Run-up to the inquest into Diana's death

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I could never understand why they didn't stay put. Equally, why not just come out, smile and wave and let them take a few snaps? There is nothing so terrible about being photographed, and they didn't seem to mind earlier. Two safe and simple ways of dealing with the situation.

And the recorded videos of the Ritz showed a sad Diana, really tired of this fuss and being followed by the paparazzi. When you're in that state of mind, I don't think you want to wave and let them take picture to make the front page the next morning saying : "Diana, unhappy with Al Fayed son" or "Diana in depression".

Maybe she wasn't happy with being hustled out of the back door. Or perhaps she would have preferred to stay in the hotel.

Maybe she wasn't happy with being hustled out of the back door. Or perhaps she would have preferred to stay in the hotel.

Yes, probably. Many people who knew the princess said it couldn't be her idea to go through the back door, I think it's true. Anyway, something upset her and her mood wasn't favourable for some photo session, only my opinion though.

Yes, probably. Many people who knew the princess said it couldn't be her idea to go through the back door, I think it's true. Anyway, something upset her and her mood wasn't favourable for some photo session, only my opinion though.

Dodi unfortunately was the master mind of all the plans that were made that day. I still don't understand up to this day why they didn't stay in the hotel and wait to go to his apartment in the morning.

Dodi unfortunately was the master mind of all the plans that were made that day. I still don't understand up to this day why they didn't stay in the hotel and wait to go to his apartment in the morning.

I know. It occured to me once that maybe he had something at his apartment which he wanted but then, why not send an employee to retrieve it? Did Dodi just hate his father so much, or hate his father's control, that he wanted to get far away from the hotel anyway he could?

I know. It occured to me once that maybe he had something at his apartment which he wanted but then, why not send an employee to retrieve it? Did Dodi just hate his father so much, or hate his father's control, that he wanted to get far away from the hotel anyway he could?

I think the apartment is also Mohamed's but I'm not sure. I believe Dodi wanted to show how wealthy he was by inviting her on the Jonikal then to the Ritz after making a stop at the former house of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor in Bois de Boulogne, Paris that Al Fayed had bought. It was to impress her but she was probably sick of doing all these stops here and there, maybe it's why she looked unhappy leaving the Hotel. Perhaps she wanted to stay here for the night but Dodi needed to show her more.

The owner of Etoiles Limousine is Mr Musa (who has lost his marbles by the way. He wanted to put the wrecked car in a museum or sell it ... :rolleyes:). He rented the car to Mohamed Al Fayed. It was bought second-hand in 1996, which raised some doubts on the reliability of the security of the car.

One of the books I read about Diana had claimed that Fayed himself was the owner of Etoile Limousines; whether he just owned the building where it was headquartered or was the actual owner of record of the company itself, I'm not sure.

One of the books I read about Diana had claimed that Fayed himself was the owner of Etoile Limousines; whether he just owned the building where it was headquartered or was the actual owner of record of the company itself, I'm not sure.

Yes, I remember reading something like that also but it's still not clear in my mind... No wonder everyone gets lost in this inquest! It's so thick, sometimes that I wonder how Lord Stevens didn't give up.

Pretty simple really. No smoking guns leading to mysterious secret agents or the Duke of Edinburgh here I'm afraid; instead the culpability for all (dis)arrangements can be laid squarely on Mr Al Fayed himself. Is it any wonder he is so determined to point the finger elsewhere?

You simply can't expect any individual to be in charge of every single little minute detail of events in another country. This is especially true if others are intent on changing those events and plans. Dodi's dad may be controlling, but he's not a magician.

Even so, Al Fayed claimed to tell Dodi to stay put at the Ritz on that night, and for some reason Dodi didn't listen to him. Why not? Did he usually do exactly what his dad told him to do? Very strange since most 30-something children don't let their parents run their lives to that extent.

As Prince Harry said, we'll never know what happened in the tunnel that night -- at least not with the current evidence. To insist otherwise betrays ones bias.

Dodi unfortunately was the master mind of all the plans that were made that day.

Maybe it wasn't in Dodi personality to be the master mind of anything. He seemed to let others make all his decisions for him. Otherwise, why would his dad just presume to tell him to stay put at the Ritz?

I imagine Dodi made a good bit of his own money and had a lot of bones to pick with his father. But if al-Fayed advised him to stay at the hotel just for the night, to rest there and start anew and fresh in the morning, he should have listened. There were red flags all over the situation and no reason why he or Diana couldn't see them, yet they chose to ignore them for whatever reason. As the TheTruth pointed out, they were no doubt exhausted after a long day of running about, and they had full tummies and the effects of champagne. They needed sleep, not more hassle.

Maybe it wasn't in Dodi personality to be the master mind of anything. He seemed to let others make all his decisions for him. Otherwise, why would his dad just presume to tell him to stay put at the Ritz?

From what Trevor Reese Jones and another bodyguard have stated Dodi made all the plans that day and instead of having a car following behind them he chose to only have one bodyguard travel with him and the Princess to his apartment.

From what Trevor Reese Jones and another bodyguard have stated Dodi made all the plans that day and instead of having a car following behind them he chose to only have one bodyguard travel with him and the Princess to his apartment.
The Paget Report tries to get to the bottom of this, but there are conflicting statements: "Mohamed Al-Fayed was kept informed" (p209). An officer of the Park Lane Control Room, which monitored and controlled the movements of Al Fayed family members, said "Mr Al Fayed and his son dealt with it" (p223) but this was denied by Mohamed (p224); Henri Paul advised Kes Wingfield, Head of Family Security, that Mohamed had approved the changed plan (p228); Henri Paul advised a Ritz security person that Mohamed "had given the plan his blessing" (p233), and Dodi himself told Kes Wingfield "all has been okayed by my father" just as he and Diana were about to leave the Ritz (also p233).

Maybe people are ducking for cover, maybe Dodi chose Henri Paul to be the driver and made all the last-minute decisions, and maybe Mohamed was kept in the dark by his Head of Security who had expressed reservations about the last-minute changes. More likely we'll never know with absolute certainty who made (and/or approved) these decisions, and why they did so.

I believe that this strange ring was the reason. From the report of Operation Paget I got the feeling that Mohammed wanted Dodi to force Diana's hand. IMHO Mohammed decided that Dodi needed something to present to the public (whoever that may have been for Mohammed, maybe just the family or business acquaintances) after his holiday with Diana. We "know" from Burrell that Diana did not want to get a ring from Dodi, she did not want to take anything that could be presented in the public as commitment to Dodi. Probably she wanted to annoy the RF and Hasnat Khan but she didn't want to be presented as the future Mrs. Al-Fayed either.

So just recall their situation that night. They wanted to spent the evening having dinner at a posh restaurant in the Bastille area of Paris and then back to Dodi's place where he kept the ring. But they couldn't get there due to the paparazzi, so they took refuge at the Ritz, which is half way between Arc de Triomphe and Bastille (IMHO they should have taken the metro, but then....;)). Mohammed claimed to have told Dodi to stay there for the night but who knows if this is true? He could have OTOH inisted they go back to Dodi's apartment because of the ring. Both Mohammed and Dodi must by now have realised that Diana was somehow reluctant to accept a ring but dined and wined enough and looking forward to returning to London, she might have taken it none-the-less. So Dodi only had to make sure she didn't give it back the next morning et voilà. I bet the media would have waited in London knowing about the ring already...

But this couldn't happen in the Ritz, the privacy of Dodi's apartment was needed. Hence the strange occurence of the suite at the Ritz: in the morning, when Dodi and Diana first came to the Ritz, they were told that they had no suite available, so they had to go to his apartment, but in the evening a suite was free to enable them to have a private dinner. I guess Diana did notice that, too! Maybe that's why she was upset: she didn't want to go back to the apartment but Dodi (and probably his father) insisted. She probably realised something about a ring would be coming and didn't want it. But when Dodi insisted enough, she said okay.

Just my opinion, but somehow that makes more sense to me than other explanations.

And now Mohammed does not want to tell, that he was the one to insisting on the nightly trip through Paris.

Very good theory Jo, the Princess found herself in a tight spot with Dodi. But that night was so hectic and bizarre, I also believe that Diana never wanted to marry Dodi maybe thats why she looked a bit upset entering the ritz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if Jo's theory is correct, then Diana had a very weak character, didn't she? How can you force someone to take a ring? How can you force someone to go riding through an episode like that? Some people would sleep in a single room (for just one night, and at the Ritz it can't be so bad) if there are no suites available. So if this theory is right, then Diana was weak and quite stupid. I'm sorry to be harsh, but there is no other explanation if that theory is right.

Well if this theory is true I must also agree with you CasairaghiTrio.

I believe that this strange ring was the reason.
Yes, it makes sense but if Diana didn't want to be force, she would have made him know. My opinion is that he wanted to show her his magnificent apartment with or without a ring waiting. Returning to London, I don't think she would have continued her story with Dodi. She didn't want to be seen as an "object" that would increase Mr Al-Fayed popularity and fortune. I truly think he used her to create a good image of himself, for people to like him. She was like a jewel to add to his crown. I believe she realized it during those holidays, in particular when she knew Mohamed was phoning Dodi non-stop to tell him what to do with her ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it makes sense but if Diana didn't want to be force, she would have made him know.

I'm not so sure about that. They had a relationship, he had spent time and money to be with her and I think she was not so much stupid as polite in going along with it. Maybe she thought: I have just to "endure" this night and in London I'm going to say good-bye and we part as friends. But as long as she was with him (and in a way on his mercy in Paris - she couldn't well make a scene there, with all the paps around) she had to hold up appearances and go along with it.

That was not stupid, IMHO, but understandible if you consider her options and the position she potentially would have brought herself into on not going along with Dodi.

Unbelievable!

Le Figaro has reported that a metre-wide file containing thousands of original documents and photos about the death of Diana has vanished from the Paris court archives. (The Guardian).

Reportedly, copies exist; however originals are needed for legal purposes.

Methinks they need to call for Inspector Clouseau!

Wait this file has just vanished out of thin air?

Unbelievable!

Le Figaro has reported that a metre-wide file containing thousands of original documents and photos about the death of Diana has vanished from the Paris court archives. (The Guardian).

Reportedly, copies exist; however originals are needed for legal purposes.

Methinks they need to call for Inspector Clouseau!

Here's some information taken from Le figaro website (translated by myself)

It's a whole file made of thousands of pages, pictures, analysis, that simply vanished. This discovery was made by M. Jean-Louis Pelletier, lawyer of Fabrice Chassery, a paparazzi present when the accident occured. He says :

"When I wanted to consult the original file, a month ago, they told me it couldn't be found. It's the first time I see that. There are some files that disappear sometimes but, in this case, that exceptional. All the more, there's still an investigation going on."

After many verifications in every possible place it could be, there's no sign of this file ...

Although, Yahoo! France said the justice made a statement to deny this information, they said the file was here, in the palace of justice in Paris.

Last edited:
http://www.rumormillnews.com/DIANA%20WAS%20NOT%20THE%20TARGET.htm

This is an interesting article from the Rumormill -- a little too complicated for me to follow though. It says Diana and Dodi first hooked up in November of 1996. It would seem if Diana's father and M al Fayed were best friends for over 10 years that Diana would have met Dodi sooner?

