The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think so... I think that most of us have read something written by Di's staff or about them, and formed an opinion..
I don't like these books written by staff, but i have read some bits of them, and other things... my general impression of Diana with staff was that in many ways she was a kindly boss, and in some ways more understanding than other royals. However she did have trust issues and at times she did seem to get too friendly with people who worked for her, but then seemed to feel that they were taking advantage of her. One or 2 staff have written books, and have been usually rather cirtical of her.. but in point of fact most staff HAVENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It depends on who you read. AFAICR Sir Edward was an older man, a bachelor and rather formal and rigid, one of the Old Guard surrounding Charles that Diana probably didn't feel very comfortable around. However, he supposedly had a difference of opinion with Charles, who was getting bolder about expressing controversial views on architecture, urban planning etc.. Adeane disagreed with this approach and so he resigned.
Probalby a bit of both. I think that he did find Diana a bit hard to get on with because she was not very educated, and he had to try and give her tutition.. but he and other staff disagreed with Charlres about HIS things at times...

Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

After the separation from Prince Charles, did Princess Diana still have ladies-in-waiting?

Old 03-07-2017, 12:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, more info on Diana's ladies-in-waiting:
http://users.uniserve.com/~canyon/di...ies.htm#Ladies

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts about Paul Burrell's upcoming marriage have been moved to his thread, Paul Burrell, Diana's Former Butler
Old 07-30-2018, 07:21 PM

The Queen and Di

Hello everyone,

I'm currently reading The Queen and Di and I came across this sentence: "A maid was dismissed on the totally unfounded charge that she was a lesbian." (page 120, first U.S. edition). Considering Princess Diana was an LGBT icon and did so much for the community, I found this quite disturbing, and I've been trying to find an explanation for it.

Can anyone shed any light on this revelation? I can't imagine her firing anyone over their sexuality, or at least I hope she wouldn't have.

Thank you.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I've never heard of this. I presume no source was given in the book? It would be surprising I think, as Royal households have always had quite a lot of staff who were homosexual males.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I’ve never heard that rumour, but if there’s any source for it it’s probably noted in the end notes/foot notes.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that's what I meant. It was obviously not sourced, as with footnotes.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:32 AM
Majesty

I have no idea what the protection is in the UK for staff, but over here on the Continent, it is almost impossible to fire staff without permission from the social security agency or even a fiat from the Court of Justice. Usually a member of staff who is fired has to go to the unemployment agency and register him- or herself as a job seeker and ask for benefits. It is impossible that The Princess of Wales would just fire a member of staff on these grounds without proper procedure. Unless the UK has also an opt-out on the social paragraph of the EU Treaties and therefore Britons are not as protected as the rest of the EU. For this moment I think the story has been sucked out of a very thick thumb.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've never heard of this. I presume no source was given in the book? It would be surprising I think, as Royal households have always had quite a lot of staff who were homosexual males.

I had never heard of this before either, which is why I find it so shocking.

There is no source; the sentence is only mentioned in passing to give examples of people Diana fired during a certain period of time (I’ll quote the full paragraph below).

What adds to the confusion is that the book does mention homosexual men: “In what the Palace staff saw as a deliberate attempt to upset [the Prince of Whales], she flirted with the more handsome (and usually gay) footmen.” (Page 100). This gives me the impression that Diana was okay with gay men (and a great supporter of the community), so why would she have an issue with a gay woman?

I’m just trying to understand the circumstances surrounding the firing, and I don’t want to make any judgments without knowing the context.

The full paragraph: “She was not alone in her sentiment. When she had first moved into Buckingham Palace, Diana had been anxious to the point of embarrassment to make friends with the staff. Once installed as Princess of Wales she swung in the opposite direction, and by 1985 some forty royal servants had been ‘let go’ on the Princess’s instructions. This enforced exodus included footmen, police officers and chauffeurs. A maid was dismissed on the totally unfounded charge that she was a lesbian.” (Page 100: The Queen and Di: The Untold Story by Ingrid Seward).
Old 07-31-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I’ve never heard that rumour, but if there’s any source for it it’s probably noted in the end notes/foot notes.
I went through the index, and I couldn't find any mention of the source. The names credited to Page 120 are Edward Adeane (Private Secretary to the Prince of Wales from 1979 to 1985), Barbara Barnes (the princes' nanny), Stephen Barry (valet to Prince Charles), Michael Colborne (private secretary to Prince Charles), and Oliver Everett (private secretary).
Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps a good idea would be to read further on about this period of time and Diana's hiring and firing of staff that worked for her as a new Princess of Wales. One book I can recommend quite highly where the experiences aren't related and named to a "source" but comes from the actual source herself, would be "The Housekeeper's Diary" by Wendy Berry.

It deals primarily with Diana and Charles and their years together at Highgrove. I think this gives a much clearer insight into how Diana handled her staff and her motivations behind it.

Synopsis at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Housekeepers-...eper%27s+Diary

Best deal if looking to buy at abebooks.com: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...iary&kn=&isbn=

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~

Tags
class system, diana princess of wales, princess diana, staff