The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't think memories such as those fade away all to easily. Diana and her boys took many wonderful trips together and if there's one thing I can say about Diana is that she excelled at being a mother to her two boys. Not only the fun and games vacation times but she wanted to know and cared about all aspects of their lives and very openly showed how much she loved them. Those kind of things stick with you forever.

I can imagine that getting together around the holidays both William and Harry both do a lot of "remember when..." kind of reminiscing. Even as older adults, my brother and I still like to recall those days when we were kids growing up with mom and dad and different occasions.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes indeed. In those days magazines really did rule the roost, didn't they? Most women would buy at least one a week and pore over pages and pages of Diana and her fashions, Diana and her boys, her new hairstyles, her warmth and enthusiasm when she undertook her public engagements. Nowadays print media is just fighting for its very survival.

Hah.
Ugh the odd time I look at a magazine nowadays, I can't beleive teh people who are the subjects of articles.. So i dont read them,

Old 07-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Wayne Sleep Remembers Diana-
https://amp.theguardian.com/artandde...ce-wayne-sleep

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-16-2017, 02:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Australian women's weekly has photos and memories of Diana special. Really lovely
Old 07-16-2017, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, my daughter snaffled that one before me from the newsagents, so I'll read it after her and then keep it! A policeman at work guarded her on her first trip to Aus and I put his lovely memories of her and their conversation together on another thread.

I remember seeing her on that trip in a lovely silk gown for an evening engagement in Melbourne, looking soft and lovely, just like a little peach, then in England, with William and Harry when they were still young. Then in Australia again with equally enthusiastic crowds when things privately were going haywire, though you wouldn't have known it from her bearing and her smile. She has a special place in my heart.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:14 AM
Courtier

William's own words on his mother .....

"She smothered us with love that's for sure"

I think of all the good Diana undoubtly did (the list is endless) in her young life, being the best mum she could be to her boys is mostly likely her proudest and effortless achievement.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Memories of Diana

Curryong
What lovely memories you have of her.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, and on two of those occasions it was cold weather, but I'm so glad I turned out and saw her. I thought and think Diana was wonderful.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Majesty

I wish that I could have seen her in person.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

She had a radiance about her that was just beautiful. I can well believe that people who met her felt the charisma.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:36 AM
Aristocracy

Two memories:

1) Diana and Sarah poking guests at Ascot with their umbrellas. Sure, they were criticized for it, but in hindsight, innocent hijinks. Their friendship, however it concluded, was a lovely thing to observe over the years.

2) Diana practically dancing down Brittania to swing open her arms wide to scoop up her boys into a hug while in Toronto. One of her most iconic moments.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think if I had to choose one memory of Diana that stood out for me, it would be one of the very early pictures of her. Standing in the garden of the kindergarten holding a child in her arms and holding the hands of another. The famous "skirt" photo. Many people only saw the wonderful legs.

It epitomized the caring soul aspect of Diana that was to be a part of her throughout her life. The warmth and compassion that she showed naturally to those that she met and instantly connected with. No matter what issues and troubles Diana went through in her short lifetime, her natural empathy for people other than herself was one of her most endearing qualities.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
She had a radiance about her that was just beautiful. I can well believe that people who met her felt the charisma.
I can believe it...she radiated enchantment just through her photos. I remember a very early photo of her(before her wedding) sitting at breakfast buttering a piece of toast for her step-brother. I think it was the Earl of Sunderland? Anyway she looked so beautiful and natural and simple. I like to remember her in that way, a chubby cheeked, naturally beautiful English Rose before she married into the BRF and everything became so complicated for her.

I still love Royal watching of course, but it just isn't the same for me anymore.

Diana took something very special with her when she left us.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-22-2017, 06:24 AM
Heir Apparent

A nice write-up, complete with his own photos of a fan who became a keen follower of Diana, looking back on his memories of her...

https://princessdianabookboutique.wo...-david-butler/
Old 07-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A nice write-up, complete with his own photos of a fan who became a keen follower of Diana, looking back on his memories of her...

Lovely story, especially like the last bit about the picture
Old 07-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Amazing ! Wonderful memories
Old 07-22-2017, 08:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

There was a special connection Diana had with people. I love those pictures of her out on official engagements. I liked her business style too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Wonderful! I follow David Butler on Twitter, and he often posts his pictures of Diana.

Quote:

Old 07-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know which thread to post this on but I believe today (British time) is the 36th anniversary of that beautiful wedding at St Paul's Cathedral in London.

Thirty six years since a girlfriend and I sat glued to the TV, only moving for a scratch meal or two, seeing and hearing the huge crowds roaring and cheering, the guests arriving, known and unknown, a beautiful Diana in tiara and THAT dress, seemingly creased but miraculously smoothed out by the Emmanuels, the wonderful coach, Dame Kiri singing in the cathedral, the kiss on the balcony, the Queen looking happy. What a beautiful day it was! It seemed just magical!
Old 07-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Too sad now to remember. Not that I found it THAT interesting, at the time. It was enjoyable but still rather too long a day and I did watch some of it but certainly moved away from the TV. now Andrew and Sarah, I missed their wedding and it has never realy turned up on TV since then

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana