The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #741  
Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charleston, SC, United States
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Look, the fact is that this inquest was demanded by those obssessed with conspiracy theories and to shut them up, the British Government gave the go ahead.
I don't understand why you keep saying that. By law, the death of a British citizen on foreign soil requires an inquest, doesn't it? It wasn't a matter of giving into the demands of conspiracy theorists, but of following the same law that would apply to any British citizen in the same situation. Should the laws requiring such an inquest have been disregarded because it was Diana?

Granted, the investigation was extensive, but Al Fayed levied some serious accusations against a lot of people, including Prince Philip. Is it not better than the investigators examined every one of his claims and disproved them in the process? Isn't Prince Philip entitled to having his name officially cleared?
__________________

  #742  
Old 01-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charleston, SC, United States
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
No Jury for Diana Inquest
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...247461,00.html

this story makes me so MAD!
I don't know why you are mad...it is a lot easier, and fairer, for one woman to suspend personal bias and make an informed decision based on the evidence presented than for 12 people to do so.
__________________

  #743  
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
I keep saying that because it's true. Yes, an inquest was needed but it's turned into a 10 year saga and it's costing too much money. Prince Phillip doesn't need his name officially cleared, his name was never officially accused. He was accused by a publicity seeking moron who will say anything to get under the skin of the establishment which refuses him a British passport. Anyone with half a head knows Prince Philip is innocent and it's ridiculous to even entertain claims to the contrary.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #744  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charleston, SC, United States
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I keep saying that because it's true. Yes, an inquest was needed but it's turned into a 10 year saga and it's costing too much money. Prince Phillip doesn't need his name officially cleared, his name was never officially accused. He was accused by a publicity seeking moron who will say anything to get under the skin of the establishment which refuses him a British passport. Anyone with half a head knows Prince Philip is innocent and it's ridiculous to even entertain claims to the contrary.
I thought an inquest was required, not just needed? Isn't that the law in Britain?

So, and I'm not arguing here, I'm simply curious-you think it would have been better to just follow the letter of the law and hold an inquest to establish Diana's cause of death and not investigate all the other factors?

I thought the British inquest took so long to happen because of Al Fayed's civil suits in France?

Of course, Prince Philip is innocent-I wasn't suggesting otherwise. But, officially accused or not, the British still have the right to stand up for him and disprove the accusation, don't they?
  #745  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Needed, required - what's the difference? It has to happen and thats that. I think it would have been best to do all they're doing now in 1997/98 and end it then instead of dragging it on and on for 10 years which is painful for the Royal Family and costly to the British people.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #746  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:41 PM
corazon's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: -In some dark place-, Argentina
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Besides, since Princess Diana was still considered a member of the Royal Family, the jury should have consisted of the members of the Royal Household and that would not be a very good idea, imo.

why? thw members of the royal family are people like al the others in the UK, diana die in paris, and the briritsh justice investigated her death, but I think is a obligation of the british justice do a investigation until the end
__________________
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
  #747  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
No, members of the Royal Family are not people like all the others in the UK. They are the Royal Family. If they were like all the rest, they'd be plain members of the public and the situation would be totally different. You can't drop the fact that the Royal Family are the Royal Family because it suits your argument. Nobody objects to justice, nobody objects to inquests - but they do object to the endless courtroom saga that is costing the British people millions when most British people really don't see a need for investigation after investigation. And the British Judiciary is not obliged to do anything. It does what it considers it has to do but there has to come a point when we say, "We have enough to say what happened" and end it.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #748  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charleston, SC, United States
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Needed, required - what's the difference? It has to happen and thats that. I think it would have been best to do all they're doing now in 1997/98 and end it then instead of dragging it on and on for 10 years which is painful for the Royal Family and costly to the British people.
Well, 'needed' implies there was some mystery surrounding the accident-which there really wasn't, except in the minds of conspiracy theorists. 'Required' means the British government was restricted, by law, to go forward with the inquest, needed or not.

I was under the impression that the British inquest was held by Al Fayed's civil suits, not to mention the French investigation, which demanded the evidence remain in France. Hard to investigate a case if the evidence is in another country.
  #749  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
An inquest is required by law. Therefore it needs to be done. Anyway, that's semantics. The fact remains that investigations cost money and Britain can't afford a couple of million each year on something that's really to silence the fanatics.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #750  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
why? thw members of the royal family are people like al the others in the UK, diana die in paris, and the briritsh justice investigated her death, but I think is a obligation of the british justice do a investigation until the end
I did not voice my desire/opinion that the jury should have consisted of the members of the Royal Household, I just stated a fact.
19th century law states that a jury, hearing an inquest into the death of a member of the Royal Family, must be chosen only from members of the Royal Household.
At the time of her death Diana was still considered member of the Royal Family and was mother of British Princes.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #751  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I did not voice my desire/opinion that the jury should have consisted of the members of the Royal Household, I just stated a fact.
19th century law states that a jury, hearing an inquest into the death of a member of the Royal Family, must be chosen only from members of the Royal Household.
At the time of her death Diana was still considered member of the Royal Family and was mother of British Princes.
It absolutely made sense back then to keep things under the carpet, so to speak. But nowadays, especially as the whole inquest is going public anyway, there is no real sense in that anymore.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #752  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Well what was to be kept under the carpet?
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #753  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
It absolutely made sense back then to keep things under the carpet, so to speak. But nowadays, especially as the whole inquest is going public anyway, there is no real sense in that anymore.
I completely agree Jo.
Anyway, we now know for certain there will be jury at all.
And personally I welcome that decision: any jury, especially 'people's' jury, would be prejudiced, imo.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #754  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well what was to be kept under the carpet?
Whatever could have happened to a Royal who died so an inquest was necessary. I recall the story of a Danish king who died on his way home to Denmark in a Hamburg brothel... (not sure if it is truth or myth). Now, if I had to do an inquest into this death, I would wish only members of the Royal household to know about the details...
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #755  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
corazon's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: -In some dark place-, Argentina
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
At the time of her death Diana was still considered member of the Royal Family and was mother of British Princes.
that is a very controvertial point, she was member of the royal family because she was the mother of the future king but in the facts she was alone when she die.
again, is a very controvertial point
__________________
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
  #756  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:55 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
19th century law states that a jury, hearing an inquest into the death of a member of the Royal Family, must be chosen only from members of the Royal Household.
At the time of her death Diana was still considered member of the Royal Family and was mother of British Princes.
Avalon, could you provide the actual wording (or a link) to the pertinent part of that law? I've also heard about it and that it was the reason. However, I was under the impression that the law applied in this case, not necessarily because she was a member of the Royal Family, but because her body had been brought to a royal location. In that interpretation, anyone in the same situation, royal or not, would require a jury of Royal Household members.
__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
  #757  
Old 01-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I see no reason to be mad. This was a perfectly wise decision to make: the jury must consist of people, who do not have prejudiced idea of the case and where would you find 12 people, who don't have a strong opinion about that tragic accident?
I agree, they would have been hard put to find anyone without a strong opinion.
  #758  
Old 01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Avalon, could you provide the actual wording (or a link) to the pertinent part of that law? I've also heard about it and that it was the reason. However, I was under the impression that the law applied in this case, not necessarily because she was a member of the Royal Family, but because her body had been brought to a royal location. In that interpretation, anyone in the same situation, royal or not, would require a jury of Royal Household members.
"The royal coroner - a position which has existed since the 12th century - is responsible for inquests on people whose bodies are lying within the limits of the monarch's palaces.
There were only eight such inquests in the 20th century....
On the question of a jury at a royal inquest, the law is clear. There is no "wiggle" room.


It states: "The jurors on an inquest held by the coroner of the Queen's household shall consist of officers of that household".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6176613.stm

Perhaps it was felt that as they were not going to abide by the law and appoint officers of the Queens household, that they would not use a jury at all, thus removing one of al Fayeds chances to ask for a judicial review.
  #759  
Old 01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
Thank you, Skydragon.
So membership in the Royal Family was not a guiding factor at all.
__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
  #760  
Old 01-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,906
Thank you for providing the information, Skydragon!
I was struggling to find the law, however it appears that selrahc4 was right and it was the case of how and where was Diana buried, not who she was (member of the Royal Family).
__________________

__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Closed Thread

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, inquest, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Well-Run Royal Family Freedom Royal Life and Lifestyle 63 01-01-2015 08:11 PM
Did the Queen act appropriately in the days following Diana's death? Duchess Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 528 09-09-2011 11:49 AM
The Diana Inquest: October 2007 - April 2008 sirhon11234 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 1611 04-08-2008 02:35 PM
New books marking the tenth anniversary of Diana's death Hendrik-Jan77 Royal Library 82 10-03-2007 12:12 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week president nieto; state visit prince alexander of sweden prince bernhard prince charles prince joachim princess eugenie fashion princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sonja state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises