Preparations for the 10th Anniversary Concert and Memorial Service

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
I think where I get annoyed is when people attribute glowing character traits to Diana that if they had just read what Diana actually did and said, they'd come to a different but not necessarily bad conclusion.
Ysbel you have to remeber that willaim and Harry are at an age when they have to make decisions for themselves. It was their choice to either listen or forget their parent's teacheings. I for one will admit that Diana wasn't the best parent out there or the angel as some try to precieve her. But she was a good mother and a good human being.

Last edited by a moderator:
sirhon11234 said:
I for one will admit that Diana wasn't the best parent out there or the angel as some try to precieve her. But she was a good mother and a good human being.

Well sirhon, your signature, Diana, Princess of Wales - She became an icon in life and a legend in death, leads me to believe that you relate more to the more saint-like image of Diana rather than Diana as a normal human being but I may be mistaken in that assumption.

But my point wasn't whether Diana was a good human being and mother or a bad human being and mother which I don't think any of us can judge.

What I meant is that praise loses some of its credibility when it attributes to Diana characteristics that it is questionable whether she ever had. Was she a caring mother? was she a loving mother? Did she spend a lot of time with her kids? Yes most definitely and that is probably the mother that William and Harry want to remember. Did she teach her boys strength? Was she strict with them? She may have been but there's nothing that we saw her do or say in relation to her children to make us believe it.

In fact, if William and Harry have learned how to be strong and be nonjudgmental in the face of overwhelming odds, it appears they learned that lesson from the Queen. Her Majesty had to feel very unhappy about both Camilla and Diana and their effect on Her Majesty's family at one time, yet Her Majesty looked past that to work out a relationship both with Diana and with Camilla later on once the pain had somewhat healed. Consistency, steadfastness, ability to put aside old hurts, these are qualities that the Queen has in abundance and I think its rubbed off a bit on William and less so on Harry.

My own take on the memorial is that William and Harry, after sitting back and letting everyone else memorialize their mother, want to take some ownership of their mother's memory back and make it into something consistent with the way THEY remember Diana; not necessarily the way you, I, the press, or anyone else remembers Diana but the way they remember her.

Last edited:
sirhon11234 said:
Ysbel you have to remeber that willaim and Harry are at an age when they have to make decisions for themselves. It was their choice to either listen or forget their parent's teacheings. I for one will admit that Diana wasn't the best parent out there or the angel as some try to precieve her. But she was a good mother and a good human being.
Most of their upbringing was done by a nanny or school. Like most of the upper classes, Charles and Diana employed a variety of 'help'. They were also of course boarders at Eton. Therefore their's isn't a case of listen to or forget what their parents may or may not have taught them.

ysbel said:
My own take on the memorial is that William and Harry, after sitting back and letting everyone else memorialize their mother, want to take some ownership of their mother's memory back and make it into something consistent with the way THEY remember Diana; not necessarily the way you, I, the press, or anyone else remembers Diana but the way they remember her.
Well said ysbel! :flowers:

These are the acts who are supposed to be taking part.

Take That
Kanye West
Pharrell Williams
Sir Elton John
Bryan Adams
James Blunt
Keane
Orson
Rod Stewart
Meat Loaf
James Morrison
Duran Duran
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Bryan Ferry
Joss Stone
The English National Ballet

Wow that list of artists is awesome, But there should be more female singers though. Anyway this concert along with Live Eight will be the most memorable of this decade.

Well sirhon, your signature, Diana, Princess of Wales - She became an icon in life and a legend in death, leads me to believe that you relate more to the more saint-like image of Diana rather than Diana as a normal human being but I may be mistaken in that assumption.
Your assumption is wrong Ysbel, my signature was never ment for posters to believe that I relate to that statement of Diana being a saint or angelic like.
The Princess of Wales was a woman with faults. I do believe that sometimes she was vindictive and manipulative but alot of us are like that sometimes. But there was also a woman who cared deeply about her children and had a passion to help other people.

sirhon11234 said:
she was vindictive and manipulative but alot of us are like that sometimes.

Too right, sirhon.

You would be stretched to find someone (this forum included) who doesn't possess the capabilities of being vindictive or manipulative.

I think it's very healthy that you recognise Diana's flaws for what they were :)

Thanks, Madame Royal there are many Diana fans who turn a blind eye towards her faults but i don't. In my own opinion she learned from her own faults and that had helped Diana become the independent woman that she was at the time of her death.

She was a flawed lady, I'm a flawed woman, your a flawed man...we each and everyone one of us have flaws, and it's when we recognise those flaws and in some way try and build off them, that I think a better and more content quality of life should not be impossible to obtain :flowers:

From the article:

Wilson explained: "A lot of them are doing it to sell more records. It's fine if you're doing something like Live 8, which is raising awareness or events that raise awareness over green issues.

"That's all right. But not just Diana. I'm not disrespecting her, but can you imagine someone like Kasabian playing at the concert?

"Elton John can do it - he knew her. I didn't know her. It would be hypocritical", said Ricky.

The part about Elton John makes sense. Elton Johan and Diana were friends so its fitting that he make a tribute. But I can also see why Duran Duran would do it. They were one of her favorite bands and they benefitted from being known as one of Di's fave bands in the 80s.

As for the rest, except for the ballet, I don't see the connection with Diana.

It may just be that William and Harry threw in a few bands that THEY liked. ;) which wouldn't necessarily be too bad.

ysbel said:
It may just be that William and Harry threw in a few bands that THEY liked. ;) which wouldn't necessarily be too bad.
I had to laugh at this from gfg02's post "The Princes know that they need to get artists who are loved around the world, but particularly in America, to ensure it's a truly worldwide event". I don't think the Princes consider attracting American interest as ensuring it is a worldwide event! :lol:

I read in the TV magazine in one of our Sunday papers a couple of weeks ago that the concert will be aired here, too. On 2nd July I think.

I'am soo psyched that the concert is going to be aired on VH1 and NBC!! :)

Last edited:
I am so glad it is going to be aired here too. I tried to purchase tickets and couldn't get any and was so disappointed so at least I get to see the concert even if it is on t.v. :)

Lily

Skydragon said:
I had to laugh at this from gfg02's post "The Princes know that they need to get artists who are loved around the world, but particularly in America, to ensure it's a truly worldwide event". I don't think the Princes consider attracting American interest as ensuring it is a worldwide event! :lol:

Now, now skydragon, don't you know you English would be hopelessly quaint and out of date without us superior Americans to let you know when you're with it and when you're not? You're so adorably out of touch you can't possibly do it on your own. As a patriotic American, I declare its a heavy burden we bear towards our mother country!

Of course, no British royal can hope to matter unless we the American people put its seal of approval for their star quality, glitz and glamour and I'm afraid the members of your current British Royal Family are sadly lacking in all of those qualities. So I'm afraid your Royal Family will have to crawl into the woodworks and disappear from view until you can produce a sufficiently glamorous royal for us to adore and only then will we pay attention and raise them to such heights that you will be amazed. But we Americans are not known for our patience and we sincerely hope it won't take another 100 years. ;)

(and I hope you know, I'm totally joking and having fun with you :flowers: )

No Sirhon the tickets were sold out in 30 minutes and I got up at 4 am to try to buy them on the internet and still couldn't get them :(

Lily

ysbel said:
Now, now skydragon, don't you know you English would be hopelessly quaint and out of date without us superior Americans to let you know when you're with it and when you're not? You're so adorably out of touch you can't possibly do it on your own. As a patriotic American, I declare its a heavy burden we bear towards our mother country!

(and I hope you know, I'm totally joking and having fun with you :flowers: )
:ROFLMAO: There are times ysbel when your brilliance shines like a beacon. :ROFLMAO: :clap:

Diana Concert Organisers Shun Mccartney To Avoid Elton Rift

:ermm: I'm a little confused. Isn't the purpose of this event to raise money for charity? If it is, can't these two late-middle-aged boys get their respective acts together and put their egos aside for one night to help people who need it? If it's not to raise money for charity, shouldn't it be?

Roslyn said:
... can't these two late-middle-aged boys get their respective acts together and put their egos aside for one night
They may well have been able to, but it's the organisers who decided that Paul McCartney was not to be invited. So we'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom