The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:28 PM
maryshawn's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 1,214
He has his own website?????!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I understand your feelings Sammy.
__________________

__________________
  #122  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 PM
maryshawn's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 1,214
From what I've read on this discussion--and, yes, it's been thought provoking but pleasantly so.....I think we can all agree that showing the photos of P Diana in the backseat of the car as NBC (I believe) did a year ago was just wrong! I thought an agreement had been reached between all parties and the media that no photos of a dying Princess would ever be published. And yet there they were on this "investigation" led by a reporter who was just out for the ratings (and, yes, it was broadcast during "sweeps" when the media gets its score on who is being watched by more people......). I didn't realize there would be photos and didn't even know there was a program on it till I happened upon it while changing channels. I was repulsed and offended and I can't tell you much more about the show because I turned it off. Now, who, apart from the network broadcasting it, "wins" with such garbage? I don't know if anyone else caught it or what your thoughts are if you saw it. But I can honestly say I was dumfounded when the two photos were shown of P Diana slumped in the back of the car--and, yes, her face could be clearly seen! Revolting! [QUOTE=ysbel]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio

CasiraghiTrio (I love the name BTW) when investigative agencies do their job properly, they disrupt the lives of a lot of people. For that reason, its irresponsible (and in some cases criminal) for them to open an investigation without just cause and that usually means relevant and reliable evidence.
__________________

__________________
  #123  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
he said he felt she was extremely interested in everything he had to say and had a way of fixing her gaze on one which was so compelling and memorable.
Thankyou for your story! I loved reading it. The present Queen has a distinct way of dealing with the public. When she speaks, she repeats the answer people give her. For example;

HM : And what do you do?
Bill : I take photographs for the company Ma'am
HM : Photographs? And are they used in a book?
Bill : In a catalogue Ma'am and we send it out all over the world
HM : How fascinating

And then she moves on. If they continue to talk once she's finished with them, she will repeat, "How fascinating" or she'll say, "Very Good" and laugh as she wanders to the next person. It's a method that means everyone feels she's taken in every word they said and it's a great way. She varies it slightly if she's shaking hands in a line up but it's a good base card to play. Generally, that dialogue lasts only 50 seconds and she spends 5 seconds shaking hands, 2 accepting the bow or curtsey and the other 2 are there in case - that way she spends a minute with each and its fair. I was told this by a former staff member of the Palace who said he was amazed at how she got away with it every time! Apparantly, she learned it from the Queen Mother.
__________________
  #124  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:29 PM
maryshawn's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 1,214
Thank you; I loved hearing stories of my grandfather's time in Great Britain, particularly the stories of the meetings with the King and Queen--and oh how he admired the present Queen for pitching in and driving lorries! He said she had "exquisite manners" but also "a real twinkle in her eye" and was easy going and obviously someone with a real sense of humor!

I love your story about how the Queen manages to go around and make people feel they have been heard when she mingles. I'm sure she learned from her mother, who was so skilled and had such a way of touching people with her words and actions and bearing. It makes sense. People go away feeling they've had a very good conversation with her because she picks up on something they are saying. What a pleasant way to handle meeting a vast number of people, yet making them feel they all matter!

I've loved the Queen Mother thanks to my grandfather but also when I heard of things she said during the war, encouraging people to keep their heads up. I don't recall exact details but when she visited a place dressed up with a pearl necklace, didn't she counter questions about her attire with a brilliant rejoinder along the lines of "well, this is how they would dress to see me were they to visit my house?" And then she said something about her humility when she was with people who had endured yet another strike which demolished many homes and taken lives. Does anyone recall her remark?

Thank you for this. It's fascinating!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Thankyou for your story! I loved reading it. The present Queen has a distinct way of dealing with the public. When she speaks, she repeats the answer people give her. For example;

HM : And what do you do?
Bill : I take photographs for the company Ma'am
HM : Photographs? And are they used in a book?
Bill : In a catalogue Ma'am and we send it out all over the world
HM : How fascinating

And then she moves on. If they continue to talk once she's finished with them, she will repeat, "How fascinating" or she'll say, "Very Good" and laugh as she wanders to the next person. It's a method that means everyone feels she's taken in every word they said and it's a great way. She varies it slightly if she's shaking hands in a line up but it's a good base card to play. Generally, that dialogue lasts only 50 seconds and she spends 5 seconds shaking hands, 2 accepting the bow or curtsey and the other 2 are there in case - that way she spends a minute with each and its fair. I was told this by a former staff member of the Palace who said he was amazed at how she got away with it every time! Apparantly, she learned it from the Queen Mother.
__________________
  #125  
Old 10-26-2005, 09:25 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
And then she said something about her humility when she was with people who had endured yet another strike which demolished many homes and taken lives. Does anyone recall her remark?
I think that was when she said, "Well, I can now look the East-End in the Face" or words to that effect. Of the Royals I've met, I've always got butterflies and it's something that takes a while for you to come down. They make you feel as if they have only come to see you and they look you straight in the eye and make direct contact - it's inspirational really.
__________________
  #126  
Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
These two groups of people are filling a need in each other, and I don't think this is going to stop any time soon.
As one of Diana's staunchest supporters, I have never supported a conspiracy theory. As of yet, I have seen no conclusive evidence to suggest such a thing. While I have said I wouldn't put it past the MI5, there still is no proof.

I also want to correct what Diana's name was at her death. She is being constantly being referred to as Diana Spencer, as if to erase that she was once a member of the Royal Family. At the inquest, Her name was read out to be Diana Frances Mountbatten-Windsor. If we wish to be techincal, they could have added, "nee Spencer" to it, but her last name was Mountbatten-Windsor at the time of her death despite the divorce. She was not stripped of the surname.
__________________
  #127  
Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
I also want to correct what Diana's name was at her death
She lost her titles on divorce, the Princess of Wales part she used was by personal choice. She would have lost it when Charles married Camilla. To me, she was no longer Royal when she died and therefore her name was Diana Spencer and that is how I shall refer to her.
__________________
  #128  
Old 10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
She lost her titles on divorce, the Princess of Wales part she used was by personal choice. She would have lost it when Charles married Camilla. To me, she was no longer Royal when she died and therefore her name was Diana Spencer and that is how I shall refer to her.
That does not make it correct. One must stick to the facts, not conveniently throw out what one doesn't like. A woman does not lose her married name upon divorce unless she chooses to relinquish it or remarries herself.
__________________
  #129  
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
That does not make it correct. One must stick to the facts, not conveniently throw out what one doesn't like.
She betrayed the family and she had no right to bear the family name or any other titles. It was a charade for her to use the title Princess of Wales in the way she did and it's a charade that Camilla doesn't use the title Princess of Wales.
__________________
  #130  
Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,352
Enough!

I am declaring a cease-fire and will now clear the field of wounded and deceased posts.

Warren
British Forums Moderator
__________________
  #131  
Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
You can just can't leave it alone can you?
As as has been stated before, I have a right to my opinion and I will fight for my opinion. I will not back down from what I truly feel in my mind and heart.

Again, let us get back to Diana!!


Sorry Warren, I posted before I saw your post. I apologize to you.
__________________
  #132  
Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 PM
maryshawn's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 1,214
That's the quote! I think you have it exactly! It was said she won the hearts of all East enders and the British public--and many in the world--with that remark! I have the feeling I would be rendered incapable of speaking were I to come face to face with the Queen. Although she likely runs into a lot of people like me who would start just stammering or be rendered mute!:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I think that was when she said, "Well, I can now look the East-End in the Face" or words to that effect. Of the Royals I've met, I've always got butterflies and it's something that takes a while for you to come down. They make you feel as if they have only come to see you and they look you straight in the eye and make direct contact - it's inspirational really.
__________________
  #133  
Old 10-26-2005, 12:14 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
Although she likely runs into a lot of people like me who would start just stammering or be rendered mute!
Lol. I thought I'd freeze and I had a big fear that I'd curtsey. Some men do, because they are in a line-up of ladies who curtsey and they are so overcome that they bob. Thank God I didn't but it's all a bit unreal.
__________________
  #134  
Old 10-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Noelle9982's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 104
I feel like Paul Burrell's fifteen minutes of fame is up and has been for quite some time.

I really don't think Charles wanted anything but to be with Camilla from the beginning. He had his divorce and he had to have known that Diana's death only would have sealed her fate as an icon, a legend thus greatening the divide between Diana supporters vs. Charles supporters even more. It just doesn't make sense to me.
__________________
Noelle

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." ~Coco Chanel
  #135  
Old 10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
maryshawn's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 1,214
Curtsey? I hadn't even thought of that. I'd fall over. I can't remember which celebrity tried to curtsey to the Queen once and was shaking so hard, I think the Queen had to grip her hand hard and pull her up! This was about ten years ago and I still remember thinking "that's what I'd do!" Margaret Trudeau has a similar story about the Queen and how she tried to execute a lovely, deep curtsey when they met, and froze. She said the smile on the Queen's face never wavered; she just stiffened her grip and helped Margaret rise up....I thought that was a cute story!:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Lol. I thought I'd freeze and I had a big fear that I'd curtsey. Some men do, because they are in a line-up of ladies who curtsey and they are so overcome that they bob. Thank God I didn't but it's all a bit unreal.
__________________
  #136  
Old 10-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
She lost her titles on divorce, the Princess of Wales part she used was by personal choice. She would have lost it when Charles married Camilla. To me, she was no longer Royal when she died and therefore her name was Diana Spencer and that is how I shall refer to her.
She may not have been royal, but she wasn't Diana Spencer. When Wallis Simpson was about to marry the Duke of Windsor, she decided to change her name back to Warfield (her maiden name) and had to take legal steps to do so. I think it would be appropriate to call people by their correct names on this board, and Diana's correct name after her divorce was Diana, Princess of Wales. Just calling her Diana is also fine. Princess Diana is at least OK since she was a princess and "Diana, Princess of Wales" is a bit cunbersome. Calling her Diana Spencer is not. It's simply confusing unless you happen to be referring to her before marriage.
__________________
  #137  
Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
She may not have been royal, but she wasn't Diana Spencer. When Wallis Simpson was about to marry the Duke of Windsor, she decided to change her name back to Warfield (her maiden name) and had to take legal steps to do so. I think it would be appropriate to call people by their correct names on this board, and Diana's correct name after her divorce was Diana, Princess of Wales. Just calling her Diana is also fine. Calling her Diana Spencer is not.
Thank you Elspeth.
__________________
  #138  
Old 10-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
You're welcome. The same goes, by the way, for people who think that Camilla isn't fit to be a member of the royal family and refer to her as Camilla Parker Bowles.
__________________
  #139  
Old 10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Noelle9982's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 104
Camilla's official title now is Camilla, Dutchess of Cornwall, correct?
__________________
Noelle

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." ~Coco Chanel
  #140  
Old 10-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
It's HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, as far as I know. She's also Princess of Wales, of course, but since she's chosen not to use the title, there's no reason for us to do so either when referring to her in general conversation.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, inquest, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did the Queen act appropriately in the days following Diana's death? Duchess Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 528 09-09-2011 10:49 AM
The Diana Inquest: October 2007 - April 2008 sirhon11234 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 1611 04-08-2008 01:35 PM
New books marking the tenth anniversary of Diana's death Hendrik-Jan77 Royal Library 82 10-03-2007 11:12 AM
Well-run Royal Family Freedom Royal Life and Lifestyle 61 10-24-2006 05:38 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman palace pom pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]