Princess Diana's Godchildren and Christenings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
iowabelle said:
Camilla probably had some sort of familiarity with them through Charles. A lot of Charles' circle, like the Van Cutsems, were encouraging their relationship. I bet the Mountbatten clan was among them.

I agree with you on that Iowabelle.:rolleyes:

April 1989 Lord Downpatrick (Edward Edmund Maximilian George), the son of the Earl & Countess of St. Andrews, is christened. Princess Diana is one of the godparents. Other godparents are: Clare Stonor, Hon. Tim Knatchbull, Count Nicholas Szapary and William Worsley. The Earl of St. Andrews is the eldest son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

Photos: Tom Hustler

Attachments

• 1989 04 23.jpg
    1989 04 23.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10,257
  • 1989 04 23   a.jpg
    1989 04 23 a.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 11,133
  • 1989 04 23   d.jpg
    1989 04 23 d.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 12,305
  • 1989 04 23   t.jpg
    1989 04 23 t.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 4,622
tiaraprin said:
His title is Lord Romsey, and his last name is Knatchbull. He is the heir to the Countess of Mountbatten.

It was so sad about Lady Leonora. Camilla went to that funeral and didn't even know the family! Diana was enraged!!

Of course Camilla knew the Mountbattens!!
You seem to think that Camilla's family are some kind of Parvenu's. They have moved in society since Keppells ancestor came to England with William & Mary!! Earl Mountbatten allowed the young Charles & Camilla to use Broadlands as a rendevous (whilst actively encouraging Charles to consider his grandaughter as a bride) during their early relationship. Also, if rumour is correct & Camilla's grandmother was the daughter of Edward VII then Camilla was probably more "royal" than Mountbatten or Diana. Lets face it, Diana was also descended from a royal mistress & Camilla's ancestors were courtiers while the Spencers were still farming sheep!!!!!!!

I think most of those people in that christening picture took Charles' side in the divorce. Diana doesn't look very comfortable in those pictures. She loved children. I thought she would look happier.

Christo's Girl said:
I think most of those people in that christening picture took Charles' side in the divorce. Diana doesn't look very comfortable in those pictures. She loved children. I thought she would look happier.

What pics are you looking at? Diana looks happy in all the pictures.

In regards to Mountbatten...how manipulative to aid the Camilla relationship while pushing your granddaughter as a future wife. Makes you wonder how life would be different if Mountbatten had lived. But back to topic..any updates on any of Diana's godchildren?

speaking of baron downpatrick, is there any forum on him?
he's prince william's second cousin or third cousin?

Did anyone else notice at the christening of Prince Phillipos (first page of this thread) that all of the godmothers (Diana, Elena, Benedikte and Penelope Romsey) are wearing blue and white, the colours of the Greek flag?

Does anyone know more about this? It hardly seems coincidental!

Eliza

foiegrass said:
speaking of baron downpatrick, is there any forum on him?
he's prince william's second cousin or third cousin?
Yes, there is a Baron Downpatrick thread, here.

Could somebody please explain to me the purpose and duties of a godparent?
Thank you.

Squidgy said:
April 1989 Lord Downpatrick (Edward Edmund Maximilian George), the son of the Earl & Countess of St. Andrews, is christened. Princess Diana is one of the godparents. Other godparents are: Clare Stonor, Hon. Tim Knatchbull, Count Nicholas Szapary and William Worsley. The Earl of St. Andrews is the eldest son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

Photos: Tom Hustler

diana look so happy in the photos. I think she really want another baby, especially after princess beatrice's birth

November 1st 1981 Diana attends the christening of Nicolas Knatchbull (son of Lord & Lady Romsey), Romsey Abbey, Hampshire. The Duchess of Kent is also in the picture, as is Charles (who was a godfather). Diana is wearing the aubergine suit that she wore on Oct. 29th in Wales.

Photo: Point du Vue (no photographer credited)

June 1st 1997 Diana attends the 2nd birthday party for her god-daughter Domenica Lawson, daughter of her good friend Rosa Monckton.

Photo: Rosa Monckton

great photos, really freat! i never see before, thanks.

These children are extremely fortunate to have had her as a godmother. The photos show that, as usual, she wanted them to feel special. Are there any pictures out there of these children now?

wymanda said:
Also, if rumour is correct & Camilla's grandmother was the daughter of Edward VII then Camilla was probably more "royal" than Mountbatten or Diana.

Maybe not more royal than Mountbatten. The late Earl Mountbatten was pretty heavily and solidly royal on both sides (Battenberg/Hesse, Romanovs, Glucksburg line, etc.) great-grandchild of Queen Victoria, yada yada. ;)
But maybe Camilla is more royal than Diana, I don't know.

it was her sister Leonora she sadly died as her cancer became terminal i remeber seeing her in the newspapers poor thing shed lost all her hair too but not her charm or smile everyone loved her

the Knatchbulls i think i think she was she was very fond of little Leonora and Leonora loved Diana and when she died Diana was really upset even though she knew that Leonoras cancer was sadly terminal but i think she did get on well with the family and didnt she fuss over Leonora on the balcony hugging her rubbing her back and pointing things out for her to look at

wasent Leonora Knatchbull the little girl who died of cancer a goddaughter i thought she was

Leaonora would be 22 now idf shed lived a young woman but sadly she will always be 5 goes to show you Cancer will strike anyone from royal children to public children noone is safe poor little Leonora proved that RIP Leonora

maybe she is but she will NEVER replace Diana she was an angel averyone loved her id have loved her as a godmother she was the kindest person ever i think

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd forgotten about those pictures James - I know which ones you mean. I was surprised that Diana was asked to be a godmother - I didn't realize that she was close to the Earl of St. Andrew's.

It's hard to believe that Lord Downpatrick would be around 16 yrs old now.

Just like to point out that the colour of the (caped coat) & hat was actually purple, not black.

What about her god parents can any1 tell who were the god parents of Diana?

What about her god parents can any1 tell who were the god parents of Diana?

Diana, Princess of Wales was not given a name until about a week after her birth. Both parents were disappointed that she was not a boy.

She was christened in Sandringham church with God parents who were well-to-do commoners. Her brother, Charles born after her, and the heir had Queen Elizabeth II for God mother.

I have checked three books that I have on Princess Diana and this is all I could find on her God parents.:flowers:

God parents respond to questions on behalf of a baby during a christening. They pray for the child and ensure that they recieve appropriate sacrements as they grow up. A god parent is a best friend for life and a good role model. I am a god parent and it can be very rewarding.

Diana was christened Diana Frances at St Mary Magdalene Church Sandringham (the same church where Charlotte was christened) on 30th August 1961.

Diana had five godparents. -John Floyd (the Chairman of Christie's Auction House and a friend of her father) and Alexander Gilmour, her father's cousin; Lady Mary Colman (formerly Lady Mary Bowes-Lyon, a niece of the Queen Mother and wife of the Lord Lt of Norfolk) Mrs Michael Pratt, who was a daughter of the Dean of Hereford and a friend and neighbour of Diana's parents; Mrs William Fox (another friend and neighbour.)

Last edited:
I suppose we'll never know how much contact she continued to have with her godparents once she was an adult, but it would be interesting to find out. Diana seemed to be spiritually adrift IMO. She was consulting so many psychics and astrologers.

Back
Top Bottom