Memories of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It captured majorities imagination of a soon to be princess and sparkly tiara and the music just everything about it.

and we know that the marriage was a total disaster that boht parties were scared and unsure if they were doing the right thing, and it was a very unhappy marriage which almost destroyed the monarchy. I can't see anything very wonderful about that....

and we know that the marriage was a total disaster that boht parties were scared and unsure if they were doing the right thing, and it was a very unhappy marriage which almost destroyed the monarchy. I can't see anything very wonderful about that....

This was about Diana walking down the aisle nothing else.

I'm with Kitty1224 on this one. Diana was the epitome of a "fairy tale princess" as she walked into St. Paul Cathedral on that day. Its no wonder that so many people believed in the "fairy tale" wedding of the century. Diana's train alone surpassed any before seen in British royal weddings.

Last edited:
Hmm, she did look radiant, her dress was crumpled and she was on her way to becoming The Princess of Wales, not a Princess of the UK, in her own right.

Hmm, she did look radiant, her dress was crumpled and she was on her way to becoming The Princess of Wales, not a Princess of the UK, in her own right.

WHo said she was going to become a Princess in her own right?

I'm with Kitty1224 on this one. Diana was the epitome of a "fairy tale princess" as she walked into St. Paul Cathedral on that day. Its no wonder that so many people believed in the "fairy tale" wedding of the century. Diana's train alone surpassed any before seen in British royal weddings.
but didn't it kill the idea of a fairy tale Princess? Diana looked lovely, she with her advisers created a beautiful image of a lovely young woman, a beautiful dress a wonderful ceremony... but the reality was so very different

but didn't it kill the idea of a fairy tale Princess? Diana looked lovely, she with her advisers created a beautiful image of a lovely young woman, a beautiful dress a wonderful ceremony... but the reality was so very different

Well that's true. We all know her reality sucked compare to her public image. Still she had a special quality that was very rare. Whether it was being a fairtyale princess or fashion icon or a phenomenon, she had it.

Well that's true. We all know her reality sucked compare to her public image. Still she had a special quality that was very rare. Whether it was being a fairtyale princess or fashion icon or a phenomenon, she had it.

I think there we have the difference. She was all the things you've stated, Kitty, but I notice one thing missing on that list and that would be "a senior working royal for the British monarchy". She wasn't a good team player and worked more against the monarchy than for it over her lifetime as a royal.

Last edited:
I think there we have the difference. She was all the things you've stated, Kitty, but I notice one thing missing on that list and that would be "a senior working royal for the British monarchy". She wasn't a good team player and worked more against the monarchy than for it over her lifetime as a royal.

Yeah I agree, but she also was a great ambassadress for the UK. Probably made the UK seem bigger than it actually was.

Anything she would have done as Princess of Wales abroad would have been decided on by the government of the day and approved by HM, The Queen and wasn't solely Diana. She did what she was told to do and represented the Queen.

Anything she would have done as Princess of Wales abroad would have been decided on by the government of the day and approved by HM, The Queen and wasn't solely Diana. She did what she was told to do and represented the Queen.

She was in my opinion a great princess and ambassador for her time on Earth. I'll leave it at that :)

That's not entirely true. She could not help the fact that her charm and special quality made her get more attention than Charles did...and for a long time, she did work for the RF/UK. She still after her separation from Charles, tried to use her skills for the UK, though I agree that she did at times try to use the charm to hit at Charles.. She was a senior royal working not only for the Monarchy but also for the UK

Y'know, I do have to agree with you on this, Denville. It shows me that, in some ways, I haven't been fair and balanced when it comes to Diana, her life and times and her work as a member of the British Royal Family. One thing though is apparent to me and that is that Diana cannot and should not be seen in either black or white (good or bad, saint or sinner) but as an unique human being. Public and private lives can be on opposite ends of the spectrum.

To often we get snookered into only seeing the black or only seeing the white. This really hit home for me, for example, a celebrity that was known far and wide as "America's Dad" and received 70 honorary degrees from universities and many other awards and honors. Turns out the man wasn't who we believed him to be and of 70 of the honorary degrees, 58 have been rescinded. He is now serving a 3-10 year prison sentence.

Last edited:
Of couse she was not either all bad or all good... But overall, I think she was a vulnlernable damaged young woman who was at times unable to cope with the difficutlies of her life and she behaved badly sometimes...but overall, she was struggling to do good as well as fall down at times.

But overall, I think she was a vulnlernable damaged young woman who was at times unable to cope with the difficutlies of her life and she behaved badly sometimes...but overall, she was struggling to do good as well as fall down at times.

With the hassles presented in traveling and especially for her, I find it odd she sought escapist, exhilarating jaunts, to islands, or ski holidays. Conversely, it's sort of admirable seeing her in Gstaad as a teen, with race type ski ware along with her chums. Somehow, cushy resort skiing as an adult seems somewhat out of character with her work.

Her life was said to be influenced by meeting Mother Theresa, where common values for the poor were shared, but the one had no interest in moguls, or jet skiing in the Caribbean. After the wedding, travelling was surely part of her raison d'etre but..

<Barbuda trips into the 90's..what the point was of her going there, besides a tan ??

Last edited:
With the hassles presented in traveling especially for her, I find it odd that she seemed so wrapped up in escapist, exhilarating jaunts, to the most incredible islands, or ski holidays. Conversely, it's sort of admirable seeing her in Gstaad as a teen, with race type ski ware and her chums. Somehow, her going skiing as an adult, seems slightly out character next to charity work she did.

Her life was said to changed sometime in '87 after meeting Mother Theresa, a person that had no interest in moguls, or jet skiing in the Caribbean. She travelled a lot with Charles, and probably decided it did her a lot of good. The Barbuda trips for example, what was the point of short stays there ?

Maybe curiosity?

With the hassles presented in traveling especially for her, I find it odd that she seemed so wrapped up in escapist, exhilarating jaunts, to the most incredible islands, or ski holidays. Conversely, it's sort of admirable seeing her in Gstaad as a teen, with race type ski ware along with chums. Somehow, her going skiing as an adult seems a little bit out character next to charity work she did.

Her life was said to be influenced upon meeting Mother Theresa, where common values for the poor were shared, but one had no interest in moguls, or jet skiing in the Caribbean. After the wedding, travelling may have been part of her raison d'etre.

<Barbuda trips later on in the 90's..what the point was of her being there, besides a tan ??

Why on earth should she not travel for pleasure?? she was a very rich woman, had a stressful life, in the UK, in emotional terms and she's not allowed to go for enjoyable holidays to escpae for a bit? Just because she does charity work, like all royals, she's not allowed to have fun?

Why on earth should she not travel for pleasure?? she was a very rich woman, had a stressful life, in the UK, in emotional terms and she's not allowed to go for enjoyable holidays to escpae for a bit? Just because she does charity work, like all royals, she's not allowed to have fun?

That type of fun which depends so heavily on money, though you're right she was capable of making it happen, and why not live life to the fullest ? My guess is she would have been just as well served enjoying herself in local areas and without making a big fuss out of the exotic locations. Many of the ultra chic spots are charming, but even if one can afford them the prices are thru the roof. A lot of money is simply squandered, for a few days of 'fun'.

Last edited:
I think with Diana taking the "high end" kind of trips such as Disney World with the boys and sun and surf fun vacations and with Charles' fondness for peace and solitude at Balmoral, both William and Harry grew up with a balanced view of what "fun" was.

To each their own. If Diana had the money to spend to go where she enjoyed, more power to her. To her it wasn't a waste. Charles would have seen these kind of trips as the kind he'd rather have a root canal first before going on but his idea of relaxation and Diana's were totally different.

Its all a matter of what floats one's boat. Money really doesn't play into it when there's a hefty bank account at one's disposal.

That type of fun which depends so heavily on money, though you're right she was capable of making it happen, and why not live life to the fullest ? My guess is she would have been just as well served enjoying herself in local areas and without making a big fuss out of the exotic locations. Many of the ultra chic spots are charming, but even if one can afford them the prices are thru the roof. A lot of money is simply squandered, for a few days of 'fun'.

So what? just because one person can't afford an exotic holiday, or would be happy with a local holiday, hardly means that those who can afford it should pass up on it. Brtisih weather isn't exactly wonderful, and not everyone enjoys "balmoral in the rain" like the queen....

I think with Diana taking the "high end" kind of trips such as Disney World with the boys and sun and surf fun vacations and with Charles' fondness for peace and solitude at Balmoral, both William and Harry grew up with a balanced view of what "fun" was.

To each their own. If Diana had the money to spend to go where she enjoyed, more power to her. To her it wasn't a waste. Charles would have seen these kind of trips as the kind he'd rather have a root canal first before going on but his idea of relaxation and Diana's were totally different.

Its all a matter of what floats one's boat. Money really doesn't play into it when there's a hefty bank account at one's disposal.

Charles does go for sunny foreign holidays too.. and even if he didn't, I can't see what is wrong with Dianas enjoying herself travelling somewhere exotic. Considering how sadly short her life was, I am glad that she did at least have those opportunities to travel and go places to have fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Barbuda at that time was known as an exclusive hideaway secret, offering mostly a pristine and almost deserted quiet beach. It also had none of the usual charm of the Caribbean, like musicians playing steel drums in the vicinity. Not one (?) restaurant to eat out, town market to visit, etc.

It is reminiscent of the film Castaway. The idea of being shipwrecked somewhere, and virtually no one is around. I guess that could have been healing for her in some way.

Last edited:
I was reading the amount of countries she visited. Must have been over 50. She visited 5 continents!!!

I was reading the amount of countries she visited. Must have been over 50. She visited 5 continents!!!

Hardly surprising since she was a Princess of a country that has global connextions… In today's world, having been in that position for 16 years she was bound to have travelled a lot both on official duties and on holidays

It's not just that she could afford to travel anywhere. She had a lot of very rich friends who had houses & estates all over the world, which could offer her (& her boys) relaxation, fun, security & relative privacy in a beautiful setting.

It was easier for her to achieve privacy if she had a friend with an estate abroad, where she could take the boys and avoid the media. Didn't work if she wanted to sy go skiing, in Europe where the Paparazzi were very aggressive.. but it did work in some places.. If she managed to avoid the press getting away, she could sometimes manage a fairly seclcuded and enjoyable holiday

Hardly surprising since she was a Princess of a country that has global connextions… In today's world, having been in that position for 16 years she was bound to have travelled a lot both on official duties and on holidays

I’m just saying she did travel a lot when she wasn’t a princess anymore and when she was separated. She didn’t have to but she did.

I’m just saying she did travel a lot when she wasn’t a princess anymore and when she was separated. She didn’t have to but she did.

Yes she took a lot of holidays, in her post divorce life.. and she still did some work related travel.

She wanted to keep up some charity work and it involved travelling. She visited Bosnia and Africa, to publicise her landmines campaign.. I remember a trip to S America..

If only she had gone to visit some American friends rather than the Fayeds during that summer of 1997! :sad:

It's not just that she could afford to travel anywhere. She had a lot of very rich friends who had houses & estates all over the world, which could offer her (& her boys) relaxation, fun, security & relative privacy in a beautiful setting.

Back
Top Bottom