The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
That sort of personal gift would perhaps be given to the groom as a wedding gift from his bride. The same way that I received jewellery given to my husband by his grandmama on our wedding day. I don't think Diana would have given a 'significant' gift to someone she had known such a short time and could have been a summer infatuation. If they were that important to her, why did she not give them to Hasnet?
Fair enough but then how do you explain the letter where she told him that these were her father's cufflinks?

Or do you think she was stringing him along and making him feel that he was more special to her than he actually was to prevent him from leaving her as Hasnet did?

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Fair enough but then how do you explain the letter where she told him that these were her father's cufflinks?

Or do you think she was stringing him along and making him feel that he was more special to her than he actually was to prevent him from leaving her as Hasnet did?
They probably were a pair of her fathers cufflinks, probably just one set of the many pairs he discarded over the years that Diana had kept. I think it was just something she wrote to make the gift sound significant to the recipient.

She has not suggested they were important to her and that is why I believe they were just a thank you gift, to someone she had enjoyed a fling with.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 AM

I don't see what this is all about. Diana was given a pair of cufflinks from her father. She loved her father. She gave them to Dodi because she loved him. What am I missing?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
She gave them to Dodi because she loved him.......
Or they were just a thank you to a friend/summer fling?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
quote shortened - I don't for a moment believe that they were his 'last gift' to her, but it does sound good to the recipient.
We won't ever know if it was her last jewellry gift from her father. But, it was written in a letter by her in those words and more word about how Dodi made her very happy, so to me it means something to the recipient and his father. Do you remember that Mr. Mohammed al Fayed was a good friend of Diana's father and Raine? That is how I believe Diana first met the al Fayeds. So to me this letter makes even more sense that it was not a casual fling by Diana giving her father's friend's son a gift from him.

Quote:
If they were that important to her, why did she not give them to Hasnet?
Maybe because Dodi wanted to marry her. And maybe she did give Hasnet some gifts that he returned to her when they broke up two months before. The relationship with Hewitt was over before her father died in 1992, so she could not give such a personal gift.

Quote:
Yes Diana fussed around her brother and father, which is why she was devastated that her father replaced her with Raine.
She was devastated with Raine and did not treat her right I admit, but in the end she did become friends with Raine. Again, I read that her father wanted Diana to make peace with Raine when he was dying. I know it took a long time for that relationship to develop, but it did. It might have develped as Skydragon said because she was getting even with her mother, but I hope it was because of the love of her father that she finally became friends with Raine.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I don't see what this is all about. Diana was given a pair of cufflinks from her father. She loved her father. She gave them to Dodi because she loved him. What am I missing?
Right on BeatrixFan!!!

Could it also maybe mean that Mr. al Fayed might not be a total liar? It will be interesting to see what the jury is going to say.

Quote:
She has not suggested they were important to her and that is why I believe they were just a thank you gift, to someone she had enjoyed a fling with.
Letter 2 - dated August 13, 1997
"Darling Dodi,
"These cufflinks were the very last gift that I received from the man I loved most in the world - My Father -
"They are given to you as I know how much joy it would give him to know they were in such safe & special hands...
"Fondest love, from, Diana. x"

To me these words show that she wanted to keep the love relationship going and not a summer fling. And even if Diana was treating it that way - I don't think Dodi would have taken it that way with these words.
What I don't understand is why do people think they would have married right away. I think Diana would taken it slow and put the ring on her right hand.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Or they were just a thank you to a friend/summer fling?
Well, I'd say that as Diana was obviously a person who fell in love very easily, they were indeed to be a gift based on love. I know that I've sent gifts to ex's with similar notes because I felt it was 'the real thing'. I think that was how Diana acted on this one. She fell in love, she sent something very personal and it probably made Dodi feel loved- which in a relationship is surely the key aim of both people?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Well, I'd say that as Diana was obviously a person who fell in love very easily, they were indeed to be a gift based on love. I know that I've sent gifts to ex's with similar notes because I felt it was 'the real thing'. I think that was how Diana acted on this one. She fell in love, she sent something very personal and it probably made Dodi feel loved- which in a relationship is surely the key aim of both people?
I totally follow you on this one BeatrixFan. Maybe they thought it was true love and perhaps it was, even if we tend to think it was just a summer fling. At that time of her life, Diana wasn't going well : Hasnat had left her, Camilla was with Charles, Hewitt was revealing god-knows-how-many details of their love story, etc. Having someone next to her who was in the same state-of-mind (i.e. completely lost) looked impossible, but Dodi was there, with the lover problems and loneliness just like Diana.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Do you remember that Mr. Mohammed al Fayed was a good friend of Diana's father and Raine? That is how I believe Diana first met the al Fayeds. So to me this letter makes even more sense that it was not a casual fling by Diana giving her father's friend's son a gift from him.
Lets be honest here, yes they were friends of Raine's and her father but the cherry on the cake for Diana, would have been the knowledge that Fayed was despised by the 'men in grey suits' and the RF.
Quote:
Or is it that she played on the 'man flu' syndrome?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:28 PM

Does it matter though? Whether she thought she was in love or whether she really was, she had someone close to her. And let's not forget, love has many forms. I don't really see why it's nessecary to try and prove that Diana didn't love Dodi - what can be gained from it? We're all entitled to love if we find it, as unpalatable to social norms as it may or may not be.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
"Darling Dodi,
"These cufflinks were the very last gift that I received from the man I loved most in the world - My Father -
"They are given to you as I know how much joy it would give him to know they were in such safe & special hands...
"Fondest love, from, Diana. x"
To me these words show that she wanted to keep the love relationship going and not a summer fling. And even if Diana was treating it that way - I don't think Dodi would have taken it that way with these words.
As with anyone, I can only base my opinion on what I know others of her class have always done and as I keep saying, this is not a 'love note', but an affectionate thank you. The same sort of heading and ending on the PM's I write to some people on here!
Quote:
Does it matter though? Whether she thought she was in love or whether she really was, she had someone close to her. And let's not forget, love has many forms. I don't really see why it's nessecary to try and prove that Diana didn't love Dodi - what can be gained from it? We're all entitled to love if we find it, as unpalatable to social norms as it may or may not be.
Yes we are all entitled to love, the only point I disagree with is the significance of the cufflinks. It is suggested that she was deeply in love with Dodi and the cufflinks are being offered as a strong hint that she was going to become engaged to him.

I don't like Diana (as you know) but even I credit her with more sense/intelligence than to accept that she would commit to anyone so easily after her disastrous marriage and liasons. I feel everyone is doing her a dis-service by buying into Fayeds fantasy. She was worth more than that.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Exactly. If she had found someone that understood her, where's the problem ? I'm sure he was really nice to her and that she was happy to finally be free to do what she wanted and be able to love without hidding.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Does the significance of a pair of cufflinks matter though Skydragon? If they were meant as a token of love or as just a gift, who cares? It's what they meant to Dodi that matters, not us and as they weren't intended for us, why worry?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Lets be honest here, yes they were friends of Raine's and her father but the cherry on the cake for Diana, would have been the knowledge that Fayed was despised by the 'men in grey suits' and the RF.
Again Skydragon, I read that summer she had no other invitations for July and August. Her social group got small after she divorced Charles. And why spend the summer home if you don't have too?

Also, if I remember correctly she was going on a vacation with another girlfriend when that friend's father died, so Dodi asked her to join him for a few days away from England. Unfortunely it was her last vacation!!! I also think she felt safe with his protection force.

It could be possible about Diana knowing the "men in grey suits" did not like al Fayed and would go on vacation just to make them upset, but I think she was trying to move away from the whole BRF scene. It was as said from my reading that Diana and Charles were getting on well after the divorce. Charles even stopped by and talked with her about the children and I think they were going to do a function together in the next few months.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I credit her with more sense/intelligence than to accept that she would commit to anyone so easily after her disastrous marriage and liasons.
Skydragon, I do agree with the above statement. And we will never know what she would do. I think some of the posters including myself hope that she really did find some real love with Dodi at the end of her short, sad life.

Let's move on and I can not wait until next week's saga starts at the inquest.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Does the significance of a pair of cufflinks matter though Skydragon? If they were meant as a token of love or as just a gift, who cares? It's what they meant to Dodi that matters, not us and as they weren't intended for us, why worry?
I think it does, as I said it is buying into Fayeds fantasy and for all we know Dodi knew they were just a gift, but they are being held up as evidence that she would have married Dodi. As with the pregnancy rumours, I always believed that Diana had too much 'class' to allow herself to become pregnant and was horrified that her fans would believe she would do that.

I am equally horrified that her fans would accept that she would give away a precious gift from her father, to a male companion.

I too hope she had a really wonderful last few weeks on holiday, it's just a pity that Dodi and his father didn't take care of her on that fateful night.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I think it does, as I said it is buying into Fayeds fantasy and for all we know Dodi knew they were just a gift, but they are being held up as evidence that she would have married Dodi. As with the pregnancy rumours, I always believed that Diana had too much 'class' to allow herself to become pregnant and was horrified that her fans would believe she would do that.

I am equally horrified that her fans would accept that she would give away a precious gift from her father, to a male companion.

I too hope she had a really wonderful last few weeks on holiday, it's just a pity that Dodi and his father didn't take care of her on that fateful night.
Hold on, there's a wide gulf between summer fling and imminent wedding.

A summer fling means that it was over when they were killed in the car; an imminent wedding means they were going to get married later that year. But there are a lot of possibilities in between those two extremes. Perhaps they both thought they were in love and wanted to see each other a lot more just to find out.

But from the quotes of Diana's friends, she was ready to dump Dodi that night she died. The cufflinks lead us to another conclusion than that but not necessarily imminent marriage. I still can't see Diana using her father's cufflinks as a parting gift for a naughty summer romp.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Nobility

A few months ago I made a comment regarding the 'flash of light' conspiracy theory and that Camilla and Diana were both victims of this flash. Skydragon disagreed in a polite way. After following this inquest for the past 2months I have concluded that 1) Diana died in a horrible and like avoidable accident and 2) there was no conspiracy with lights, the royal family or anybody else.

I read a very interesting expose on Mr. Fayed Sr. in Vanity Fair from 1995. While it is true that he is involved in some questionable business dealings I think his grief for his son is real. It is the worst thing for a parent to lose a child and the parent is always looking for the answer Why? My 31 year old sister died from sudden cardiac death 5 years ago. She dropped dead talking to my mother. After autopsies, medical record reviews etc... it was just one of those horrible things. My parents, siblings, and I have moved on but it is still painful.
I think after all of this digging and further invasion into Princess Diana's privacy, the coroner will conclude that it was an accident, there was no foulplay, and the medical team tried their best. Mr. Fayed will have to let this go and move on with his remaining family. Princes Charles,
William and Harry will have to go on as well.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
I read a very interesting expose on Mr. Fayed Sr. in Vanity Fair from 1995. While it is true that he is involved in some questionable business dealings I think his grief for his son is real. It is the worst thing for a parent to lose a child and the parent is always looking for the answer.
Yes, sthreats i really agree with you about Mr. al Fayed griefing for is son. But, with this inquest we are now getting information that support Mr. al Fayed. I don't think Princess Diana was pregnant and definitely Prince Philip is not responsible for Diana's death. But other things - like the black car and fiat, the budding relationship, and the ties to the secret forces MI6 has got me thinking now. I think it is going to be an interesting next few months with this inquest.

I do hope that when the jury decides a verdit all parties with then let Princess Diana rest.

Nice that you came aboard.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
A summer fling means that it was over when they were killed in the car; an imminent wedding means they were going to get married later that year. But there are a lot of possibilities in between those two extremes. Perhaps they both thought they were in love and wanted to see each other a lot more just to find out.

But from the quotes of Diana's friends, she was ready to dump Dodi that night she died. The cufflinks lead us to another conclusion than that but not necessarily imminent marriage. I still can't see Diana using her father's cufflinks as a parting gift for a naughty summer romp.
IMO, the gift of the cufflinks was not a 'signal' that she was 'madly' in love with him. The letters although 'nice' have no passion, no oomph, they are just nice polite little thank you notes. Although I will definitely be careful what I put in my thank you letters from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
<shortened quote> I think his grief for his son is real. It is the worst thing for a parent to lose a child and the parent is always looking for the answer.........
.......I think after all of this digging and further invasion into Princess Diana's privacy, the coroner will conclude that it was an accident, there was no foulplay, and the medical team tried their best. Mr. Fayed will have to let this go and move on with his remaining family. Princes Charles, William and Harry will have to go on as well.
I also believe his grief is real and one of the reasons he 'needs' to believe it is someone elses fault, is that if he has to accept his employee or his car were at fault, it makes it so much harder to bear. After any loss, (I am sorry to hear of yours ), the questions run through your mind of, could I have done things differently, would it have made a difference, the 'what if' syndrome. What a weight to bear for him.

However, William and Harry lost their beloved mother and for him to accuse their beloved grandpapa must have made it even harder for them. Can you imagine what hell it must be for them, hearing and reading about every intimate detail of their mothers life, hearing how they cut her up and checked this organ or that? If his son did indeed love Diana, then Fayed should feel shame for putting her boys through this extended enquiry!

Closed Thread

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, duke of edinburgh, inquest, mohamed al fayed, prince philip, princess diana