The MI-6 document seized by Vienna police and published in the London Mirror reads in full as follows:
CLASS: TOP SECRET REPORT NO: 00.D 831/173466-97 COUNTRY: France DATE DISTR: 17 June 1997 SUBJECT: File overview: Diana Princess Of Wales-Dodi REFERENCES DCI Case 64376 SOURCE: CASParis/CASLondon/COSGeneva/CASKingston/ UK citizen Ken Etheridge. 1. Relationship initiated between Diana POW and Dodi aF according to reliable intel sources in November 1996. Intimacy begins shortly after they meet. (Report filed) 2. Reliable source reports Palace seriously disturbed by liaison. PM considers any al Fayed relationship politically disastrous. Edinburgh (Prince Phillip -ed) sees serious threat to dynasty should relationship endure. Quote reported: ““Such an affair is racially and morally repugnant and no son of a bedouin camel trader is fit for the mother of a future king,”” Edinburgh. (Report filed) 3. Request from highest circles to DEA attache UK for 6 on Dodi re: Cocaine. See File forwarded to UK embassy DC. (Copy filed) 4. US liaison to MI6 requested by David Spedding for assistance in providing permanent solution to Dodi problem. Blessing of Palace secured (Twiz filed) 5. WHuse (White House -ed) denies Spedding (head of MI-6 –– ed) request. Harrison authorized only to arrange meeting for MI-6 representative with K-Team Geneva. (Twiz on file) 6. Meeting in Geneva reportedly successful (Report filed) 7. al Fayed Mercedes Limo stolen and returned with electronics missing. Reliable intel source confirms K-team involved. Source reports car rebuilt to respond to external radio controls. (Report filed).

I had also heard D & D were at the very least reacquainted again sometime in Nov 1996. Didn't this meeting somehow involve an afterhours private visit of Harrod's along with the model Cindy Crawford? This "rumor" would give more creedence why the princess felt comfortable enough to accept Mohammed's invitation for a vacation. Mr. Al-Fayed was or had been recently embroiled in scandal. Diana would probably have had to have some very strong incentive to entice her aboard Mr. Al-Fayed's yacht. This action, at the time, had Dickie Arbiter calling her "mad" and others scratching their brows wondering what would make Diana accept such an invitation.

D&D had met each other at various events including polo and the London premeir of "Hook".

What is also a "rumor" is that the "Diana death car" was supposedly misplaced in a French wrecking yard...Now how does THAT happen?

Last edited:
It was a big mistake that Scotland Yard Laid Off to protect Princess Diana

Did Kelly Fisher make a formal statement for the Stevens Report?

Kelly, along with Gloria Allred, were out there getting a lot of publicity for her pain she felt in Dodi's "dumping" of her. She was "warning" Diana to watch out for Dodi or he might break her heart also. The last time I remember seeing her on television was a comment of her saying something to the effect "If Dodi had been with me, he might still be alive."

I don't know the background, friends or associates of this woman. It is always a prudent investigation to include the interview of people who were intimate with the deceased in a reasonably close time.

Kelly could offer clues to threats or enemies of Dodi, his habits and the security around Dodi.

It was a big mistake that Scotland Yard Laid Off to protect Princess Diana

Very true. What are the benefits of the HRH title? Isn't there automatic police protection for any HRH that visits a foreign country? Was Diana deliberately manipulated into giving up her royal protection?

I've often thought the police conspired to make themselves a nuisance and intrusive so Diana would plead her case for their dismissal. People of far less status believe very basic protection is necessary. Yet I think her protection detail somehow got in the way of her "love life". Surely she aware of the nutters and the crazies who showed up at her engagements...But remember, according to PD Jepshon, Diana, around this time, was rabidly paranoid pulling up Kensington Palace carpet looking for microphones and spyware.

Remember, how Jayne Fincher made a formal complaint againt the aggressive paparazzi to Buckingham Palace? In her book, she sighs with regret that nothing constructive for Diana came from her personal complaint.

It is this "throwing Di to the wolves" that caused a lot of the outcry when her death occurred.

Last edited:
Very true. What are the benefits of the HRH title? Isn't there automatic police protection for any HRH that visits a foreign country? Was Diana deliberately manipulated into giving up her royal protection?

Diana gave up protection from scotland yard after the separation it was never taken away from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom