Princess Diana's Relationship with her Stepmother, Raine Spencer

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I don't know, people aren't always bitter. There is such a thing as forgiveness and Raine struck me as the sort who wouldn't bear a grudge, especially against someone with obvious mental health issues. And living with Barbara Cartland must have prepared her for odd moments. Diana did meet with Raine weekly for lunch so I was told but since her death, Raine hasn't been forthcoming in speaking about her in public or private. Quite sad really. But you have to remember that Diana did admit to pushing Raine and at the age Raine was, it's extremely easy for injuries to last for a very long time. Raine was post-menopause which naturally means that injuries can have a bigger impact and a long-lasting effect.

I can never understand or even try to make up an excuse for why Diana pushed Raine down those stairs but looking from photos of those two in the last years of Diana's life it looks like they got past all their bad issues and became good friends. What really pissed me off was when after Diana's father died Charles Spencer threw Raine out of the mansion and had her clothes put in garbage bags and threw them down the stairs. Had I been Raine I would've slapped the tar out Charles' head but she left like a lady.

And I thought Raine was walking fine when she walked into westminster abbey for the Princess of Wales' funeral.

Maybe it was age. But there's no excuse being made up, Diana said herself that she threw her down the stairs and laughed.

Maybe it was age. But there's no excuse being made up, Diana said herself that she threw her down the stairs and laughed.

Yes I agree. But Raine is much more 'heavier' than Diana so 'threw her down' sounds not like the right term. I'd say 'push' and if it's like the 'Diana-suicide-stairs' problem, Raine might also have fallen from only 3 steps.

You are joking right? Raine is like a little bird. She does wear a bustle which makes her look big and her hair perhaps makes her look rather larger than she is but in the flesh, she's extremely delicate. Falling 3 steps or not, it's still a push. Makes me laugh that people are prepared to excuse an admitted assault.

You are joking right? Raine is like a little bird. She does wear a bustle which makes her look big and her hair perhaps makes her look rather larger than she is but in the flesh, she's extremely delicate. Falling 3 steps or not, it's still a push. Makes me laugh that people are prepared to excuse an admitted assault.

Like she admitted suicide attempt in the stairs, which was not true, like she admitted that she didn't collaborate with Morton's book, etc.

And I quote (listen to the tapes to hear it from the horses);

"My stepmother and I ended up having this row. And I pushed her down the stairs. Which gave me enormous satisfaction. My father didn't speak to me for six months"

She pushed a 60 year old woman down the stairs and then bragged about it. She admitted assault, from her own mouth, she pushed Raine down a flight of stairs. Stop defending her and making out it didn't happen when it very obviously and undeniably did happen.

And I quote (listen to the tapes to hear it from the horses);

"My stepmother and I ended up having this row. And I pushed her down the stairs. Which gave me enormous satisfaction. My father didn't speak to me for six months"

She pushed a 60 year old woman down the stairs and then bragged about it. She admitted assault, from her own mouth, she pushed Raine down a flight of stairs. Stop defending her and making out it didn't happen when it very obviously and undeniably did happen.

I'm not saying she didn't, but it seems that when she admitts having done something bad then you believe it like it's undeniable truth. But when she says something where she is on the victim 'side' (like Raine in this matter), then it becomes an absolutely doubtful declaration. I know you don't like her but you can't say that she didn't had any good sides.:flowers:

Oh I see, so she was justified in throwing an old lady down some stairs? I'm not saying she didn't have any good sides, I'm saying that her mistakes can't be covered up by sentiment. The bare-faced, naked truth is that she pushed Raine Spencer down a flight of stairs and then professed to enjoy it. No judgement, plain facts.

Oh I see, so she was justified in throwing an old lady down some stairs? I'm not saying she didn't have any good sides, I'm saying that her mistakes can't be covered up by sentiment. The bare-faced, naked truth is that she pushed Raine Spencer down a flight of stairs and then professed to enjoy it. No judgement, plain facts.

I never said it was justified. Doing such a thing is awful. What my thoughts were is that you have the views of Diana on that one but like I said, in other matters, where she's not the one who caused something you doubt what she says. How come you belive her on that one ?

Sorry Mods, delete as you like.

Last edited:
I have never denied anything I've heard Diana say herself. And I heard her say that she pushed Raine. So I believe she did - I know she did. I believe her on "this one" because there's primary evidence that she did, primary evidence that some would love to cover up because they can't see any bad in her which to me is just sad.

I have never denied anything I've heard Diana say herself. And I heard her say that she pushed Raine. So I believe she did - I know she did. I believe her on "this one" because there's primary evidence that she did, primary evidence that some would love to cover up because they can't see any bad in her which to me is just sad.

Oh okay. It's fine now with me, I just wanted to know why. But I've never said she didn't had a bad side either. No one's perfect (no, not even the Queen)

When exactly did Princess Diana push Raine down the stairs?

1989. Raine had just turned 60.

BeatrixFan How do u know Raine spencer and is she still alive ?

I remember reading the "stairs" story in a book, and I really didn't want to believe it; but then I saw her admitting to it--I think in one of the Settleton tapes--and that confirmed it. Diana lacked boundaries, to say the least.

It was written in a book I read about Diana that when her mom came to the house at Althorpe, I think it was for her brother Charles wedding, her father and stepmother ignored Frances and Diana became angry and confronted Raine about it. Raine replied,"You don't realize the amount of pain that woman caused your father", to which Diana replied,"Pain Raine? You have no idea what pain is" I think Diana was referring to the pain that Raine had caused Diana and her sisters and brother when she married Diana's father. At that point Diana pushed her down the stairs.

Last edited:
I also think that Diana's sisters and brother must have softened towards Raine as she was invited to Diana's funeral and she went.

From what I have read the sole reason for Diana disliking Raine was that she married her father....the old stepmother story.
They(the children) also resented the way she set to work to put the family finances in order which meant having to sell off some things. Probably that was why they were still able to inherit a considerable fortune after their father´s death). I believe Raine was rather badly treated and the final insult was when her mother, Barbara Cartland, wasn´t even invited to the wedding although she had always been kind to Diana and Diana´´s favourite books were hers she was said to devour them and was always given the latest to read by Barbara. The reason for not inviting her that I heard was that Diana didn´t want that overdressed "eccentric" elderly lady taking away any attention from Diana the bride....
A young woman pushing an older woman down the stairs....... well to say the least it is not "done".

The Earl at the time was not very well, you could see he was not when there was that tiny moment of confusion at the entrance to St Paul´s. I think that the snub given to Raine had to come from Diana, I don´t think that any courtier, snobbish or snide could do anything about an invitation to whom, in fact, was the bride´s step grandmother. It was very cruel, and as an admirer óf Princess Margaret I really hope that she wasn´t capable of such cruelty, as cruelty it was.

Not a Diana fan at all but long been fascinated by the relationship between these two. I must say from what I recall of the stairs story, they were speaking on the stairs and Diana shoved her away in a temper, no dramatic roll down three flights or anything. I remember an interview with Diana where she said the breakdown of her own marriage helped her to understand her stepmother better and she came to appreciate how much Raine had actually helped the Spencer family (I believe this referred to financially but I could be wrong.)

I have read that Diana, Princess of Wales was asked by her father to watch out for Raine Spencer before he died in 1992.

Also I read that after Princess Diana had the last break up with her Mother, she relied on her relationship with Raine to have a mother figure and to make her mother jealous.:flowers:

So many childhood hurts are hard to bear. Diana and Raine made peace with one another. That speaks volumes about Diana's character.

And Raine's, considering how badly Diana treated her.

So many childhood hurts are hard to bear. Diana and Raine made peace with one another. That speaks volumes about Diana's character.

princess diana admitted on video tape that she once pushed her stepmom down the stairs because she was angry that her stepmom didn't say hi to her real mom during some event. if you or me pushed an old lady down the stairs we would be kissing the pavement with a german shepard attached to our leg and handcuffed. so my question is why does princess diana have so many fans when she admitted on tape she pushed her stepmom (an old lady at that) down the stairs because she didn't say hi to her mom? :confused:

THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM WONDERING WHY ARE STILL DIANA FANS !!
Diana's step-mom did awful things to her,when her dad was in the hospital,close to Christmas time,she didn't let the children to see him,when she came into the Spencer Family,Diana and her little brother,Charles,were ignored in not in good relations with her,because,Di said in the book ''Diana-Her true story'',that ''She was always trying to replace mommy'' and she hated this feeling,so,at her brother's wedding,Diana's mom was ignored by everybody that day,that's why Diana got angry by this,is simply normal!!Is not your problem if are Diana fans or not after this situation,is not your problem why Diana threw her step-mom on the stairs!
I hope you won't think anything bad or wrong about this,but that's the way I think and what I believe in,I tell in front.
Thank you.

The familiar handwriting is touchingly girlish, a big loopy scrawl on pale blue writing paper headed with a ‘60, Coleherne Court’ address.
The tone is warm, affectionate and confiding. ‘Lucky Daddy having you,’ wrote the then Lady Diana Spencer to her supposedly loathed stepmother, Raine, ‘a million thanks for all your support and advice.’
This is one of two letters, both more than 30 years old, which were this week withdrawn from sale at JP Humbert, a Northamptonshire auction house and returned to Raine, Countess Spencer.
A wicked stepmother? No, Diana came to love 'Acid Raine' more than her real mother | Mail Online

Raine Spencer, Countess Spencer

I have see Charles and Camilla referred to as Prince George's "grandparents" many times over the past few months. If Camilla is to be classed as this, then why is Raine Spencer never referred to as the great grandmother? She was married to Princess Diana's father for 16 years until she was widowed.

I often wonder how close the connection to that part of the family is. I noticed that they are hardly ever mentioned anywhere. Its a shame that Dianas side of the family seem to be more like outcasts than anything. I wonder why there isnt more closeness.

Back
Top Bottom