Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

William, Harry 'saddened' by Italian photos of Diana death

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...219305/1/.html

Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Please note that posts containing edited versions of the photograph, whether posted or linked, will also be deleted.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
It doesn't matter what the speedometer was showing, they were obviously going VERY fast. Just look at the mangled wreckage, particularly the front of the Mercedes (or what's left of it).
The car was smashed up badly. However, alot of the "damage" you see, was done by EMS trying to get the passengers out of the car. Speed is very important if you are trying to reconstruct the accident to see what happened and why.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Thumbs down

I am feel really sick at the idea that the magazine published those pictures. Thanks for our moderators, who banned them from this forum.
I can understand Princes William, Harry and Charles. While there are very little chances, I certainly hope that they didn't see it. :( :(
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkycat
It's hard to know what to believe since there are so many huge questions in the crash investigation. I doubt anyone will ever know exactly what happened and as good as the investigators are they can't turn back time and know precisely what went on.

One thing is for sure: if there was a conspiracy to kill Diana, a suicide wouldn't have raised any less commotion than the accident in Paris has. Even with a note, there would still be questions years later...was it her intent, was she poisoned..if so by whom?

It's tragic that she was lost. She was young and vibrant and had so much to give. The best that we can do is remember the good work that she did, and hope that her sons carry on her legacy.
Well stated! I don't think anyone will ever really know what happened that night, except the people that unfortunately can't tell us. Anytime someone so beautiful, so young, so popular, and sooooo loved dies, especially tragically, there are always going to be conspiracy theories. Part of me believes that she was killed on purpose. But I think that's because it's easier to accept than she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, the driver was drunk and high, and they were going WAY too fast. It really is a shame that her royal detail had been dismissed. Fate is fate, when it's your time to go, it will happen no matter what the circumstances. I just feel so sorry for her two boys who will have to live the rest of their lives with all of this surrounding them.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchooker
Well stated! I don't think anyone will ever really know what happened that night, except the people that unfortunately can't tell us. Anytime someone so beautiful, so young, so popular, and sooooo loved dies, especially tragically, there are always going to be conspiracy theories. Part of me believes that she was killed on purpose. But I think that's because it's easier to accept than she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, the driver was drunk and high, and they were going WAY too fast. It really is a shame that her royal detail had been dismissed. Fate is fate, when it's your time to go, it will happen no matter what the circumstances. I just feel so sorry for her two boys who will have to live the rest of their lives with all of this surrounding them.
Let's think... Elvis Presley, 2Pac, Princess Grace of Monaco, Merlin Monroe... All of them are death but either people don't believe in their death, or believe they are conspiracy theories.
People die every day. The fact that you are young, popular doesn't secure you from the fatal end. Why is it hard to accept that they simply died? Not killed but died? Like millions of people every year.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Let's think... Elvis Presley, 2Pac, Princess Grace of Monaco, Merlin Monroe... All of them are death but either people don't believe in their death, or believe they are conspiracy theories.
People die every day. The fact that you are young, popular doesn't secure you from the fatal end. Why is it hard to accept that they simply died? Not killed but died? Like millions of people every year.
I think it's because these people are all placed so high on a pedastal, that they become almost untouchable. They become in a way invincible and we don't think that death will ever come to them. So when it does and it's tragic, people have a hard time dealing. They bring such great light to our lives, people don't want that to go away. On a deeper level, I also think it's because death is final and is the great unknown.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think it's because these people are all placed so high on a pedastal, that they become almost untouchable. They become in a way invincible and we don't think that death will ever come to them. So when it does and it's tragic, people have a hard time dealing. They bring such great light to our lives, people don't want that to go away. On a deeper level, I also think it's because death is final and is the great unknown.
I understand that, but I find it, well, stupid. Maybe the only think, in front of which we all are equal, is death.
They are not untouchable, they are mortals. I understand it's hard to assept the death of a person, you like or maybe adore (since many of them were really adored) but to look for a conspiracy in every single (at least most) case of death of such person?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Part of me believes that she was killed on purpose. But I think that's because it's easier to accept than she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, the driver was drunk and high, and they were going WAY too fast. .
This statement really disturbs me. Do you mean its easier to accuse a possibly innocent person of plotting murder - the most serious crime known to man - rather than believing that she might have been killed because she didn't wear a seat belt?

Is there any thought to the names and reputations of the ones accused in the conspiracy theories or are their names a unavoidable casualty in this all?

All in all I find it very disturbing that accusations of murder are thrown around so casually.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
This statement really disturbs me. Do you mean its easier to accuse a possibly innocent person of plotting murder - the most serious crime known to man - rather than believing that she might have been killed because she didn't wear a seat belt?

Is there any thought to the names and reputations of the ones accused in the conspiracy theories or are their names a unavoidable casualty in this all?

All in all I find it very disturbing that accusations of murder are thrown around so casually.
I've seen this argument before, in the wider context of conspiracy theories and of things like the origin of religions. Humans are characterised by higher brain function and the ability to correlate cause and effect with a fairly high degree of success; humans tend to act on intention rather than at random, and it's a basic human trait to look for causal patterns (as well as other sorts of patterns) - this is partly why superstitions are so hard to shake off.

So when some major event happens, especially a major destructive event, it's a practically automatic response for humans to look for a cause, often a cause that involves intention, as a way to explaining it because very very deep down, looking for intention-driven causes is what humans do just as a way of getting through life. The notion that this car crash was planned and that it had a cause which involved intention is just a lot easier for many people to believe than that it was a random accident - or even a not so random one when you figure in alcohol and high-speed pursuit. If you've ever wondered why conspiracy theories are so popular and so extremely hard to debunk, this goes some way to explaining it.

I know it sounds callous, but it seems to be preferable for people that something is a meaningful event, even if the meaningfulness is wholly negative, than that it's a meaningless one.

The section on Origin of Conspiracy Theories at Wikipedia says it somewhat more succesfully:

"Humans naturally respond to events or situations which have had an emotional impact upon them by trying to make sense of those events, typically in spiritual, moral, political, or scientific terms.
Events which seem to resist such interpretation—for example, because they are, in fact, unexplainable—may provoke the inquirer to look harder for a meaning, until one is reached that is capable of offering the inquirer the required emotional satisfaction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory
Old 07-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Aristocracy

Lightbulb Princess Diana Dying Photos

I was just wondering if anyone would like to voice their opinions about the photos of Princess Diana dying in Chi magazine. Did you feel angry of a magazine and book publishing a photo of the dying princess? Please talk about any opinions you may have.
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 07-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Commoner

I think it is in bad taste. The event happened a long time ago and the media should let go now. The story of Princess Diana dying has been criticised, debated, investigated and talked about on every possible medium so many times and I do not see anything new coming to light by posting a photo which stirs up P. Diana's family's emotion and hurt.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Courtier

I think it is in appaulingly bad taste and shows the paparazzi in their true colors. I feel sad for her two boys.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Aristocracy

Here is a link I found to an article about the incident.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071400749.html
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 07-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it is cruel. The magazine defended their actions by saying they thought it was tender and touching but that is rubbish. They know very well that they only used the picture to get sales and just to show that they were the first magazine to publish it. (which happens to be the very essence of paparazzi)
But this was going to far.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

I guess I'm not quite seeing what's tender and touching about a person dying in a car smash, or why an Italian magazine should be publishing photos of a British princess in France, but whatever. Their comment about "sleeping princess" is crass beyond belief.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Aristocracy

I agree with you Elspeth I believe they just wanted the money for the picture.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Reading this thread I see that some people is completely sure that it was an accident and they try to convence to others with no serious arguments. I think that we will only know an "official" version but who knows if it is the truth or not.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Aristocracy

Foto Diana, "Stupito da clamore"
Direttore "Chi" risponde a polemiche

In relazione alle polemiche esplose sulla stampa inglese dopo la pubblicazione su "Chi" della foto morente in copertina di Lady Diana, Umberto Brindani, direttore del settimanale, ha inviato un comunicato spiegando le ragioni della sua scelta.

http://www.tgcom.mediaset.it/mondo/articol...olo318898.shtml

translation:
umberto brindani, director of chi replies to what has been said about the publication of diana's last photo.
he says that through the publishing of the photo there has been an end towards the speculation of the possible existence of such a photo. he also says that these photos were public as were included as part of the official acts relating to her death by france. he also continues by saing that what has been published (the photo together with other documents) is only what he calls diritto di cronaca, like saying the right of every journalist to report news and truth (i hope i trnaslated the term correctly). he adds that although he does understand her sons and beloved ones can be hurt he does see the photo in a bad sense, as he thinks she looks delicate and has nothing wrong. he continues that the english tabloids and media should not comment as they were the first to manipulate diana by speaking about her and speculating, and entering in herprivate life (example through teh pubication of private telephone calls). he finishes by saying that mr al fayed should not attack the media when they do not speak in his favour, as he is free to say that the english royal family killed diana and does not want anyone to comment about what he is saying. moreover, the photos were part of the inquiry which conculded that diana actually died only through an accident and not for other reasons.

please note that the translation refers to what mr brindani is saying and does not in any way include my personal opinion.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Nobility

Mr. Brindani is just full of excuses, isn't he?

We all knew there was such a photo-no one was speculating about it. Just because the photo was used in the official inquiry doesn't mean it has to be published in his magazine. Of course, he has the right to report news and truth-but this isn't news-she died, we all know how she died-this photo isn't revealing anything newsworthy. It's simply done to put money in his pocket. If he knows it will hurt her sons and loved ones, then he should have the common decency to refrain from publishing it-whether she looks "delicate" to him or not is beside the point. He can point fingers all he wants at the British tabloids-but they are not the ones publishing this picture.

If those are the best excuses he could come up with, his best isn't very good. There is no excuse good enough for this-he shouldn't have done it, it was a sleazy and disturbing thing to do, and he knows it.

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, inquest, princess diana