The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
This is the Wikipedia page showing the descent of the Danish monarchy from Gorm The Old - User:The Emperor's New Spy/Sandbox/Descent of Margarethe II from Gorm the Old - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No. 29, Louise of Hesse-Kassel, was the mother of both Alexandra, consort of Edward VII of Great Britain, and George I (William) of Greece (Prince Philip's grandfather).
great! thanks.. it seems Diana also descends from Gorm the Old through Anne of Denmark, Queen of England and Scotland, mother of Charles I and grandmother of Charles II and James II as well as the mother of Elizabeth Stuart who's granddaughter was Raugravine Karoline of the Palatinate, ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales through the line of her grandmother Cynthia Hamilton, Countess Spencer.. :)

Old 11-26-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
She was related to
- Stewart by Susan wife of 5th Duke of Marlborough and descendant of Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward of Scotland
- Stuarts bu Frances Fitzroy daughter of 3 Duke of Grafton and PM of GB and greatgreatgreat-granddaughter of Charles II and Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...olor=;i=103286
- Cavendish by Arabella (d. 1698) daughter of 2 D. of Newcastle and by William Cavendish, 5 D. of Devonshire
- Howard by Henry Howard, 4 Earl of Carlisle after Thomas, 4 D. of Norfolk (1538-1572)
- Seymour by Adelaide with 1 Marquess of Hertford and with Edrwad Seymour, 1 D. of Somerset (1506-1552)
- with Hamilton by Cynthia daughter of 3 D. of Abercorn
- with Beauclerk by Topham great-grandsdon of Charles II
- with Grey by Charles Grey, 2 Earl Grey, PM of GB
- with Montagu by Henry Montagu, 1 Earl of Manchester
- with Russell by Caroline Russell daughter of 4 Duke of Bedford

Diana's ancestors:
- 15th generation http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...before=&cgl=on
- 69th generation http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...before=&cgl=on
Cant seems to open this link above

Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Royal Highness

Bit of trivial

Ann Spencer's first child was a girl that she named Elizabeth Sarah.
John Spencer's first child was a girl that he named Elizabeth Sarah.

Ann Spencer's 4th pregnancy resulted in a girl which she named Diana.
John Spencer's 4th child was a girl which he named Diana.

Ann & John both had 5 children each.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Vatican has taken a key step along the road to declaring an English aristocrat related to Princes William and Harry to be a saint

A 20-year investigation into the life and works of Fr Ignatius Spencer has been approved by Vatican historians, it emerged yesterday.

The document, known as a positio, has now been passed over to theologians of the Vatican Congregation for the Causes of Sainthood.

If they decide there is “evidence of sanctity”, they will then ask Pope Francis to declare the Victorian Passionist priest as “Venerable”.
Read more: Relation to Princess Diana on road to becoming a saint – CatholicHerald.co.uk
Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Majesty

A $225,000 tiara from Princess Diana's family has sold

"A gorgeous $225,000 diamond tiara that belonged to a relative of Princess Diana has been sold. The Edwardian piece was purchased at a well-known art fair in Holland on Thursday"
Old 03-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Majesty

That is a beautiful tiara. I like the simple design.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Gentry

Diana's Byzantine Ancestry & Others

I have Iain Moncreiffe's book (Royal Highness: Ancestry of the Royal Child) about the ancestry of the Spencer's and the Windsors.
Does anyone have a copy of the book like I do?
And can anyone verify the truthful royal ancestry from the royals to Diana? i.e. Can anyone here verify how true the lines of descent are?

Also, on Wikipedia, it says "if this is true" under a line of descent "proposed" by Iain. Can anyone verify this one as well?

Plus, how is Princess Di related to Arbella Churchill, and Bess of Hardwick, individually?

I don't really think (to respond to the 'who's more royal than who' debate) it's a matter of who's more royal.
As long as Prince William becomes King of England, I'd be happy! Because he truly unites the Windsor and Spencer bloodlines.

Also: Does anyone know why William doesn't talk about his ancestry that much? Someone here said he "rarely" talks about it.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps its not very interesting to him. its not, really. ALl he is concerned about, probably is, that he is going to be king some day and that's from his fathers side not his mohthers side.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth2Fan, on this thread a poster who no longer comments here, Sangre Real016, posted a long list of Diana's ancestors, including the Arabella Churchill line, in post number #67.

Having said that, it is very difficult sometimes to truly verify bloodlines from an illegitimate person, as even if that offspring was acknowledged by the father, there is still of course some doubt.

Most young men aren't interested in their ancestry IMO, unless they are intrigued by a certain forbear or get into genealogy as a hobby. Queen Mary was, as far as I know, the only person in the BRF who had an encyclopedic knowledge of her own and others' bloodlines. Her husband certainly didn't. I believe Charles has an interest to a certain extent but it wouldn't rival his great-grandmother's.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:26 AM
Majesty

When I regret it that royals have let down all requirements ("Princess Meghan") and would like to see royals connecting with historic families, I am gunned down with a bazooka for having outdated views.

The same folks gunning me down then use a magnifying glass to browse to all possible descendants of a Kate or a Meghan to see if there is some drop of blue blood traceable somewhere as if to prove they are really not the Eliza-Doolittle-Next-Door to be time-warped into "royalty".

Lady Diana Spencer had a fabulous ancestry, deeply rooted with all the families which did matter in Britain's long history. She is the daughter from a countryside Earl. Nothing wrong with that. This frantically searching for a possible royal ancestor 8 generations ago somehow gives the impression that Diana was not good enoughi or something.

Claims that Diana is "more royal" are utterly laughable. One only needs to look to Prince Philip's darkblue blooded ancestry, which comes together with that of the Queen in their four children, to wipe away any suggestion that Diana is "more royal" than the Windsors.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:20 AM
Gentry

I haven't posted here in a while. But, I do check out the site from time to time.

Iain is an "illegitimate" person? As in an illegitimate child, or illegitimate as in not genuine?

And I, myself, am young. I got into genealogy because I wanted to specifically check out the Royal Family's bloodlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
When I regret it that royals have let down all requirements ("Princess Meghan") and would like to see royals connecting with historic families, I am gunned down with a bazooka for having outdated views.

The same folks gunning me down then use a magnifying glass to browse to all possible descendants of a Kate or a Meghan to see if there is some drop of blue blood traceable somewhere as if to prove they are really not the Eliza-Doolittle-Next-Door to be time-warped into "royalty".

Lady Diana Spencer had a fabulous ancestry, deeply rooted with all the families which did matter in Britain's long history. She is the daughter from a countryside Earl. Nothing wrong with that. This frantically searching for a possible royal ancestor 8 generations ago somehow gives the impression that Diana was not good enoughi or something.

Claims that Diana is "more royal" are utterly laughable. One only needs to look to Prince Philip's darkblue blooded ancestry, which comes together with that of the Queen in their four children, to wipe away any suggestion that Diana is "more royal" than the Windsors.
I definitely don't think your views are outdated!

And who were you addressing when you said someone "was searching for a royal ancestor from 8 generations ago"?

You're right! Diana did, indeed, have a fascinating genealogical blueprint.

I definitely want to get the book that's literally called The Ancestry of Diana, Princess of Wales by Richard K. (I forget his last name), but he lives in my country, the USA, and works for the New England Historical Society. (Or Genealogical, possibly, I forget!)
I want to find out even more information about Diana's bloodlines, through the book. Can anyone tell me if the book is genuine, before I buy it? I've tried to research some information about it and haven't found anything.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Gentry

I have a couple questions:
Is Diana directly related to:
1) Deborah Mitford, Duchess of Devonshire?;
2) The Monegasque Royal Family?;
3) One of Lady Jane Grey's relatives?;
and
4) Lucrezia Borgia? I know she's related to Caterina Sforza, which is why I'm asking.
and, finally:
5) Does she have any Byzantine lineage?

I've tried Googling "Princess Diana Ancestry" and I've only found one or two interesting articles, but they mention the Windsor side and/or Diana's other ancestries.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Majesty

There is no direct relationship between Diana Spencer and Deborah Mitford. There is however a current link via the Ogilvy family (Earls of Airlie). The paternal grandmother of the Mitford sisters was Lady Clementina Ogilvy. The father of Lady Clementina was the 10th Earl of Airlie.

The link to the royal family is as follows:

David Ogilvy, 10th Earl of Airlie
x Hon Henrietta Blanche Stanley
= David

David Ogilvy, 11th Earl of Airlie
x Lady Mabell Frances Gore
= David

David Ogilvy, 12th Earl of Airlie
x Lady Alexandra Coke
= Angus

Hon Angus Ogilvy
x Princess Alexandra of Kent
= James Ogilvy
= Marina Ogilvy
Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

According to Wikipedia, this is Diana's connection to most of Europe's royal families. She's a descendent, though illegitimate, of Charles II

Charles II of England mistress Louise de Kérouaille, Duchess of Portsmouth

son Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond married Anne Brudenell

son Charles Lennox, 2nd Duke of Richmond married Sarah Lennox, Duchess of Richmond and Lennox

son General Lord George Lennox married Lady Louisa Kerr

son Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond married Lady Charlotte Gordon

son Charles Gordon-Lennox, 5th Duke of Richmond married Lady Caroline Paget

daughter Lady Cecilia Gordon-Lennox married Charles Bingham, 4th Earl of Lucan

daughter Lady Rosalind Bingham (1869–1958) married James Hamilton, 3rd Duke of Abercorn

daughter Lady Cynthia Hamilton married Albert Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer
son John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer married Frances Roche

daughter Diana, Princess of Wales married Charles, Prince of Wales

sons Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descen...3.A9e_Villiers
Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Majesty

A great-great-grandmother of Prince Albert, Princess Caroline and Princess Stéphanie de Monaco was Lady Mary Douglas-Hamilton, daughter of the 11th Duke of Hamilton and 8th Duke of Brandon. Most likely somewhere there will be a common ancestor, but it is clear it if not "direct" at all.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Gentry

So I think it's safe to say that Diana was related to almost every British/English aristocratic family.
Except the Redesdales (Sydney, ___th Baron Redesdale was Deborah Mitford's father)

Is Diana related to:
1) Lucrezia Borgia
2) Any recent Kings of Spain or past Kings of France
3) Any Kings of Italy (from possibly the 17th to 20th centuries)
4) The royal families of Luxembourg and Liechtenstein?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
So I think it's safe to say that Diana was related to almost every British/English aristocratic family.
Except the Redesdales (Sydney, ___th Baron Redesdale was Deborah Mitford's father)
Georgiana Spencer, the greatx4-aunt of Diana married the fifth Duke of Devonshire & is therefore an ancestor of Deborah Mitfords husband
Old 05-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
Is Diana related to:
1) Lucrezia Borgia
2) Any recent Kings of Spain or past Kings of France
3) Any Kings of Italy (from possibly the 17th to 20th centuries)
4) The royal families of Luxembourg and Liechtenstein?
The Borgias: no. The rise and fall of that family took place in the 15th C. They rose from obscurity to shame and fame and felt quite soon back into relative obscurity. They were mainly seen as parvenues in the eyes of the royal families and the aristocracy. That someone in far-away England would marry a Spanish or Italian Borgia is hard to imagine.

The royal houses of Spain, France, Luxembourg (all three Houses are Bourbons), Italy (Savoy): yes, when we acccept that Diana is a descendant of a bastard of Charles II, then ultimately we will find some shared ancestors, if we search long enough, as the descendants of said Charles II of course came from continental royal houses which were very linked together.

With the princely family of Liechtenstein there will be links too since the current Hereditary Princess is the second most senior agnate of the Jacobite claim on the thrones of England and Scotland and this claim derives from the Stuarts, of which Charles II was a scion (and ultimately also Diana).
Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Not just any 'bastards'. Charles II had no legitimate issue but he officially recognised some of his children including Diana's ancestors, Henry Fitzroy, 1st Duke of Grafton, and Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond. She is a direct descendent.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Gentry

I know that Diana is probably related to Jaquetta of Luxembourg. But, is Jaquetta an ancestor of the current Luxembourg Royal Family?

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's family, earl spencer, genealogy, princess diana