Run-up to the inquest into Diana's death

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly georgia. The photographers got off scot free. They didn't recieve any type of punishment that I know of, of their involvement in the crash. Had they not persued that mercedes. Three people would still be alive today.

georgiea said:
I am happy about the jury. Good for you Mr. al Fayed! Even if the royal family is not to be blamed the photographers are!

All of the parties want closure to these deaths. I just wish the royal family would be left alone.

I want the photographers to pay in some way because no one can ever convince me that the reporters did not caused Diana's death. If there were not photographers Henry Paul would have not been called to service that night. A drunk driver can drive without causing an accident if he was not chased. It was the photographers that caused her death. And photographers have not learned in almost ten years not to harass royalty and celebrities. Maybe something good will come out by these deaths with new rules for reporters.:flowers:
I have to respectfully disagree. Yes, the photographers did harass, and, yes, they should be reprimanded for that. But, a camera is not a gun. Dodi and Diana could have taken the first limousine to his apartment, gotten out of the car, smiled for a few seconds for the cameras and gone inside without any further hulabaloo. There was absolutely no reason for Henri Paul to be called into service in the first place, other than Dodi becoming overexcited at the presence of the press, desiring to outdistance them and refusing to let calmer heads prevail. By all accounts, the press had fallen back to a safe distance by the time the car reached the Alma tunnel, so they posed no direct danger. For that matter, Dodi's actions that night provoked the press-they can't chase what isn't running away from them.

To put the entire blame on the press is too simplistic-there were too many people involved, making poor decisions, and behaving aggressively. All were contributing factors and equally responsible.

If this jury does find that the death was accidental, I wonder if Prince Philip will sue Fayed for defamation of character or slander. I mean, being an old-school royal he probably won't, but it'd serve Fayed right.

And speaking of people being put on the stand and forced to be witnesses - Fayed owned the hotel and the limo company and was the employer of the driver, the bodyguard, and the people in the decoy car, and it's been well documented that Dodi was phoning home for instructions about what to do that evening and that Fayed had okayed his choices. So if anyone deserves to get put on the stand and grilled about responsibility for the accident, I don't think it's Prince Philip.

Skydragon said:
Shameful that everyone seems to have forgotten her sons in their 'celebration' of Fayed getting his own way!:censored:

I totally agree Skydragon!
Everybody who think that Fayed´s ´´victory´´ is a good news, and all who approve this new inquiry, should remember what Diana´s two sons said in a statement after the end of the official inquiry.
William and Harry want an end of all inquiries, speculations... Their wish is to let her mother rest in peace. They want to go on with their lifes without reading in the press again and again rumours around the death of Diana.
I think we should respect this!
I can not understand that people who like the British Royal Family can support someone like Fayed.

Last edited:
Paul Burrell is cashing in on Diana's death with this speculative letter. Afterall, do we really *need* a letter saying the same things many people already suspect? The validity of this note is very woolly and I don't know that I am ready to accept it as gospel. The fact that Burrell waited years (YEARS!) to bring it out makes both him and the letter itself highly suspect. If he was so faithful and loyal to Diana, and if he had this letter in his posession prior to her death, why didn't he report it to authorities sooner? I understand that this was a no win situation for almost everyone involved but it's all so circumspect. I guess we will never really know the truth!

Dulce Elena said:
I guess we will never really know the truth!

Depends on what you think the truth is. A number of people recognize that this was a tragic, avoidable accident, and accept that as the truth.

Charles may take stand in Diana case

THE British judge investigating Princess Diana's death is set to decide today who will be witnesses at the inquest, raising the extraordinary possibility of members of the royal family being summoned to the stand

Charles may take stand in Diana case | The Daily Telegraph

And if they are not named as witnesses, can we expect another court battle from Fayed?

Skydragon said:
Coroner challenges Fayed's 'Diana plot' claims

Mohamed al Fayed was challenged today to produce evidence to back up his claims that his son Dodi and Diana, Princess of Wales died as the result of a plot involving the royal family.

Fayed calls for Diana inquest delay | Uk News | News | Telegraph

Now that's good news! I had started to wonder if in the UK anybody in a schizophrenic mood could announce that The Prince of Wales is trying to murder him (or has murdered one of his family) and ask that the prince is questioned about these claims in public!:bang:

Skydragon said:
Charles may take stand in Diana case

THE British judge investigating Princess Diana's death is set to decide today who will be witnesses at the inquest, raising the extraordinary possibility of members of the royal family being summoned to the stand

Charles may take stand in Diana case | The Daily Telegraph

And if they are not named as witnesses, can we expect another court battle from Fayed?

Perhaps we can expect to see Fayed being called to the witness stand to explain a few things about his employees' responsibility for the deaths.

Elspeth said:
Perhaps we can expect to see Fayed being called to the witness stand to explain a few things about his employees' responsibility for the deaths.

At which point we'll be treated to a lengthy oration about Nazi pigdogs, I'm sure.

Skydragon said:
- - - - - - - - -
All this 'man' can think of is himself and how to shift the blame away from himself and his son, both of whom caused the death of Diana, IMO.

No thought from many of the conspiracy theorists, for William or Harry and the added pain this is causing them. The Every detail will be beamed across world to an eager audience headline is sickening. I wonder if Harry will get to see it in Iraq?

Shameful that everyone seems to have forgotten her sons in their 'celebration' of Fayed getting his own way!:censored:
Funniyl enoguh we have an excellent legal system in this country and Lady Butler-Sloss' original decision had made a mockery of it.

This has nothing to do with finger-pointing and emotive arguments about William and Harry and everything to do with the High Court upholding the law.

Funnily enough we have an excellent legal system in this country
Do we? With respect, if we have such an excellent legal system why haven't certain people been arrested for selling peerages and trying to silence the BBC? If we have an excellent legal system why haven't certain people been arrested for war crimes? We don't have an excellent legal system, we have a legal system that is as open to corruption, lies and scandal as any legal system in the world. I don't believe in conspiracies, I think this Al Fayed thing is a total farce that Butler-Sloss should never have entertained but I'm afraid I don't have the same trust in our judiciary as you do Little Star.

BeatrixFan said:
Do we? With respect, if we have such an excellent legal system why haven't certain people been arrested for selling peerages and trying to silence the BBC?
There's a certain organisation known as the police. The lack of charges in the peerages issue has nothing to do with the legal system and everything to do with lack of evidence.

Moreover the injunction originated with the police who feared publishing such information would harm the investigation. Injunctions of this sort are not uncommon and are often used in cases. The fact that this is such a high-profile event has only raised eyebrows.

BeatrixFan said:
If we have an excellent legal system why haven't certain people been arrested for war crimes? We don't have an excellent legal system, we have a legal system that is as open to corruption, lies and scandal as any legal system in the world.
No system is free of corruption, to suggest so would be silly. However, corruption levels in Britain are much lower than in other countries. One only needs to visit Transparency International's site on a regular basis to see that.

BeatrixFan said:
I don't believe in conspiracies, I think this Al Fayed thing is a total farce that Butler-Sloss should never have entertained but I'm afraid I don't have the same trust in our judiciary as you do Little Star.
Conspiracy theories don't come into it. Lady Butler-Sloss' decision was illegal based on the law.

As for trust in the judiciary, I've been very privileged to have seen it functioning, up close and personal, for a great deal of time.

But surely the legal system includes the police? This inquest will use police reports won't it?

Little_star said:
Funniyl enoguh we have an excellent legal system in this country and Lady Butler-Sloss' original decision had made a mockery of it.

This has nothing to do with finger-pointing and emotive arguments about William and Harry and everything to do with the High Court upholding the law. Lady Butler-Sloss' decision was illegal based on the law
Butler Sloss acted within the law, in fact to the letter of the law. At no point in the appeal did anyone suggest otherwise.
My comments were also directed at the 'fans' and 'conspiracy theorists'.

The law and the judiciary in this country is an absolute ass, it jails people for defending themselves or their homes and releases suspected terrorists!

Last edited:
Exactly. I mean, why hasn't Al Fayed been done for slander/libel by now? Calling someone a Nazi and saying that they've murdered someone surely constitutes a felony? Then again, he seems to get away with everything doesn't he?

His accusations will have to be proven to be false before they can take action for slander/libel. Until the cause of death is established, they can't do a thing as far as I can make out, under English law.
Now afterwards......

Last edited:
As though Al Fayed were not already a laughing stock and subject of virile revulsion in his adopted country of Britian, he is well on his way(if not already) to be the subject of the same all over the world.. talk about notoriety. I wince everytime I read his name in the papers.

This is potentially quite interesting. If they find that Fayed was correct and there was a conspiracy involving Prince Philip, then I assume the next step would be to arrest the Prince and charge him with murder? I mean, the Queen may be exempt from such things, but I don't suppose anyone else is. However, if they find that Fayed was not correct and the death was due to accident, then Prince Philip can sue Fayed for defamation of character. If they find that the death was due to negligence on the part of the Ritz and Etoile employees, Fayed is ultimately responsible. And it seems to be the case that just about everyone except Fayed and a small number of Diana fans discount the notion that she was murdered by the royal family. Which means that Fayed might be playing a dangerous game here. I wonder how many people will feel sorry for him if this tactic backfires on him and he ends up being the one on the receiving end of a criminal investigation.

Well I certainly won't. I'll be there with party poppers and a bottle of Campari.

The thought of the British royal family assainating Diana is unbelivable. What would TRF gain out of killing The Princess of Wales.

What I'm more worried about is some gullible juror who believes that the only way they can pay respect to Diana is to implicate her father-in-law Prince Philip in the death. And the evidence be damned because Diana always ruled from the heart so why shouldn't the jury do the same?

ysbel said:
What I'm more worried about is some gullible juror who believes that the only way they can pay respect to Diana is to implicate her father-in-law Prince Philip in the death. And the evidence be damned because Diana always ruled from the heart so why shouldn't the jury do the same?

That's a concern...but all 12 (or however many serve on the jury) would have to agree to it, which would be tougher. The Paget report offers some fairly compelling evidence against implicating Prince Philip, as well. Laid out step by step, it would be hard to ignore the logic in the report's conclusions.

inquest could last EIGHT MONTHS

Coroner Says She May Delay Diana Inquest

After originally declaring she would be extremely reluctant to delay the inquest's start date of May 8, Baroness Elizabeth
Butler-Sloss, a retired judge overseeing the proceedings, conceded the demands of lawyers and witnesses could lead to a postponement. The inquest could last as long as eight months.

Who could afford to give up their job for that long to sit on a jury?

Skydragon said:
Diana: Fayed challenged to prove it was murder

Mohamed Fayed was today challenged to provide evidence that Princess Diana was murdered.

More about his antics!

A quote from this article: " But Mr Mansfield said there was such a mountain of new evidence to consider the hearing could not begin until October."

Where did they find all this new evidence? Why was this evidence not offered to the police for their investigation? It seems al-Fayed is trying to create a seperate state in the UK where he decides what to tell and not to tell with everyone being forced to play his puppets... I can't believe it!

FAYED PUT ON SPOT OVER DI CLAIMS

A CORONER said yesterday there was not "a shred of evidence" that Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed were murdered in a plot involving the royal family.

Why they will be looking at Diana's fears for her life, I do not know. An inquest is supposed to be based on evidence, not on what the deceased person may or may not have written or said 'in a moment of madness'. (Meant only as a commonly used expression)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom