Preparations for the 10th Anniversary Concert and Memorial Service

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I don't see Duran Duran fans going in for a bit of Swan Lake.

I was suprised to hear that Dame Elton will be doing "Candle in the Wind" again. You would have thought that in the past ten years he could have managed an original song wouldn't you?

elton john said shootly before the diana dead that he would sing the song (the diana's version) again only if william and harry requested it

It was on the news today that he'll sing it again. Poor Marilyn must be spinning.

BeatrixFan said:
It was on the news today that he'll sing it again. Poor Marilyn must be spinning.

Why? It brings out the real background pretty well, doesn't it? Candles in the wind plus the ballet... makes for a great tribute, that's for sure....

diana have a lot of song for her, I personally love ''a millon of suns'' of chris hugh, but the elton's song is a hymn, he sing it in the funeral, in a moment very very emotive, I remember that the solds 30 millions of copies in a month

Yes but it was originally for someone else which does taint it a little. There were not many similarities between Marilyn and Diana. Whilst it was acceptable for the funeral, after ten years, surely he could have written another one and left "Candle in the Wind" for Marilyn Monroe?

BeatrixFan said:
But does it? I always found it very strange that he used a recycled song for Diana and didn't write a new one. I thought it was time restriction but now there's been 10 years and personally I think it's time Marilyn got her song back.

Let's not forget that Bernie Taupin writes the lyrics to Elton's songs. Elton never writes his own lyrics. The Candle in the Wind song is Bernie's song if it is anyone else's.

Bernie Taupin wrote the song about seeing one of Marilyn Monroe's movies shortly after her death. Actually I think it was particularly appropriate for Diana.

Marilyn, like Diana, had a particularly bad childhood, a string of failed relationships, and a series of failed (or faked) suicide attempts. The man she most loved (Joe DiMaggio) divorced her because he was embarassed by her high profile and open nature in public (gee, what does that remind you of). She was last linked with the Kennedy men who like the al-Fayed's their motives were questionable at best.

Her niece who was very close to her said she could turn from the girl next door to a voluptuous sexual siren with just a change of her body posture. People in the business described her as either this lost little lamb or one of the most conniving witches ever to grace Hollywood.

Marilyn was a complex person and her legacy was far from simple. Same with Diana.

Little_star said:
Plenty of people will look forward to this concert, some because of the acts featured (so far none are overly appealing to me), others because of Diana herself. It's hard for some people to admit, but Diana was and still is a very popular member of the Royal Family. Possibly one of the most popular.

very very true, I agree with you diana is still very very popular and the time don't change that
it's hard to admit because diana is dead, but she is very present for the british people

Last edited:
sara1981 said:

Another article from Hello

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/12/13/diana-concert/

it is mentioned on this article that the tickets were sold out in 20 minutes! and that there will be more tickets will be released in New Year...:wub:

if diana WAS popular we don't would be here talking about her, its so simple, if the newspaper write about her and the people buy it, if diana is tv and people watch the program is because she IS popular.
elvis is poplar and he is dead, the queen mother is popular and she is dead, kennedy, marilyn etc.

this is totally off topic, but its the true, diana is popular, she still is in magazines, postcads, etc, she is most populat that many royals alive

corazon said:
diana is still very very popular in engalnd.
I read in a spanicsh paper that was 60.000 tickets, soon it will have more.

An awful lot of the tickets have gone to fans of the declared acts, women and girls hoping to see the princes and to ticket touts, I don't think popularity comes into it. :rolleyes:

corazon said:
if diana WAS popular we don't would be here talking about her, its so simple, if the newspaper write about her and the people buy it, if diana is tv and people watch the program is because she IS popular.
elvis is poplar and he is dead, the queen mother is popular and she is dead, kennedy, marilyn etc.

this is totally off topic, but its the true, diana is popular, she still is in magazines, postcads, etc, she is most populat that many royals alive

There is one paper that constantly carries articles about her, or rather her death and their readership has fallen drastically. Even Michael White almost spits when he mentions it and Diana! I can't think of many programmes in the UK that air on tv.

I think the European princesses get far more coverage and along with Camilla are much more popular and newsworthy.

Diana's death did not cement her celebrity. It enhanced it though.

Skydragon said:
An awful lot of the tickets have gone to fans of the declared acts, women and girls hoping to see the princes and to ticket touts, I don't think popularity comes into it. :rolleyes:

with that sence, the party at the palace was a exit for the people go for see william and hary and don't was in that way, was a exist because was a `party, a celebration, excaty like the diana concert

diana was very inportant for the british's history, don't only for be the mother of a future king, (nothing can change that) because she work very hard in 15 yeark as princess of waes, the magazine time this year mentioned her like aan most important character of the 20 century

No, I'm sorry corazon - you're making very vast sweeping statements there that aren't substantiated. British history spans thousands of years and a woman who was a member of the Royal Family for 11 years did not impact on British history. This is where context is vital. She may have had an impact on the 20th century but British history is more than just what we've lived through and I think it's extremely naive to say that she's changed British history. So she's the mother of a future King - so was Jane Seymour and who talks about her now? Whether Time Magazine named her as the most important person of the 20th century or not is irrelevant and I'm sure others would suggest to you that Nelson Mandela, Ghandi and Edith Cavell would have taken the title if sane people had voted.

Beatrix Fan has a good point. From a historian's point of view, Diana's impact on history is miniscule. Beyond the birth of William, and, perhaps, that she featured in the first divorce of a British heir to the throne, what else did she do that could be considered truly 'historic'? She didn't start/stop a war, end famine, initiate a civil rights movement.

It was her impact on popular culture that was significant, not on history.

corazon said:
with that sence, the party at the palace was a exit for the people go for see william and hary and don't was in that way, was a exist because was a `party, a celebration, excaty like the diana concert

The party at the palace was a different kettle of fish.

Ebay have suspended trading in the tickets, because of the amount being offered! :rolleyes:

I really do not understand some of the statments being made here. I would think that Charles would and still does have ties to Diana. I believe that their ties would be named William and Harry. I guess that just because some people do not like Diana means that her DNA does not count. Charles will always have a tie to Diana. He love Camilla, but Diana is the mother of his children.

msleiman said:
I really do not understand some of the statments being made here. I would think that Charles would and still does have ties to Diana. I believe that their ties would be named William and Harry. I guess that just because some people do not like Diana means that her DNA does not count. Charles will always have a tie to Diana. He love Camilla, but Diana is the mother of his children.

of course, but much people don't undestand why the concert (until now is an exit and don't is a proyect of the people (like the conspiracy), if a work of william and harry WITH the permission of charles and ythe queen) and some people it's angry for the popular rection and for that diana is critiqued, the people can said many thinks but the fact are the facts

many people want to yhink that diana never existed, she is dead and end of the story, but she YES existed, have two beautiful boys (one one day will be king of england) and they want to honred to their mother, they are too young when she die and some thing they can do in that moment, now the things are differents.
I don't see the problem, if charles pay the party, if the monarchy pay or the people, for some people diana is the problem, that she don't was forget was the problem, but it's the realil, she never will be forgeted, and the concert are a very good accotions for the fans to see her is honred like nedd to be

Last edited:
I try to say that the concert don't was a proyect of the public in general like the consipiracy that was a popular idea don't an official thing and the queen is consulted FOREVER for avery event into the royal family and william and harry for do this need the premission of their father and the queen

corazon said:
I don't see the problem, if charles pay the party, if the monarchy pay or the people, for some people diana is the problem, that she don't was forget was the problem, but it's the realil, she never will be forgeted, and the concert are a very good accotions for the fans to see her is honred like nedd to be

You may not object but, IMO, a lot of the British people do object to their money being spent, if it is, on a concert for a woman who, IMO, behaved without any honour.

Talk to ordinary people about the inquiry and it's cost and they all say, "God, is that still going on, I thought she was killed by a drunk driver", tell them the cost and they all say what a waste of our money! There are a few hard core fanatics but she has been replaced in the priorities of most peoples lives.

The concert is a concert is a concert, like many of the other money making acts. Band Aid, Children in Need etc, etc and most people only see them as the chance to get drunk and dance.

Exactly Skydragon. 2-5 million is alot of money considering that money has been spent every year since her death trying to either put up a memorial, hold an enquiry, process plans for an enquiry etc etc. One MP was interviewed and he said it was known by the Treasury as the "Di Sub" - a yearly payment to keep her fans happy.

Let's try to stay on topic please...the actual concert and memorial service.

We don't need to start rehashing the affairs, the breakdown of the marriages, etc.

We've been told to move on but I will point out that you're talking about after Diana. Fergie was after Diana. Camilla was after Diana. It was all after Diana. Until she came along, the House of Windsor was fine. And thats that. Its a fact.

you can't disregard the impact she had on a modernizing institution.
If by modernising you mean breaking the illusion then yes, she modernised. By did any of us really want that?

Anyway, back on topic.

I loved Diana. I like the Duchess. As I have gotten older I realize how much more suited Camilla is for Charles. The concert to me seemed like a good idea. Raise some money for charity, let the people who liked Diana remember her. Anyways that is only my opinion and at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what I think because no one listens to me over in Calgary anyways. :lol:

The thread will now re-open after major surgery. Off-topic, irrelevant, impolite, insensitive and over-wrought posts have been removed.

Here are some Ground Rules

• Members will be polite and respectful to other members;
• Posts re-stating what has already been posted by the same member will be removed to avoid pointless repetition;
• No-one will claim to be speaking on behalf of the British people;
• Everyone's opinion is welcome, regardless of citizenship, country of birth or current domicile;
• A recognition that the Memorial Concert has the approval of Diana's sons, and most likely of her former husband.
• We all know the narrative of the Charles-Camilla-Diana triangle so we won't be rehashing it here.

thanks,

the British Royals moderating team
Avalon, Elspeth, Warren & ysbel

Last edited:
I think this concert will be loads of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom