The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

What great photos! I love the naughty one - and you know that Catherine got a chuckle at it as well.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Aristocracy

Interesting thread. I came because it was on the recently updated list and I'm having a lazy night with my laptop and my granny's afghan :)

But ... what I find most compelling is this:

In several other threads I have read on this site discussing Diana's eating disorders and such ... much was made of their being no evidence of them and, in particular, her claims of rampant bulimia episodes during her honeymoon.

Well, "popping into the kitchen" is certainly a sort of evidence, isn't it? I wonder if there is a correlation as this friendliness with kitchen staff seems at odds with other reports of her relationships with general staff.

Just a thought.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Nobility

I think you are right.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Royal Highness

Like in any job, the last thing you want is your boss popping over constantly to your desk poking his or her nose in! The staff in my household comprise just me and I have to say I do get rather fed up with my partner coming into the kitchen checking on dinner or stirring the pot when it doesn't need it and generally being a nuisance.
It's a tough enough job cooking in a kitchen to then have to stop everything and mind your Ps and Qs whenever a princess decides to drop in un-announced. I wonder whether Diana considered calling down first to see if it was ok.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Nobility

On the other hand it must be rather annoying not to be able to go to your kitchen when you are feeling hungry without alerting 5 different people. I could be that she didn't want to inconvenience the staff for a cup of coffee.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana didn't exactly grow up in a 3 roomed bungalow . . . Althrop didn't run itself and the lady of the house didn't "do" the cooking. From her upbringing one would surmise she was au fait with the way servants function in a house and I guess to me it seems she was just plain nosey. She's in a place where she didn't "know" about everything going on. She may have just felt out of the loop. As to wanting a cup of tea? Well I guess there are tea making facilities available in their apartment without sitting down in the kitchen making everyone nervous or over familiar and dying to hear an indiscreet word.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Courtier

I read about this incident in the first Stephen Berry book. It's been a while since I read it, but I think Mr. Berry felt Diana visited the kitchen because she was lonely. She was apparently very uncomfortable in her home and didn't feel free to invite old friends over. Charles wasn't there and she wasn't comfortable with his aides. Perhaps she felt that the kitchen staff would be friendly to her. Maybe because Althrop's staff was friendlier.

Mr. Berry described the kitchen as being a mad house, with occasional rough language, and they didn't think it was appropriate for the Princess to appear asking for an apple. They first tried to stock a small refrigerator in her suite with food, but she kept going to the kitchen anyway. The head chef apparently abruptly told her that the kitchen was "his" part of the house and pointed to "her" part of the house. She was apparently pretty upset.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that Diana was used to a more relaxed situation regarding the family and the staff. According to various descriptions of her childhood years, it was normal for her to visit the kitchen and talk to the staff. Perhaps she thought that the staff at the royal residences operated the same way. She was apparently relaxed with Stephen Barry until he walked into her bedroom one morning while she was sitting on the bed in her night-dress. I'm not sure whether it was in his own book that he mentioned this.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Nobility

Imagine not feeling like a visitor in your own home. Can not have helped with the loneliness.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana clearly didn't realise the chasm that has to exist in houses like Clarence House between the staff and the royals. It's one of the most realistic aspects of Downton Abbey funnily enough - when one of the Crawley family go downstairs to the servants' quarters, the staff become incredibly uncomfortable, almost resentful because that's 'their' part of the house where they're free to speak and act as they wish.

Branson, the former chauffeur who marries Lady Sybil, is looked upon with suspicion and even a degree of betrayal by his former colleagues. They're not comfortable with him anymore because the clearly defined boundaries have been smudged beyond recognition.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

It's classic "them and us."
Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

When the Prince and Princess of Wales started divorce negotiations, Alexandra Ligge-Bourke called herself "Tiggy in the middle".

Princess Diana said Tiggy is neither to accompany Prince William and Prince Henry in the same car nor be photographed close to the brothers.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many people close to Diana have sold her out? Is this a reflection on her judgement of people or did she just have the unfortunate fate to die before the blabber mouths?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
How many people close to Diana have sold her out? Is this a reflection on her judgement of people or did she just have the unfortunate fate to die before the blabber mouths?

Both unfortunately, but not as many people talking as there could be. Happens when popular people die they get much more famous after death and it became easier to profit off of it, especialy someone so loved... Reading books from blabber mouths it seems a good part of there stories is about how she can get close to any one, even the staff, and certainly 'high up' people (whose positions/titles were lower than hers lol) looked down on her because this. This just endearded me personally more to her even though it was private.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 AM
Heir Apparent

People have different social "mores". Think soap opera scandals and consider that most ordinary people would say "oh I couldn't say that sort of thing no matter what I thought" in real life or, when told something personal or intimate about someone they knew would either say, or think, "that's more than I ever wanted to know".

Diana seemed to have a penchant to pick gossips as her confidants. She possibly picked up the habit when she first married and was finding her way about. Whatever the reason a gossip is almost impossible to keep quiet and add to that mix the lure of money. By and large those who sold out Diana were not her social equals but rather people of more modest income and no fortune and, unfortunately, no integrity.

Money can be a great motivator.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I read about this incident in the first Stephen Berry book. It's been a while since I read it, but I think Mr. Berry felt Diana visited the kitchen because she was lonely. She was apparently very uncomfortable in her home and didn't feel free to invite old friends over. Charles wasn't there and she wasn't comfortable with his aides. Perhaps she felt that the kitchen staff would be friendly to her. Maybe because Althrop's staff was friendlier.

Mr. Berry described the kitchen as being a mad house, with occasional rough language, and they didn't think it was appropriate for the Princess to appear asking for an apple. They first tried to stock a small refrigerator in her suite with food, but she kept going to the kitchen anyway. The head chef apparently abruptly told her that the kitchen was "his" part of the house and pointed to "her" part of the house. She was apparently pretty upset.
When I read that William and Catherine added a family kitchen to their KP apartment I wondered if this was William's wish because of his mother's reported problems/being banned from the kitchen.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
When I read that William and Catherine added a family kitchen to their KP apartment I wondered if this was William's wish because of his mother's reported problems/being banned from the kitchen.
I really think it might be indirectly related to Diana and I know both of the boys were very close to her but I'm more inclined to think the family kitchen is probably stemming from the Middleton family closeness and family meals. I don't think Diana's family had that kind of closeness and I think she would have loved to have that kind of thing with her family.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Courtier

Plus we know that Kate enjoys cooking so it makes sense that she would want cook for Will and George which is easier to do at the family kitchen. I would think the other kitchen maybe more bigger/industrial to handle feeding more people.

The White House has the same thing- a family kitchen in the private residence even though their are chefs standing by to cook whatever they want , sometimes they want to do it themselves.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Courtier

I think the notoriously private William is keeping the number of staff to a minimum because of the tell-all books that have been written by his mother's (and father's) former staff. One of the reasons he is so close to the Middletons is that he found he can relax in their home without worrying that someone is going to publish his or her memory of what he did or said on a certain date.

Both Diana and Charles have been betrayed by their staff. IIRC, even the Queen was betrayed (I think her nanny published a book). Few of us could withstand scrutiny if someone publicized things we did in private. The main motive is money. But I think that in Diana's case, some of her staff rationalize that they are protecting her because she no longer has a voice.

Regardless of the reason, it has been inappropriate because Diana did not intend for her staff to discuss private details of her life or speak for her at all. She did enough of that on her own. She choose what she wanted revealed (and reveal about others). Now that her sons are grown, there is no excuse for any new books by staff. If her image needs protecting, William and Harry are more than capable of doing it.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Plus we know that Kate enjoys cooking so it makes sense that she would want cook for Will and George which is easier to do at the family kitchen. I would think the other kitchen maybe more bigger/industrial to handle feeding more people.

The White House has the same thing- a family kitchen in the private residence even though their are chefs standing by to cook whatever they want , sometimes they want to do it themselves.

I also remember Michelle Obama in an interview saying having that private kitchen was wonderful for the girls because not only did they learn how to cook, but to do it w/out the Kitchen Staff watching their every move. I also remember when the Interviewer (I'm thinking it was Oprah, but not entirely sure) expressed shock over that and that the Girls did their own laundry because, "But you're the First Family living in the White House!!" Mrs. Obama answered that they wouldn't be that forever and the girls were going to know how to stand on their own two feet when their time in the White House came to an end.

I think the Family Kitchen going into KP is due to many factors...Kate loving to cook and wanting to do so for her Family in a cozy easy to use place, a place to go to if the munchies hit or a dire need for a cuppa happens and they can do it themselves w/out throwing the routine of the main kitchen off, William seeing what a Family Kitchen can give to a Family when visiting the Middletons, but I also think seeing what his Mother had to deal w/at times w/the Staff and all the leaks that came w/it has a huge factor as well. I think it also explains why he and Kate are trying to keep their Staff as bare bones as possible far better than the "Wanting to be as much like regular everyday people." line does.

If they aren't there, then there aren't possible moles into KP the Papers could use to their own purposes after all. Another sad lesson from watching what happened during those years.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Tags
class system, diana princess of wales, princess diana, staff