The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I just moved a bunch of posts including my own to the Inquest thread because they concerned Diana's death more than her memorial.

I know these two subjects are going to overlap a little but it would be helpful if we kept straight which we are talking about at any point in time and make the posts in the appropriate thread.

I'm saying this to myself as much as everybody else. I totally forgot I was posting in the Memorial concert thread until I saw a similar but different discussion in the Inquest thread.

ysbel
British forums moderator

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Without the Diana link, who would be interested in Dodi, apart from his family, if Dodi had been with Kelly Fisher in the car, would he even have made the news?

Surely AL FAyed has his own friends and family that would want to remember his son?

I know that I will want to have a memorial service to my mother later this year (the first anniversary of his death) and that only her family and close friends will be invited.

My point is that he could do that rather than piggy back the memorial to another person.

If he had died with Kelly Fisher in the car I still say that he could hold a memorial service and invite her family if he so wanted but that her family could hold one and not invite him.

It is not that Diana was a public figure that means a thing to me but that she is being remembered by her sons and the family and friends with whom they wish to remember their mother.

He could do the same.

But of course he wouldn't get the publicity that he wants in that case. But he can hold his own memorial service to his son if he wanted to do so.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
Surely AL FAyed has his own friends and family that would want to remember his son?
Probably, but without Diana, who in the UK would have taken any notice of the death of Fayeds son?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why Diana's memorial service is an insult to her memory

The venue is so small that most of her old friends don't expect to be invited. The address will be given by a cleric whom she hardly knew.

Why Diana's memorial service is an insult to her memory | News | This is London

What they don't seem to understand, is that with articles like this, especially the paragraphs complaining that the 'godchildren' did not receive all they were entitled to from her will, they are turning the memorial service into an insult. Her so called 'friends' should be ashamed of themselves!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana's friends are going overboard with their complaints about the memorial service. I understand their discomfort of Camilla showing up at the memorial with Will's and Harry's invitation but that shouldn't be a problem. The Princess of Wales' relationship with Camilla should not affect william and harry's relationship with her. And its also possible that Camilla wanted to pay her own respects to The Princess of Wales.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

From Skydragon's link:
"These friends are perplexed and angry. They see the choice of the Bishop as, quite frankly, little short of an insult to Diana."

So "these friends" are in effect saying that William and Harry are insulting their mother. Hmm.

"... there is another, fundamental reason why her friends are shocked at the choice of Richard Chartres to speak at her memorial service. He has never been forgiven by most of the parents of Diana's 17 godchildren for failing to ensure, as one of the trustees of her estate, that her "letter of wishes" was carried out... The letter was ignored by Diana's executors -including her sister, Lady Sarah, and late mother, Mrs Frances Shand Kydd..."

If "these friends" consider the Bishop to be persona non grata and not to be forgiven, then, to be consistent, surely the same should apply to Diana's sister. Do they want Lady Sarah to be excluded from the service as well?

Ten years after the death, "these friends" are still squabbling over the division of Diana's estate. They appear more than willing to publicly undermine the Memorial Service so they can settle old scores. Talk about bitter and twisted.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

for many people the camilla's invitation is an insult, for myself too for william and harry some reason have for do that.

Candle in the win will be in sale again for diana anniversary?

kensington will be open?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 04-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
for many people the camilla's invitation is an insult, for myself too for william and harry some reason have for do that.
If I understand you correctly you are asking why William and Harry have invited Camilla to the service - that is simple - they love their father, Camilla loves their father, Camilla makes their father happy therefore they at least appreciate what Camilla does for the father they so clearly adore. Harry has also publicly stated that he and William 'love her to bits' when referring to Camilla.

Is it so strange to people that these young men, who know Camilla and their father, actually like her? Unlike most of us here who only know what the press have said about her, often based on the interpretation of Diana, William and Harry actually know Camilla. They want her there - that is all there needs to be said on the issue - Princes William and Harry are happy for her to attend and so she will attend - They don't have a problem with her and don't see her attending as an insult to their mother so why should we?

Quote:
Candle in the win will be in sale again for diana anniversary?
Don't know.

Quote:
kensington will be open?
Kensington Palace is open most days of the year so I would assume it will open on this day. I think it is only closed over Christmas (24th, 25th and 26th December) and on New Year's Day (1st January). As the service isn't on any of these days I would expect Kensington Palace to be open as usual.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Courtier

I would not be surprised to see a lot of "official" merchandise re-issued.

I do expect Kensington to be open as Althorp and the fountain will be; it will be a big week for all tourist places with even a remote association with the late Diana.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
for many people the camilla's invitation is an insult...
It's win/win for the Camilla detractors on this one: if she attends the memorial service, it's an insult to Diana's memory; if she doesn't attend, it's an insult to Diana's memory.
It must be quite pleasing for some to be able to have it both ways. Then again, diverting the attention from Diana to Camilla is somewhat counter-productive.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
It's win/win for the Camilla detractors on this one: if she attends the memorial service, it's an insult to Diana's memory; if she doesn't attend, it's an insult to Diana's memory.
Some could say that it's an insult to expect Camilla to turn up at this service and she is only doing so out of love for her stepsons and her husband.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Courtier

If she wanted an out, she would have scheduled her hysterectomy during that time.

Camilla has nothing to lose by attending.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona
If she wanted an out, she would have scheduled her hysterectomy during that time.
What a horrible thing to say, the poor woman cancelled engagements before and after Christmas, due to health problems. She delayed having her hysterectomy so that she could go on an official trip to the Middle East. She was obviously unwell during that trip and now you expect her to delay having treatment so that she wouldn't offend the 'never move on Diana maniacs'!

Of course she has something to loose by attending the memorial. What's happening now, being condemned for planning to attend or being condemned for not attending. She's in a no win situation for those who want to find another reason to dislike her. There's nothing for her to gain, she's attending as she was asked and it's obvious that her presence is important to William and Harry and they're the ones who count. Not the Diana maniacs, not the socalled friends who court publicity, nor journalists like Richard Kay who lost his cash cow when Diana died, she was his major source of royalty stories, and he continues to milk her even now. Just look at his last editorial.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I heard someone say that no matter what Camilla does, she won't be able to escape Diana's shadow.

I also think the reverse is true. Diana's memory is never going to be free of Camilla.

I think the outcry about Camilla appearing at Diana's memorial is that people just want to forget Camilla ever existed for just one day and celebrate Diana. But I think its as impossible to airbrush Camilla out of the present as it is to airbrush Diana out of history.

The two women are inextricably linked and it affects the memory of Diana and well as it does people's perception of Camilla.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Of course she has something to loose by attending the memorial. What's happening now, being condemned for planning to attend or being condemned for not attending. She's in a no win situation for those who want to find another reason to dislike her. There's nothing for her to gain, she's attending as she was asked and it's obvious that her presence is important to William and Harry and they're the ones who count. Not the Diana maniacs, not the socalled friends who court publicity, nor journalists like Richard Kay who lost his cash cow when Diana died, she was his major source of royalty stories, and he continues to milk her even now. Just look at his last editorial.
So all Diana fans are manics you say?
Quote:
I heard someone say that no matter what Camilla does, she won't be able to escape Diana's shadow.

I also think the reverse is true. Diana's memory is never going to be free of Camilla.

I think the outcry about Camilla appearing at Diana's memorial is that people just want to forget Camilla ever existed for just one day and celebrate Diana. But I think its as impossible to airbrush Camilla out of the present as it is to airbrush Diana out of history.

The two women are inextricably linked and it affects the memory of Diana and well as it does people's perception of Camilla.
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Old 04-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Royal Highness

'to gain, to win, to loose'

Why are people talking about a win-or a lose-situation?

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall has been requested to attend the funeral of the mother of her stepsons. That is all.

The day after all is as usual again and the Duchess graciously goes on with the current affairs.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona
If she wanted an out, she would have scheduled her hysterectomy during that time..
It was an urgent but non emergency operation, why should she have to put her life in danger just to placate some unrelated bystanders?

It seems Camilla and her stepsons are more adult than some others!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well, I try not to think of it as a win or lose situation. Camilla was invited to go to The Princess of Wales' memorial and she should. I don't think its sign of disrespect towards the late Princess. And as I stated in post 326 Wills and Harry's relationship with Camilla shouldn't be affected by Diana and Camilla's relationship.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
She was his ex wife and it would hardly be right to expect him to pay anything towards it.

Perhaps the father of her last boyfriend, al Fayed, will pay, but like BeatrixFan, I hope it is not going to come from British Taxpayers, the enquiry has cost more than enough!
I'm not sure I agree. Maybe it's not right to expect Prince Charles to pay for it, but I think whatever he contributes would be a nice gesture, for the mother of his sons. I don't care if he doesn't give anything. Personally, I think it is enough for him to attend. But I think if he gives, it will be nice to see that. Although divorced, I think they were very important to each other, and she must always have some part of his heart.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I'm not sure I agree. Maybe it's not right to expect Prince Charles to pay for it,
If it turns out it is not self financing, perhaps the Diana fans should put their hands in their pockets! Although I do not watch a lot on the BBC, they have wasted licence payers money by buying the rights to this concert!

Tags
anniversary, anniversary concert, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana