The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Serene Highness

... and speaking of Lord & Lady Romsey, I think that this is Diana & Charles at the christening of their daughter Alexandra Knatchbull in March 1983.

Source: Daily Mail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1983 03.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	181962  

Old 08-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Nobility

I saw a picture of her years ago at Lord Downpatrick's christening. She wore a large black hat with an upturned brim. It was 1989 I think and she was sitting with the baby on her lap. It was in "Royalty" magazine.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
... and speaking of Lord & Lady Romsey, I think that this is Diana & Charles at the christening of their daughter Alexandra Knatchbull in March 1983.
Was it Alexandra who was ill with cancer? Or was that a sister of hers?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
Was it Alexandra who was ill with cancer? Or was that a sister of hers?
It was her sister Leonora who died of cancer in the fall of 1991. So sad! Little Leonora in the summer before she died, was given the honour of being allowed to appear on the balcony with the RF for the 1991 Trooping of the Colour.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:30 AM
Serene Highness

Here is a picture of Diana with Alexandra taken in August 1991 on Charles & Diana's Mediterranean cruise.

Photo: Hello magazine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1991 08 Alexandra Romsey.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	182107  
Old 08-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
I saw a picture of her years ago at Lord Downpatrick's christening. She wore a large black hat with an upturned brim. It was 1989 I think and she was sitting with the baby on her lap. It was in "Royalty" magazine.
I'd forgotten about those pictures James - I know which ones you mean. I was surprised that Diana was asked to be a godmother - I didn't realize that she was close to the Earl of St. Andrew's.

It's hard to believe that Lord Downpatrick would be around 16 yrs old now.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It was her sister Leonora who died of cancer in the fall of 1991. So sad! Little Leonora in the summer before she died, was given the honour of being allowed to appear on the balcony with the RF for the 1991 Trooping of the Colour.
Ah, I see. I remember seeing those photos of her on the balcony, wearing a red hat.
Very sad when someone that young dies...

Was Diana and the rest of the rf close to the Romseys? Or is that Knatchbull?
Howcome they have different names? Is lord Romsey just a title or something like that?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Ah, I see. I remember seeing those photos of her on the balcony, wearing a red hat.
Very sad when someone that young dies...

Was Diana and the rest of the rf close to the Romseys? Or is that Knatchbull?
Howcome they have different names? Is lord Romsey just a title or something like that?
His title is Lord Romsey, and his last name is Knatchbull. He is the heir to the Countess of Mountbatten.

It was so sad about Lady Leonora. Camilla went to that funeral and didn't even know the family! Diana was enraged!!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Was Diana and the rest of the rf close to the Romseys?
I think most of the RF are close to the Romseys. The relationships between the Romseys/Mountbattens and the Windsors go back quite a ways. Charles is very close to Lord & Lady Romsey. I don't think Diana ever really was though. I believe in the Jonathan Dimbleby book that it is stated that it was the Romseys (& Nicholas Soames) that approached Charles in January 1981 (before he was engaged), and expressed reservations about his possibly choosing Diana as his wife. They all felt that the couple just didn't have much in common. As well, I think Penny Romsey felt that Diana was more in love with being Princess of Wales, than with Charles himself.

Not sure why Diana was selected as a godmother. The Romseys' eldest son, Nicholas, already had Charles as a godfather - I guess it just made sense to them to ask Diana to be godmother to Alexandra. Also, perhaps, they felt that by asking Diana, perhaps it would draw her closer into Charles circle of friends, which would possibly help the couple's relationship. I'm just speculating on this of course. If that was one of their reasons for asking her to be godmother, I don't think it really worked to the desired effect. I believe that sometime in the mid-80s Diana tried to banish the Romseys from Charles circle of friends. I think it worked for a short while, but then soon enough the Romseys were accompanying the Wales on holidays, etc.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
His title is Lord Romsey, and his last name is Knatchbull. He is the heir to the Countess of Mountbatten.

It was so sad about Lady Leonora. Camilla went to that funeral and didn't even know the family! Diana was enraged!!
Camilla probably had some sort of familiarity with them through Charles. A lot of Charles' circle, like the Van Cutsems, were encouraging their relationship. I bet the Mountbatten clan was among them.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Camilla probably had some sort of familiarity with them through Charles. A lot of Charles' circle, like the Van Cutsems, were encouraging their relationship. I bet the Mountbatten clan was among them.
I agree with you on that Iowabelle.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Serene Highness

April 1989 Lord Downpatrick (Edward Edmund Maximilian George), the son of the Earl & Countess of St. Andrews, is christened. Princess Diana is one of the godparents. Other godparents are: Clare Stonor, Hon. Tim Knatchbull, Count Nicholas Szapary and William Worsley. The Earl of St. Andrews is the eldest son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

Photos: Tom Hustler
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1989 04 23.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	196577   Click image for larger version

Name:	1989 04 23   a.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	196578   Click image for larger version

Name:	1989 04 23   d.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	196579   Click image for larger version

Name:	1989 04 23   t.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	196580  

Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin

Of course Camilla knew the Mountbattens!!
You seem to think that Camilla's family are some kind of Parvenu's. They have moved in society since Keppells ancestor came to England with William & Mary!! Earl Mountbatten allowed the young Charles & Camilla to use Broadlands as a rendevous (whilst actively encouraging Charles to consider his grandaughter as a bride) during their early relationship. Also, if rumour is correct & Camilla's grandmother was the daughter of Edward VII then Camilla was probably more "royal" than Mountbatten or Diana. Lets face it, Diana was also descended from a royal mistress & Camilla's ancestors were courtiers while the Spencers were still farming sheep!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Nobility

I think most of those people in that christening picture took Charles' side in the divorce. Diana doesn't look very comfortable in those pictures. She loved children. I thought she would look happier.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo's Girl
I think most of those people in that christening picture took Charles' side in the divorce. Diana doesn't look very comfortable in those pictures. She loved children. I thought she would look happier.
What pics are you looking at? Diana looks happy in all the pictures.

In regards to Mountbatten...how manipulative to aid the Camilla relationship while pushing your granddaughter as a future wife. Makes you wonder how life would be different if Mountbatten had lived. But back to topic..any updates on any of Diana's godchildren?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Nobility

speaking of baron downpatrick, is there any forum on him?
he's prince william's second cousin or third cousin?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Did anyone else notice at the christening of Prince Phillipos (first page of this thread) that all of the godmothers (Diana, Elena, Benedikte and Penelope Romsey) are wearing blue and white, the colours of the Greek flag?

Does anyone know more about this? It hardly seems coincidental!

Eliza
Old 02-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foiegrass
speaking of baron downpatrick, is there any forum on him?
he's prince william's second cousin or third cousin?
Yes, there is a Baron Downpatrick thread, here.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:43 AM
Commoner

Could somebody please explain to me the purpose and duties of a godparent?
Thank you.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
April 1989 Lord Downpatrick (Edward Edmund Maximilian George), the son of the Earl & Countess of St. Andrews, is christened. Princess Diana is one of the godparents. Other godparents are: Clare Stonor, Hon. Tim Knatchbull, Count Nicholas Szapary and William Worsley. The Earl of St. Andrews is the eldest son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

Photos: Tom Hustler
diana look so happy in the photos. I think she really want another baby, especially after princess beatrice's birth

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-

Tags
christening, diana princess of wales, godchildren, godmother, princess diana