Memories of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two memories:

1) Diana and Sarah poking guests at Ascot with their umbrellas. Sure, they were criticized for it, but in hindsight, innocent hijinks. Their friendship, however it concluded, was a lovely thing to observe over the years.

2) Diana practically dancing down Brittania to swing open her arms wide to scoop up her boys into a hug while in Toronto. One of her most iconic moments.

I think if I had to choose one memory of Diana that stood out for me, it would be one of the very early pictures of her. Standing in the garden of the kindergarten holding a child in her arms and holding the hands of another. The famous "skirt" photo. Many people only saw the wonderful legs.

It epitomized the caring soul aspect of Diana that was to be a part of her throughout her life. The warmth and compassion that she showed naturally to those that she met and instantly connected with. No matter what issues and troubles Diana went through in her short lifetime, her natural empathy for people other than herself was one of her most endearing qualities.

She had a radiance about her that was just beautiful. I can well believe that people who met her felt the charisma.

I can believe it...she radiated enchantment just through her photos. I remember a very early photo of her(before her wedding) sitting at breakfast buttering a piece of toast for her step-brother. I think it was the Earl of Sunderland? Anyway she looked so beautiful and natural and simple. I like to remember her in that way, a chubby cheeked, naturally beautiful English Rose before she married into the BRF and everything became so complicated for her.

I still love Royal watching of course, but it just isn't the same for me anymore.

Diana took something very special with her when she left us.:sad:

Last edited:
There was a special connection Diana had with people. I love those pictures of her out on official engagements. I liked her business style too.

I don't know which thread to post this on but I believe today (British time) is the 36th anniversary of that beautiful wedding at St Paul's Cathedral in London.

Thirty six years since a girlfriend and I sat glued to the TV, only moving for a scratch meal or two, seeing and hearing the huge crowds roaring and cheering, the guests arriving, known and unknown, a beautiful Diana in tiara and THAT dress, seemingly creased but miraculously smoothed out by the Emmanuels, the wonderful coach, Dame Kiri singing in the cathedral, the kiss on the balcony, the Queen looking happy. What a beautiful day it was! It seemed just magical!

Too sad now to remember. Not that I found it THAT interesting, at the time. It was enjoyable but still rather too long a day and I did watch some of it but certainly moved away from the TV. now Andrew and Sarah, I missed their wedding and it has never realy turned up on TV since then

It really was a magical day. I was 19 that summer and quite caught up in the romance of the whole thing. I missed Diana in her going away outfit,
but I watched the rest of it. What I remember most is the feeling of great hope for the new Princess of Wales' future. Everything seemed so sunny and sure.

Thirty six years since a girlfriend and I sat glued to the TV, only moving for a scratch meal or two, seeing and hearing the huge crowds roaring and cheering, the guests arriving, known and unknown, a beautiful Diana in tiara and THAT dress, seemingly creased but miraculously smoothed out by the Emmanuels, the wonderful coach, Dame Kiri singing in the cathedral, the kiss on the balcony, the Queen looking happy. What a beautiful day it was! It seemed just magical!

Here's a documentary, Unseen Diana, with photos and home movie clips, etc., taken by royal fans when Diana visited them privately in their home, and also footage taken of Diana during some public occasions...

I'll never forget opening my door one morning in August 1997 to pick up my newspaper and seeing a picture of Diana splashed across the front page. I had to do a double take when I read the accompanying headline that she was dead. My heart skipped a beat. I really couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
:previous: This is a lovely documentary. I saw it a little while ago. :flowers:

Ian 'Molly' Meldrum was a music legend in Australia during the 'Countdown' years. He interviewed all the international big music acts of the time, and was the man who stuttered and stammered when Prince Charles visited the Countdown studio. I'm glad he's got some stories of Diana to treasure. We are an informal and friendly country and it's great that both Diana and Charles loved being here so much, though it's a shame Diana didn't eat the fish and chips! I hope for many more visits for their sons.

Just off topic for a moment. Molly Meldrum with Prince Charles.

:previous: Thank you, Sun Lion and Curryong! I enjoy reading about the young Lady Diana/Princess of Wales, and the video was really funny. There have been so many new stories out lately during this sad anniversary, and most of them are enjoyable ones. :flowers:

Poor Molly Curryong - cringeworthy then, cringeworthy now. Still, he went on to have a personal association with Diana, so good on him.

Yes, Mermaid1962 - I'm enjoying all the info coming out about the early days. I always thought Diana spent all her time at Yass. Only went there when Mollymook was on the press's radar.

There are also quotes from the real-estate lady who developed a relationship with Diana's mother over ten years renting her the Mollymook property - and how lovely Frances was. (Not sure if I posted that above or not, but easy to find on the internet.)

Interesting that Diana had that time - most of it - at the beach, going to "The Beach Hut" fish and chip shop daily, (though not eating). Sounds like one or both sisters may have been with her and her mother, certainly not just Diana and Frances in Australia together.

And what a carry-on to get out of Australia and back to the U.K. I'm glad some of these details are now coming out. Some Oz magazines are carrying these details the last week or two - I didn't realise until I saw them.

Lovely that Diana and her mother had such a lark about some of it, and shared that with each other.

What a very cute story about Diana being smuggled out of Australia and under the noses of the pesky press! I think it shows too where Diana got a lot of her people skills from. Both parents seem to have been people persons, unsnobbish, lavish with thankyou letters and notes of acknowledgement, friendly etc. It was very nice of Frances Shand Kydd to do that for a man who helped Diana and herself, even if it was only a brief aquaintance.

What was Diana's magic?

Hello people,

I was born in 92' and I vaguely remember Diana as a child and what I remember so strikingly and what remains with me was that there was just *SOMETHING* about her that resonated with me, and apparently a lot of other people.

I'm 25 now and I still feel the same warmth towards her that I did as a child. What was it about this lady that made her so special and significant? What was the star quality, Je' ne sais quoi, charisma, presence or "magic" that she seemed to radiate so freely?

All answers welcomed.

she had star quality. It just is something you can't explain.. and it didn't affect everyone.. Many people were indifferent to her, and many people seem to vehemently dislike her...

I agree. Some people just have natural charisma that draws people to them like bees to honey. We see this in other people too.

Charisma is just an outer coating of who a person really is. Kind of like the expression "all that glitters is not gold".

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana was beautifiul and had a special quality, that the camera loved. She drew people to care for her. They cared for her because there was a vulnerability about her..

Charisma is in the eye of the beholder and most certainly Diana had it by the bucketfuls. I never thought she was a great beauty but she did know how to use her physical appearance in the best way possible and was a very attractive woman. She has very expressive eyes. One of her main qualities was her graceful demeanor and she would move and glide like a dancer. Years of ballet training taught her that. She was a well put together package that really worked for her.

She was popular and loved by the camera - even when she was a rather dowdily dressed nursery assitatn who didn't dye her hair or try to look glamourous most of the time....

True. She was naturally expressive. The "Shy Di" with those eyes! That's actually what I remember most about Diana. Her eyes. She also had a very whimsical smile at times as if she knew a secret and wasn't telling.

Posts unrelated to the topic have been edited/removed - this thread is about Diana.

Why should she dye her hair? Is it an obligation or what?

I would imagine stating that Diana didn't dye her hair was to imply that Diana was a "what you see is what you get look" without a lot of working at embellishing her looks with makeup, dying her hair or being a clothes horse. Once Diana married and had the option of using the best in hair, makeup and clothing, she did take advantage of it and it worked wonderfully for her.

:previous: IIRC Diana was highlighting her hair even when she was new to the media. In her earlier teens, her hair seemed to be darker and more reddish. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom