Painted and Photographic Diana Portraits

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corazon said:
she never will be forget because she was a great person, she never was useless, the land mines, the AIDS, the homeless, the children etc etc,

Are you sure? I am to young to remember her but I know that there are a lot of people who help others more than she did. She was just another celebrity.

She helped in the attitude people had against AIDS. Her step of shaking hands with someone with AIDS in 1987 was remarkable.

Lady Jean said:
She helped in the attitude people had against AIDS. Her step of shaking hands with someone with AIDS in 1987 was remarkable.

EXACTLY, the AIDS, the land mines, the cancer etc etc.

The official description from the publisher, Taschen :
(http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/books/photography/new/facts/03891.htm?lpage=93568)

Diana, Princess of Wales at her most beautiful: the last portrait session by Mario Testino

Just five months before her tragic death in August 1997, Princess Diana was photographed by Mario Testino for Vanity Fair. Diana, Princess of Wales by Mario Testino at Kensington Palace brings together the most beautiful images from this last portrait sitting, displaying Diana in a state of relaxation and intimacy unlike any other. The selection of about seventy photographs includes many unseen images which, alongside previously published images, fill in the untold story of the shoot.

Attachments

• va_testino_diana.jpg
    va_testino_diana.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 900
  • va_testino_diana_01.jpg
    va_testino_diana_01.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,474
AgnesK said:
Are you sure? I am to young to remember her but I know that there are a lot of people who help others more than she did. She was just another celebrity.
Off topic for this thread but in response to this statement I must point out that Gay communities in Australia, North America and Europe (at least) have a debt of gratitude to Princess Diana for her work in humanising HIV/AIDS. She did a great deal in reducing the stigma, and whatever the ups and downs of her personal life this is something in which she definitely made a difference. How many others, "celebrities" or public figures, can make the same claim?

Thanks for the pictures Rchainho! I just got the Testino book this week and love it! The pictures are amazing! Some of the pictures are a bit out of focus (that can happen when a photographer shoots in natural light, without a flash). But Diana was so photogenic (& Testino such a genius), that even the out of focus pics seem like works of art! I'd highly recommend this book for any Diana "fan".

Asmadasitgets2003 has already posted some fabulous pics in the Diana ... picture thread, part 3 (post #6). Here are two more ...

I'm in tears now, I miss her so much, this world needs her... maybe she was too angel to this world, she deserves something better
BTW the pictures are gorgeous ;)

Beautiful pictures! She was always so pretty but I think she had gotten prettier with age.:)

Last edited:
Warren said:
Off topic for this thread but in response to this statement I must point out that Gay communities in Australia, North America and Europe (at least) have a debt of gratitude to Princess Diana for her work in humanising HIV/AIDS. She did a great deal in reducing the stigma, and whatever the ups and downs of her personal life this is something in which she definitely made a difference. How many others, "celebrities" or public figures, can make the same claim?

I remember when I was young I was afraid of people who had AIDS. Diana was the first person-or should I say celebrity-I had ever seen touching the victims of this horrible disease. This gave me courage. And I am not afraid any more because of Diana. As a medic in the Army during hospital duty I never feared tending to them or anyone else with an infectious disease.

Besides the Testino photographs, 9 of Diana's gowns are also on exhibit at Kensington Palace. All of the gowns were sold at the Christie's auction in June 1997. They are on loan from the current owners.

Photos: Joe Little

casual pic

wlb825 said:
I think the pink tshirt / overalls photos was taken the same day as the portraits in blue chiffon strapless Grace Kelly-style gown. It seems like they asked to take a photo of her in the clothes she arrived in. I have seen photos of her at polo, playing with Prince William (including one where he is swinging her pocketbook) , in that same casual outfit - maybe it was the same day?

Lady Jean said:
I think the pink tshirt / overalls photos was taken the same day as the portraits in blue chiffon strapless Grace Kelly-style gown. It seems like they asked to take a photo of her in the clothes she arrived in. I have seen photos of her at polo, playing with Prince William (including one where he is swinging her pocketbook) , in that same casual outfit - maybe it was the same day?
I loved those polo pictures Lady Jean. I think they were taken just 4 days after the "overalls" studio portrait. And in the polo pictures Diana is wearing the same style top but in a slightly different colour I think.

Photos:T. Donovan, J. Bennett & D. Levinson

wlb825 said:
Post #27, and Post #86 from Micas in this thread: young Diana in a burgundy suit w/cream blouse

Can anyone tell me when this photo was released? I'm thinking it was for her 21st birthday in 1982, but I know she is wearing a regular, non-maternity, suit....so soon after William's birth?

Last edited:
Lady Jean said:
Post #27, and Post #86 from Micas in this thread: young Diana in a burgundy suit w/cream blouse

Can anyone tell me when this photo was released? I'm thinking it was for her 21st birthday in 1982, but I know she is wearing a regular, non-maternity, suit....so soon after William's birth?

This portrait was on the Nov. 19 1982 cover of Paris Match, so it was obviously taken sometime before then.

I believe you are right Lady Jean that is was a picture released in celebration of Diana's 21st birthday. Until recently, I had always thought that the 21st birthday portraits (posts #49, 87 & 88) were photographed by Snowdon sometime in Mar or Apr 1982 because Diana's face did look a bit fuller, like she could be 6 or 7 months pregnant. But last month, I saw one of these portraits in a January 1982 issue of the London Times in an article saying that stamps bearing this new portrait would be released later in the year to celebrate her July 1st birthday. So now I'm guessing these series of portraits were taken in Dec. or even November 1981. If that is the case, then it is possible that the portrait you are referring to Lady Jean was taken then too, since Diana was still fairly slim. (Hope this hasn't been too confusing!!);):)

Elementary, my dear Watson...

Squidgy, have you thought of a career in forensic science or as a private detective? If I can speak on behalf of the members, we are impressed. :)

Warren said:
Squidgy, have you thought of a career in forensic science or as a private detective? If I can speak on behalf of the members, we are impressed. :)

LOL! That's very sweet of you to say Warren!:) No, I have never thought of a career in forensic science (can't stand gory stuff) or as a private detective (but that would be a good possibility. Hmmm! Time for a career change?)

Of course you would have been equally justified in saying: "Squidgy, you are one crazy & strange gal to be so obsessed with dating pictures of Diana!??!" ;):D:D

Please don't ask why I am obsessed! I haven't a clue - I just am! That's all I know! :eek:

I do know that one of the many things I love about this Forum is that I have found other people that are just as obsessed, or even more so, than me! :eek::D I have learned so much from them!

Great info Squidgy and it makes sense. When I asked "does anyone know" what I really meant was, "Squidgy, when you get a chance can you look this up?" ....or maybe with your fantastic memory and knowledge you don't even have to do that!:)

According to Trevor Hall's Born To Be King, the 21st Birthday portrait (Post #88) with the large sapphire earrings and mandarin collar was taken in April 1982.

Last edited:
Lady Jean said:
Great info Squidgy and it makes sense. When I asked "does anyone know" what I really meant was, "Squidgy, when you get a chance can you look this up?" ....or maybe with your fantastic memory and knowledge you don't even have to do that!:)

According to Trevor Hall's Born To Be King, the 21st Birthday portrait (Post #88) with the large sapphire earrings and mandarin collar was taken in April 1982.
Now, you've really got me stumped Lady Jean!;)

I guess I've always assumed that all the 21st birthday portraits were taken on the same day. It seems strange to think that she had two photo sessions with Lord Snowdon in a 6 month period, but it sounds like that's what happened, if Trevor Hall is right.

Do you think her hair looks different in the pictures?? I'm really not good with such details, so I can't tell. We need a "Diana hair" expert.:D

I was comparing her hair in the four photos the other night to try to gauge the date but then came across the notation in the T.Hall book so I stopped. I think the burgundy suit and blue blouse (#87 closed-mouth smile) were one day, and the white blouses another day, but I could be wrong. Her roots are so visible and her highlights so light in the white blouse photos.

Last edited:
Yes, I see what you mean Lady Jean - the colouring of her hair does look different between the 2 sets of pictures. Also, the feathering in her hair seems to be more defined in the "white blouse" pictures.

And now I'm wondering, if she had two photoshoots with Snowdon in a short period of time (one sometime around Nov/Dec 81, the other in April 82), maybe she had a third one too, sometime in late summer/early fall 1982? Perhaps that is when the portrait you originally inquired about was taken?? Because she was seen wearing that rust coloured suit in early Sept. 1982 when returning to London from her Balmoral holiday (photo below).

Like has been said many times before on this forum, wouldn't it be nice to have someone do a book of her portraits? I'd buy a "Diana portraits" book anyday over yet another tell all book;)

Photo: Rex

Don't forget the first wedding anniversary photos with Prince Charles and tiny Prince William - another session with Snowdon? Her hair is definitely much different in those than the other solo portraits.

Lady Jean said:
Don't forget the first wedding anniversary photos with Prince Charles and tiny Prince William - another session with Snowdon? Her hair is definitely much different in those than the other solo portraits.
Ooops! I did forget that one. So yes, another photo session with Snowdon that year. I think he said in his book that those pictures were taken right before Charles' & Diana's wedding anniversery. I believe they were taken on July 20th 1982.

Ugh I'm so frustrated been trying to get on here for days and the server is always coming up too busy.
Anyway I think I got the jest of this thread but I can't say I have been able to read it all cause I'm getting booted out so
Anyway I do know the date of that picture of diana in the blue ruffled neck (portrait). I always loved that one and the rust coloured suit one mainly cause we hardly ever seen them . I have Majesty & Rm right from the start and I don't recall it ever being in the magazines which is odd but I think the reason the blue ruffled portrait wasn't is cause that picture was done exclusively for the 21st bday stamps it was commissioned by the crown agents. I have 2 newspaper clippings/articles date January 27 & 28, 1982. The first is called "First Class" about this portrait shown on a stamp and wondering who the photographer was and discussing her new longer hair do and the fact she's pregnant the next day they had a article about the photographer who is Clive Friend. I don't really know anything about the rust coloured suit portrait I mean the date.
I love both these portrait probably cause we seen them so little.
I have to say I prefered the early Diana too in the later part of her life she was absolutely gorgeous but very model like and I preferred the more natural diana of the early 1980's

As usual, you are a wealth of information Canadiana.:) Thank you!

I had always assumed that the blue ruffled blouse portrait was taken by Snowdon, but then you mentioned Clive Friend & you are right. I found his website it says it is the first official portrait of Diana (I'm not too sure about that - wouldn't her wedding portrait be the first official pic of her as Princess of Wales? And then there were the engagement portraits). Also, they give the date it was taken as Dec 1979 (of course, they must mean Dec 1981 since they say she had just announced her pregnancy). So at least we are pretty sure when this one was taken ... now about that rust coloured suit one that Lady Jean initially asked about .... still a bit of a mystery, I guess

To see the Diana portrait, click on "Contact the image" and then click on the Diana pic.
http://www.the-image.co.uk/

Thanks Lady Jean & Canadiana for setting me straight!!!

Last edited:
Well Squidgy with your 'nancy drew' hat on I bet you can find out the story behind the rust coloured suit portrait. You thankfully always can get to the bottom of things???Funny I always thought it was 1983. I loved it cause in one she looks like she wants to burst out laughing.
I have to say I don't think Lord Snowdon always took the best pictures of Diana. Those KP pix released before the Aust/NZ tour in 1983 by Tim Graham were among the best I thought.
As for the blue ruffled picture well I sure hope diana didn't announce her pregnancy in Dec 1978!!! Obviously it's Dec 1981!!!!
We need to harass the publishing companies to produce a book on all diana portraits well except Testino since he just put one out. I for one would pay $100 to have such a book. I REALLY REALLY would love such a book and it would be so treasured just a dream I suppose.

Hey I just email this clive friend guy to tell him the dec 78 date is wrong also told him how much I LOVE that picture which I do.

Canadiana said:
I have to say I don't think Lord Snowdon always took the best pictures of Diana. Those KP pix released before the Aust/NZ tour in 1983 by Tim Graham were among the best I thought.

I totally agree with you. THose 1983 photos at home are some of her loveliest and she looks so fresh and pretty. The 1997 dresses auction pictures he took had unflattering light (she looked a bit old) and she looked uncomfortable and her makeup was not as flattering as usual.

Thank you for your helpful contributions Candiana and Squidgy.

Back
Top Bottom