The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Social Norms: Diana and staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
When I read that William and Catherine added a family kitchen to their KP apartment I wondered if this was William's wish because of his mother's reported problems/being banned from the kitchen.

Not everything William does is related to his mother. William has a child and a wife who is a home maker and a cook, I'm sure it has more to do with that then some snippet Diana gave to Andrew Morton.

I also wonder if Williams reluctance to become a full time royal has a little to do with not wanting to being in a lot of staff to do the things he can no longer do and have them start leaking stories.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I definitely think this is why they had no live-in staff in Wales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I think the notoriously private William is keeping the number of staff to a minimum because of the tell-all books that have been written by his mother's (and father's) former staff.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

How many of the books written by the staff came after Diana's death? I know that Wharfe the bodyguard, Burrell, the Chef and Jephson, the Private Secretary all wrote books. The only staff from Charles I remember writing a book was Stephen Barry, the valet. I remember reading that one when I was little . It was very tame.

I think William has a pretty tight knit staff - I can't really see Miguel, Rebecca or Jamie writing a book. WK made Jamie a godfather of George so they have complete faith in him.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Not everything William does is related to his mother...
I realize that, having lost a parent at a young age myself, however, since this is a thread relating to his mother, I limited my comments to that possibility and even erased additional factors (Catherine cooking, Middleton heart of the home influence, etc.) that I'd originally typed as I didn't want to go off topic. Plus, I'm a bit tired of the tabs assuming that Catherine was the sole reason for the second kitchen.
It is clear that, for whatever reason, William has chosen a different path vis a viz. servants than his mother (and his father) chose when William and Harry were young children.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that Diana was used to a more relaxed situation regarding the family and the staff. According to various descriptions of her childhood years, it was normal for her to visit the kitchen and talk to the staff. Perhaps she thought that the staff at the royal residences operated the same way. She was apparently relaxed with Stephen Barry until he walked into her bedroom one morning while she was sitting on the bed in her night-dress. I'm not sure whether it was in his own book that he mentioned this.
I've read about this, too - or heard about it on a documentary about Diana's growing up. Exactly so. The way it was explained was that Diana and her younger brother Charles came to Althorp as older children and they both wandered all over the house and grounds after they moved in. It became common for them to wander down to the kitchen and talk with the staff - who humored the children. This then translated to the royal palaces as a young bride.

Mermaid, I have never heard about the Barry incident. Oh my - boundary crossed there. Must have been awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
How many of the books written by the staff came after Diana's death? I know that Wharfe the bodyguard, Burrell, the Chef and Jephson, the Private Secretary all wrote books. The only staff from Charles I remember writing a book was Stephen Barry, the valet. I remember reading that one when I was little . It was very tame.
I've just read this thread and am surprised that the following book has not been mentioned - published before Diana's death and a significant source of anecdotal stories regarding exactly how Diana interacted with her staff. My mother took a keen interest in Diana throughout the 80's and 90's while I was growing up - and one of the books in her library of books on royalty was this one -

The Housekeeper's Diary: Charles and Diana Before the Breakup by Mrs Wendy Berry (1995)

FYI: Mrs Berry clearly was impressed with Diana in certain ways. I would say she liked Diana better than Charles - though her motives in writing the memoir are curious. At any rate, her insights into the private life of the Waleses and how they treated their staff appears to be clear-eyed.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Courtier

I think this kitchen has nothing to do with Diana or Middletons. It's all about modern style of life and modern standards of life. Nobody in Europe or UK would rent or bye flat without a kitchen. Nobody wants to share their kitchen with other families (or with people who rent Kensington Palace for their events).
Morden wealthy people have less staff and know how to cook something for themselves.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
I think this kitchen has nothing to do with Diana or Middletons. It's all about modern style of life and modern standards of life. Nobody in Europe or UK would rent or bye flat without a kitchen. Nobody wants to share their kitchen with other families (or with people who rent Kensington Palace for their events).

Modern wealthy people have less staff and know how to cook something for themselves.
I agree. But I think it helps that Catherine knows how to cook and grew up in a family where the kitchen was the focal point of family activity. Sounds lovely. George will have some wonderful memories around the warmth of food cooking with conversation and good times.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Courtier

I actually think it's lovely Catherine wants George to have a somewhat normal childhood. Having his mother cooking, spending time in the kitchen can provide some very happy memories plus by all accounts Catherine can cook which is a bonus. I think she wants to be able to do her own thing sometimes without having to rely on staff it's more cosy and normal and it sounds like william loves it or he wouldn't be doing it.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Aristocracy

I think it's a great idea to have the family kitchen. Several cooks/chefs can use the exact same recipe and ingredients and have the results taste very differently. William and Catherine may want to have their favorites cooked the way they like them - not "fancied up" by a chef.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why on earth people are speculating, at great length and depth, about the Cambridges kitchen. The in-depth psychoanalysis is unbelieveable.

Folks, as several posters have pointed out, not everything William and Catherine do is a direct consequence of William's mother who has been dead for more than half his life. And, sometimes, a kitchen is just a kitchen.

Now having said that, can we all whip over to the thread covering the homes of the Cambridges and let this thread return to it's stated purpose, namely Social Norms: Diana and staff, which not surprisingly, does not include William and Catherine's psychotic kitchen?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Now having said that, can we all whip over to the thread covering the homes of the Cambridges and let this thread return to it's stated purpose, namely Social Norms: Diana and staff, which not surprisingly, does not include William and Catherine's psychotic kitchen?
Awww geeez. Guess we'll never get to the topic of "will Lupo be allowed table scraps or not?"
Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Awww geeez. Guess we'll never get to the topic of "will Lupo be allowed table scraps or not?"
Now that I think about it, I don't recall reading whether Diana had any dogs.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Now that I think about it, I don't recall reading whether Diana had any dogs.
In Diana, Sarah Bradford wrote:
There were lots of live animals: Johnnie's black Labrador gun dog, Jill the springer spaniel, Diana's bad-tempered cat Marmalade, and her collection of hamsters, rabbits and guinea pigs. 'She loved animals when she was a child,' her mother said.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I must admit something, I've always felt it was a little sad that Diana couldn't have long standing friendships and she instead had to confide in her staff like Paul Burrell. I wonder if she knew some of the staff could not be trusted and would leak stories and she thought Paul wasn't like that.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why on earth people are speculating, at great length and depth, about the Cambridges kitchen. The in-depth psychoanalysis is unbelieveable.

Folks, as several posters have pointed out, not everything William and Catherine do is a direct consequence of William's mother who has been dead for more than half his life. And, sometimes, a kitchen is just a kitchen.

Hahahahaha! Slow day...
Old 07-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I find it sad as well. I don't think that she had a great instinct about people. She could communicate well with people outside her private life; i.e. the people that she was helping. However, she seemed to have trouble having close, trusting relationships with people who could have helped her. Anyone who didn't agree with whatever she was doing was frozen out, either temporarily or permanently. She seems to have never learned that those who gossip can't be trusted with secrets and that those who are overwhelmingly eager to become friends often have selfish reasons for doing so. I think there were definitely "boundary" issues with her staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I must admit something, I've always felt it was a little sad that Diana couldn't have long standing friendships and she instead had to confide in her staff like Paul Burrell. I wonder if she knew some of the staff could not be trusted and would leak stories and she thought Paul wasn't like that.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness

An immediate consequence of the separation of the two households was the division of the staff. At Kensington Palace the charming, loyal and discreet head butler, Harold Brown, remained with the Princess; the Highgrove butler, Paul Burrell, was assigned to Kensington Palace against his wishes. With his wife, Maria, and two sons, Burrell was happy in his cottage on the Highgrove estate and was extremely unwilling to be transferred to the Princess's service.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder whether Diana wanted him with her or if it was a case that Charles didn't want him around? If so, I can't blame the Prince for that.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

An immediate consequence of the separation of the two households was the division of the staff. At Kensington Palace the charming, loyal and discreet head butler, Harold Brown, remained with the Princess; the Highgrove butler, Paul Burrell, was assigned to Kensington Palace against his wishes. With his wife, Maria, and two sons, Burrell was happy in his cottage on the Highgrove estate and was extremely unwilling to be transferred to the Princess's service.
I wonder how accurate that could be? Didn't he profess to be her rock and carry on about his loyalty and what not?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

A truly loyal person doesn't go on and on about how loyal he is.

Tags
class system, diana princess of wales, princess diana, staff