The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Is he in need of some more publicity or money? I thought he had a flower shop or something. I hoped that he would just crawl away never to be seen again, not in the media anyway.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would imagine the flowers are still growing pretty well as it seems he's still got a lot of fertilizer sprouting from his mouth.

Water just got spewed!!

Just could not get the hand up fast enough. Good one Osipi!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 01-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Former royal butler Paul Burrell has denied that he was angry and hurt at private information being passed to the News of the World by disgraced PR guru Max Clifford because the story did not sell.

Mr Burrell told Deputy Judge Richard Spearman that the fax which Clifford sent to editor Rebekah Brooks in November 2002 was a "very personal, intimate and private documentation" of details about his life with the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the late Princess Diana which was not in the public domain.
Read more: Princess Diana's butler Paul Burrell takes Max Clifford to court | Western Daily Press
Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

So to re-cap, Mr Burrell gives Mr Clifford various details about life with the Royal Family, then later sues Mr Clifford for breach of privacy as the information was apparently faxed on to the News of the World?

Rather ironic, I must say.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Paul Burrell, the former royal butler, has won a High Court privacy action against the disgraced PR guru Max Clifford.

A judge in London announced on Friday morning that his claim had succeeded - and awarded him £5,000 damages.

Clifford, who is serving an eight-year jail sentence for sex offences, had branded Mr Burrell's £50,000 action for breach of confidence and misuse of private information an "affront to common sense".

Mr Burrell said he hired Clifford to limit bad press coverage about him but, rather than stopping stories, he "betrayed" him by passing on material in a fax to Rebekah Brooks at the now-defunct News of the World.

In a statement after the ruling, Mr Burrell, who was not in court, said: "I am extremely pleased with the outcome and am delighted to have been vindicated by the High Court."
Read more: Paul Burrell wins privacy case damages from disgraced Max Clifford - Telegraph
Old 02-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Wonder if Burrell will ever see any of this money?
Old 02-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Majesty

Plus, how much of it will go to his lawyer? The judge couldn't have been too impressed with his claim.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's the full judgment if anyone's interested. I haven't read it, I only had a look to see what orders were made about costs, but none have been yet. Burrell v Clifford [2016] EWHC 294 (Ch) (19 February 2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I still consider Paul Burrell an absolute grub without principles of any kind. However, I did find his recital of the Queen's thoughtful and considerate behaviour to him and his family over the years heartwarming. (See link above.) Thanks for posting the judgement, Roslyn.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:57 AM
Serene Highness

He was very much in the wrong, but I feel a bit sorry for him. I think that the Spencers didn't treat him very well, givng him a job in the Diana charity that wasn't perhaps suitable for him, and then firing him and saying "remember who you are and where you came from..."
I can understand he felt bitter against them and I think that he's been pretty loyal to Diana's memory
Old 05-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Majesty

I thought he went too far with some of the stories he told. For example, there was the one he told about Diana going to visit one of her lovers (might have been Hasnat Khan) wearing nothing but a fur coat. There was no need to tell very personal stories like that. None at all.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness

True, but I tolerate him better than soem of her other staff, who were much better educated and able to find other work after her death, who wrote much more critical biographies of her, like Wharfe.. what about hsi recounting a story about Willaim pulling off Dianas towel, in front of HIM? (which Im sure is untrue anyway)...
Old 05-31-2016, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I tolerate nobody who worked for Diana and sold her out whether they were educated or not. Lack of education doesn't excuse selling someone out like Burrell Hewitt or the others have done. Every time her name comes up they all stick their hands up to be called on to tell the same story for the hundredth time.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

wel Paul's mostly been loyal to her and spoken well of her, and after her death he was not left that well off. THe Spencers gave him a job at the Diana memorial foundation, and then fired him, so I think that at that stage he DID get angry and felt that he had been a good and loyal servant and they had been nasty to him..Whereas Hewitt was her lover, so for him to write about her was betraying thier love affiar and casting aspersions on her reputation.. and the other 2 were wroking for her and mostly wrote unkind and critical works about her.. and certianly Pat Jephson was an educated man who had connextions and could easily have found another job...
Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM
Royal Highness

People always write books or articles about famous people they know.

Without these types of books there would be no biographies or autobiographies.

Diana is no different than anyone else.

Several members of Edward VII's staff wrote books about him.

Each person that publishes their memoirs includes stories about the people in their lives.

Diana should not be exempt.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

'It was a mutual decision': Princess Diana's butler Paul Burrell and wife Maria to divorce after 32 years | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Majesty

It's always sad when a marriage falls apart and dies. BTW I saw one glaring mistake in the article: Paul Burrell went to Kensington Palace with Diana after her and Charles' separation. He was originally reluctant to go and wanted to stay with Prince Charles because he and Maria had their own cottage there IIRC.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Serene Highness

I think that their marriage has been an arrangement for a LONG time now. I remember a few years ago his saying that Maria was into their kids and family and he wanted to go back to the UK where there was more cultural life etc. and I imagine that he's problaby basically not into marriage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
People always write books or articles about famous people they know.

Diana should not be exempt.
No people do NOT always write books or articles about famous people they know...

Tags
diana princess of wales, paul burrell, princess diana, tabloid press