The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is an interesting piece of footage

Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Nobility

Just found a long article remembering Diana. There are a lot of lovely stories of her.

Midwest Today: Princess Diana

The one I really like is the story about a old woman cried when Diana visited her hospital, because she hadn't had time to change her clothes to meet Diana, and she felt embarrassed by the outfit she was wearing. Then Diana showed her magic way to comfort people -- she took off a piece of her own jewelry and pinned it to the woman's dress, and said "There. That will make it look better."

She always behaved so naturally among people.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Aristocracy

Maybe she was like that because, even though she had a royal title, a part of her was like the common folk and she was showing people she could relate to their problems, too?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Aristocracy

she was a very wonderful person
Old 06-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
Just found a long article remembering Diana. There are a lot of lovely stories of her.
I thought this story from Mr. Seabrooke was very touching. Its the first I've heard of it. Overall a very interesting article.

Quote:
Among those drawn to Kensington Palace to pay respects to Princess Diana after her death was Vincent Seabrook, 27, who was sleeping in a doorway in central London when the Princess spotted him and stopped to chat.
He says their chance meeting saved his life. "Without her help, I really believe I would be dead by now," he asserts.
Now working as a security guard and with his own home, he carried a handmade plaque to leave with the floral tributes. On it he wrote: "Diana, I will never forget you. I met you twice and, at the time, I was homeless. You came to me and asked how long I had been on the streets. You then went and got me something to eat and drink. It was very cold and wet on that night.
"The next time I saw you I remember you saying to me: 'I will get you somewhere to live.' And you did. You asked me about my life and I told you about the abuse I went through when I was a kid, and I could see you had tears in your eyes.
"You have a very caring heart, and I will never forget the help you gave me. Love from Vincent."
Seabrook said the Princess wrote two letters to him after their meetings in the street, expressing her continued interest in his case. This follow-up is another unpublicized aspect of Diana's human touch.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Nobility

I think it was a very spontaneous and genuine act of her to help the poor guy. But it is still a surprise to me to read that she had tears in her eyes when she heard about that man's abusive childhood. I think Diana must be a very emotional person.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I think it was a very spontaneous and genuine act of her to help the poor guy. But it is still a surprise to me to read that she had tears in her eyes when she heard about that man's abusive childhood. I think Diana must be a very emotional person.
she was a very selfless and i admire her for that she was very genuine i just love her i wish she was still around
Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Serene Highness

This is why Diana was so loved by others. Her kindness towards others who suffered pain and hardship. You can generally tell when someone is geniune and when someone is fake. She could relate to others in a way that others in her family couldn't.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Guys, this thread is meant for members' memories of the late Diana, or interesting and insightful perspectives from other sources. It's not about what William allegedly told somebody regarding his father, or a general picture-posting thread.

We have many threads in the Diana, Princess of Wales subforum so please see if there is a more appropriate one and enjoy exploring the subforum while you do so.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Nobility

The following article gives a memory of Diana from Marion, a girl who Diana was friend with during her vacation with her boys on the Caribbean island of Barbuda, April 1997. The girl had a very sweet memory of her time with Diana and the boys. A very interesting reading. Don't miss it

The Express On Sunday Magazine :* Marion Remembers Her Good Friend Diana* - Princess Diana Remembered
Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

Not just emotional as I think that's a pretty generalized word to use. It is very easy to feel sympathetic towards another human being's plights but I think in Diana's case, she was empathetic to them.

As she had traumatic incidents in her own childhood, she could relate to Vincent on a different level (empathetic) perhaps than a person who had grown up in a loving, caring family environment would have (sympathetic).

People who are natural empaths often state that as well as being a blessing, it can also be a curse.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02
Meeting Diana
I found this album at flickr
Meeting Diana - a set on Flickr
Thrilled to see all these live photos! Congrats for being so assertive, I admire you for the way you did this, and the paparazzi were so kind to you! Wow, I was in London but did not have but a couple of days there. Did the usual tour around London, but knew I couldn't find out where Princess Di was. I want to go back and see where she was buried at Althorpe Estate. Have you been there? If so, what can you tell me about it

Thanks,
Perry, Greensboro, NC, USA
July 13, 2012
Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Nobility

It did take me sometime to figure out what is the difference between sympatheic dn empathetic. So english is not my mother-language.

I think Diana's trauma in her childhood was overstated. Hers was far away from being abuse. I think her own sons' childhood are more miserable than hers. We must give some credits to her parents.

I read a lot stories of Diana. The overall impression I have on her is, she was very easy to be drawn to tears, for all kinds of reasons. So easy that in some cases I thought the writer was making a story. However, after reading so many of them, I began to believe that she was just this kind of person.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think Diana's trauma in her childhood was overstated. Hers was far away from being abuse. I think her own sons' childhood are more miserable than hers. We must give some credits to her parents.
Are we discussing the same person? Diana's mother walked out and abandoned Diana and her young brother. When their father remarried, they had no particular affection for their stepmother, to put it mildly. You don't think that a child on the receiving end and experiencing at first hand this reversal of "maternal instinct" would have a greater chance of developing fear of abandonment issues and general relationship insecurity and carrying them into adult life?

Whatever the degree of tension in the Wales household, and it must have been most uncomfortable at times, I doubt that the childhood of William and Harry was "more miserable" than Diana's. There was no bitter custody battle fought out in court and despite the marriage failing both parents were there for the boys. They had no reason to fear that either parent would walk out on them and in any case such an action simply wasn't in Charles or Diana's makeup.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Nobility

I don't think Diana's mother abandoned her. Yes she didn't live with Diana under the same roof. But she was still very involved in Diana's life. And Diana spent her holiday in her mother's farm too. When Diana went to live in london, her apartment was provided by her Mother. And Diana herself had never said her mother had abandoned her.

I don't think the procedure of the custody battle had been ever exposed to the children. At the age of six, I don't think Diana had any idea of this. I know in later days, Diana described her childhood in a very bitter way. But in my opinion, it was partly due to she was in a bitter mood at that time, which made her look through her childhood with a grey glass.

Why I think William and Harry's childhood were more miserable? Not only they experienced a very public and bitter divorce of their parent, which they had very good knowledge from the press, but aslo they lost their mother at a young age.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But in my opinion, it was partly due to she was in a bitter mood at that time, which made her look through her childhood with a grey glass.
Though naturally, that is you placing your own interpretation on the matter. That doesn't make it a factual assessment.

People can still posses a strong sense of reality when dealing with personal difficulty. I'd be very surprised if her 'bitter mood', as you say, hindered her ability to reflect upon her chilhood with clarity.

By all accounts, Diana's childhood was far from idyllic and not without a degree of emotional unhapiness/trauma.

Keep in mind that perceptions and attitudes towards what constitutes mental illness and emotional behaviours etc can vary bewteen cultures (Western and Eastern).

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Nobility

I've never denied that Diana had mental illness. Her depression was so obvious. Okay I will stop here. I found that the talk is going into another topic which should not be discussed here.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not suggesting you have denied it. I merely noted the very real fact that often, mental illness and behavioural issues/subjection can be perceived differently amongst cultures.

You suggest that Diana is likely to have over dramatized her chilhood unhappiness because of her mood, at a point in time, where as I have no reason to doubt that upon refelction, she was quite dishearetened by what she could recall and as a consequence, it weighed heavily on her emotionally for some time as an adult.

As for my memory of Diana, it was that of a woman of elegant height and demeanour. Fair and quintessentially English to look at. Everything I thought a Princess to be.

I greatly admired her voice also. It was so pleasant and softly spoken. So articulate and mannered in it's execution.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

She certainly gave that impression when she cooperated with Morton in "Her True Story." She talked about hearing her mother driving away and being too afraid of the dark to comfort her crying four-year-old brother, who wanted his Mummy. She remembered that time as being a lonely little girl.

Quote:
And Diana herself had never said her mother had abandoned her.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

One of my favorite memories of Diana but this has to do with both her life and legacy. About a year ago I was on this website Tumblr going through pictures and I did a search on Diana and viewed many pictures and posts, but there was one post that caught my eye. A teenage boy who was part of this subculture called EMO wrote a post saying around the lines of, "Thanks to her I'm not afraid to admit I was a cutter and that I like myself now," that is just one of the many posts I've seen of people from teenagers to those in their twenties and above who have wrote how much she inspired and intrigued them. Finding these posts and many pictures of her is a delight, and I'm sure its making her smile wherever she is.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana