The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I'd say no. Different eye makeup... :)
Yes, that's true. In the picture I linked to her eye makeup does look quite different. In fact it looks like she got into a brawl the night before & has two blackened eyes.:) However, in other pics I've seen of this portrait, her makeup looks more subtle. So I'm still not convinced they all weren't taken at the same sitting.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

In the Spring of 1990, Diana sat for the artist Israel Zohar. The first image is the resulting portrait he painted of her. The second image is a picture taken of her during their first sitting on May 1st 1990. The third photo is of Diana and Israel at the unveiling of the painting in July 1990.

Photos: www.izohar.co.uk

Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Aristocracy

Question

Beautiful! I've always liked that portrait, and had seen the unveiling photo before, but not that one of her sitting with the artist sketching. That is a lovely photograph. Thank you.

Does anybody know what is that item of jewelry she is wearing on the Travolta gown? Is it perhaps a brooch connected with the Royal Hussars, for whose headquarters the painting was commissioned?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Royal Highness

can't say that this is one of my favorites but it's not my least favorite either. i like the soft, muted colours. he's made her look very tense in the portrait...probably because all that was happening at the time??? anyway, i love seeing all the different images, thanks squidgy.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
Does anybody know what is that item of jewelry she is wearing on the Travolta gown? Is it perhaps a brooch connected with the Royal Hussars, for whose headquarters the painting was commissioned?
That's right. Her broach is the crest & tie of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars. Diana became their Colonel-in-Chief in April 1989.

There's a bit about them at this site: http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/cav/D13-18h.htm
Old 05-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

Hello magazine also had a few pictures from the May 1st 1990 sitting. They appear to be taken in natural light so they are unfortunately a bit dark. (That is Anne Beckwith-Smith, Diana's loyal Lady-in-waiting in the background.)

Old 05-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Ooh, ooh, more photos from that sitting! I love the second one, where she's laughing. And in that one the "crest and tie" brooch is visible in detail.
Thank you, Squidgy. And thanks for the links to the websites for the artist and the Hussars.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

wow! great photos! I never see it before, thanks for posted!
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

Squidgy, I forgot to say "thank you" for answering my question about the brooch. You are always so willing to help everyone and to share your rare photos. And the extent of your knowledge is truly awesome.

You are my mentor in matters Diana.:)
Old 05-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Serene Highness

Umbrellagirl, I'm speechless! That is very sweet of you!:) But as I've said before, there's lots of others who know much, much more about Diana. Thankfully, many of them participate in this Forum.

Are you just trying to flatter me, in order to get me to post more pictures?? ... OK, it's working!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Aristocracy

Granted, Squidgy, there are others on the Forums who know their Diana stuff. But you (and Lady Jean, too) discuss most often topics that interest me, especially Diana 's clothes and when they were worn. When I log on, I always look for your and her most recent posts. And you ARE kind to Newbies. I do sincerely consider you my mentor.

Yes, the photos you post are great, too. These from the portrait sitting are really rare and lovely, and it's so nice to have the exact date.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Nobility

OOoh a deluge of compliments from Umbrellagirl! How nice of you. I think you and I would be the first to sign up to attend Squidgy University, but I guess we don't have to since she is always so generous with her knowledge and photos.
I'm also thrilled to get all of this new info, see new pix, and maybe even better... finally have people to share my favorite pastime with, after all of these years!:)
Old 05-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love this photo, thanks very much for posted it, diana look so young, so relax
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

We didn't see many profile portraits of Diana did we? There's the one Lady Jean just posted, then the 1982 Snowdon picture of Diana holding William & the one done in 1994 for the cover of Vogue magazine. That's all I can remember. I think Diana was self conscious about her nose, but I thought she had a beautiful profile & looks lovely in that picture.

Was this portrait taken when the engagement pictures were taken? or later on? I think it was released on the eve of their wedding, but not sure.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Nobility

Yes, this was done the day she posed with Charles for the photos for England's postage stamps.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Nobility

Snowdon, Camera Press

Her skin looks very luminous here, I think.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Gentry

she was

definitely beautiful !
But this portrait seems strange...
Quote:
Originally Posted by micas
Old 06-05-2006, 05:48 AM
Commoner

I have allways felt this was one of her best portraits

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ent=elvis1.jpg
Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmadasitgets2003
I have allways felt this was one of her best portraits

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ent=elvis1.jpg
I looked at everyone and yes, the one you selected was really good. However, although I liked 95% of them, I would say #14,32, and 34 are also outstanding, IMO..
I looked closely at her expression and especially her eyes. I don't think they looked vacant.. She shows warmth and the photos with her sons, show love and caring..
Thank you very much for this link. She was very lovely....:(
Old 06-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Nobility

Spring 1981
Photo: Snowdon.
In "The Story of the Royal Family" by
Don Coolican, Crown Publishers.

Restored link for photo originally posted in #192.

Tags
diana princess of wales, exhibition, mario testino, photos, pictures, portraits, princess diana