Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Excellent post.
I absolutely concur.

There is way too much hysterical hypothesising and "conspiracy theories" being presented in part or in total as "TRUTH!" Definitive and unequivical.

I think most of us have realised that whilst we were horrified at such an horrific end to the "People's Princess", the fact remains that ten years on we have grown and matured and the ugly truth is that it was just a plain old stupid, irresponsible accident, the culmination of a night out on the town that so many of us have seen or experienced either first or second hand.

It is never easy to let those we love go, and we wonder "why them". Worse, while we are watching the never-ending enquires etc. that have taken TEN years to get to a British Inquest, how much worse it must be for her siblings and her sons to never be able to grieve, mourn, and move on like to rest of us. Instead they get to go through another Eight Months (at the least) of vincictive accusations against what is left of their family.

They fact that William and Harry appear to be relatively well-balanced in spite of all this is a tribute especially to the very people Muhommed Al Fayed has declared over and over are murderers (not to put too fine a point on it).

It's going to be a long and painful Eight months ahead of them.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
I do agree that dating two non-white, Muslim persons in a row was not a smart move by Diana.
In the end this was a tragic car accident. We will probably never know how many people were involved in causing it.
Diana had already done all the damage to the monarchy, I would have thought, so it would have been a little late in the day for the government to 'step in' and remove the problem.

Camilla's accident was nothing to do with 'bright lights', it was the mundane narrow road and both of them in a hurry and cutting a little off a minor corner scenario.

Would someone please explain what the supposed problem was with Diana dating or marrying a muslim?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Would someone please explain what the supposed problem was with Diana dating or marrying a muslim?
Simple racial prejudice, is my guess.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Mountains out of molehills.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Nobility

Even Diana's mother was horrified Diana would even spend time with a "mere" heart surgeon/cardiologist in the persona of Hasnat Khan. I would think any mother would be proud for their daughter to be in the company of such a educated man. But such is the premium placed upon "position" and "class" within the upper echelons of British aristocracy.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

It can't just be racial prejudice, Fayed, for instance, cites this as a reason for the UK government and the BRF, to have her killed. I think I should have phrased my question in a different way.

What difference could it have made, to the government or the BRF, if Diana married a muslim, to the extent that one or other of them would feel the need to eliminate her.

Throughout the affairs (on both sides), the BRF just stuck it out, after the Morton book, the interviews etc, HM and the rest of them just carried on, doing what they had always done.

The government didn't get it's policies from Diana, with their integration/multi cultural policy, they would surely have welcomed the union. It would have been in everyones interest if Diana remarried - whether to a muslim or not.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Even Diana's mother was horrified Diana would even spend time with a "mere" heart surgeon/cardiologist in the persona of Hasnat Khan. I would think any mother would be proud for their daughter to be in the company of such a educated man. But such is the premium placed upon "position" and "class" within the upper echelons of British aristocracy.
Do you have a link to your source that Frances felt a heart surgeon wasn't good enough?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Commoner

I have been a long-time reader and rarely post, but I feel that this whole thread lacks one very important point of view. Before any nasty replies are posted, please be aware that this post is not meant as a reply to anyone, it is just something that I have held inside for awhile and need to get off my chest. These thoughts may have been brought out before by other posters, but I just wanted to put in my two cents worth.

Many times I have asked myself if this is a quest for al Fayed to have the facts come out or to simply get what he wants. The saddest part about this entire inquest is that the only person that will gain anything is Mr. al Fayed. In other words, if this inquest does not produce the results HE believes to be the truth, he has the money and resources to ensure that this investigation/inquest/conspiracy theory never ends. Everyone else will have to go along for the ride whether you want to or not. His name will be forever linked to Diana simply because he has the money to do so.

Scenario #1 – if the inquest rules that this was a tragic accident, he will NEVER stop until he either runs out of money or dies. The results are not what he believes to be the truth, and therefore must be incorrect. Even if we had moment by moment video footage from inside and outside the Mercedes that determined it was an accident, it would not be good enough for al Fayed.

Scenario #2 – if the inquest rules that she was murdered, but that the BRF had nothing to do with it, he will continue to fight because the end result was only one-half of what he wanted, not the entire thing.

The important thing to remember here is that he is fighting as hard and as long as he can to have some sort of link with the BRF and/or the government that has denied him citizenship for so long. I firmly believe that if he had any evidence that another force (terrorist group, any Muslim group that did not want them to marry, if they were to marry, etc.) was responsible, he would not do anything, because he has nothing to gain.

If the inquest decides that she was murdered, be prepared for al Fayed to continue fighting until the final documents have every comma, period, and question mark exactly where he wants them. In other words, this will never end, even at the pleading of Diana’s children and family, until al Fayed gets exactly what he wants, regardless of the cost, emotional pain, and the best interest of the British public.

Another point that is important to remember is that if the inquest determines that this was an accident and not murder, it could result in multiple lawsuits being filed against al Fayed due to lack of security, employee drunkenness, etc. He has much to lose if it is ever determined that this was in fact an accident that was caused by an employee of the Ritz.

Now before anyone lashes out, I am not saying that he did/does not love his son or that the inquest is not necessary; that is not the point of this post. The point is to state that for those who believe she was murdered, you should understand that even if the results of the inquest meets your own personal approval, and the approval of the British public, this will never end until it reaches the approval of al Fayed. That, my friends, is not justice. It is using all of your power, money, and influence to get exactly what you want regardless of the affect it has on other people or proven facts.

I have said my peace...I hope I have not offended anyone!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Nobility

Diana really could have been used to great advantage by the British government/secret services had she lived and continued her relationship with Dodi by creating a direct conduit to Mohammed Al-Fayed's doorstep. She was worth more to the British government alive. But she could have become an even bigger embarrassment for the Royal Family...who are not known for tolerating much out of their comfort zone when it comes to the spouses of the members of the RF, especially a mother to the future king....
Old 10-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Do you have a link to your source that Frances felt a heart surgeon wasn't good enough?
"A Royal Duty" by Paul Burrell.

According to Paul Burrell in his book, Frances called Diana sometime in May 1997 inebriated and slurring her speech saying Diana should not go out with Hasnat 1) because he was a "mere surgeon" 2) he was a Pakistani/Muslim.

Frances, according to Paul, also sent Diana letters that Diana returned to her mother unopened after this telephone call.

Diana was not on speaking terms with her mother after this particular phone call, according to Burrell, and never mended their relationship.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nice post Lady Karen, welcome to the forums!

pinkie40 - Why would they need a link to Fayed, he was and is seen as a minor irritant. His brother was allowed a British Passport, but because of doubts and some evidence of illegally obtained money and alleged wrong doing in his own country, added to his recorded outbursts against the royals (before Diana & Dodi), he has been turned down a couple of times.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
"A Royal Duty" by Paul Burrell.

According to Paul Burrell in his book, Frances would call Diana inebriated slurring her speech saying Diana should not go out with Hasnat 1) because he was a "mere surgeon" 2) he was dark skinned/Muslim. Frances, according to Paul, sent Diana letters that Diana returned to her mother unopened.
Not exactly a reliable source then. How would Burrell know what Frances said if she was speaking to Diana? If Diana returned the letters unopened (which we are told by many, she did), how would he know what was in those. I know I am being picky here but it sounds as if Burrell is taking delight in slurring a woman who showed her dislike of him from the word go.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Karen View Post
I have been a long-time reader and rarely post, but I feel that this whole thread lacks one very important point of view...
It does appear that some people will spend any amount of money to try to get the result they want, regardless of how it will affect others.
Great post, well-said!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Not exactly a reliable source then. How would Burrell know what Frances said if she was speaking to Diana? If Diana returned the letters unopened (which we are told by many, she did), how would he know what was in those. I know I am being picky here but it sounds as if Burrell is taking delight in slurring a woman who showed her dislike of him from the word go.

Paul mentions in his book Diana allowed him to hear the phone call between the slurring Frances and Diana. And, according to Simone Simmons' last book "Diana-The Last Words", Simone thought Paul was incredibly nosey into Diana's business, much more than is expected for the "average" butler.

I would assume from Frances' own station in life she could have been quite particular what "class" and "breeding" the men her daughter had an interest in. I am sure that most men must have been "inferior" since Diana did marry at the top of the totem. I also think Diana must have wanted the same acceptance from her mother in her choice of dating partners as she believed her step-mother Raine had accepted Hasnat.

What must have stunned and shocked Frances was that the person who attended Diana in the last moments of her life was, in fact, a heart surgeon.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Karen View Post
I have been a long-time reader and rarely post, but I feel that this whole thread lacks one very important point of view...
I agree with you 100%.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Lady Karen, excellent post!
Sky Dragon, you are exactly right about the BRF going about their business during the whole messy ordeal of Charles and Diana's break up.
I had thought about it, but hadn't given it much more thought than now about just how much effort it took to keep being themselves and doing what they do. I very much respect them for that!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Paul mentions in his book Diana allowed him to hear the phone call between the slurring Frances and Diana.......
I'm afraid I find it hard to believe 99.9% of anything Burrell says. This is the 'man', I use the term loosely, who according to him, gave Charles a telling off. The same 'man', I watched on a programme stuttering and crawling over a fake arab prince, wringing his hands and almost in tears in case he had upset him! He was certainly Diana's rock, the rock around her neck!
Quote:
I would assume from Frances' own station in life she could have been quite particular what "class" and "breeding" the men her daughter had an interest in.
Like most mothers, I think Frances just wanted Diana to settle down with someone she could be happy with. Peter Shand Kydd was hardly aristocratic. His father made wallpaper (on a large scale) and he became a sheep farmer!
Quote:
What must have stunned and shocked Frances was that the person who attended Diana in the last moments of her life was, in fact, a heart surgeon.
Not all aristocrats or upper class people live a life of idle luxury. Some do in fact work, some for a living, some because they want to. More than that, I wouldn't have thought anyone gave it a seconds thought about who attended Diana in her last moments, just the fact that she was dead.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

A few posts have been removed because they are intent on rehashing the same old, same old.

Unless the Diana Inquest raises the subject of the Duchess of Cornwall or examines the state of the Wales' marriage prior to the divorce, there is no need to introduce either topic into this thread as a means of continuing the old and tired partisan fights.

thanks.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Diana: 'Snapper shouted 'she's dead'' - Yahoo! News UK
Paparazzi 'blocked Diana's Mercedes' - Yahoo! News UK
Car tried to slow Diana vehicle for photographers: inquest - Yahoo! News UK

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I'm afraid I find it hard to believe 99.9% of anything Burrell says. This is the 'man', I use the term loosely, who according to him, gave Charles a telling off. The same 'man', I watched on a programme stuttering and crawling over a fake arab prince, wringing his hands and almost in tears in case he had upset him! He was certainly Diana's rock, the rock around her neck!
Like most mothers, I think Frances just wanted Diana to settle down with someone she could be happy with. Peter Shand Kydd was hardly aristocratic. His father made wallpaper (on a large scale) and he became a sheep farmer!
Not all aristocrats or upper class people live a life of idle luxury. Some do in fact work, some for a living, some because they want to. More than that, I wouldn't have thought anyone gave it a seconds thought about who attended Diana in her last moments, just the fact that she was dead.
Because Her Majesty intervened upon his behalf and then gave him a medal, I listen whenever Paul talks. I look forward to his participation in the inquest.

Perhaps it was more of a religious view that Diana's mother questioned about her daughter's suitors. I don't know the Catholic stance on Muslims and that may have been an issue for Frances. I also believe Diana had been influenced by Annabel Goldsmith (mother of Jemima Khan) much to the chagrin of many of Diana's friends.

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, duke of edinburgh, inquest, mohamed al fayed, prince philip, princess diana