle about this priest. I would think that if you wanted a "quiet" wedding, you'd get a non-religious official to perform it for you. You wouldn't run to a Catholic priest because there are so many rules. (My parents, Catholic and Lutheran, jumped through hoops in the 1960s -- and at least my father was a Christian, whereas Hasnat Khan is not.)

And, unfortunately, I think Frances was a racist. In her world Muslim men just wouldn't be allowed to marry an aristocratic English woman.

IMO that's too bad. I think love can triumph over things like race and religion, although it's more difficult... and Hasnat Khan seems to have been the only true gentleman in Diana's life. (I bet he could have made a HUGE fortune writing a book about her.) My respect to Dr. Khan.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I too am puzzled as to why he would approach his wife's catholic priest, Diana was not a catholic.
He implies that Diana went with him to that chapel or church for her prayer - maybe she was really on converting to become aCatholic. Once a Catholic she could have had her marriage annulled... but that leads nowwhere as Catholics normally don't marry muslims...

As for having Dr. Khan move into KP - now that is what I call tasteless. She could have well afforded to buy her own place in London if she wanted to cohabitate with her new man.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Nobility

***I was speechless when I read the latest on FOXnews regarding Diana's mother, the specific label she called her daughter and the other line describing her behaviour. No wonder Diana made it a point to appear in public and as a friend with Acid Raine.

I was confused to whether Paul has a diary/journal or not. Seems before lunch he had a journal and after lunch he didn't.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
What a terrible way to treat her daughter ! If it's actually true, how hurtful it must have been for Diana. I'll never understand how a family can be so cruel with its own members ...

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post

As for having Dr. Khan move into KP - now that is what I call tasteless. She could have well afforded to buy her own place in London if she wanted to cohabitate with her new man.
Why is it tasteless, the apartments belonged to Diana and she payed rent or some type mortgage to the queen. It really wasn't anyone's business who Diana moved into her apartments.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Courtier

Diana, I'm afraid never stood a chance...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
It's a puzzle about this priest. I would think that if you wanted a "quiet" wedding, you'd get a non-religious official to perform it for you. You wouldn't run to a Catholic priest because there are so many rules. (My parents, Catholic and Lutheran, jumped through hoops in the 1960s -- and at least my father was a Christian, whereas Hasnat Khan is not.)

And, unfortunately, I think Frances was a racist. In her world Muslim men just wouldn't be allowed to marry an aristocratic English woman.

IMO that's too bad. I think love can triumph over things like race and religion, although it's more difficult... and Hasnat Khan seems to have been the only true gentleman in Diana's life. (I bet he could have made a HUGE fortune writing a book about her.) My respect to Dr. Khan.
Whether it is a catholic weddings or CoE they have to read the banns, 3 weeks in advance of the wedding. A civil ceremony, I believe requires notification by both parties and a posting on the board of intention to marry for 15 days. No way could Diana have had a quiet wedding in the UK. The board at registry offices are a normal hangout for reporters.

I don't know about Frances, I hate to think that she was a racist, she cut such a lonely figure and I always felt so sorry for her and the way she lost custody of her children.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Why is it tasteless, the apartments belonged to Diana and she payed rent or some type mortgage to the queen. It really wasn't anyone's business who Diana moved into her apartments.
The apartment did not belong to Diana, she lived there, rent free afaik, out of the kindness of HM's heart.
The Royal Residences > Kensington Palace
Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
-SNIPPED-

I don't know about Frances, I hate to think that she was a racist, she always cut such a lonely figure and I always felt so sorry for her and the way she lost custody of her children.
Yes, that's what saddens me the most : to have compassion for this woman after all she's been through but at the same time some hatred for her racist assertions and her contempt toward her own daughter. Frances had a controversial/ two-sided personality that people also see in Diana.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Gentry

Having read the transcripts of today's evidence,I feel quite strongly that Paul Burrell will not produce the requested documents tomorrow.
Of course,I could be quite wrong but there's a whole lot about today that just doesn't ring true to me.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The apartment did not belong to Diana, she lived there, rent free afaik, out of the kindness of HM's heart.
The Royal Residences > Kensington Palace
So the present royals who live at KP the Kents and Gloucesters do not own their aparments?

It is rather tacky that she would bring a man into her rent free apartments. She could have bought a condominium in London. Doesen't London have condos?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
So the present royals who live at KP the Kents and Gloucesters do not own their aparments?

It is rather tacky that she would bring a man into her rent free apartments. She could have bought a condominium in London. Doesen't London have condos?
No they don't own their apartments, Princess Margaret didn't either. I believe they pay what is called a peppercorn rent, which would be well below the cost of renting an apartment of that size in a good area of London. We don't have condominiums, but we do have flats, apartments and of course houses of varying sizes. I don't think Diana thought it through, if it is true.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't have any problem at all with Diana taking men to KP. I think she was given the apartments as a London home till the boys left school or something. I'm not sure of the details. If it was her home, it was nobody's business who went there.

ETA I should read things thoroughly before I respond. Seems we're talking about moving him in to live with her. That's an entirely different kettle of fish, and not at all appropriate.

Now I must go and read the transcript before I make any more uninformed comments.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM

I agree with Roslyn, why shouldn't she have taken men to KP? It was her home, she was an adult, alot of adults do it - I'd be more suprised if she hadn't.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wouldn't be comfortable with her bringing men into the apartments, there was always the possibility that they could bump into Princess Margaret. But as you say she was an adult, moving someone in however, is a different matter. If she wanted to play at Mrs Khan, then she should have the decency to find their own place.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM

But Princess Margaret could hardly raise an eyebrow could she? And she was hardly playing Mrs Khan was she? Casual sex doesn't equate to marriage.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I agree with Roslyn, why shouldn't she have taken men to KP? It was her home, she was an adult, alot of adults do it - I'd be more suprised if she hadn't.
No, BeatrixFan we were discussing if Diana moved a man into her KP apartments.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
But Princess Margaret could hardly raise an eyebrow could she? And she was hardly playing Mrs Khan was she? Casual sex doesn't equate to marriage.
If it had been casual sex, that is one thing and I'm not sure that would have been a good for the boys to hear about. However, according to Burrell, she was moving him in on a permanent basis and that would be causing HM some headaches if that happened.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 PM

Well, moving a man in is completely different and I'd agree that it would be totally wrong. I thought Bumroll was suggesting that Diana and Hasnat Khan had a physical relationship which took place in KP. Which I wouldn't see a problem with but yes, moving him in would have been a bit much.

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, duke of edinburgh, inquest, mohamed al fayed, prince philip, princess diana