The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2017, 11:11 PM
Majesty

It really was a magical day. I was 19 that summer and quite caught up in the romance of the whole thing. I missed Diana in her going away outfit,
but I watched the rest of it. What I remember most is the feeling of great hope for the new Princess of Wales' future. Everything seemed so sunny and sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Thirty six years since a girlfriend and I sat glued to the TV, only moving for a scratch meal or two, seeing and hearing the huge crowds roaring and cheering, the guests arriving, known and unknown, a beautiful Diana in tiara and THAT dress, seemingly creased but miraculously smoothed out by the Emmanuels, the wonderful coach, Dame Kiri singing in the cathedral, the kiss on the balcony, the Queen looking happy. What a beautiful day it was! It seemed just magical!

Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 AM
Nobility

Here's a documentary, Unseen Diana, with photos and home movie clips, etc., taken by royal fans when Diana visited them privately in their home, and also footage taken of Diana during some public occasions...

I'll never forget opening my door one morning in August 1997 to pick up my newspaper and seeing a picture of Diana splashed across the front page. I had to do a double take when I read the accompanying headline that she was dead. My heart skipped a beat. I really couldn't believe it.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Majesty

This is a lovely documentary. I saw it a little while ago.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 AM
Serene Highness

Diana in Australia before the engagement announcement - incognito in Mollymook and smuggled out during an airline strike.

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/t...25-gvs7wo.html

https://www.who.com.au/inside-diana-...p-to-australia

How Princess Diana was smuggled out of Australia by Qantas before her royal wedding to Prince Charles

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph
Old 09-12-2017, 03:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Ian 'Molly' Meldrum was a music legend in Australia during the 'Countdown' years. He interviewed all the international big music acts of the time, and was the man who stuttered and stammered when Prince Charles visited the Countdown studio. I'm glad he's got some stories of Diana to treasure. We are an informal and friendly country and it's great that both Diana and Charles loved being here so much, though it's a shame Diana didn't eat the fish and chips! I hope for many more visits for their sons.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Just off topic for a moment. Molly Meldrum with Prince Charles.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM
Majesty

Thank you, Sun Lion and Curryong! I enjoy reading about the young Lady Diana/Princess of Wales, and the video was really funny. There have been so many new stories out lately during this sad anniversary, and most of them are enjoyable ones.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness

Poor Molly Curryong - cringeworthy then, cringeworthy now. Still, he went on to have a personal association with Diana, so good on him.

Yes, Mermaid1962 - I'm enjoying all the info coming out about the early days. I always thought Diana spent all her time at Yass. Only went there when Mollymook was on the press's radar.

There are also quotes from the real-estate lady who developed a relationship with Diana's mother over ten years renting her the Mollymook property - and how lovely Frances was. (Not sure if I posted that above or not, but easy to find on the internet.)

Interesting that Diana had that time - most of it - at the beach, going to "The Beach Hut" fish and chip shop daily, (though not eating). Sounds like one or both sisters may have been with her and her mother, certainly not just Diana and Frances in Australia together.

And what a carry-on to get out of Australia and back to the U.K. I'm glad some of these details are now coming out. Some Oz magazines are carrying these details the last week or two - I didn't realise until I saw them.

Lovely that Diana and her mother had such a lark about some of it, and shared that with each other.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

What a very cute story about Diana being smuggled out of Australia and under the noses of the pesky press! I think it shows too where Diana got a lot of her people skills from. Both parents seem to have been people persons, unsnobbish, lavish with thankyou letters and notes of acknowledgement, friendly etc. It was very nice of Frances Shand Kydd to do that for a man who helped Diana and herself, even if it was only a brief aquaintance.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana